Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 4095
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2558 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
CD or Cart music?
I prefer original carts I prefer original carts 13%[1 Vote]
I prefer CD remixes I prefer CD remixes 38%[3 Votes]
It really depends on the game It really depends on the game 50%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 8
 Print Thread
CD versus cart sound and music
NEO-GEO man
What do you all like best? Some of the remixed soundtracks are pretty damn good, and others are pretty ordinary...

I like Samurai Shodown in both versions, i love the music as much in both, but the CD version of this is certainly very good and makes it well worth the play...

peiper
i love the last blade 1 & 2 ast. got the neo cd versions just for the music ( already have the cart ) Cool mostly i prefer cd music

NEO-GEO man
I have both versions of those 2 games, i havent really played either game yet. Ill have to give them a go soon.

merlin
Before I owned an NGCD I didn't like the idea of the music sounding different to what I was
used to on AES/MVS. When I actually bought an NGCD though I completely changed my mind. I do usually prefer the ASTs now.

The arranged soundtracks in Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer and Twinkle Star Sprites are two of my
favourites. In VFG vocals have been added to most of the stage themes and there's a new
ending theme. Check 'em out in the NGFL jukebox. I liked the TSS AST so much I ended up
buying the soundtrack CD.

DarakuTenshi
I too say it depends.
I love the remixes on CD but if they are not programmed very well I hate having the music not looping properly.

NEO-GEO man
I noticed that in burning fight, last resort and nam

hitorkori
always liked the cd music over cart especially thru a dedicated amp sounds awsome ! for cart thou the neo has some great music thou

Chiba3010
Usually I prefer a CD AST over a cart soundtrack but the thing is, I've always been impressed with the audio quality of SNK's carts as they are. Some of them are close to CD quality already! I don't own a NGCD but sometimes check out YouTube videos of Neo CD titles just to compare the music with their cart counterparts. Honestly, I've never heard enough of a difference to even consider buying a NGCD for any of it's advantages. It's load times, disc-read errors and all that comes with a total switch in software media pretty much kill it for me.

The Neo was first envisioned as a cart based system and as such it has never been equalled in terms of 2-D audio/visual excellence. Don't know how an N64 or Jaguar port of a Neo title would've turned out since it was never attempted, but it wasn't until the 128-bit generation of disc-based consoles that near-perfect Neo Geo ports became available.

Its a just personal preference, but I like to enjoy NG titles in cart format as what's already there is pretty damn impressive, particularly in terms of sound and music. Additionally, carts best represent the arcade experience and that's what drew me to SNK's console in the first place. Wink

LIFE_IN_2D
In most cases I like the original, synthesized music.

AST sometimes don't match the game. For example in futuristic shooters like Last Resort and Pulstar... It just sounds better when the music is electronic and robotic.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

marktheshark
It depends.

The AST for some games like Samurai Shodown 1 and World Heroes 2 are ho-hum. However, the AST's for some games like the KOF games and World Heroes 1 and World Heroes Perfect just completely ass rape the OST's. Seriously.
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

Jump to Forum: