Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: HexElf
Thread ID: 413
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3247 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
If you could make one Neo Geo game...
HexElf
... the standard pack-in for the boxed AES consoles, which one would it be? While prefered for obvious reasons it doesn't have to be made by SNK, just one game with some real selling power that his hot enough overall to make MVS owners seriosly considering getting one ;D
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
Shiny
Ooh, good question... The main reason, in my experience, people go for MVS is cost, if AES/MVS cart prices were equal everyone would play AES. Of course if AES carts were that cheap the Neo Geo probably wouldn't have the same cult status and, really for a console, such an extraordinarily loyal (read superior) following.

So to convert MVS owners to AES it would have to be a game that is at least close to equal in cost in both formats as well as being a relatively recent release from one of the larger, more popular brands... All things considered I reckon it'd have to be Samurai Shodown 5 Special.

boogiepop
Hmm, I wasn't thinking cost at all. Simply given the introductory feel to the neo geo and the ability to win over a broad range of gamer's hearts, I think you can't possibly do better than the original Metal Slug. It was one of the first two games I bought for my mvs (the other being Blazing Star) and immediately began to relieve my feelings of the neo being a monetary waste.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kazuya_UK
I must admit that having always been an MVS guy, I can't think of anything that would convince me to have an AES. I do love the home console, I just prefer MVS, and if I can get all the games I want in MVS format then I'm set really. If there was missing out on something or if there was a game I couldn't buy, then that would seal the deal when it comes to buying the home console.

If it was to convince other people in general to get into the Neo Geo, then I would agree with Metal Slug, or perhaps Mark of the Wolves, as obvious a choice as that might be. It's just that it's one of the easier games to get non-fans into, not just because of the graphics, but because it's simpler to pick up and play than many SNK fighters.

Last Blade would be another good choice!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Johnny99
I've been an AES guy until recently. I made the move to MVS simply cuz it's soooo much cheaper to play games. I just got tired of the crazy prices I would have to pay for AES carts. MVS games don't come with the cool clamshell cases or manuals, but you could get shockboxes and awsome inserts from Southtown Homebrew. Oops I rambled :sweat: sorry .

Anyway I think the best pack-in would have to KOF '98, it's quite possibly the perfect 2-D fighter. Metal Slug 3 and The Last Blade are great choices too Thumbs Up.
Edited by Johnny99 on 20. July 2007 03:20
"All our lives we sweat and save, building for a shallow grave".---Jim Morrison

Spooky
Having ALWAYS been an MVS person, I've always been jealous of the people who have owned or played certain games I've never been able to get my hands on. Cost is pretty much limited most of the time, but I've been lucky as hell in the past. I'm with Shiny, Samurai Shodown 5 Special would be the greatest to have.

Flik
I'd probably say Metal Slug, not considering costs or anything. It's probably SNK's most well known franchise and it's style is just so unique. There's other games I prefer over Metal Slug but to get someone into SNK you must present something that's easy to get into but offers challenge and style. And so, Metal Slug would be my choice, from a businessmans perspective.

If you'd ask me as a person, then Garou: Mark of the Wolves would be my choice any day.
Edited by Flik on 20. July 2007 07:22

Midian
Flik pretty much summed it up. Garou: MotW is awesome and would be my choice too, but I agree with everyone here that Metal Slug is something different and really good.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

HexElf
I actually agree on both Garou and Metal Slug. Garou is surprisingly beginner friendly (all you really need to know is how to play Street Fighter 2) while still retaining the depth it needs to make fighting game veterans enjoy it as well. That and the fact that Garou is one of the best looking games you can possibly find on the system helps too.

Metal Slug on the other hand is a game that anyone can enjoy, especially the first game where you don't have to worry about dying every five seconds (hell even the last boss is fair) and waste every credit you have just getting past the second stage. It is certainly one of the more impressive games on the Neo and and possibly even more importantly it has co-op.

So which one would I choose personally? I am thinking Garou because the console really is a fighting game console, so why not go for one of the hottest fighters on the system right away to get you started? You can always get a slug later. It's a close call though because I guess you could pack in Metal Slug for the same reason. Hmmm...

Why not make it so you can have either or? Would that be okay with everyone? Metal Slug or Garou. Mario or Zelda.
Edited by HexElf on 22. July 2007 02:12

HexElf
Don't get me wrong though, KOF98 and Samurai Spirits 5 Special both have merits that would make them attractive; KOF98 being a timeless classic and SS5 Special being the freshest game on the system, but in the end I would just have to go with Garou or Metal Slug because you just can't lose with those two.

Thanks for giving this top such serious consideration too =D
Edited by HexElf on 22. July 2007 02:22

Jump to Forum: