Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 437
Thread Info
There are 33 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4360 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking into buying GBA
Midian
Golden Sun 2, for Aria of Sorrow you might as well wanna get the Double Pack (Harmony of Dissonance + Aria of Sorrow), Summon Night 2, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Another Code, Lunar Knights.

Probably a lot more! Pfft
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

boogiepop
Another Code? What's that? Also, I was planning on getting just one Castlevania but a double pack sounds nice. (it's cheaper I assume, yes?)

Oh yeah, what's the deal with Luminator DS? They can't do a proper port of Lumines on Nintendo's handheld?
Edited by boogiepop on 07. August 2007 23:31
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Midian
Cheaper? I don't know, I think about the same price but I'm not sure. I only paid 20 bucks for it though, and Aria of Sorrow is pretty hard to get.

Another Code is the game the creators of Hotel Dusk made before HD. Of course HD is much of a change and difference, but kind of the same gameplay I guess, like solving puzzles and stuff. I haven't played HD yet though, but I beat AC many times.

boogiepop
Do you mean Trace Memory/ Another Memory?

Shiny
boogiepop wrote:
Okay, here's a list assuming I'm getting a DS. If there's a few games you recommended that's not on it, I apologize. I checked reviews and saw gameplay vids of them all and based opinions on that. Others, like the Megaman games, sound too difficult to play on a DS and thus aren't listed here for that reason. By the way, I never noticed how ridiculously anal I was about my gaming. I knew I was bad... but not this bad. LOL
Note they are grouped into GBA, DS, and import DS software respectively.

Golden Sun
Riviera: The Promised Land
Advance Wars
Fire Emblem
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Summon Night
Broken Sword
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Iridion 2

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Meteos
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Puyo Pop Fever

Days of Memories
Kanji Dictionary (or whatever the hell it's called)

I know what you mean about being anal, I do far too much research when I look at potential purchases. Should see my Neo master list Excel workbook. Actually, if you look up the word anal in the dictionary it's probably right there. Wink

That's a pretty damn good list (if a little RPG heavy), I can't disagree with a single game, they're all top notch. However...

For GBA I'd take Gradius Galaxies or Phalanx over Iridion 2 (assuming you only want one shmup) and probably add some more "arcadey" games like Ninja Five-0, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Double Dragon or River City Ransom and a Namco or Konami collection. And Z.O.E. Fists of Mars too just because it's my favourite handheld turn based strategy game, the combat system is second to none.

For DS I'd add Lunar Knights, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (possibly instead of Aria of Sorrow), Picross, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime and Resident Evil (it's that good, really). Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem is a good import choice for non-Japanese speakers after a decent fighter but Raiken'll probably be more help in that area.

In the end though it's all down to personal opinion. I just hope you're not making any decisions based on anything the $ony fanboys over at Gamespot have to say (I only say this because I seem to remember you mentioning the site once before)... Their reviews are some of the most biased, anti-2D and anti-Nintendo it's ever been my misfortune to read. I don't know why they don't just go the whole hog and rename it Play$tationspot.
Edited by Shiny on 08. August 2007 01:17
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
Heh, yes, gamespot has been a pretty big factor in my decisions though certainly not the only one. I took their points of Gradius Galaxies and Ninja Five-O being rather difficult to heart. Me being the short fuse that I am, I try to avoid games that are too difficult for the sake of my health as well as the safety of my games and systems. I have thrown my pocket color. I even threw my playstation once after a horrible session of oh-my-fu***ng-god-I-fell_into_a_pit_again Tenchu. In general, I think their reviews are pretty darn good and would easily take them over anything EGM has to say.

Anywho, Resident Evil I think I'll pass on. Kinda one of those been there, done that sorta things. I've had picross puzzles come in the mail for years and years. If I ever want to play one, I can just go to my kitchen table and take the top Games Magazine. So I'm pretty much burned out on that too.

Lunar Knights seems pretty interesting but with Summon Night and Zelda already on the list, I think I'm covered in the action RPG arena for the time being. Likewise with Fists of Mars and the turn-based strats. The Dragon Quest, Bleach game, and others I'll definitely take a gander at though.

Again, sorry for being so darn picky. And you're definitely right about me being too RPG heavy. I guess I went a bit overboard there. I could definitely use some more pick-up-and-play arcadey games.

Edit: Okay, you've got me with Rocket Slime. That looks like a good time. Smile

Edit again: I'm not exactly the biggest pinball freak but Metroid Prime Pinball looks pretty cool. And it would totally be a pick-up-and-play to boot.
Edited by boogiepop on 08. August 2007 08:37

Midian
Yeah, I guess it's called Trace Memory there, but it's called Another Code in Europe, and it got released here first, so I always stick to that name. Unlike Kirby Squeak Squad, which is called Mouse Attack, but I still called it KSS. You might wanna consider checking that out if you like platformers, it's an old school Kirby game for DS, I still gotta check it out one day. Pfft

Shiny
boogiepop wrote:
I took their points of Gradius Galaxies and Ninja Five-O being rather difficult to heart. Me being the short fuse that I am, I try to avoid games that are too difficult for the sake of my health as well as the safety of my games and systems.

Better scratch Ghouls n' Ghosts too then, that game was devised by Satan Himself. Wink

Okay, you've got me with Rocket Slime. That looks like a good time. Smile

Fantastic game! If a little cute, but that only adds to it's charm. Imo the tank battles are worth the price of admission alone.

Oh, and the Gamespot thing... Yeah, they are a lot better than EGM (who isn't) but they're still incredibley biased, I read a couple of GBA reviews on there last night (Klonoa and something else) where they actually compared the games with PSX versions! :eh: And a lot of the time were the exact same game released for a $ony console you know they'd give it another full point on top of it's score. I can't help but wonder if they're on the $ony payroll... Imo your best bet for reviews is Metacritic just because they give an average of most online and magazine scores as well as links to the seperate reviews making it easy to see a number of different opinions at once.
Edited by Shiny on 08. August 2007 13:16

boogiepop
Okay! My brother just showed me a Kanji quiz-type game for the DS and it looks absolutely fantastic. Waaay better than the dictionary he was recommending me. And.. well... I want it now. I really shouldn't be spending money with school just around the corner but I've been meaning to sell my guitar amp for a while now sooo........
We'll just have to see tomorrow. I may end up walking out of my local game shop with a DS Lite in hand. If they even have it in stock that is. I've noticed that every color available is listed as back ordered on ebgames.com. I guess tomorrow will tell.
Edited by boogiepop on 10. August 2007 00:11

Shiny
Buy the black one if you can, the white one's shoulder buttons fade to a yellowy white in the blink of an eye...

boogiepop
I just want it to be known that I went out and purchased a black DS Lite today (well yesterday now). I would have said something earlier but it's been a long day.
So far I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I like the feel of this version much better than the original although I did feel some pain when playing Mario Kart (multiplayer with my brother's cart) after a short period of time. I also walked away with one of those stick-on, protective things for the screens, Phoenix Wright, and Meteos.
While the games excite me somewhat, the real draw for me right now are the educational games I intend to import. There's one that my bro has that has all kinds of kanji quiz stuff and pretty much prepares you for all the different levels of literacy. Another type I feel I absolutely must own are the children's books. They are in both English and Japanese so are therefore ideal to learning the language. I never thought I'd buy a game system as a learning tool but from what I've seen, it looks like I'm going to have a blast with it. Weird.
Thanks again everyone for the input. Much appreciated. Grin

boogiepop
Ohmyfrickingodthisistotallyawesome!!! I just got my kanji quiz and picture book games in today. I'm going to be studying these bad boys for a LONG time to come (the kanji one in particular). If any of you guys try tackling Japanese in the future, the DS is apparently the study aid to get. I'm won over. This is as cool as cool can get (for me anyway).

Shiny
Glad you're happy with your purchase, knew you wouldn't regret it. Wink I've heard that they're used as educational tools quite a bit in Japan. When they're not completely sold out that is lol. DS world domination by the end of '08 I reckon.

Jump to Forum: