Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Phexe
Thread ID: 3919
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2686 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Melbourne, Australia!
Phexe
Hi everyone! (Sorry in advance for the long wall of text)

My name's Phexe and I'm a NeoGeo fan (for life). My first experience with the NeoGeo was at a fish & chips shop around the corner from where I lived. It was amazing to see this real standout bright red cabinet that housed 4 games, those four were World Heroes, Fatal Fury, Blue's Journey and Ninja Combat. I spent most of what money I could make washing cars and even sometimes forgoing $2 worth of chips just to spend some time on the Neo Grin

About a year later I was sleeping over at my best friends house on a Saturday night, my friends Uncle owned a Video store was coming over for a Party and rung in advance to see whether we wanted anything for the night (The party was for the Adults, so he thought we could use something to do). I asked if he had a system called the NeoGeo, and amazingly he said they had 2 left un-rented after the store closed and would bring one around!! When he arrived, he had the system, 2 original style sticks, The Super Spy, Ninja Combat, Crossed Swords and Fatal Fury 2 (Brand new, still sealed). I tell you that night is forever burnt into my memory, I think we ate pizza, drunk coke and stayed up until the sun was coming up playing it. Best Night Ever.

Fast forward many years to 2011 and I started collecting Retro games and systems. I had my eye on the NeoGeo but the price was a little out of my range (well the price was fine, but the shipping basically doubled the price) but I got a nice extra bit of money from my Tax return and immediately ordered a boxed unit (Not only that, I decided to live on instant noodles for 2 weeks and got a Game with it!) I don't think I've been so excited since I was a kid when it arrived. If you want to see check out;

YouTube Video

Ignore the website, is just another I am a member of.

So here I am about 8 months later and have amassed a pretty humble collection (Which you can see below) and added a UniBios, Stereo Audio Out, SVideo Out and Component Out to the big guy. I also managed to buy my Favourite game for the System "Garou: Mark of the Wolves" which was almost as exciting as getting the NeoGeo itself!

img18.imageshack.us/img18/9099/phexeneogeo2742012.jpg

Thanks for reading all (or skipping) this, I've been a lurker on the site for a few years now and I think I've read every review multiple times! Hope I can be of some help or comedy

Thanks everyone,

Phexe.
Edited by Phexe on 26. April 2012 18:24
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the least...

www.phexe.com
priest
Hi Phexe and welcome to the friendly NEO GEO Comunity; NGFLWink

Your story is pure joy to read and to hear your excitement as you unbox the AES system is really heartwarming.

Your collection is impressive and I like your choice in games except for FFSWink

Be proud of your beard manBeard
Edited by priest on 26. April 2012 20:26
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
merlin
Hi Phexe and welcome to the forum. Hope you decide to stick around. Nice to read your story about how you got into Neo Geo. You've already got some great titles in your collection. Thumbs Up

Phexe
Thanks a lot guys Grin I just received 2/3 games I ordered in the Mail this morning! (Ninja Combat & The Super Spy, still waiting on Crossed Swords)
Edited by Phexe on 27. April 2012 02:34

www.phexe.com
Murikov
Hey Phexe and welcome to NGFL! Thumbs Up

You have been quite raging with all these great acquisitions, congratulations! Not everybody can say he has the AES versions of Last Blade 2 and Mark of the Wolves plus all the Neo Geo systems! Clap

Your story indeed was fun to read, I think everybody at this place can tell something similar from the good old days and how they came by the Neo Geo.

Besides Mark of the Wolves of course, have you other favorite Neo Geo titles?

priest wrote:
Your collection is impressive and I like your choice in games except for FFS Wink

Come on, it's not that bad. It's a classic par excellence. Wink
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Shiny
priest wrote:
Your collection is impressive and I like your choice in games except for FFSWink

More FFS blasphemy! FFS. Wink

Welcome aboard, Phexe. Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

wyndcrosser
I was excited when my neo geo cd came last saturday. My GF was made as she thought I actually bought her a pair of UGGS. The Neo Geo came from JAPAN and was surrounded by an UGGS brown wrapping... let's just say that weekend didn't fare well for me lol

img36.imageshack.us/img36/7594/ikkisig.jpg

Phexe
Thanks for all the kind words guys, I will be sticking around Smile

Murikov wrote:
Besides Mark of the Wolves of course, have you other favorite Neo Geo titles?

Hey Murikov, I have quite a few fav's on the Neo Geo. As you could probably tell I'm a huge fan of the Last Blade Series as well as the Fatal Fury/KOF Series. I'll probably be shot for saying, I couldn't ever really get into the Metal Slug series, They are amazing games and well worth their reputation but for me I have no idea why but they never clicked with me:(

Apart from FF/KOF & LB, I'd have to say a few of the older Neo Geo games, like Ninja Combat, Super Spy, Crossed Swords, Sengoku, Art of Fighting 1, World Heroes, King of the Monsters. Whilst not being the greatest games, they really pull me back to the golden age of gaming (in my opinion), the late 80's early nineties and remind me of times that we'll probably never see again.
Edited by Phexe on 28. April 2012 08:00

www.phexe.com
Shiny
Phexe wrote:
I'll probably be shot for saying, I couldn't ever really get into the Metal Slug series, They are amazing games and well worth their reputation but for me I have no idea why but they never clicked with me

You'll get no wounds from this direction. I like Metal Slug but I'm far from crazy about it, Shock Troopers is, in my opinion, massively superior. Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

NeoGeoNinja
HEY PHEXE...
and welcome to NGFL Smile

Phexe wrote:
About a year later I was sleeping over at my best friends house on a Saturday night, my friends Uncle owned a Video store was coming over for a Party and rung in advance to see whether we wanted anything for the night (The party was for the Adults, so he thought we could use something to do). I asked if he had a system called the NeoGeo, and amazingly he said they had 2 left un-rented after the store closed and would bring one around!! When he arrived, he had the system, 2 original style sticks, The Super Spy, Ninja Combat, Crossed Swords and Fatal Fury 2 (Brand new, still sealed). I tell you that night is forever burnt into my memory, I think we ate pizza, drunk coke and stayed up until the sun was coming up playing it. Best Night Ever.

THIS WAS MY FAVOURITE PART...
of your story. This is what I wished had happened to me as a kid, but alas, the AES was just an illusion seen in magazines as a child. Fatal Fury 2... one of my fave games for the system.

Great collection of games you have by the way. Good to see some NESTS action in there too Wink

What is your plan for the CD based systems? I only spot a couple of titles thus far...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Phexe
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Great collection of games you have by the way. Good to see some NESTS action in there too Wink

Thanks mate! Grin

What is your plan for the CD based systems? I only spot a couple of titles thus far...

Ninja

Heh, well I was going to start collecting CD games but the AES has become the system I'm collecting for (with SNES and Saturn). I mainly keep them around for the CD Exclusives or the super expensive titles that were released on CD :S

www.phexe.com
RiKo
Welcome toNG4L Phexe Thumbs Up

Phexe wrote:- Not only that, I decided to live on instant noodles for 2 weeks and got a Game with it!

that's dedication, i could have maybe done that when i was 18 but not now. I'm impressed!

Really nice games - i can see you like your fighters but good to see you have some games in other genres coming soon too.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: