Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 3896
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2211 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A RETURN TO AN OLD FRIEND
STE C
This gaming gen has had its highs and lows and after 6 years I think its time to move on. We were always used to new consoles usually on a 4-5 year cycle but as we are all aware no new consoles ( apart from the Wii U but its this gens technology) planned for a few years yet taking the current gen to near 10 years. As long as people keep buying 360/PS3s then they aint in a hurry although I bet prototypes exist of the next machines. Nintendo aint daft as soon as Wii sales became sluggish they announced the Wii u, which to be frank does not excite me at all.
Imagine all the young gamers who got into gaming this gen and have not had the pleasure to get excited about a new console launch.

I am simply bored of the games and graphics as they have not evolved since Gears 1 in 2006 . Back in the year 1995 I got to experience Doom for the first time on my PS1 and have always been a huge FPS fan ever since. Back in those days a PC was out the question due to the cost although I knew they played host to the best FPS. The Dreamcast was going to be the console that I got to play the great games I strived for but many of the PC ports initially announced never arrived , although it did received a great Quake 3 port it was poorly catered for in the FPS field.

So towards the end of 2000 I was finally able to buy a PC capable of playing the latest games which was a golden time for FPS, this along with the Dreamcast era was possibly my favourite time for gaming. I was an avid PC gamer until 2002 when I went back to consoles due to my PC being outdated for new games and the arrival of the Gamecube & Xbox ( which had many great PC ports) . I did buy a new PC in 2006 which I am using now but due to having a PS3/360 I felt no need to get back into PC gaming due to the cost implications as well.

2012 guess what this weekend I am blowing £800 on a new gaming PC which will be my main gaming rig until the arrival of the new Xbox or whatever it will be called. Due to back/joint problems I am starting to experience and simple comfort the ( the years of gaming are maybe taking toll on my body I cant sit at a desk for to long) my PC will be played through my 42" tv + DD 5.1 with me on the sofa with a 360 pad, very much like I do now with my consoles. You see I am not what would you would call a graphics whore but after seeing games I love played on a friends PC , Sonic & Sega Racing, Bulletstorm, Lost Planet in beautiful 1080p 60frs it sold the idea to me. The games play the same but the difference in graphics to be honest is astonishing. Dont forget my beloved Max Payne 3 next month and I want to experience it in the best possible way 1080p 60frs.

Now I know this is a lot of money to spend but keep in mind a PC is a PC and this will be used as my home computer for the net ect long after it can no longer run new games as I see it as an investment. If the early next gen games don't impress me at first I can always upgrade my PC, although I do see this as a stop gap until the release of new consoles. I will have a lot of fun re-buying games ( very cheaply) I loved on the 360/PS3 to play again in lovely max settings. Call me mad but this is the most excited I have been for years about receiving a new gaming experience.
Edited by STE C on 14. April 2012 18:41

merlin
Like I said in chat to you STE I think despite the cost it's definitely a good move getting yourself a gaming PC. So many top quality games available for it in fact it's my favourite current gen system and I use it far more than my 360 for gaming. I'll be interested to hear about any PC games you acquire. I hope you will give the STALKER games a try. It seems like there are only a few people here at NGFL who are into current gen PC gaming so it's nice to have someone else to talk to about it. What are the specs of your new PC STE?

RiKo
Hi Ste Smile I am strange because i neveer really like playing games on my PC/laptop despite starting off playing on home-computers when i was young. I just like playing on the big TV, and how everything is so easy with consoles.

Now you mention it - i would quite like a new generation to start now - but even if you look at the latest PCs they are not really a full generation ahead - the games look better for sure like you say but its almost like technology doesnt improve as fast as it used to either that or its a case of diminishing returns. I read about the supposed Xbox 720 development kits (if they exist) and people were worried they werent enough of a step forward from the 360...

From what you say it sounds like a good choice for you to get a new gaming PC though STE Thumbs UpI dont think 800 is too much to spend ona decent gaming PC and of course you can use it for loads of other things too. Thats probably about how much i will spend on my next laptop (when i eventually replace my current one). i use my laptop so much, 800 pounds is a bargain!
Edited by RiKo on 15. April 2012 20:52
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
My friend is a compuer engineer merlin so he has advised this set up which I orederd tonight

LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard

Item: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit

: Be Quiet 530W Pure Power PSU

: Corsair 8GB (2x4GCool DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Item: Sapphire HD 7870 GHZ OC Edition 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache

He reckons its a kick arse machine, certainly enough to tide me over until the new Xbox and beyond, I cant wait to play Serious Sam 3 , Hard Reset, and I will get the Stalker games as well. Ma x Payne 3 next month whoooh

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit

HMMM...
can't have it all I suppose, eh? Pfft

I'm kidding dude! Congrats STE... I'm really chuffed for you, that you've found some modern gaming tech that you are TRULY excited about owning.

I don't think that will EVER happen again for me. Dare I say, the DC is the last 'modern' machine I was TRULY excited about owning AND playing.

GCN, PS2 & XBOX were mere acquisitions of requirement and this gen has been the same. All the titles I had been excited for had disappointed me - from RE5 to SF4 to KOFXII and beyond! Thankfully, new, fresh and exciting titles have still managed to entice me (MEdge, MStorm etc)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Murikov
Congrats on getting one hell of a machine, STE! I'm sure you will enjoy experiencing all old and new titles this way! Thumbs Up

As a PC gamer for myself I know how it feels to make a new step in terms of hardware. It's like making a step into a new, refined dimension.

And in this case I just have to second Merlin:

merlin wrote:
I'll be interested to hear about any PC games you acquire. I hope you will give the STALKER games a try.

http://www.amazon...amp;sr=1-4
http://www.amazon...amp;sr=1-2

After patching all the games you might experience one of the most atmospheric FPS/RPG experiences in PC gaming history. Another great, similar title is Metro 2033. I can recommend you that one too, and with your new machine you'd certainly step into another world...
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
Your PC has very good specs STE and is significantly better than my one. That should be able to handle the latest games for years to come.

Like you say Murikov the atmosphere is incredible in the STALKER games. One of the things that impresses me the most in the STALKER series is that final battle in Shadow of Chernobyl when you're going for the best/true ending. Epic.

Jump to Forum: