Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 437
Thread Info
There are 33 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4363 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking into buying GBA
boogiepop
I wanted to know which version of the GBA you guys would recommend. Note that backwards compatibility is of zero interest to me. Right now the micro looks to be the most appealing but the only thing I dislike is that the screen is supposedly smaller.

Also, does anyone know of a site which lists all of the Japan-only games? Having kanji quiz and visual novel games is pretty important to me.
Thanks in advance!
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Raiken
Heres a list although I think it's missing a few games.

http://jdb.pocket...&country=j

If you just want a GBA I'd go with one of the SP models. They've had brighter screens for awhile now and are considerably cheap since the DS and Micro came out. If you got the cash though I'd shoot for a DS lite since they're as bright as the newest SP models but obviously you'd also have the benefit of being able to play DS games(which I can recommend quite a few!). Plus you said you didn't care about reverse compatibility.

Game-wise I personally recommend all 4 games from the Megaman Zero series, the two Metroid games Fusion and Zero along with all 3 Castlevania games for the system. The Wario Ware games are really fun too.
Edited by Raiken on 05. August 2007 20:30
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

Midian
Golden Sun, the reason I bought my GBA back then (now I only have a DS) and also The Lost Age. The two best RPGs on handheld if you ask me. Other than those two, there are also other awesome games, like Boktai, and Mega Man Zero (as Raiken mentioned). Don't forget Zelda: The Minish Cap, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga, the Mario ports from SNES and probably a lot more! Smile
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Shiny
Well I've used a Micro for quite a while now. Here in the UK they're easily the cheapest of all lit-screen versions of the GBA and it's probably the only truly portable handheld on the market, perfect for bus/train/plane journeys, everything else is ever so slightly too big to fit in your pocket (I hate carrying bags). The screen is small (obviously) but it's a quality screen, I haven't once found myself squinting at it even with text heavy games like Broken Sword or Zone of the Enders. Oh, and the D-Pad is better than the one on the SP. It's only downfall is that it will only play GBA games but if that isn't a concern the Micro is the way to go imo.

Just for fun here's how tiny she is...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/gbmcomp.jpg
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
Thanks for the info so far guys! You've been extremely helpful.
@Shiny You picked the only two handhelds I own for comparison. Crazy. Smile

I never liked the Game Boy/ GB Color layout of thumbs under screen so Shiny's recommendation of the micro seems the one I'm going to go with thus far. I do wonder about the SP though. I tried the regular DS and found it incredibly uncomfortable given that most of the weight seems to be in the upper folding half of the unit. Is this the same with the SP? Of course, I can't play multiplayer GBA games with the SP, which sucks since there are two regular GBAs in my house at the moment. But on the other hand, there seems to be a bit more interesting stuff coming out on the import side of the DS. My brother has a kanji dictionary cart, for example, which you search by drawing the kanji on the screen.

Another factor I'm looking at is the library of games. As said, the DS imports, in comparison to the GBA's, interest me more from what I've seen so far but the quality of its library in general strikes me as pretty weak. I'd like to find at least twenty games that I'll definitely want to buy before going ahead and buying a system. I must warn, however, that I, in general, hate Mario themed games. Yes, I had to be said just so you guys wouldn't recommend me tons of Nintendo games. And while I did like playing Symphony of the Night, by the time I was done beating it I didn't want to even look at the game for years. So multiple Castlevanias are definite no no. In fact, I don't want any games in my list of twenty that are sequels or seperate installments of the same series.

The ones that I'm really eager to get so far are the turn-based strategies like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. Riviera is also a definite must-buy on my list. I realize, of course, that RPGs are going to do for the eclectic list of must-buys that I'd like.

As a last thought: At the very worst I could buy a Micro now and a DS in a year or two. That way I could get my (probably seldom used, admittedly) multiplayer AND the DS library.
Thanks again for all the help guys. And I'm looking through that list right now Raiken. Grin

candycab
I bought a Micro expressly to play Tetris Worlds and its a fantastic machine for its size. Since then Ive bought a few more games.

Konami Arcade Advance [ with great ports of Frogger, Time Pilot, Scramble, Gyruss, Yie Ar Kung Fu and Rush'n Attack its a must for fans of great classic gaming ]

Super Mario Advance [ excelent port of the origional Super Mario Arcade game, but man I really suck at the NES/SNES Super Mario style platformer .. excelent port though ]

Warioware Twisted

The screen is definitly the best Ive seen on any portible yet.

So far my only real complaints with it are the shoulder buttons feel extremely cheap and the volume is way too low at its highist setting.
It does have great stereo output and sufficent volume via the headpnone jack though.

If it has games you like I think its pretty hard to go wrong with the GBA no matter which one you opt for.

I should grab a few RPG's and probably will, but the screen size of the Micro may be a bit hard on the eyes with small text during along gaming sessions, otherwise the screen is nothing short of stellar
Edited by candycab on 06. August 2007 06:57
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
Yeah, I was worried about playing Fire Emblem on an even tinier screen. I mean, things look cramped enough as is it.

Raiken
You got a gamecube? Cuz a gameboy advance player is pretty nice for RPG's, castlevania games and advance wars. Obviously though you won't have the ability to play them anywhere but at your home though.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

boogiepop
I do have a gamecube. I could never see myself doing that though. heh

Shiny
These are the games that have held my attention long enough to still get play time now... And not a plumber in sight.

Zone of the Enders: Fists of Mars - More fun than any turn based strategy game should be. I actually prefer it to Advance Wars but don't tell the Nintendo fanboys... Wink

Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary - Dig Dug, Pacman, Galaga and more with the option to either stretch the screen to fit or play with your GBA held vertically for correct aspect ratio. Enormous fun as you'd imagine but it doesn't hold your high scores.:(

Broken Sword - If you like the old Lucasarts point and click adventures it's a must. Great story and just gorgeous to look at.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival - Just awesome. Simply awesome.

KoF EX2 - As above...

Metal Slug Advance - And again...

Medal of Honor: Infiltrator - It's like Shock Troopers with brains.

Shaman King: Master of Spirits - Castlevania style gameplay, Shaman King characters. Enormous fun.

Megaman Zero, Summon Night, Tales of Phantasia, Riviera, Konami Arcade, Ninja Five-0... The list goes on and on and on... There are so many exceptional GBA games it's impossible to list 'em all. It's probably the only console choice nobody will ever argue with. Wink
Edited by Shiny on 06. August 2007 12:46

Midian
Damn! I totally forgot about Summon Night! Those games are *awesome*! I hope SN:Sword Craftstory 3 gets translated here too.

Riviera I didn't like that much, Tales of Phantasia on GBA is the biggest pile of crap in the Tales series ever. The SNES version is superior.

Shiny
Heh, I quite like the GBA version as it goes.

Oh, and don't forget Gradius Galaxies, that game kicks some serious ass!

boogiepop
Ooh! That Broken Sword game does look neat. And summon Night sounds like it's worth a try.
I guess I'll just ponder this for awhile and see if there is any sort of price drops come the holidays. Then, one way or another, I will game. Smile

Shiny
boogiepop wrote:
Ooh! That Broken Sword game does look neat. And summon Night sounds like it's worth a try.
I guess I'll just ponder this for awhile and see if there is any sort of price drops come the holidays. Then, one way or another, I will game. Smile

Yep, Broken Sword is special, and somewhat unique for a handheld game. And I love the fact that the game doesn't dumb anything down, be it the info or the jokes, it's clearly designed for a more mature, patient gamer.

One word of warning if this is your first foray buying GBA carts. If you decide to buy, as most of us do, on eBay, beware of bootlegs, they're everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Everytime you see a cart with no manual be weary, if you see a cart in it's box with no manual avoid like the plague. In my experience the presence of a manual normally equals original cart. That's not to say that every cart with no manual is fake though. If in doubt the best thing to do is get the seller to take a decent size pic... My phone can't take a high enough res pic to show you properly (in fact they're a bit shit) but generally the GBA logo on the face of the cart will be slightly smaller and on the back of the cart the Nintendo logo will be slightly thinner and sometimes the PAT.PEND. text is missing, you'll spot it straight away if you look at one. Tekken is the fake one.

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/003.jpgi149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/004.jpg

If anyone found that patronizing I apologise but if it stops just 1 sale of a bootlegged game than it's worth saying.
Edited by Shiny on 06. August 2007 23:40

Midian
I should have taken pictures of my Boktai game then, which was a fake too, but luckily I got my money back (you might have read about that in the Recent Purchases topic). Bad thing is that the site put it up again for order, this time with pictures of the box of how I received it! Last time I bought someting at that shop there, seems they only care for money, even when they KNOW the game is fake. I'm glad my copy of Devil May Cry is in good condition though.
Edited by Midian on 06. August 2007 23:21

Shiny
Yeah, I remember, that sucked man. I think it's shocking that video game retailers can't tell the difference or, as in your case, don't care. My Tekken cart actually came from a Gamestation store but as it was given to me free I can't really complain. And I've been stung twice before with Rebelstar and Final Fantasy Tactics. But we learn by our mistakes and I'm (perhaps overly) cautious nowadays.

candycab
Whoa ! Shock

Broken Sword on the GBA ... Very nice ..... I must look for that Grin

Now if we could only get a Full Throttle and Maniac Mansion port Wink
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
Maniac Mansion... Good to see someone else thinks that game kicks ass. Cool

@Shiny Not patronizing in the least! I'm glad you mentioned this. I had never heard of fake GBA carts being in circulation before. I have been warned!

sukotsuto
Shiny wrote:
boogiepop wrote:

Yep, Broken Sword is special, and somewhat unique for a handheld game. And I love the fact that the game doesn't dumb anything down, be it the info or the jokes, it's clearly designed for a more mature, patient gamer.

One word of warning if this is your first foray buying GBA carts. If you decide to buy, as most of us do, on eBay, beware of bootlegs, they're everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Everytime you see a cart with no manual be weary, if you see a cart in it's box with no manual avoid like the plague. In my experience the presence of a manual normally equals original cart. That's not to say that every cart with no manual is fake though. If in doubt the best thing to do is get the seller to take a decent size pic... My phone can't take a high enough res pic to show you properly (in fact they're a bit shit) but generally the GBA logo on the face of the cart will be slightly smaller and on the back of the cart the Nintendo logo will be slightly thinner and sometimes the PAT.PEND. text is missing, you'll spot it straight away if you look at one. Tekken is the fake one.

If anyone found that patronizing I apologise but if it stops just 1 sale of a bootlegged game than it's worth saying.

My younger brother got a little too excited and bought that one MegaMan game he saw in eBay for a cheap price (using my money). When it arrived, he was extremely dissapointed that it was a pirated copy and save files didn't last long with it.

Bootlegs are evil! This time, I had to take a look before my bro buys from eBay. After all, I once lived in a country that has 500 bootleggs for every original cart/cd/dvd, so I know how shitty they are as well as how they look like LOL So long as the game cart has "___ in 1" in its name, it's an obvious bootleg.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
boogiepop
Okay, here's a list assuming I'm getting a DS. If there's a few games you recommended that's not on it, I apologize. I checked reviews and saw gameplay vids of them all and based opinions on that. Others, like the Megaman games, sound too difficult to play on a DS and thus aren't listed here for that reason. By the way, I never noticed how ridiculously anal I was about my gaming. I knew I was bad... but not this bad. LOL
Note they are grouped into GBA, DS, and import DS software respectively.

Golden Sun
Riviera: The Promised Land
Advance Wars
Fire Emblem
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Summon Night
Broken Sword
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Iridion 2

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Meteos
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Puyo Pop Fever

Days of Memories
Kanji Dictionary (or whatever the hell it's called)
Edited by boogiepop on 07. August 2007 21:00

Jump to Forum: