Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Chiba3010
Thread ID: 3910
Thread Info
There are 9 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3607 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bought a low-serial number AES to replace my high-serial number deck... and there was much rejoicing
Chiba3010
With the irritating graphical glitches that have plagued several of my older games since day 1, the recent Ninja Commando issues I posted about earlier were the final straw. I retired my 241xxx serial deck for a 109xxx one and WOW! Joe What a difference! Gone are the subtle-but-still-ugly vertical striping in RGB output that plagues newer board revisions as well as the flickering pixel interference in Burning Fight, Sengoku, Crossed Swords and Robo Army (due to poorly arranged circuitry in later MB revisions). Once I receive my exchanged copy Ninja Commando, hopefully it's issues shall be gone as well Grin I know even earlier systems have even clearer RGB output than the mid-production deck I bought, but the screenshots I've seen of the 50xxx or lower consoles' display looked too dark for my liking and I'd have to adjust the picture of my TV every time I booted up a different retro system. I'm happy with this compromise of bright, colorful and clear. The infamous serial number topic is indeed relevant.

Chiba3010
I know this topic has been flogged to death but I'm strongly advocating that the visual difference between motherboard revisions is not anal retentive conspiracy theory irrelevance. Serial numbers are very relevant for those with scart hookups or my opting for an XNeo1 RGB signal conversion to S-Video that is truly stunning. It's really worth all the fuss and extra expense for NTSC TVs, believe me- you will not be disappointed with an AES with a serial below the 126,000 mark when hooked up via the XNEO1 RGB /S-Video converter. Virtually a dead-ringer for a well loved arcade machine Shock
Gamers hailing from the UK get the best deal of all with full RGB support that's standard with many models. Here in the U.S. our options are a bit more limited-for purists, and HD modded FrankenSystems, along with visual interface upgrade devices like ht X-Neo1 are the best options to see these games as visually close to arcade perfection as is possible without buying a massive, genuine MVS cabinet which will probably test the endurance of any serious relationships for those of you with significant others who's rather not wake up to discover an arcade cabinet in next to the refrigerator one morning. Argue

cthulhu
Ah, the problem in the end was the software revision...I've got a mid serial numbered Japanese AES and that one's not too bad in my opinion. If I would come across one with a lower serial I would definitely buy it as a spare if the price was right.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Chiba3010
cthulhu wrote:
Ah, the problem in the end was the software revision...I've got a mid serial numbered Japanese AES and that one's not too bad in my opinion.

Yeah, I guess it ultimately was the mobo revision causing the problems...:(

If I would come across one with a lower serial I would definitely buy it as a spare if the price was right.

While I was browsing for my new AES on eBay I came across 3 consoles with serials in the 40xxx's from Japanese sellers in the $220-$300 USD range (plus colossal shipping rates from around $70-$100+ Shock ). They were all a bit scuffed, scratched and dinged up cosmetically but if you have a spare AES in better shape you could always swap out the upper shells to transform your new "ugly duckling" into a beautiful SNK swan Thumbs Up

I've seen a few other systems during my search with even lower serials- the lowest being 14xxx if memory serves, as well as one in the 17xxx range. These were in great cosmetic shape to boot, so you know their former owners gave them alot of TLC (or just stored them somewhere and rarely played them). As you'd expect, those particular consoles were more expensive for said reasons.

All these were found over the course of a week or so, so they are out there. Happy hunting! Hopefully you won't have too much trouble finding a nice one at a reasonable price when you're ready to start looking Smile
Edited by Chiba3010 on 21. April 2012 18:38

NEO-GEO man
Ive got 3 AESs here, a first type ( sticker is missing, so i dont know serial ), a 3-5 and a 3-6, and a mate has a 3-3.

I can assure you Chiba, they will all play the same games, the same way, and the RGB vertical line issues can very easily be fixed on the 3-6, and they dont require any other mods to brighten up the colours either. Cut 3 traces and youre done. On a 3-5, you dont need to lift a finger.

Earlier revisions are darker cause they used the wrong value capacitors in the video output circuit, swap them for the correct value ( 470uF ) and they will be perfect as well.

At the end of the day, every single NEO-GEO AES console regardless of revision uses the same Sony CXA1145 chip, they all feed it with the same RGB signal, and with very little effort, can all be made to look exactly the same.

If youre getting glitches, youve got other issues, cause i can assure you i dont get them here!! Wink

Chiba3010
@Neo Geo Man: thanks for the insight into the board revisions and addressing their flaws! Thumbs Up You're a braver soul than I for taking a soldering iron to your console- I have no experience whatsoever with this approach. Still, if buying the second Neo didn't fix basically every issue I experienced with the first one, that'd have to be my next step. Fortunately, everything looks great on the lower serial system. Should I ever need to solder inside my system or carts I now know who to go to for advice Wink

NEO-GEO man
Ive taken a soldering iron to far more intricate and expensive items than the NEO-GEO let me tell ya!! The NEC CRT video projector on my ceiling in my bedroom has got more than 300 new electrolytic capacitors in it, which took me quite a few hours to replace.

The AES is easy, its very basic and the info is easily found if you know what youre reading and how to make sense of it.

The reason youre having no issues with your other machine is cause it is likely in better condition in one way or another, its got little or nothing to do with the revision.

Chiba3010
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Ive taken a soldering iron to far more intricate and expensive items than the NEO-GEO let me tell ya!! The NEC CRT video projector on my ceiling in my bedroom has got more than 300 new electrolytic capacitors in it, which took me quite a few hours to replace.

The AES is easy, its very basic and the info is easily found if you know what youre reading and how to make sense of it.

The reason youre having no issues with your other machine is cause it is likely in better condition in one way or another, its got little or nothing to do with the revision.

Wish I'd known there were such simple fixes! Well, should anything ever go wrong with my current console, at least I now have a backup unit that could be brought up to par with a few tweaks. Wink
Thanks again!

NEO-GEO man
Not a problem, just be careful what you read on forums cause it is a very common misconception that some NEO-GEO consoles are "better" than others, and i dont reckon that is true, they are all technically capable of exactly the same things, and that is a dead set solid fact.

Jump to Forum: