Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 4101
Thread Info
There are 47 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6194 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Golden Axe
NEO-GEO man
No i dont think he meant that Priest, i think he meant in general Wink

priest
NEO-GEO man: Yea, maybe you´re right. In any case I just wanted that off my chestSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
I want my extra 17 kW solar system too, But its not looking like the australian government is going to let me do whats right for this planet!

I tend to agree after watching some videos on that version of the game, surely they couldve done better!!

priest
Booooohoooooo for the Australian governmentBanHammerThumbs DownAnnoyed...Wink

NEO-GEO man
Yeah mate they dont do a very good job at running this fine nation..,

priest
Hmmm...I wonder if the people of the Australian government play Golden axe, hmmm...? Hmm

My subtle way to try and bring the thread back on trackWink

NEO-GEO man
If they knew a good game priest i reckon they would!!

merlin
I love the Golden Axe series! The first version I ever played was on the Master System. That's a pretty good version despite two characters being missing and the lack of a 2 player mode. I still have the SMS version but a built-in game rather than a cart. For some reason the game speed is noticeably faster than the cart version.

I agree the first two on Mega Drive are superb. Used to play them a lot when I was younger. I remember some people said the first one was almost arcade perfect but really there's quite a big difference in the graphics compared to the arcade original. These days I usually play it on Mame. I thought this video was quite interesting. Never realized the scoring system was so complicated!

http://www.youtub...3sAhECumog

I also have the WonderSwan port. A really good version and one of the best games on that
handheld. I'm tempted to get a second WonderSwan for some multiplayer action.

http://www.youtub...mEtmgg5xAA

Revenge of Death Adder is without doubt one of Sega's best beat 'em ups. Played this
countless times online with 4 players. Sega really should release this on XBL/PSN. Neo-Geo Man I'm guessing you're talking about Goah and Trix? Not too keen on those either. Most people prefer Dora and Stern.

Pity Reelmojo isn't around at the moment. He's a huge fan of the series and would like this
thread.

Chiba3010
Had no idea about the multi-kill multiplied scoring trick! Very interesting video, Merlin.

The Wonderswan port looks and sounds really impressive, never seen that one before. Thumbs Up

There was also a Gameboy Advance version of the first Golden Axe in the "Sega Smash Pack" release. Haven't played it but from what I've heard it's a very flawed adaptation of the Genesis port with "zoomed in" graphics to make the sprites decently-sized for the small screen, poor hit-detection and a soundtrack cut down to just a couple of themes that alternate with each level. Don't know why it was so shoddy, the GBA should've been capable of a decent port. Shrug
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

NEO-GEO man
Here is a good score...

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Gaming%20shots/GoldenAxe2.jpg

Completed the game on NORMAL with her, 91.4!!

merlin
Glad the video was of interest Chiba. I can't think of any other arcade game off hand in
which you can boost your score by killing one enemy multiple times. Having this complex scoring system adds more challenge to what would otherwise be a very easy game. In case anyone hasn't already seen it here's the world record:

http://www.youtub...dOJt_eFfWw

Has anyone here tried the PS2 remake? Never played the game myself but heard a lot of bad things about it. Worth mentioning though that the arranged soundtrack is amazing. Well worth checking out on Youtube.

http://www.youtub...LQ8t86xNGQ

DarakuTenshi
NEO-GEO man wrote:

Here is a good score...

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Gaming%20shots/GoldenAxe2.jpg

Completed the game on NORMAL with her, 91.4!!

I'd say! I don't think I've ever scored that high.

NEO-GEO man
Golden Axe 3 is crap. Wasnt worth pulling the cart apart to play it!!

I dont know why Sega seem to do these things with their games, they make a super hit, then they let another group develop a sequel to it and that is total gay shit.

Whats the go with the flying up in the air when you get knocked over? I thought that went out with the really lame early 80s fighting!!

Couldve been such an awesome game...

Chiba3010
Sorry, mate.:( At least we tried to prepare you for the disappointment this ugly bugger brings to many a Golden Axe fan. Suppose it could've been even worse but that notion doesn't make the game any better, either.Thumbs Down

The only thing Sega could've done to right this wrong would have been porting Revenge of Death Adder to the Saturn... Instead, we got GA: The Duel. Not a bad fighter by any means but we all wanted the true arcade sequel that much more to help wash away the bitter taste GA3 left in our mouths.
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

NEO-GEO man
Yeah i dont understand why they never brought out a Saturn version of Revenge of Death Adder... Couldve EASILY done that arcade perfect on the Saturn even with 4 players....

merlin
I've been playing the Golden Axe series quite a bit lately. I find it very surprising that so many people don't seem to like Golden Axe III including people who posted in this thread. I would urge anyone who wasn't impressed with the game to give it another try.

I like how there are more moves in the game such as the low slash, team attacks, double jumping and the addition of KOTR-style blocking. The enemy AI is quite smart and you have to think a bit more about your strategy. The branching paths are very unusual for a 16-bit console side scroller and greatly enhance the replay value. The stage designs look nice and are quite varied. There are some memorable tunes too, the stage 1 track being my favourite. Perhaps the design of the bizarrians was a bit better in the first two games though and the magic attacks looked slightly more impressive.

I'd say GAIII is an excellent and quite underrated hack 'n slash not to be missed by fans of the original. I would give it 9/10.

YouTube Video

NeoGeoNinja
In general, I've never been a fan of the Golden Axe series. I just don't enjoy the actual gameplay of them. I find them really rigid and restrictive.

I'd always, much rather play any one of the three SOR titles instead. They're just more to my taste, gameplay wise...
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Perhaps GAIII would appeal to you more Ninja since the gameplay has a different feel to it. Seems that people didn't like that it is was a bit different to the first two games but then again there were complaints about GAII being a 'rehash' and too similar to the first game. People are hard to please! I'm the opposite actually. I like the Golden Axe series a bit more than the Streets of Rage games and I'm a big fan of the latter. Fantasy themed games have always really appealed to me.

Would be interesting to hear a few more opinions about GAIII from other members here. I think Chiba and NeoGeoMan should give it another go! Wink

The game actually gets pretty good reviews on Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefa...ii/reviews

The OpenBor game Golden Axe Myth is well worth checking out.

YouTube Video

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:

Perhaps GAIII would appeal to you more Ninja since the gameplay has a different feel to it. Seems that people didn't like that it is was a bit different to the first two games but then again there were complaints about GAII being a 'rehash' and too similar to the first game. People are hard to please! I'm the opposite actually. I like the Golden Axe series a bit more than the Streets of Rage games and I'm a big fan of the latter. Fantasy themed games have always really appealed to me.

Would be interesting to hear a few more opinions about GAIII from other members here. I think Chiba and NeoGeoMan should give it another go! Wink

The game actually gets pretty good reviews on Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefa...ii/reviews

The OpenBor game Golden Axe Myth is well worth checking out.

As it happens, I will freely admit that - to my tastes - I enjoyed GAIII the most of the 3 games I played. Ironically, I think I enjoyed them most in reverse order.

Although I enjoyed III most overall, I think GAII had the best feeling of GA vs balance and faithful gameplay. I certainly enjoyed II > I.

-

Thanks for showing that video of GAMyth. I'd love to try lots of these BORmods, as there are literally TONNES of them now, but the problem lies in the fact that they can only be played by burning them to disc/CD-R and running them through the DC, which significantly affects the lifespan of the console I'm afraid :(
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Golden Axe : RoDA is where it's at. It makes all the others look piss-poor.

Golden Axe III is second place.

Piss on the rest.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: