Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: -SD-
Thread ID: 4320
Thread Info
There are 18 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6420 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
PlayStation 4
-SD-
Sony have officially announced their new console, so we might as well have a thread with all the news/rumours up until release day.

Lets start with the Dual Shock 4 and what seems to be a redesigned version of the PS Eye

img255.imageshack.us/img255/1313/imagejge.jpg
img405.imageshack.us/img405/3879/imageuch.jpg
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

shion
Edit: I just saw the rebroadcast and I was genuinely impressed. Although the vibe was low energy, I did have butterflies in my stomach much of the time. Glad it looks like they brought back the long handles (on the pad), as it will now fully fit in my hands. I'll have more to say in the upcoming weeks.
Edited by shion on 21. February 2013 03:55

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
DarakuTenshi
Why didn't they revisit the boomerang controller?

Murikov
Meh, the facts don't exactly impress me so far. I'd far more interested in innovative and actually GOOD games than in random social media functions. How come that I always lose more and more interest to new games when consoles reach a new generation?

However, why did Sony not present a controller like this one? Wink

gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/playstation4-e1353084879951.jpeg
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
I havent had a chance to watch any vids but i have read the specs. I do like Sony's attitude this time round, they seem to be bending over backwards to make this console better - probably because of the competition from Microsoft . e.g. this time round there is no obscure architecture (like The Cell in PS3), so it's easy to develop for, good specs for the money, and no blocking on 2nd hand games, and a lower price. Also Gakai (cloud gaming) is a bit of a dark horse (will it work?) but it could remove the traditional problem of console technology aging, since the tech is at the provider's end not at the user's.

On the other hand i don't care too much about the touch screen/panel or new camera, They are nice additions but nothing thats going to make the games play much better.

I really hope they didnt have some kind of bullshit PS3-style demos this time round though....if anyone remembers those - they basically made up a fake Motorstorm video and a Killzone 2 vid. and the fanboyz lapped it up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
-SD-
There's a gallery of decent photos of the new controller and Eye over on Joystiq.

I'm really not sure what to make of the touch pad. It really doesn't seem to be in the most comfortable place to use, and it's tiny. I think it would have been more useable if it was positioned below the analog mushrooms in the larger area between the handles.

As for the Eye itself:
Sony's PlayStation 4 Eye has two cameras each with a max resolution of 1280 x 800, four microphones and a field of view of 85 degrees, and all of these aspects work together in new ways, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida tells Engadget. The cameras, for example, mark a departure from the current PS Eye's single lens, and they each have specific tasks: One is in charge of capturing the setting and ensuring a quality picture, and the other handles motion tracking.

The cameras will triangulate the 3D space, recognize gestures, enable Kinect-style body tracking and will work with Move functionality embedded in the DualShock 4 controller. Sony's goal is for players to be able to snap 3D pictures and video and store it on the PS4.

The microphones will be incorporated into PS4 games, though Yoshida was tight-lipped about their role in potential voice-control functions for the console itself.

DarakuTenshi
LOL I was watching the news and they said that the PS4 will have a touch screen. Oh, well...

They also said that all the games would be streamed? I'm guessing this was inaccurate information as well. I know you will be able to play PS1-PS4 games from the cloud. But... are all the PS4 games going to be download only? If I cannot have a physical game in my hands I will not be getting on board with the new Sony Generation.

-SD-
It has a 6x Blu-ray (8x for DVDs), in comparison to the PS3's 2x drive.

The rest of the spec so far:

AMD 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU
Radeon GPU comprised of 18 "Compute Units" @ 1.84 TFLOPS
8GB of unified 176GB/sec GDDR5 RAM
802.11n WiFi
USB 3.0
Bluetooth 2.1
HDMI 1.4
Optical Output
Standard PlayStation AV out

DarakuTenshi
Isn't it running two other processors to take care of other tasks?

shion
This post on Neogaf.com was worth a laugh:

"So they are planning to stream games to home HD consoles when they can't even stream a simple news conference in at least 720p."

Good luck with that custom Internet network Sony!!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
-SD-
Well here it is....

img10.imageshack.us/img10/7147/imagerkx.jpg

It's another black box Clap

Zakatek
LOL Grin
YouTube Video

RiKo
LOL I saw that Zak, I think Sony has a lot to troll about this time round. Lets hope there are some more videos to come.

Thats the first time I've seen PS4 (Not really been keeping up on news recently). Really looks a lot like the PS2 and nice to see they've bundled it with Kinnect Wink If it does go on it's side it looks a lot like the XBox One but slanted. I guess that box design is in vogue at the moment.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
Sony deserves to do a little trolling right now. I can't remember any console maker so thoroughly destroying their competition in any prior E3.

I probably won't get a PS4 on launch day unless a few more games I'm interested in are launch titles. I will definitely buy one the moment Infamous: Second Son becomes available though. With any luck they'll make a bundle for it. And for any games I've missed in the mean time I can buy used copies.

-SD-
So with all the recent stuff about the PlayStation VR in the gaming media, are any of you planning on getting a PS4 so you can get your La Forge on?

I must admit I'm intrigued that the external processing box is about the size of a Wii. Makes you wonder exactly what's in there, even if the PSU is internal, that's a lot of room still.

And regarding the lack of a traditional 'slim' hardware update two years in... I reckon Sony will use this as an opportunity to release a new version of the PS4 that includes the VR hardware built in, and also the ability to output 4K video from Netflix / Amazon. Hell, maybe even 4K Blu-ray playback.

Sensi
It's difficult not to get (too) excited of the whole VR deal. Watching the Robinson demo, it's not hard too imagine how impressive it can be. But I'm afraid the lack of support of (good) games using the technique will kill it. Eye Toy 2.0 or something like that.

It won't be cheap either, so I think most of the people won't buy it until there is decent support. The same story for 4K. If there's no decent 4K library; it isn't a strong selling point. But I'm glad all these new features will be possible soon!

-SD-
It seems that we are indeed getting an upgraded PlayStation.... and it's far beyond what I expected. Going by the rumours it would appear that we're getting the system Sony should have released in the first place.

So then, current PS4 owners, what are your thoughts on the 'Neo' that's supposedly coming out this Autumn? Are you going to upgrade or stick with your current system?

I don't own a PS4, but if I did I'd be pretty miffed right now. Games consoles are not PCs, the whole point is a fixed spec system that doesn't require any upgrading or arsing around for five years. Nor are they mobile phones which come on a contract to off-set the cost of upgrading every year or two.

However, tech is moving at such a fast rate now that maybe the idea of a fixed spec console that lasts five years or so is becoming unreasonable.... streaming could be the answer as you only need the receiver box and controller at your end. It's up to Sony/Microsoft/whoever to keep the hardware that's actually running the game updated at their end. But until we all have access to broadband at a decent speed that's not a possible solution. But this is where it's going to end up. It might take five or ten years but it's coming.....

Sensi
Well, consoles weren't PC's back in the day but things have changed a lot since the 90's.
With updates/fixes via Internet, a software/firmware OS the consoles have and consle games almost speaking the same PC laguage, the feel of the old consoles has died since the PS3/Xbox 360 generation.
If this whole upgrade process will work, I don't know. Price and offer are the key elements here. If it has many advantages and would be fairly cheap (yearly maintenance fee for instance), it could work.
But Sony shouldn't come up with 4K or VR reasons, because most of the people still aren't ready for these new tech.

I don't know how long a console last by other users, but mine PS2/PS3/360 died after four/five years. At that moment I bought always the cheap newer/compact version to play further the last five years of the console. Because I always assume a console lasts for ten years before we move on to the next generation.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

Jump to Forum: