Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: -SD-
Thread ID: 4458
Thread Info
There are 45 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8216 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Xbox One
RiKo
@Tobalman Kiss I agree with you about the ownership. Obviously I would prefer things to stay as they are, but like i originally said if I *have* to pay a small fee. most of which goes towards the original developer of the game (I still believe this is good if that's the case), it wouldn't put me off buying an otherwise good console. Although it remains to be seen whether the XBox One will be a good console. I'm still leaning towards PS4. What would you do if Sony had gone with DRM? (they were considering it both for the PS3 and PS4) buy neither in your outrage? Smile

I think it's probably largely irrelevant because surely we will end up with downloadable games-only at some point in the future? I am not sure if you will be able to trade these (it has been talked about) but i imagine the original developer and console manufacturer would get a cut of the profit in that case anyway.

As for ethics and Microsoft it never stopped me buying a 360, and paying them a subscription fee. If that concerned me i would never have bought an Xbox. I think all big companies are the same and like you say that includes Apple (once the people's champion) I remember Nintendo and their dodgy practices with the NES and SNES. Incredibly unfair. Actually much worse than either Sony or Microsoft now, sometimes forcing game-developers under as a result and making consumers (kids) pay a *much* higher price for games than they should have done. (something which they were taken to court to for in the UK and lost).

I think competition is the only thing that makes a company appear fair and generous. Long may it continue (come back Sega! even though you too were an arse at times)
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Chiba3010
RiKo wrote:
I think competition is the only thing that makes a company appear fair and generous. Long may it continue (come back Sega! even though you too were an arse at times)

Damn f*ckn' straight, RiKo!! I also yearn for the Second Coming of Sega to the hardware battlegrounds. Even though the likelihood is virtually nonexistent, this Sega Fanboy will always yearn and the dream will never die. Echoing the words of Trent Reznor, I just want something I can never have. Bye
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

marktheshark
I'm already losing hope for next-gen. The Wii U will probably end up becoming the new Gamecube, and then there's this. I just don't think that the PS4 will be much better than the Wii U or XBONE.

I'm gonna sound crazy here, but another video game crash doesn't seem like a bad idea after all.
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

RiKo
Chiba wrote :- Damn f*ckn' straight, RiKo!! I also yearn for the Second Coming of Sega to the hardware battlegrounds. Even though the likelihood is virtually nonexistent, this Sega Fanboy will always yearn and the dream will never die. Echoing the words of Trent Reznor, I just want something I can never have.

haha yes would be great. coming back with Dreamcast 2 and Shenmue III would be even better Smile

MarkTheShark wrote :- The Wii U will probably end up becoming the new Gamecube,

That's what i thought, i still think it might do ok for Nintendo once they get their major franchises out but its not another Wii (1). I'm glad for them that they have 3DS

Chiba3010
One element that's sorely lacking is Japan's diminishing presence and prominence in the industry. What was once the lifeblood of cutting edge gaming, bold creativity and a willingness to try something totally unique and unproven has become a lost art. It's all about what's proven to be lucrative and beating it to death now. It's the gaming equivalent of all that's wrong on the sinking ship called Hollywood. Style over substance and little tolerance for experementation that might otherwise result in evolution or even revolution if given the chance. I'm praying for a return to form before mundane stagnation plunges the industry into a damaging creative depression.:(
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

Lavabeast
Out of the many reasons that once again Microsoft will alienate Japanese gamers and ultimately fail as a viable console maker there there is one that stands out to me right now. Its just too damn big...I mean it looks CDI big.
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

DarakuTenshi
I'm sure it's nowhere near the size of the early models of the CD-i.

Lavabeast
hahahahaha probably not

DarakuTenshi
Well, I saw a picture of it today with someone standing next to it and it does look that big. I'm just hoping it was a beta kind of like the huge "X" design for the original Xbox.

Lavabeast
:( Oh wow! Then it is even worse than I thought.

reelmojo
DarakuTenshi wrote:

Well, I saw a picture of it today with someone standing next to it and it does look that big. I'm just hoping it was a beta kind of like the huge "X" design for the original Xbox.
That giant X design was cool as hell. When I first saw a picture of it in a magazine I thought "Oh, please let that be the final design!" It wasn't, and I eventually bought one anyway, but I still wish I had one of those giant Xs instead.

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/image_151784_thumb_wide620_zpsee61aebb.jpg
So badass.

And now this post goes from the good old days to the bad new days...

Microsoft has clarified many questions about the XBox One that pertain to reselling your games, always on DRM, lending games to friends, and rentals. And don't fret, it's only 99% as bad as you thought it would be!

The future is grim.

Assuming there's games on it that I want to play my roommate and I are still probably going to get one since it'll just consider us family so we can play each other's games just as we do now. We also almost never resell our games so no problem there, although the probability of not being able to buy used games is disheartening. Also, a lot of people are assuming that the PS4 will work in a very similar way. The biggest problem I have with all of this? This is the future. Once consoles take steps to reduce piracy and bolster publisher income there will never be any going back and eventually we'll all just accept it as normal. We'll look at today's consoles the same way we look at something like the Sega CD now (it doesn't have any copy protection, so you can play burnt games on it with zero problem). The problem is that adding copy protection is anti-piracy, DRM and all this other shit is just anti-consumer.

So why do I still say I'll probably buy one? Because I love videogames. And as soon as they tell me Mirror's Edge 2 or Beyond Good and Evil 2 is coming out, no amount of rage is going to keep me from playing them.

RiKo
thanks for update Mojo Thumbs Up

the online verification troubles me, what if you lose internet or there's an apocalypse, its back to Dreamcast and Crazy Taxi (althought that could be a good thing). My wireless connection on 360 hasn't always been 100%. What will they do in countries where internet is isnt 100% adopted yet? What happens in 20 years when it's no longer supported, will you still be able to use this console to play games?

I know it bothers a lot of people but for me personally what they say about 2nd hand games is no problem if the console was good but I still dont see any reason why I should buy this over a PS4 which seems to be very games focussed and probably has higher specs and you can also buy 2nd hand games cheaper. Won't these consoles have pretty much the same games anyway? The days when you bought a PS2 to get GTA first or MGS and bought an Xbox to get Halo and er...maybe Project Gotham are gone surely. There is just the odd exclusive these days and often they are time-limited anyway. Lucky i didnt buy PS3 to get Last Guardian....

I dont really like how the console looks at the moment, to me it still looks like an 1980's video recorder without a video cassette slot - it's basically a box. I think Microsft has given up trying hard in Japan, they kissed it's ass with the last 2 Xboxes (they were incredibly cheap in Japan) and didnt get much luck, probably lost money overall in that region. I think that might also explain the more Western style design this time round (e.g. ugly and big)

On a positive note I've heard good things about the controller - a better d-pad, improved sticks and its interesting it has rumble motors in the triggers. but then I've heard the PS4 controller is much improved too. It will be interesting to see the games at E3. They had better be good because I think Microsoft is alienating a lot of it's core gamer audience at the moment.

reelmojo
I personally don't want to say that I prefer either system just yet because E3 isn't quite here. Of course at the moment the PS4 looks more tempting because it has a sequel to Infamous on it. I need that. But at E3 we'll finally see what games MS has to offer. I'm sure there will be minor surprises like Halo 5, but who knows what else.

As a consumer I'm just glad this generation doesn't seem to be ending just quite yet. The Wii was virtually abandoned the moment the WiiU came out, but traditionally this has not been the case and it's great to know that the other consoles still have great games to look forward to. Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto 5, Lightning Returns, and an improved version of Diablo 3 all instantly come to mind and that's without even knowing what E3 will bring.

DarakuTenshi

Thank you for posting that... I couldn't find any pictures of it.

-SD-
Microsoft have announced the console is launching this November for a mighty 429/499/$499, along with a load of 3D DRM-riddled games that I have no interest in.... I still reckon the hardware looks nice though.

I have no idea why people keep going on about how it looks like a Betamax player though... reminds me more of my Parents' old Bang & Olufsen VCR and DVD players.

They also quite randomly revealed a third revision of the current 360 hardware. It's the same price as the current models, and doesn't seem to offer any benefit other than matching the One.

img708.imageshack.us/img708/2411/imagerpe.jpg
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

RiKo
SD wrote:- I have no idea why people keep going on about how it looks like a Betamax player though... reminds me more of my Parents' old Bang & Olufsen VCR and DVD players

That's only me who says that. I've never had anything Bang & Olufsen to compare it to.

reelmojo
I think I'd like to rescind my earlier comment about wanting to buy an XBox One. Now that we know the PS4 treats game ownership the same way as it's always been and now that we've seen a lot of the games I see no reason to purchase an XB1 until a few years from now when they have enough exclusives and the price goes way down. As it is now the only have at MS's press conference that really got me excited was Titanfall, and that's also on PC and XBox 360. Dead Rising 3 looks cool, and Halo is always good so those will go on my list of games that I'll play a few years after release.

I'm seriously hoping Microsoft backpedals on all of the anti-consumer bullshit. Once the new consoles launch and they see how badly they're losing maybe they'll wise up. I bought an XBox before I ever had a PS2, I bought a 360 years before I cared to buy a PS3, but next generation I see no reason to continue the pattern.

Kazuya_UK
reelmojo wrote:

I think I'd like to rescind my earlier comment about wanting to buy an XBox One. Now that we know the PS4 treats game ownership the same way as it's always been and now that we've seen a lot of the games I see no reason to purchase an XB1 until a few years from now when they have enough exclusives and the price goes way down. As it is now the only have at MS's press conference that really got me excited was Titanfall, and that's also on PC and XBox 360. Dead Rising 3 looks cool, and Halo is always good so those will go on my list of games that I'll play a few years after release.

I'm seriously hoping Microsoft backpedals on all of the anti-consumer bullshit. Once the new consoles launch and they see how badly they're losing maybe they'll wise up. I bought an XBox before I ever had a PS2, I bought a 360 years before I cared to buy a PS3, but next generation I see no reason to continue the pattern.

^This...!

Honestly, I tend to buy every console and I'm never a fan boy of anything (other than Neo Geo of course!!!), but I barely touch my PS3 other than to play some blu rays now and again, so I'm much more of an Xbox gamer. So far with the next gen though, although there are probably more exclusives that I'm bothered about on the Xbox One, overall Sony is winning at the moment hands down. Having worked in a small video game store years ago, the issue with second hand games especially pisses me off... without second hand games, the few independent retailers we have left would probably go under as there's little profit to be made from brand new games, believe me.

Seeing as you have to jump through hoops to even give a game away to a friend when you're done with it, it's like they want you to pay full price for the privilege of renting a game. Utter bs.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
RiKo
I think Microsoft's intention this time round was not to be *just* competing with Sony anymore. A bit like when the Wii launched and it wasn't about the specs and it was a totally different market it sold to (mothers, grandmothers, women, more casual gamers). It wants this to be a box that does everything under your TV, of which games are a part of. It's what everyone talked about Apple doing at some point. I believe that was the intention (from their original press conference) They wanted to get in first.

I think the secondhand charge (which as i understand it, Microsoft doesnt benefit from, I think its up to the game publisher whether to charge or not) was to make The One more attractive to developers and maybe it also helps them get exclusives too. But it does seem stupid when Sony isn't charging and especially then if Sony gets a high userbase for the PS4. Personally i cant see the Xbox One being successful in the intended way unless they drop the price or gave it away with a subscription (like Sega eventually did with the Dreamcast in the US and sold a crapload). Microsoft's current strategy seems like a high risk strategy to me that is probably destined for failure.

I think once they see public opinion is against them and that they are alienating their existing userbase, there will be a certain amount of backtracking for sure.

I never buy a console at launch anymore, when you think back to the launch games on most consoles they usually arent the best ones, and hardware prices are sky-high. So unless I get impatient ot something really excites me i will def be waiting to see which console turns out to be the best.

DarakuTenshi
I guess I must be missing something, but I am preferring the Xbox over the PS. Then again I am still a bit jaded over the PS3. I've bought 2 PS3s (first one fried from normal use) and I don't even use it as a video game console... it's basically just a media center.

Jump to Forum: