Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 4401
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1877 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Flashback HD Remake!
reelmojo
YouTube Video

I remember Flashback's creator saying last year that he'd love to remake it, but I never thought it would actually happen since Ubisoft owned the license. In this case, it feels great to have been wrong!

Flashback, in my opinion, is very under rated so hopefully this new HD remake will help alleviate that a bit. Destructoid's story even has a tag under the headline that reads "Did anybody ask for this? No Really." That's pretty pathetic considering how ape shit they go over other HD remakes (Ducktales for example).

Seems like almost all cinematic platformers from the 16-bit era have gotten an upgrade now. Prince of Persia and Out of this World are already out, and today saw announcements for both Flashback and Prince of Persia 2 (sadly iOS only for that one though). Seems all that's left is for Blizzard to get off of their asses and give us an updated Blackthorne.

shion
I really enjoyed this game on the Genesis. I hope it retains the original gameplay.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
DarakuTenshi
Yeah I saw this when I also posted the one about Castle of Illusion. I enjoyed Flashback, but Castle of Illusion was way better. They both will be amazing I'm sure!

RiKo
I dont know what to think about this. When they remake games, i pretty much always prefer the original. Even the exact(?) copy of Sonic 1 on XBLA - I still only want to play the original! same when i made the mistake of buying Crazy Taxi + Soul Calibur 1. I played Flashback not that long ago on the Amiga and the control scheme does feel quite 'clunky' now, although in some ways that made it the game it was, so i wonder how they will implement that.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
DarakuTenshi
RiKo wrote:

I dont know what to think about this. When they remake games, i pretty much always prefer the original. Even the exact(?) copy of Sonic 1 on XBLA - I still only want to play the original! same when i made the mistake of buying Crazy Taxi + Soul Calibur 1. I played Flashback not that long ago on the Amiga and the control scheme does feel quite 'clunky' now, although in some ways that made it the game it was, so i wonder how they will implement that.

When it comes to the games you mentioned I agree... Those games did't need a remake (I don't consider a filter on an old game as a remake, such is the case with Sonic 1). When they remade the original Final Fantasy I much rather play the remake (Not the HD remake of the remake, but the one they did for GBA, PSX, and Wonderswan). If they ever do release FFVII I hope that I'd rather play the remake. Flashback, Castle of Illusion, Duck Tales are all games that are worthy of a proper HD treatment.

reelmojo
You can always just look at it as a re imagining. Especially in the case of Flashback, it'll be cool to see the world like this, but at the end of the day if you like the original better it still exists. And if a new version introduces new players to Flashback that can only be a good thing. Everyone wins!

Unless of course they completely botch it and it's horrible. Then I'll cherish my Genesis copy even more.

DarakuTenshi
The Genesis version will always be cherished. Seeing that smooth animation on the Genesis for the first time will always stick out in my memory.

rob7979
I had this for my SNES but didn't know anyone else who had a copy showin gwhat an under rated game it really was. I think perhaps the beginning was too slow for some people and so it got written off.

What would be nice is if they included the original alongside the update within the package.
Terry

DarakuTenshi
Personally I felt that Out Of This World was a better game.

rob7979
Prince of Persia was one of the first games that I got on my master system. I had my heart set on Mickey Mouse but my elder brother talked me into getting PoP - and then completed it within the week the bastard! I was only 12 at the time.
Terry

DarakuTenshi
Well Castle of Illusion was much easier on the Master System than on the Genesis. But Prince of Persia was a great game too.

rob7979
Actually after your post I almost bought a snes copy of another world on ebay. Just managed to stop myself to save my hard earned money for the next round of neogeo x games.

Castle of Illusion was easier on the master system - i guess with the sms restictions programming meaningful AI was tricky resulting in a lot of games being easier. Of course in those days even co-odinating the use of a two buttoned joypad was a challange LOL so it was still tough enough for meSmile

Glad you also liked PoP. Once again that was easier on the SMS vs the SNES version I also used to play.
Terry

DarakuTenshi
I've never played the SMS version of POP... maybe I should try it.

Jump to Forum: