Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: CrazyDiamond
Thread ID: 4158
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3418 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
So I bought an Atari Lynx
CrazyDiamond
I've heard this system has its share of flaws such as the ridiculous battery life, and the thing being too big, but I found an Atari Lynx model 2 for $40, and I bought 2 games for it:

S.T.U.N. Runner
Toki

and there's also a copy of KLAX for it that I'm thinking about getting, because that's one of my all-time favorite puzzle games. What others should I be on the look out for?

NEO-GEO man
From what ive heard its quite a good machine. If you play it plugged into the wall the battery life isnt important, but you can also remove the compact fluro back light and replace with a couple LEDs which will improve the battery life alot, as well as stop the degradation of the LCD panel due to the UV emissions from the compact fluro.

DarakuTenshi
I prefer the system 1 of the Lynx because of how huge it is. I used to have a system 2 and I wish I had not sold it. Some day I'll end up getting it again I'm sure. It's not the best of systems but there are a few gems on it. I like playing California Games, S.T.U.N. Runner, Blue Lightning, Hard Drivin', Road Blasters... and I'm sure there are a few more but those are the ones that really pop out from my childhood.

CrazyDiamond
Two more games I got for it!

Ninja Gaiden
KLAX

Chiba3010
I'm a HUGE Lynx fan! It's my absolute favorite handheld. Grin

I have both models of the handheld and, personally, I do prefer the Lynx model 1 overall. Yeah, it's larger but feels much more solid and sturdy in my hands, with better button and d-pad response. In terms of design, I think it looks a lot sleeker and more stylish. I also prefer the model 1's scratch-resistant glass screen over the Lynx 2's plastic screen-guard. The model 1's audio output has always sounded crisper and clearer too, with better volume range. Music

You do have to be relatively careful with the amount of wear and tear you put it through, since too much surface abuse will eventually begin to scratch the paint off the unit (it's white underneath). In comparison, the Lynx 2 is more durable, cosmetically speaking at least, so it's the version of the handheld that I take with me on long travels. I don't care about that one getting bumped around as much. Wink

Moving on to the games- I have a nearly-complete collection of all commercially released Lynx titles as well as some prototypes, homebrews and a 100% complete reproduction of the unreleased RPG "Eye of the Beholder". As far as favorites go, there are many. A lot of them come from the Lynx's impressive selection excellent arcade ports (which made the system hugely popular with retro gamers), though there are some great original titles too.

In addition to the titles DarakuTenshi mentioned (California Games, S.T.U.N. Runner, Blue Lightning and Road Blasters), I'd also highly recommend:

-Joust
-Lemmings
-Paperboy
-Alpine Games (hard-to-find but truly awesome indie-released sports title in the vein of "Winter Games" with unbeleivable graphics and sound)
-Checkered Flag
-Battlewheels
-Shanghai (highly addictive)
-Rampart
-Slime World
-Zarlor Mercenary
-Chip's Challenge (neat puzzle game)
-Desert Strike
-Rampage
-Battlezone 2000
-Xenophobe
-Hydra
-Steel Talons (slow-moving but impressively faithful port of the arcade game)
-Dracula the Undead (very good, highly underrated point-and-click adventure with similar gameplay to the "Monkey Island" PC games)
-Eye of the Beholder (only if you can find a 100% COMPLETE copy that has memory backup allowing you to save your game- don't get tricked into buying the incomplete, unplayable "demo" version that often pops up on eBay)
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

cthulhu
The Lynx is also one of my most favorite systems.
Games I would recommend are:
- Lemmings.
- Dracula the Undead.
- Battle Wheels.
- Battlezone 2000.
- Joust.
- Zaku. Great shmup that was released a little while ago, it really shows of what the Lynx is actually capable of.
- Eye of the Beholder. Like Chiba3010 said, be careful of what you buy. Most EOTB versions are NOT playable or just demos. A little while ago someone at AtariAge produce a limited run (50 copies if I remember correctly) of the fully playable game. I was lucky to be added to the list of buyers and get one and it's a fantastic port of a fantastic game.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

shion
No mention of Gauntlet III or Pit Fighter yet? The Gauntlet is an exclusive and this has one of the best versions of Pit Fighter available (as you may know, I'm actually a fan of the game).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
cthulhu
Gauntlet III is indeed a very good game and apparently overlooked quite a bit. Whilst Pit Fighter is a very good port, I personally think it's good for a laugh, but not much more...I do see that it might appeal to some though.
My arcade stuff

RiKo
was going to mention Zaku but cthulhu got there first. Enjoy your lynx CrazyDiamond! Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Chiba3010
@cthulhu: I was one of the lucky first 50 you mentioned who received a first-run copy of EOTB from Eric DeLee! Prior to our formal introduction here at NGFL, sounds like we were following the very same thread over at AtariAge when all this was happening. Wink

@Tobalman: I'm a Pit-Fighter fan as well! So many people love to bash the game but I've always enjoyed it since it's arcade debut. As far as ports go, the Lynx version is amazing and second only to the Genesis version IMO. Thumbs Up

cthulhu
Chiba3010 wrote:

@cthulhu: I was one of the lucky first 50 you mentioned who received a first-run copy of EOTB from Eric DeLee! Prior to our formal introduction here at NGFL, sounds like we were following the very same thread over at AtariAge when all this was happening. Wink

I was quite lucky, because I wasn't on the original list...I was on the reserve list. Quite a number of people were removed from the first list and I was added. Found out I was on the list and bought the game along with the alternative version of Super Astroids and Missile Command (also a game that I can recommend).
By the way, my name on AtariAge is also Cthulhu.

Buy Zaku if you get the chance, it's definitely the best homebrew I've seen for the Lynx.
http://www.zaku-l...
My arcade stuff

TF73
Would have liked to own a Lynx and Jaguar. But I'm in serious trouble with space at the moment. Is the screen backlit on the Lynx??

Chiba3010
TF73 wrote:

Would have liked to own a Lynx and Jaguar. But I'm in serious trouble with space at the moment. Is the screen backlit on the Lynx??

Yes it is.

TF73
Thanks for the info Chiba! Suddenly got very interested in the consoleSmile

Chiba3010
Here's a pic of my Lynx 1 and game library:

i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/51be77ca.jpg

I'm only three titles away from a complete collection of every retail-released Lynx game! Also have a bunch of homebrews, betas and indie releases (which are the PCBs in baggies tucked into the far left compartment) . Smile

cthulhu
Great collection. Mine is nowhere near complete.
My arcade stuff

Neorebel
I know I am necro-bumping this but holy crap that Lynx 1 collection is SWEET! Clap

Also, I have a Lynx 2 of my own and I too really enjoy S.T.U.N. Runner on it, as well as xybots and Rygar.

Jump to Forum: