Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3993
Thread Info
There are 47 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9782 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Is Anyone Going to Buy a Wii U?
RiKo
Just wondering if anyone is actually excited by the Wii U. especially after E3?

So far the second screen just seems to equal 'gimmick' (inventory and map screen in most games). It is early days though and the same could have been said for the DS at it's first showing, but even with more innovative uses is the Wii U going to be exciting enough for people to buy it? so far in my case i have to say no, but i'm still looking forward to trying it. It's just i can get excited by real 3D, amazing graphics, and even a little (but not much) by motion control. But this screen *just* seems like a nice thing to have, rather than something that would make you go and buy it.

I worry a little for Nintendo with this, especially now it is pushing the social aspects e.g. MiiUniverse, and we all know how rubbish Nintendo is at doing connectivity. (censorship + you practically need your parent's permission everytime you play someone online).
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
DarakuTenshi
*Raises Hand* Joe

-SD-
I'm still quite interested in the console; I think it has a lot of potential.

However, I'm now wondering if it's worth going to all the effort of getting one for Xmas or waiting until February/March time. I'll wait and see what happens over the following months, and make my decision closer to the time when there's a firm list of Xmas releases.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

DarakuTenshi
I'm a sucker when it comes to new hardware so I'll have it. Even though I have no job (except at the moment for Summer) since I'm a full time student. I'm going to make sure that I get it. Just as I did with the Vita. I think it looks amazing and I've never been let down by Nintendo... yeah that's right NEVER. Not even the Virtual Boy disappointed me.

NEO-GEO man
I wont be getting one this week...

reelmojo
I never jump right on the new console bandwagon right away. The last time I tried to was with the PS2 launch but there was such a shortage that I just bought a Dreamcast instead. Best decision ever!

Anyway, I like to wait until there are enough games that I really want before I buy a new system. That, and the WiiU is looking like it could end up being just as gimmicky as the Wii. Of course there will be some good games, but will 90% of it be shovelware crap again? Also, does anyone else think the main reason for the touchscreen on the controller is so they can have DS games on the virtual console?

RiKo
DarakuTenshi wrote:- I think it looks amazing and I've never been let down by Nintendo... yeah that's right NEVER. Not even the Virtual Boy disappointed me.

seriously that's what i'm looking for proper excitement. but i dont get it... yet, i need someone to explain to me why its exciting? and i am worried the public will too.

i've seen the games from E3 and there is nothing particularly exciting there yet, well not enough to go out and buy it. If this was Sony or Microsoft the vultures would be circling (MS has already copied the Wii U idea - totally unfairly i think with smartglass and there is a potential danger that the 360 could get Wii U ports) But yes what keeps me intrigued is that Nintendo has never really totally screwed up (I agree about the Virtual boy. I like it too as a unique console even though they did screw that up from a commercial perspective).

Nintendo did admit with the 3DS they didnt have good enough games at launch, and it didnt sell as a result - but now they have released some heavyweight games (e.g. a proper Mario game) its selling loads and is ahead of the DS at the same time in it's lifespan. maybe it will be the same with the Wii U? although to me 3D is much more exciting than a controller with a screen. (hello Dreamcast) But yes will be happy to be proved wrong.

Something that i would really like to see Nintendo do, and i feel this is an area they *are* failing in - is to create some new iconic franchises. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon were absolutely huge at the time and are still popular now. but they are all really old now. I am wondering why we arent getting fresh ones? Games like Pikmin are great but it's more niche and not of the same magnitude. I think it could effect them in the future if they dont come out with a new one soon. They seem to be relying on the old characters and games too much and and at some point people will start to tire of them.
Edited by RiKo on 02. July 2012 19:29

bojan4o
Hmm what if the king of fighters XIII get a wii u realese and imagine on the controlor screen you can see your health bar stamina bar some special moves how to do them and on the big screen are just the fighters and stages you know without the health bar and. rhose shits like that occupieing the screen. lol

and what if nintendo come up with a fighting game not talking about those smash bros(are they even considered a fighting games?) but a real one 2D or 3D doesn't matter
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

DarakuTenshi
I'm excited about the "gimmick" of the Nintendo Pad interactivity with the game you are currently playing. Being able to use the pad to play games when the TV is in use. "Face Time" like with the iPad. Interactive gaming community. The pad also becomes your entertainment center remote as one of those smart remotes that you pay over $100 for.
Nintendo never ceases to amaze me when they drop a new product. I may never be too excited about it right away (like the Wii) but after I get my hands on it I get even more excited.

Bullet
I'm sure I will buy a Wii U, Day one, probably not. I still play and I actually enjoy the Wii and I'm looking forward to getting The Last Story for it this summer. The Wii actually has some good exclusives, so I'm sure the Wii U will have it's share as well.

As far as the new controller and system itself, I don't really have a problem with it, I'm sure it'll have some unique game experiences that the ps3 and 360 won't/can't provide yet and when the Xbox 720/durango and PS4/orbis come out they'll just copy a bit here and there from Nintendo , but with more powerful hardware and better online functionality.

I don't think Sony is savvy enough to integrate the Vita into the ps3 with the same capabilities as Nintendo's Wii U gamepad. Let's face it, the Vita is a beautiful piece of hardware in every regard, but sony can barely give them away right now. It's a shame really. Microsoft just put out a tablet, so while they may add xbox live functionality and game interaction with the new surface tablets, its will still be missing the built in buttons, triggers and analog sticks the Wii U gamepad has standard.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

shion
I don't buy Nintendo.

The screen of the Wiiu pad is low-res and not multi-touch. What I took out of E3 is that Wiiu Sing is headlining the launch party... It will probably cost around $500. Underpowered ó it is still not clear whether it will be one or two generations behind. Same old recycled bull sh*t games (pardon my English).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
DarakuTenshi
Like Bullet said, I too still enjoy playing Wii and I still enjoy playing GameCube. I could keep going back because I enjoy all the Nintendo systems. If there is one company that has never let me down on quality it's Nintendo. They will always have their flagship titles that will always keep me coming back.
I don't play games because they are "2 generations" behind in hardware. I could care less how bad a game looks, so long as it's fun. And from what I've been hearing about the hardware is that it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360.

I seriously doubt the system will be anywhere near $500. My best guess is $299.99.

RiKo
Bojan wrote : Hmm what if the king of fighters XIII get a wii u realese and imagine on the controlor screen you can see your health bar stamina bar some special moves how to do them and on the big screen are just the fighters and stages you know without the health bar and. rhose shits like that occupieing the screen. lol

haha reminds me of SF4 and DOA on 3DS. and you have the trade off of having to use the biggest gamepad in history. keep those health bars on screen though - no time to look down Smile

DarakuTenshi wrote:- I'm excited about the "gimmick" of the Nintendo Pad interactivity with the game you are currently playing. Being able to use the pad to play games when the TV is in use. "Face Time" like with the iPad. Interactive gaming community.

i dont think the Wii U pad is a gimmick (yet), but it is being used in that way in most of the games at E3. A lot of the games arent being built round the controller, they could be PS3 or 360 games really. I do think its good and useful to have the inventory screen or map on the screen but its not something i would buy a console for. Same with the whole using it as a scanner thing. It's nice but not amazing.

as for the connectivty/social stuff is that exciting for most gamers? That's extra stuff you get with a console not what you buy it for. It does sound like you're probably more excited that it's by Nintendo than what it offers at the moment. But what about people who dont have an allegiance to any particular console company, will they buy it? On my 360 i avoid pretty much all of that extra stuff. apart from playing online and leaderboards which are great. That's literally all i do on my 360 is play games, and there's all this other crap i dont care about. (+ its only going to get worse with the next gen) So i'm not going to buy a Wii U for that. It would be the gaming itself, if they can show some proper exciting games that's when i would get one for sure.

Bullet wrote :- I don't think Sony is savvy enough to integrate the Vita into the ps3 with the same capabilities as Nintendo's Wii U gamepad. Let's face it, the Vita is a beautiful piece of hardware in every regard, but sony can barely give them away right now. It's a shame really. Microsoft just put out a tablet, so while they may add xbox live functionality and game interaction with the new surface tablets, its will still be missing the built in buttons, triggers and analog sticks the Wii U gamepad has standard

thats true, they are not the same (or good as) as the Wii U and as add-ons they wont have an installed base but it does take some of the shine off the Wii U as a unique gaming device, and does make multi platform ports a possibilty for some games.

btw anyone know what you do if the screen breaks in the pad, and for multiplayer gaming on one console, will extra pads be expensive or relatively cheap?
Edited by RiKo on 04. July 2012 21:06

bojan4o
What if they make same games for all their hardware which you can play online with like the ds 3ds (i am not much in consoles so i don't know if they have online play) and the wii and the wii u and so you could be able to play with other players but you play on the wii and the other guy on the 3ds for example that would be cool unnless they already have that

Annd did you guys checked up the additional stuff for the wii u like that board you can stand on it and just move your legs and the character on the games moves too going forward if you move your legs faster he goes faster if move your legs in any other direction he goes to that direction and now imagine that board for a fps you holding a gun and going shooting stuff you duck the guy there ducks heh (i am not sure if they had the same thing for the wii too ?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

STE C
Umm Guess what I think, for once I reckon Nintendo is running scared on this one. They dont really look like they know what they they are doing and what they want it to be. I got excited about the Cube launch and loved the games I got with it ,Wave Race Bluestorm and Luigis Mansion although the console itself did not deliver as many great games as what I hoped ( I soon migrated to Xbox) but I still think the Cube is a cool gamers console.

I really have no intention of buying one as it took me 5 years to actually buy a Wii which I sold 4 months later due to the poor quality of games and I found it difficulty playing games in low res due to owning a PS3/360. I have been a gamer for 30 years so please no comments about me being a graphics whore but a new console has gotta deliver the graphics for me and the Wii I really could not warm to it. The Wii is one of the few. in fact the only console I have regretted buying which is very sad.

I do see Nintendo becoming like Sega one day due to financial issues and the Wii U could well be the console that breaks them as I have seen nothing to convince me otherwise . I think this time Nintendos arrogance could be a big nail in its coffin. I will shed no tears if things go tits up for them as the failure and demise of Sega is enough console grief for a lifetime .

Bottom line I will be very surprised if I end up buying one as for now I see no reason what so ever to get excited about a console that is declining in popularity before it has even hit the shops.
Edited by STE C on 06. July 2012 23:29

marktheshark
I don't know. I really don't know. There's too many unknowns at this time.

What's great about Wii U is that a new 2D Mario will be a launch title. Problem is, that game looks bland and pretty tasteless. A big drawback if you ask me.

Another problem is the controller. The battery in it only lasts 3-5 hours and the time it takes to charge is around 2.5 hours. That's really bad.

As for the games, a lot of them are just ports of 360/PS3 games if anything. The rest are nothing to write home about except for maybe a few.
Edited by marktheshark on 16. July 2012 14:30
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

DarakuTenshi
You also have to remember the pad you're talking about is not the main controller. That is one of the controller options and a big part of makes the WiiU unique. But, the old Wii controllers are still part of the gaming experience. Besides I'm sure you can play games with the controller wired for charging while playing those long gaming sessions.

-SD-
Nintendo has just announced the WiiU will launch in Japan on December 8th. It's available in two different packages: •31,500 for a black 32GB Premium set, and •26,250 for the white 8GB Basic set.

I reckon it's going to be about £279.99 when it gets released over here. However, the extra Upad controllers are a shocking •13,440/$173! Taking into account VAT and currency fluctuations I reckon they'll be about 150 quid over here.

The UK announcement is 3pm today, so we'll know for sure this afternoon.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

DarakuTenshi
Yup I wont be able to buy the Neo-Geo X and the WiiU on the same day basically...:(
I'll wait to get the WiiU when the price goes down, and this will be a first for me. I've always bought systems at launch. (Except PS3) I think I'd much rather have the NGX so long as they have designed it right.

bojan4o
On the wii u you would be able to play 1060p(or what ever you know high definition) on 60fps so it is more powerful than the ps3 and xbox 360

Jump to Forum: