Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoGalileo
Thread ID: 4208
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6583 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's it worth? Brand new Neo Geo AES console
NeoGeoGalileo
Does anyone know what a brand new boxed Neo Geo AES console's worth today?

With brand new I mean really brand new: Never opened, never used. Only been sitting on the shelf in a warehouse.

I don't know if it's a US, EU or JP release. I do have a picture of the box though, can anyone tell then?

DarakuTenshi
It's only worth what someone will pay for it. To me it wouldn't be worth anything more than $400 because I'd want to open the box and play the thing rather than let it just sit and deteriorate over the years. But... considering there are people willing to pay $30,000 for a game that they cannot even confirm that it's real I'd say you should be able to get $10,000 or more for it. After that whole debacle with Aero Fighters 3 you are going to need to prove that it is in fact legit.

If it were a Japanese model you would have known already by the box. So that leaves the US and EU. I don't know what a EU box looks like but I'm sure there has got to be some subtle differences.

NeoGeoGalileo
DarakuTenshi wrote:

It's only worth what someone will pay for it. To me it wouldn't be worth anything more than $400 because I'd want to open the box and play the thing rather than let it just sit and deteriorate over the years. But... considering there are people willing to pay $30,000 for a game that they cannot even confirm that it's real I'd say you should be able to get $10,000 or more for it. After that whole debacle with Aero Fighters 3 you are going to need to prove that it is in fact legit.

If it were a Japanese model you would have known already by the box. So that leaves the US and EU. I don't know what a EU box looks like but I'm sure there has got to be some subtle differences.

$10k? Are you serious?

I know it's only worth what people will pay for it. I also know there's auctions that go for a fair price and there are auctions that go for a higher price, because someone, at that point of time, wanted it badly.

However, I don't see any auctions of brand new Neo Geo AES systems. Not on eBay, not on any other sites. I've been trying to watch eBay to get some indication on the price, but I always see secondhand consoles. Most of the times of not even boxed.

I was hoping there would be some collectors here, who regularly buy / trade / sell these consoles, so they would know the value of a brand new one.

As for the region, it's probably not Japanese then. I have a picture. I will post it.
i49.tinypic.com/2rghslf.jpg

reelmojo
Were these never sealed in plastic? If it was supposed to be sealed then it loses a lot of it's value simply by not being sealed. If not then it'd be hard to verify that it was in fact never used anyway. Not that it's not worth a ton of money though.

When you do get around to selling it I'd recommend Game Gavel. It seems like a better place than Ebay for really serious collector's pieces.

priest
NeoGeoGalileo: How do you know for sure that this specific AES have never been opened? The box look pretty worn, but they often look this way...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
SteveDave
$250-300 if it's virgin.

Possibly north of that if someone just HAS to have it. Most people are gonna play the thing, though. Thus brand new to them means "hey it must work" not "hey it's a collector's item".
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

NeoGeoGalileo
Because I was the owner of the store that purchased them. We used to sell them, then people kinda lost interest so they were moved to the back of our storage. Recently we started cleaning and making some room and came across these systems.

$10k or $200-$300 is a huge difference by the way....

priest
NeoGeoGalileo wrote:these systems.

OK fair enough.

You mean that you have more than one of these?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoGalileo
priest wrote:

NeoGeoGalileo wrote:these systems.

OK fair enough.

You mean that you have more than one of these?
Yes, we have 2 of them left. That's all, folks.

SteveDave
NeoGeoGalileo wrote:
$10k or $200-$300 is a huge difference by the way....

It's not worth $10k. I can guarantee that much.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

Bullet
This thread is hilarious.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

cthulhu
Bullet wrote:

This thread is hilarious.

Yep.
A couple of years ago I bought an AES in box in Japan for only 80 Euro, so I think $10.000 is a bit on the expensive side. It's all about what people are willing to pay or if they want to be ripped off or not. Outside of Japan I would also say something around the $250...I sold my Euro AES last year for about 120 Euro.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Since the consoles are NOS they should be more desirable despite the box having some marks on it.

If you list them on ebay my guess is they might sell for around $350-450 each.

NEO-GEO man
10 grand my arse, try 1 grand. And it would want to have a perfect as new box too, with no melted styrofoam around the cables, and no damage to the cardboard, manuals still in unopened original bags. I bought an unused one in good box a couple years ago for a shade over $600 AUD delivered to my door, so 10 grand is a crazy dream.

If its unused in the box, still in its plastic, it wont deteriorate unless its poorly stored. Electronics dont generally wear out with no use.

The US and Euro boxes are the same. Generally the only way to tell without turning it on is the power supply rating on the base of the console. All regions look identical from the outside.

Henrythefirst
As DarakuTenshi said as much somebody is willing to pay.
On ebay somebody try to sell an 'brandnew' for around 5k. Mark the try. So like the box is worn it should be even hard to get 1k

NEO-GEO man
For sure, if some one will pay it youll get it, but it doesnt make it worth that!! So dont hold your breath, cause you might die Wink

NeoGeoGalileo
Pft Pfft

All I was looking for is some insight in prices, thanks for that Smile

I was maybe looking for finished auctions of neo geo aes consoles New in box that sold. As references. But I can't find any. I was looking on eBay "sold auctions", none of them are brand NSA.

NEO-GEO man
Start the auction no higher than $500 and see how you go.

8man
The NOS AES picture that you showed has a lot of shelf wear.
Looks like it was moved a lot, probably opened before.

As a gamer/collector I would consider your photo as NOS gamer edition.
$350-$500

If it were me, I would pay $400, and mod the system.

But, if the box was MINT and truly never opened, it's another story.

Last year (11/2011) I bought a brand new NOS English AES that was hand-picked
from SNK-Torrance, California. It was one of the last English systems produced.

img221.imageshack.us/img221/4717/aes8man.jpg
$2,000+
It's pristine. Sharp corners (you can get a paper cut), never been opened.

NEO-GEO man
Thats more like what its really worth, 10,000 is outrageous.

Jump to Forum: