Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3911
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2560 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Super Mario Bros. 2 announced.
marktheshark
http://kotaku.com...is-august/

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Hits 3DSes This August

A new side-scrolling Super Mario Bros. game called New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be released for the Nintendo 3DS this August, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced today in Japan.

The game is a follow-up to the Nintendo DS mega-hit New Super Mario Bros. as well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, both of which were old-school sidescrollers.

The big sequel was revealed during a Japanese video presentation hosted by the Nintendo president. Shortly after the announcement, Nintendo's American twitter feed also ran the news that the game is coming this August, implying it's set for release in North America this summer as well.

The first images shown of the game suggest that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will include the fan-favorite Power Leaf Tanooki Suit power-up from Super Mario Bros. 3. Unlike the racoon-tail Tanooki Suit in last year's Super Mario 3D Land, this throwback power-up will enable players who activate it to make their Raccoon Tail Mario fly.

According to Nintendo's Facebook page, "This all-new, side-scrolling adventure features Mario, Luigi and all your fave characters from the Mario series." Naturally!

The hell?! SMB 2 (or SML 5 if you want to call it that) looks almost exactly like the first NSMB! I hate how Ninty gives the Super Mario Galaxy games a lot of passion and production value behind them (giving it an orchestral score for example), yet the NSMB games get next to no passion or production value. Angry
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

RiKo
I didnt like NSMB so i hope they will get this one right. I played it but just found it a bit boring and pointless, and didnt want to play it after a couple of levels. I prefer Mario Land 1 Smile

I suppose Super Mario Galaxy 2 is really just like Super Mario Galaxy 1 if you are going on appearances so you never know - NSMB could turn out ok. i'm not holding my breath though...

The 3DS screen is a little bigger/wider which might suit the game too.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
I don't understand this thread.

NSMB is easily one of the best games in the series. Great control, tight level design, a ton of secrets... what else could you want? An extremely addictive competitive multiplayer mode? It had that too!

-SD-
Much as I enjoyed NSMB Wii, I found it sort of lacking somewhat. Although it's difficult to put your finger on exactly what though. I did find the Pengun suit to be a little pointless and underused to be fair.

Still, it was good fun and much better than most games of this generation. I look forward to a sequel on the Wii U with added Upad compatibility. Maybe when you go down a pipe the gameplay will transfer onto the Upad's screen with touch enabled puzzles/mini games?
Edited by -SD- on 24. April 2012 01:23
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

reelmojo
I didn't put too much time into NSMB Wii. I only played a little bit of co-op with some friends which was fun but a bit too chaotic. When I talk about NSMB being amazing I'm referring to the DS original. I'll play more NSMB Wii eventually, but I don't own it so it probably won't be soon.

RiKo
Mojo wrote :- NSMB is easily one of the best games in the series. Great control, tight level design, a ton of secrets... what else could you want? An extremely addictive competitive multiplayer mode? It had that too!

I just couldnt get into it, honestly just switched off when i was playing it. i thought too much to collect and maybe too many secrets devalued what was there. I just didnt find it fun. Its like a Mario game isnt better just because you add lots of powers and things to collect. Collecting stuff by itself is drudgery. SMB1 is possibly my favourite in the series, and thats very simple. NSMB was well executed, but i suppose i found it a little unsipired.

In contrast i love Mario 3D Land so far, every level is different and you are constantly being surprised, its like a breath of fresh air, and it has stripped Mario's powers down a bit too. very inventive too with it's use of 3D for gameplay elements.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Glowsquid
Much as I enjoyed NSMB Wii, I found it sort of lacking somewhat. Although it's difficult to put your finger on exactly what though.

I felt pretty much the same up until I played through Donkey Kong Country Returns (which is ridiculously good). That made me realize what I found "off" about NSMB Wii: The level design.

Both games have an high number of levels centered around a single gimmick (NSMB Wii moreso than the other Mario platformers) but the execution is what really differentiate them. Whereas DKC Returns test your reflex constantly and subverts your pattern recognition in clever and creative way (for ex: Requiring you to *not* hit a path-creating object when the rest of the level up to that point conditioned you to do just that), NSMB Wii just sorta insert a random gimmick in a normal Mario level and it doesn't do anything interesting with it. It's why I don't care much for the game and prefer the DS original even if it's painfully easy and less polished in most respects.

[/spergin']

On NSMB2, I know whining on an handful of screenshots, but I hope they don't base it too heavily on SMB3 - 3D Land was enough. I hope they for a more SMW-style world map, too.

Jump to Forum: