Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 4088
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4485 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mutation Nation
NEO-GEO man
Who plays this game? Its a bloody hard game to finish with 3 credits!!

bojan4o
I don't really like the game at least i didn't liked on mame but seeing how it runs on a original hardware is quite good and smooth
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Kazuya_UK
When shiny was here the other week, we were talking about the various Neo Geo side scrollers, and I have to say I've never been a massive fan of any of them, other than (for all its faults) Sengoku 3. Maybe I should give this another go though... in fact I might try and play through all the games in the genre in the Neo Geo and see if my opinion changes... Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Glowsquid
Its a bloody hard game to finish with 3 credits!!

It's not free of bullshit, but I'd say it's the fairest of the early beat'em ups. Mostly, you have to use and abuse the quick combo (hold down while punching) and hoard the super attacks and memorize when to use them.

My favourite ng beat'em up. I LOVE the soundtrack and the cheesiness of everything.

LIFE_IN_2D
I'm a big fan of Mutation Nation as well. The best things about the game are the punching and kicking sounds, they are awesome. The whole game just reeks of the 90's, totally cheesey.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Chiba3010
Yeah, it can be a challenging game to progress through on 3 credits. The low-teir enemies can inflict surprising amounts of damage with a single, quick hit but it's the bosses that really bring the pain. Initially their attack patterns can seem very weird and inconsistent in their ability to interrupt certain combos. It's taken more time for me to find effective strategies for beating them than for many bosses from other scrolling fighters. I also stockpile my specials mainly for the boss encounters but it's trial-and-error finding out which type is most effective against each of them. My high score runs are slowly improving though, as yours no doubt will as well! Smile

Cool fighter, memorable for its strangeness and bleak atmosphere. On my top three list of fav scrolling fighters, Sengoku 2 still gets top honors, MN ties with Burning Fight for second place and Sengoku 3 comes in third.
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

Kazuya_UK
Think I'm one of the few that thinks Sengoku 3 is the best in the series, and the best of all the Neo Geo side scrollers. It's the only one I've put any real amount of time into and enjoyed. That's a subject for another thread though I guess!

Kaz

NEO-GEO man
Ive never play Sengoku 3, i sold the first one on MVS, and havent seen it come up on AES for a while.

I love Burning Fight, i reckon it is the best myself. Mutation Nation certainly couldve been the best if it used a 3 button system instead of 2.

Best i remember being able to do was make it to the sewer, i think i may have once passed that and into the stage with the continual boss fights one after the other.

Seems a few NEO-GEO games had this, Burning Fight does a very simular thing, each new room on the boat has another boss youve allready killed. Ninja Combat also does the same. Same with Cyber Lip. Probably others. I might make a thread about it.

I also find Robo Army very hard to get through, ive never finished it on AES. It plays quite simular to Mutation Nation, but in some ways is different.

DarakuTenshi
I have only played Mutation Nation a couple times back in the 90's. But Sengoku 3 is a great game... it was a huge deviation from the other two in the series but it was a fun game.

Shiny
Probably my favourite Neo-Geo scrolling beat 'em up.

Sengoku 3 is a good looking game but I still prefer the second in the series.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Kazuya_UK
Yea Sengoku 3 was a huge change compared to the first two, and it's unfortunately a bit repetitive... But I love the gameplay style and the combo system. I think there was a high score challenge for it, which I'm gonna re-enter once the high score forum is back as I used to be pretty good at it and racked up some great combos!

Kaz

Shiny
D'ya remember that Sengoku 3 wallpaper I did... Wonder if I can find it.

Edit: Found it in the screenies thread from going on 6 years ago.

http://www.neogeo...#post_1591

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/desksen3.png
Edited by Shiny on 22. August 2012 21:42

Kazuya_UK
Heh, awesomes...! You still got the original file?

Hmm back on topic somewhat but there is already is a Mutation Nation High Score Challenge too... may have to give the game another go and enter it once I've sorted all the medals out!!!

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1869

Kaz

Shiny
Kazuya_UK wrote:

Heh, awesomes...! You still got the original file?

Hmm back on topic somewhat but there is already is a Mutation Nation High Score Challenge too... may have to give the game another go and enter it once I've sorted all the medals out!!!

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1869

Kaz

I actually entered that one!

And sadly, no. That file is long gone, along with a stupid number of others. *sigh*:(

Kazuya_UK
Ah man, that's a shame it's a pretty cool wallpaper!:(

LOL I just realised I actually entered it already too. Just had a quick go and I was nowhere near even my crappy ass score that's on there already. More practice methinks!

Kaz

merlin
I have this one for NGCD. It's a pretty good beat 'em up and I like the weird mutant designs. Here's a great 1CC run I found (played on hardest difficulty):

http://www.youtub...YQ72yAYEUE

Despite beat 'em ups being my favourite genre of arcade game, I'm not a big fan of Neo Geo side scrollers. I quite like Mutation Nation, Robo Army and Sengoku 2 but I'd say Sengoku 3 is the only one that comes close to reaching the high standards set by Capcom, IGS and Winky Soft in this genre.

Kazuya_UK wrote:

Think I'm one of the few that thinks Sengoku 3 is the best in the series, and the best of all the Neo Geo side scrollers. It's the only one I've put any real amount of time into and enjoyed. That's a subject for another thread though I guess!

Kaz

I agree. I've always found it surprising that Sengoku 3 isn't more popular. The combo system is great. It's very satisfying taking out a load of enemies or finishing off a boss with a nice combo. Graphics and music are excellent and I really like the characters. Fans of Sengoku 3 should definitely check out Gaia Crusaders (also by Noise Factory) if they haven't already.

Jump to Forum: