Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: PhilCK
Thread ID: 438
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2159 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
SuperGun Questions.
PhilCK
Hello everybody.

okay I know there is a bunch of information out there, but some info seem to conflict a bit so I'd thought I'd just clear somethings up.

I'm putting together my first supergun Smile and wanted to clear somethings up. I've got a NeoGeo mvs 1slot, and have a questions about the power/audio.

this supergun will only have to power the board/joysticks not a monitor, I'm going to just use a scart lead for that. I'm thinking a computer psu is a little overkill, and since I am not using a monitor I think its not really needed. so with that in mind do I need the -5v and the +12v? also I seem to see conflicting things about amps. what should they be or does it really matter that much, as I've seen a few pictures of what look like atx psu's hooked right up to the jamma connector?

thanks.

Shiny
Hi PhilCK, I think candycab's your man on this one but to be honest imo making a supergun is a major pain in the arse, you're probably better off buying one. A cheap MAK one should cost less than £50 complete with scart and power leads and, although cheap in every way, they do the job.

boogiepop
You might find your answers at http://www.multim... There's a section on building your own supergun and you can always ask d-lite (the owner) if your answer's not there. He's very friendly and will probably tell you what's what.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

candycab
The main requirements are that it have +5V @ 4 amps and a +12V line @ 0.5-1 amp

Higher amperage is better as it will allow you to power a wider variety of boards and a power supply with a -5V line is necessary for some boards, typically for audio amplification (very few boards need -5V and even those usually work fine, just with no audio or mono sound only on some boards (CPS boards go mono with no -5V ).

You can use pretty much use anything that falls under those specs Wink
Edited by candycab on 08. August 2007 09:26
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

PhilCK
so wiring up a pc psu to a neogeo motherboard wont kill it? even though the amps are alot higher than what you stated.

sorry if these are basic questions Smile

candycab
PhilCK wrote:
so wiring up a pc psu to a neogeo motherboard wont kill it? even though the amps are alot higher than what you stated.

sorry if these are basic questions Smile

Ive seen it done with AT supply's with no ill effects, but personally I would keep it as close to what the manufacturer suggests as possible to be on the safe side. A decent arcade supply can be had for about $20.00 and is roughly the same size as most AT/ATX PS so its going to be youre safeist bet and wont break the bank, but if you stay close to the above specs just about anything you can find should work as well. Thumbs Up

Bye the way ... all questions are worth asking no matter how basic they may seem if you need the help Smile Wink Fire away dude we are all happy to help Thumbs Up
Edited by candycab on 09. August 2007 09:30
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

PhilCK
thanks.

the -5v and +12v, are they needed if I'm not bothering with a cabinet/monitor. also was intending to buy an itx psu as they are incredibly small. but if I only really need +5v and ground then I can get away with a DC unit I think.

candycab
Yes a Neo board should only require a +5 and a ground.
Edited by candycab on 09. August 2007 21:20

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jump to Forum: