Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 3915
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3814 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wii U less powerful than Xbox 360
shion
http://www.gamesi...lopers-say
Edited by shion on 24. April 2012 05:44

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Shiny
I'd take it all with a pinch, nay, a sack of salt. These "sources" change their minds weekly. It's uber powerful, it's the same, it's less powerful... I guess we'll have to wait and see it in action.

On paper, the PS3 is like a super future computer but in reality it's less capable than the Xbox 360. Proven time after time by inferior texturing, shading, lighting, draw distance and frame-rates etc. Any power comparison is kind of pointless until at least a year or two into a system's lifecycle. That and the fact that design wins over power every time. Anybody going to say that Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 looks bad?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

STE C
Yeah pinch of salt but I would say it could well be true. The arrogance of Nintendo they got away and had huge success releasing the great ( but only lukewarm sales figures) Gamecube again as the Wii with added motion control, but I tell you this they will not get away with it again. Who will take the console seriously when the new Xbox is only a few years away unless they sell it cheap to gain a foothold again.

Thing is this time I dont think the gimmick of a visual controller or another average Mario game is gonna cut it this time, look at the Wii sales now for hardware & software, terrible. People will argue that its a machine for gamers who want gameplay but the shocking state of the Wii library just about sums it up. The last decent console for gamers was probably the Dreamcast or even the Cube to an extent and I do not foresee the Wii U being a huge success like the Wii and rightly so if they want to pawn off old technology on consumers so they can make a profit from day 1. I used to respect Nintendo but now see them in the same light as Sony who also look like they could be heading for a big fall.

Wave Race Blue storm on Cube, one of the best racers ever and the last great game I played on a Nintendo console.

-SD-
The 360 is about 6 1/2 half years old now. I would imaging the final hardware specs were decided upon a good 6 - 9 months before that.

With that in mind, you'd have to try pretty hard to make a machine less powerful than the 360, seven years later, even using the cheapest off-the-shelf parts.

I don't think anyone expects it to be a beast of a machine, but I think it'll have a decent enough CPU/GPU combination and plenty of hardware graphical tricks combined with low power consumption, low heat and virtually silent running.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

RiKo
SD wrote :- With that in mind, you'd have to try pretty hard to make a machine less powerful than the 360, seven years later, even using the cheapest off-the-shelf parts.

that's exactly what i thought - you'd have to try pretty hard to make it less-powerful given how old the 360 is now! Interesting to see what happens with the Aliens game that's multiformat on Wii U, 360 and PS3.

From that article:

Some developers are looking at the PS3/PS Vita combo as being more powerful than the Wii U with tablet controller, and easier to program, too. "You can do everything with that combo that you can with the Wii U, and more," said the source. Nintendo's bid for a unique play experience with the tablet controller may not be completely successful.

Irrelevant really because how many people are going to own both a PS3 and a Vita? not enough surely to make it worthwhile for developers to use it for anything other than the odd-enhancement, maybe the odd game here and there I guess.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
On paper, the PS3 is like a super future computer but in reality it's less capable than the Xbox 360. Proven time after time by inferior texturing, shading, lighting, draw distance and frame-rates etc...

NOT TRUE OF TITLES...
developed for PS3 as lead platform. Seeing as 360 is cheaper and easier to dev for, what you're saying is usually the 'case', but it's not the 'truth'.

Games like Killzone 2 & 3, GOW3 and Motorstorm series - tailored specifically to the architecture of the machine, show it's stronger capabilities Smile

AS YOU KNOW...
I'm not 'pro' Sony, but I certainly am 'anti' MS - just to clear that up! That said, I'll ALWAYS buy a Playstation over an Xbox. even if it's technically illogical, on principle, I'll do it. The lesser of two evils imo... plus, I just don't 'like' the Xbox. It's a terrible and irrational fear, but I just can't stand it. Seeing one, or even the word 'xbox' just makes me cringe. It's a MicroSoft thing I guess. Just like seeing them advertise Explorer on TV... like it's a good thing PPL should ever use??!

When it comes to Microsoft and that f*cking chequebook, I haven't changed...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Honestly, this seems like a huge gamble to me, bigger than anything yet. It takes only one wrong move and I see Nintendo in a world of pain, and perhaps an even greater shift of power (away from Nintendo). That screenshot (of a nature scene) produced by similar hardware is unimpressive for future gen (looks like something you'd see in a hi-tech magazine in '98 or '99). To be fair, the screenshot is a picture of a picture, so some quality loss is expected. Still, it looks "jaggy." I don't know where that Zelda screenshot is from, but I am betting concept art made with an overpowered PC. It's pretty hard to make the "we play Nintendo for the first party games" defense anymore when they're essentially the same damn things over and over and over. In other words, there's not a lot going for this system the way I see it. I'm not registered (at the linked site), so I can't read the comments, unfortunately.
Edited by shion on 24. April 2012 20:43

Shiny
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Shiny wrote:
On paper, the PS3 is like a super future computer but in reality it's less capable than the Xbox 360. Proven time after time by inferior texturing, shading, lighting, draw distance and frame-rates etc...

NOT TRUE OF TITLES...
developed for PS3 as lead platform. Seeing as 360 is cheaper and easier to dev for, what you're saying is usually the 'case', but it's not the 'truth'.

Games like Killzone 2 & 3, GOW3 and Motorstorm series - tailored specifically to the architecture of the machine, show it's stronger capabilities Smile

Ah yes, but that's like using Halo as an Xbox example... And I don't buy the whole, developing to the lowest denominator at all. They release multi-format games on PC and we don't suffer the way PS3 kids do. Anytime there's a direct comparison, PS3 is bottom of the pile. But this neither here or there. My point is that numbers on paper don't necessarily mean shit.

It's a MicroSoft thing I guess. Just like seeing them advertise Explorer on TV... Ninja

I'm with you on that, IE is a terrible program. The ad on TV is proper cringeworthy.

OT, Nintendo's detractors seem to love being proved wrong. The current anti-Wii U yap around the net shows a complete disregard for history. A history that has made everyone eat their words time after time. Memories are so very short.

The NES was slagged off in it's day for silly peripherals and underwhelming power compared to, say, the SMS. The SNES was berated for it's lack of CPU grunt and, perhaps where it all started, it got slated as a kids' console. The MD/Genesis was for serious gamers! The GB was supposed to be inferior to the competition. The GBA was seen as unnecessary before release. The N64 faced massive criticism. The GC the same, even though, for Nintendo, it might as well have printed money. The DS was supposed to be gimmicky trash that would never sell. The Wii was the same. The current best selling console in the world is the 3DS, in spite of it apparently being more gimmicky trash.

The casual vs. serious gamer thing is bollocks as well. If folk were as serious about gaming as they like to think they are they'd have 3,000 PCs not 150 consoles like everyone else. If it's genre rather than spec, I doubt I could explain why Zelda or Metroid isn't just for kids in small enough words for some people to understand. I mean irrational fanboy trolls obviously, not you guys. Smile

I doubt that PS4 or X720 are going to be the jump in tech some people are hoping for. If the Wii U is even on par with X360 it will sell like cocaine on toast.

My overall point, I guess, is this: if you bet against Nintendo, you're going to lose your money. Fact.

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
My overall point, I guess, is this: if you bet against Nintendo, you're going to lose your money. Fact.

BUT...
I had shares in the Virtual Boy :(

Ninja

(I jest.)

shion
Nintendo loses half a billion dollars:
http://www.geeksa...ion-bucks/
From an American perspective: fanboys are always talking about numbers whenever critics say Nintendo is no longer "the people's" choice. Now, it seems they don't have the numbers to back them up either.
Edited by shion on 27. April 2012 11:58

RiKo
My view on the Wii U is that Nintendo will definitely be aiming for the same kind of market they targeted so well with the Wii - ie the more casual gamer. There is no way they will try and compete directly with Sony or Microsoft. They do still release the traditional games like Zelda and Metroid but i think its clear from the low specs this is going to be primarily aimed at the normal people/casual market. i think the golf game in particualr demoed at its unveiling showed this intention.

btw i have a mindfuck for you, lets imagine Kinnect didnt exist and this new Nintendo console was launching with Nintendo's own version of Kinnect rather than this holdable panel thing. Nintendo would be declared as the second-coming. I guarantee it Smile Now lets imagine Microsoft came up with a holdable panel thing for the Xbox 360, er......

Shiny wrote :- The DS was supposed to be gimmicky trash that would never sell

haha i have to admit i didnt hold out much hope for that. even Nintendo didnt seem to know where they were going with that to start with - they were demoing replays on the 2nd screen during football matches and score panels and things! Turned out to be a genius idea though, although I have to say i am not the biggest fan of the DS. A lot of the games seem dumbed down and no i dont want to blow into the microphone lol. I love my 3DS so far though Thumbs Up
Edited by RiKo on 27. April 2012 21:05

Shiny
RiKo wrote:
btw i have a mindfuck for you, lets imagine Kinnect didnt exist and this new Nintendo console was launching with Nintendo's own version of Kinnect rather than this holdable panel thing. Nintendo would be declared as the second-coming. I guarantee it Smile Now lets imagine Microsoft came up with a holdable panel thing for the Xbox 360, er......

The Kinnect is a good example, and to a lesser extent, PSMove... In that, as silly as touch screen controllers seems now, I guarantee MS and Sony will both follow suit. If MS came up with it, gamers would be holding it aloft like the best invention evaR. I know lots of people that reckon the Wii is a toy, not fit for real gamers like them. They all have Kinnect though, the fucking hypocrites.

I think the Wii U controller looks like a completely natural evolution of form. So sensible an upgrade to the joypad that Sony and MS must be kicking themselves for not thinking of it first. Evolution has given us the D pad, the analogue stick, motion control and, most recently, touch screens that don't suck (I defy anyone to play Espgaluda 2 on iPad and then tell me the controls suck), Nintendo have taken all of it and made something that once again is destined to be the norm. The anti Wii U controller talk reminds me of the whole mouse/keyboard versus pad arguments in PC country... In an industry where we push and push for better tech, we should be embracing advances in control not deriding it. It's like folk want the Ferrari but not power steering.

RiKo
i dont really know how people feel about Kinnect. Whether they like it or not? I thought most 'gamers' arent very keen on it or MS, but that might be because i just exist here (on NG4L) really. Personally i wont be buying it because it just all those party-type games in the main. Not what i'm into - i like those games but only for a quick play.

Having said that I do think the base-technology of Kinnect is actually very impressive - from that reading everything it can do, how it can detect 4 different people and joints and stuff, and read in words on a page. Maybe if MS had launched a console with Kinnect it would have been a different story - might have actually got some proper games for it. It's possible next console will launch with Kinnect2.

In an industry where we push and push for better tech, we should be embracing advances in control not deriding it. It's like folk want the Ferrari but not power steering

I still think touchscreens are a step backward for controlling *traditional* games. They work and you can get used to them but it's definitely d-pad or analogue stick for me. Also your fingers are obscuring part of the screen - which isnt ideal. There is no dedicated gaming device released (e.g. DS, PSP) that is just touchscreen - for good reason. Taking the Ferrari analogy - it would be possible to get rid of the steering wheel and just hold your arms up to steer (using motion control) but the steering wheel is just better in that situation.

Shiny wrote :- Nintendo have taken all of it and made something that once again is destined to be the norm

Although i have my doubts about Wii U just now - I do have a lot of faith in Nintendo for their past record. They know a lot more than any of us, and this isnt the arrogant Nintendo of the 90s. They def lead all the maufacturers in terms of innovation and inventiveness, because they have to - to survive.

I still think they will be aiming at that casual market in the main. Similiar to what they did with the Wii where their traditional games were sidelined somewhat.

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
The Kinnect is a good example, and to a lesser extent, PSMove... In that, as silly as touch screen controllers seems now, I guarantee MS and Sony will both follow suit. If MS came up with it, gamers would be holding it aloft like the best invention evaR. I know lots of people that reckon the Wii is a toy, not fit for real gamers like them. They all have Kinnect though, the fucking hypocrites.

ABSO-F*CKING-LUTELY, THIS, THIS, THIS^...
I'm not discussing it, I'm merely addressing this as pure factual information. Thanks Shiny Wink (good to see you back btw!).

AS FOR THE KINECT...
and it IS just the ONE 'N' btw, I have used one at a mates house and I was actually impressed with it. But please, please, PLEASE allow me to elaborate.

We used it to play 'casual' fun games such as Kinect Sports. These are basically rip-offs of what has gone before on Wii years and years and years before, but actually dev'd by Rare (those lucky buggers!). Anyway, it was plain to see from playing a Golf game, a Bowling game (etc) that the Kinect DOES have a great application, however, this (imo) solely resides in the engagement of casual and non complex gaming experiences. For me, those games I mentioned above, utilising the Kinect, play infinitely better than the Wii's counterparts ever could. I'm not going to gush about MS's f*cking prize device here, but it worked REALLY well with those kind of games. The bowling ACTUALLY required some gaming skill and was very addicitive!

Now then, on the flip side, we played a SEGA game called 'Rise of Nightmares'. Gameplay premise is simplistic: wander around, deal with enemies, pick up items/weapons and survive (in general). So, what was the main problem? It's a Kinect game. Although the gameplay was simplistic in it's approach, the Kinect just cannot deal with being a controller for anything beyond simple, repetitive movements - whether it be 'swinging' a club... 'kicking' a ball, or 'bowling' a ball. It's fine for those individual and contained movements, but when you try and mesh some more movements, albeit, not even complex ones, it gets... well, horrific. You spend more time laughing at yourself and PPL laughing at you TRYING to play it than play it. It all gets frustrating rather quickly and then you realise, your just best putting on Silent Hill 'x' instead. But, still... MS have put a lot of money into 'this one'.

Push, push, push.

On top of that, you get the plantpots (like a dedicate 360 fan mate of mine) who feel that shouting "open" at the Kinect to open the disc tray makes them the president of f*cking OCP or something. It's painfully lame how PPL get sucked into marketing, media and hype - and truly believe that this b*llocks is part of tomorrows bigger picture.

The bigger picture doesn't have discs. Dickhead...

Ninja

RiKo
as for kinnect, i think it will get better cos half of it is in software and the software-libraries will be constantly updated. and no doubt when the next version of the Kinnect hardware launches it will be more sophisticated. But.... i feel the same about Kinnect as i do about touchscreen games - its good for some games and user interface tasks, but a lot of games just arent made better by waving your arms about. Its better just to press forward to run rather than actually run on the spot!

Ninja wrote:- The bigger picture doesn't have discs. Dickhead...

maybe not even consoles too, the speed at which cloud-gaming is advancing at the moment...

shion
The Kinnect and PS3 thingy are being treated for what they are, novelties. The selling point of the Wii has always revolved around the Wiimote big difference in presentation there.

The controller of the Wiiu seems like a desperate attempt to be relevant in today's technology climate. We can bet that because Nintendo has a touchscreen controller, by proxy, the other traditional console makers will too (although it is arguable the PS3 is already doing this). People copy Nintendo not because it has good ideas, but because the sheep still flock to it for "innovation" (these sheep have a late 80s frame of mind, or in other words, they still believe Nintendo is at the forefront of the industry). Nintendo is sort of like MS Windows: everyone calls them the standard, yet no one knows just why... Most companies, I assume, copy Nintendo to cover their bases, sales-wise, rather than for real innovation.
Edited by shion on 11. May 2012 23:41

Shiny
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
The Kinnect and PS3 thingy are being treated for what they are, novelties. The selling point of the Wii has always revolved around the Wiimote big difference in presentation there.

MS do NOT see the Kinect (thanks Ninja) as a novelty. PlayStation kids only refer to Move as a novelty because it's a failure.

The controller of the Wiiu seems like a desperate attempt to be relevant in today's technology climate. We can bet that because Nintendo has a touchscreen controller, by proxy, the other traditional console makers will too (although it is arguable the PS3 is already doing this). People copy Nintendo not because it has good ideas, but because the sheep still flock to it for "innovation" (these sheep have a late 80s frame of mind, or in other words, they still believe Nintendo is at the forefront of the industry). Nintendo is sort of like MS Windows: everyone calls them the standard, yet no one knows just why... Most companies, I assume, copy Nintendo to cover their bases, sales-wise, rather than for real innovation.

No offence mate, but this is utter toss. The D-Pad, analogue sticks, shoulder buttons, wireless controllers, motion sensors, glasses free 3D, rumble etc. all came from Nintendo. They don't innovate, hahahaha.

The WiiU is not like the mess Sony made with the Vita (which is what I'm guessing you were referring to), trying to cobble together everything they can think of, that IS a desperate attempt to appear relevant.

Nintendo is not like Windows, I'd say they're more like Apple. They haven't always got the best tech but they ALWAYS have the best ideas.

Jump to Forum: