Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 3951
Thread Info
There are 4 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 941 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sega Vintage Collections
reelmojo
Sega recently began a new method of rereleasing older games on XBLA and PSN. Rather than doing them one at a time they're bundling three games together for $10 and throwing in some extras. So far we've got:

Alex Kidd and Co. Collection - Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Super Hang-On, and Revenge of Shinobi
Monster World Collection - Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade version), Wonder Boy in Monster World, and Monster World IV (finally officially translated!)

Next week we've got:

Golden Axe Collection (GA1, 2 and 3)
Streets of Rage Collection (SOR1, 2, and 3)

First off, every game in the Alex Kidd, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage collections are all available on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection which can easily be found for around $15 now. Also, the games selected for the Alex Kidd collection are mind boggling. Surely a proper Shinobi collection featuring the two Genesis titles and the original arcade game would have sold better. Hell, even a collection of purely Alex Kidd titles would have made more sense. If games don't belong in a series collecting them with other games would be cool, but this just doesn't make sense.

However, the Monster World Collection is pretty brilliant. Sure, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is a huge glaring omission but they could be saving that one for a future collection (Wonder Boy, Dragon's Trap, and Monster Lair). But beyond that we have the original arcade version of Monster Land which wasn't already available on consoles (unless you imported the Wonder Boy collection for PS2 from Japan that is) and Monster World IV making it's debut outside of Japan for the first time! If MWIV alone had been $10 I'd have bought it hands down! WB in Monster World is on Sonic's Genesis Collection, but two out of three ain't bad. All three are excellent games in their own right. Monster Land may be a bit too old school for some but I'm enjoying it. Monster World is one of the best Genesis games ever made hands down. And Monster World IV is a long lost classic that also might be one of the best games on the system. The collection comes with a jukebox mode (unlocked from the start) so you can listen to all three games' soundtracks, all of which are great. The overall presentation is great, and the main menu features a remixed song from each game that are all pretty awesome. In short, buy this collection. It's worth every penny.

I'm sure other collections in this series will appear in the future, I just hope they're not all redundant for anyone who knows about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. A few other games I'd want to see collected somehow and rereleased:

Outrun 2019, Alien Soldier, Surging Aura, Rent-A-Hero, Crusader of Centy (Soliel), Pulseman, The Ooze, and I'm sure they're others I'm forgetting. Basically if Sega owns or can get the rights and they haven't been made available since the Genesis days, I want them!

Wonderboy
The Alex Kidd & Co. does seem like a mishmash of great titles rather than a thought out theme. During an important meeting did someone in the marketing department literally say, "Hey, let's just call it Alex Kidd & Co.?" LOL The Wonderboy collection sounds awesome; I may be in the minority thinking that WBML is the best entry in the series though (even more so the arcade ver.). It's truly better than SMB in every way the epitome of a criminally overlooked game IMO. Did you know there is a Wonderboy in Monster World ver. for the SMS? I hear it is a very good version! As far as the SR collection, it seemed like a no brainer. My only qualm is not including Bare Knuckle III, the uncensored, Japanese ver. These (collection) entries seem like such fan services due to the games being so seemingly cherry picked, yet to omit something like that reminds me of how much apathy between Japanese companies and American gamers there still is...

reelmojo wrote:Outrun 2019, Alien Soldier, Surging Aura, Rent-A-Hero, Crusader of Centy (Soliel), Pulseman, The Ooze, and I'm sure they're others I'm forgetting. Basically if Sega owns or can get the rights and they haven't been made available since the Genesis days, I want them!

You know your Genesis games! Those are some kick ass titles. I, too, would really like to see Rent-a-Hero finally translated. Smile
Edited by Wonderboy on 27. May 2012 19:17

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Surely a proper Shinobi collection featuring the two Genesis titles and the original arcade game would have sold better...

YOU'RE RIGHT...
but just like you, I would have paid $'x' just for a standalone release of The Revenge of Shinobi. Why?...

Well, it appears to have escaped your rather in-depth (and impressive!) level of attention Mr Mojo, however, ROShinobi hasn't actually featured on the PS2 or PS3 SEGA compilations of the last few years. Shinobi III and even an unlockable Shinobi (ARC), sure... but ROShinobi has been omitted (my fave ever MD game goddammit!) I suspect due to having Spider-Man in it. Well, you know what they say: 'you learn something new everyday' Grin

I'm really interested to see how they've side-stepped that tbh. One guy (on another forum) even suggested that Spider-mans sprite had been edited!!? Shock

Guess I'll have to buy it to find out Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Oh yeah, I forgot Revenge of Shinobi was strangely missing from Sonic's Ultimate Too Long Title. I guess that makes the Alex Kidd collection a bit more attractive, although the other two games are still on it.

Also, if Sega releases Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder in a collection or stand-alone I will be all over it. Actually, pair it with GA: The Duel and GA Warrior and you've got yourself a second GA collection... a bit out of the 16-bit realm of the others but I can dream.

Tobalman, from what I've read the already released version of SOR2 on XBLA actually does change to Bare Knuckle 2 if you set your console to Japanese so it's quite likely that this collection will follow suit and just load the roms for whatever region your console is set for. I'm sure people will experiment with it as soon as it releases so we should know soon.

Jump to Forum: