Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 4101
Thread Info
There are 47 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6215 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Golden Axe
NEO-GEO man
Who plays these games??

Ive just bought Golden Axe 3 for Mega Drive.

I love the first 2 games on Mega Drive, probably love 2 slightly more, have never played 3 so not sure what its like.

I used to play a fair bit of Golden Axe Revenge of the Death Adder a while ago, that was good fun too.

Chiba3010
Golden Axe 3 is quite disappointing compared to Sega's port of the original and GA2. Don't know what happened here, essentially every aspect of the game is noticeably inferior to its predecessors. It's overall quality was so poor, Sega decided against a U.S. release on the Genesis. Being a big fan if the series, I've played the Mega Drive import and sadly, I agree with Sega's decision against a domestic release here in the States.:(

It's playable, and the choice of multiplte paths through the game is a decent new feature but it just doesn't hold up well next to other titles in the franchise.
Edited by Chiba3010 on 26. August 2012 07:56
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

priest
NEO-GEO Man: I play Golden axe now and then, but I stick to the first game since the 2 sequels were massive dissapointments in my eyes.

Golden AXE was actually one of the reasons I got my SEGA MD in the first place. I had played GA in an arcade when I was on vacation as a kid and ever since this is one of my all time favorite games.

The SEGA MD version is faithfully converted from the arcade board, the difference being that the MD version is a bit longer.

Still I want more of the original Golden AXE for the MD, since itīs a bit too easy even with the hardest setting. A bit of advice here to anyone that have yet to play this wonderful game; Play the original MD version oft the game, there have been ports for the SATURN and the DREAMCAST but they are not nearly as good as the original...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Chiba3010
priest wrote:
A bit of advice here to anyone that have yet to play this wonderful game; Play the original MD version oft the game, there have been ports for the SATURN and the DREAMCAST but they are not nearly as good as the original...

The XBOX Live Arcade port of Golden Axe is damn near perfect. If its still available there, gamers have another great option for playing this classic true to form. Smile

Totally agreed on the Genesis/Mega Drive port being the best of it's console generation and surpassed only by the arcade original.

NEO-GEO man
Hmm, its interesting you say you reckon Golden Axe 2 is a dissapointment, i reckon its a big step up in many ways.

The first one is great, but the 2nd one is much better and plays smoother. There are more options when attacking, cause you can pick up the opponent and actually turn around to throw them, where as the first one you cant do that, can only throw them straight. The magic is more convenient too.

Ive never played the original on a genuine arcade board, only on MAME, where it was reported to be not 100%, seemed ok in most respects to me, but yes it does stop earlier on. Very little changed in the Mega Drive version.

Playing 3 and 4 players on Revenge of the Death Adder is great fun, although one or 2 of the characters are pretty useless.

priest
NEO-GEO Man: I guess itīs all a matter of taste, I think that GA1 is a lot smoother to play. Also I think that the graphics are a lot better in the first game, not to mention the music which is classic by now. Iīm not sure what you mean by more convenient magic in the sequel, I think that Magic worked really well in GA1...

NEO-GEO man
Well in 2, you can just use one at a time if you like, which can help out alot when youre smothered with skeletons.

When you barge in 2, it works better for you, the jump+attack combo is better in 2, the bizarians are better and more user friendly, the enemies make different sounds when they die, and i reckon overall its got everything the first one has with abit more.

Playing the duel mode is great on both, but i prefer 2 for that as well

priest
NEO-GEO Man: Yea, well I rarely use Magic except on the bosses. So I think that the system in GA1 is good for me...

Like I said earlier, itīs all a matter of taste.

...0h and congrats on the NGFL rankThumbs Up

NEO-GEO man
Thanks!! I dont know what that is though!! Wink

priest
NEO-GEO man wrote:

Thanks!! I dont know what that is though!! Wink

Ohhhh that only means that you have too much time on your hands...Grin

...Other than that youīre now an immortal NEO GEO god along with the rest of usWink

Chiba: I have yet to try the 360 LIVE version of GA...

NEO-GEO man
Oh ok, i thought i had been for almost 20 years!! LOL

priest
NEO-GEO Man: Have you tried th god awful PC Engine version of Golden Axe? I bought this game despite warnings...It really is THAT badThumbs Down Itīll be interesting to hear what you think of Golden Axe 3...

YouTube Video

NEO-GEO man
No i never even knew there was one. I did try the Master system version a while ago and it was pretty terrible. That looks to be even worse by alot...

I knew it was on the Commodore 64 and a couple others, and they are all terrible... The Master System version isnt near as bad, and considering the console's limits its a pretty good version... Especially when you see the others!!

Chiba3010
Ugh. Forgot how terrible the PC Engine version was... Shock For what its worth, GA3 is better than that dung heap of a port. Rest assured of that much.

@Priest: Yeah, the XBLA version is basically arcade-perfect. Right down to the voice samples lifted from movies like "An American Werewolf in London" (fleeing villagers' screams), "Rambo: First Blood" (some common enemy death screams) and "Conan the Barbarian" (large enemy and boss death screams). Being a big movie fanatic it's hard to miss the origin of certain audio samples used in games! Wink

DarakuTenshi
Yes but compare the PC Engine version of Shinobi to the Master System version. Or even worse the PCE version of Golden Axe to the SMS version.

NEO-GEO man
I thought the PCE was a pretty powerful machine... Ive never looked into it really...

priest
NEO-GEO man wrote:

I thought the PCE was a pretty powerful machine... Ive never looked into it really...

...Not to change the subject, but the PCE IS a powerful machine. Itīs just that some titles like Golden axe were converted really badly. The Mastersystem version of GA is better than this.

I played Golden Axe 2 yesterday, itīs a reasonable game. And like you (NEO-GEO man) said the enemy minions and the bosses have different voices when damaged. The minions however sounds like children...Thumbs Down

Chiba: I didnīt know about the voice sampling before...

Mmmmm, there are many great games for the Megadrive / Genesis. I also played Bare knuckles / Streets of rage, one of those games that I can hardly put down before I have finished it Yummy
Edited by priest on 27. August 2012 10:15

DarakuTenshi
I love my Turbo Graphics. It's one of the systems that I swore that I would never sell if it came down to it. Still trying to get my hands on the CD attachment. The thing is people try and compare it to the Genesis and SNES when it's only an 8 bit system so for an 8 bit system it's amazing. It's kind of like the Neo of 8bit era.

NEO-GEO man
Anything made by NEC can be amazing... They do make the world's best video displays....

priest
DarakuTenshi: Just so weīre clear on this; I never mentioned the PCE version of Golden Axe to compare it to the Megadrive or the arcade version. I just stated that I donīt think it is a very good port of the game Smile

Jump to Forum: