Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3892
Thread Info
There are 15 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2313 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What Are Your Favourite Current-Generation Games?
RiKo
I think i did a thread like this a few years ago but really interested to see people's choices now - What are you favourite games of this generation?

By current-gen - I am thinking of the main consoles (PS3/360.Wii) but feel free to make lists for handhelds if you wish and you can divide into single player and multiplayer if you feel the need (since there is often a big difference between single and multiplayer modes this gen)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a strange relation with this generation (ie not playing it that much, SSFIV aside) but for what it's worth here's my list. i only have a 360 so all my games are from that.

Main Console:

1. Super Street Fighter IV : AE (360) (been playing this game regularly for maybe 8 months now - over 100 hours playtime according to the stats - and i still want to play it)

2. Geometry Wars Evolved 2 (XBLA) - brilliant score attack game, rare in that every game mode seems to be great! + brilliant for competing against friends too.

3. Space Giraffe (XBLA) a superb game, forget the demo, buy it (its cheap!) and play to at least level 18 then you will understand it.

4. Outrun HD (XBLA) - 'The Beautiful Journey'. it's just like the arcade game but better (cabinet aside)

5. Mirror's Edge (360) - great aesthetic, and gameplay + i like how it isnt open world and is quite focused and linear too. Shame they cancelled the sequel (due to poor sales of the original) but it would have probably been more of the same anyway...

6. Dead Or Alive 4 (360) - Itagaki said this was going to be the definitive DOA, and he's probably right. Suffers a little from being an early game in terms of gfx but still plays very well. Smaller time-frames to pull off reversals mean the combat balance shifts towards attacking again too. My most played fighter after SSF4

7 Tekken 6 (360)
- awesome version of Tekken - maybe the best? Sensibly (like SSFIV) there is no unlocking of fighters this time round. so you get about 40 fighters from start off. I havent played this as much as i'd like to otherwise it might be higher. i like playing with Lily Smile

8. Trials HD (XBLA) - simple Excitebike like controls but devious courses. great game.

9. Limbo (XBLA) everyone knows this is special. a game you will enjoy for a short time and move on, but superb while it lasts.

10. Lost Planet (360) - Ninja recommended me this as a game with last-gen gameplay but with current-gen graphics, and i really enjoyed it. I wish i could be a little more maneuverable in the game but otherwise its a great game - a bit like Aliens set in the Antarctic, you even get to stomp around for most of the game in a giant mech.

11. Pure (360) - Superb Arcade racer. One of the best ever (Seriously!) Buy it!

12. Resident Evil 5 (360) - unlike most people i really like this game. It's not RE4 but that's a good thing in my opinion (RE4 *is* better but i didnt want a retread), and its not racist just cos you are a white guy shooting black guys. jesus!

13. Robotron 2084 (XBLA) If they could make games this good in 1982 imagine what they would be like in 30 years time! - um....kind of the same actually (Geometry Wars *cough*) This would be on my list if they hadnt taken the 360 version down, I have been playing it on my Xbox 1 for free.

14. Pac Man : Championship Edition (XBLA)- brilliant techno/trance reworking of Pacman.

15. GTA 4 (360) - would be higher if i had been able to play it more, kind of like the evil version of Shenmue. i still prefer San Andreas though....

16. Afterburner Climax (XBLA) - shortlived but awesome. Again you get the arcade machine in your home, minus the cheap moveable cabinet Smile

17. Flat Out : Ultimate Carnage (360) - very underrated. Burnout may have dropped the ball this generation but Flatout just got better. - look out for the new Ridge Racer (by the same developers)

18. Gears of War 2 (360) one of those hollywood blockbuster style games i could probably do without but fun while it lasts. and it smells of money...

19. Skate Tony Hawks? who? a real revolution in skateboard games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handheld (i only have a 3DS)

1. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - I didnt like New Super Mario Bros at all but i absolutely love this - every level is different, and apart from making it seem like you have a world in the palm of your hand - the 3D really helps you to judge distances. I would buy a 3DS for this game.
Edited by RiKo on 15. April 2012 21:06
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
AS ALWAYS...
nice thread RiKo! I'm always a fan of the thought provoking and comparison-type threads Thumbs Up

I'm going to not include the Wii, as there is quite a lot there that I like vs PS3/360:

In no particular order:

HARDCORPS: UPRISING
a truly awesome run n gun action game and... quite arguably (I HATE to say it) the best Contra yet. It just play so very, very well. It looks and sounds great too!

BLOODRAYNE: BETRAYAL
another DLC platformer. A healthy, healthy mix of Castlevania meets ArcSys. It has NOTHING to do with ArcSys, but has their feel all over it. If you've never heard of this, or even bothered to look at this game before - change that situation here and now. Consider this the 'trigger'.

GTI CLUB+
I never got to play a great deal of this in the arcade back in the day, but the 'respect' and intrigue was always there. Needless to say, when they announced it for PS3, I jumped all over it. I have spent HOURS online playing bombtag and vs racing. A nice little game indeed! Pretty much dead online though nowadays :(

SOLDNER X2: FINAL PROTOTYPE
A nice, well produced and well executed side-scroller. More in the vein of Gradius tbh. Maybe underrated?

AFTER BURNER CLIMAX
Yes RiKo, I had to mention this also. A stunning game. Beautiful, arcade simplicity at it's finest. If I had to have ONE criticism though, a button for 'roll' (like ABII) would have been preferable, to avoid unwanted accidents in those tighter spots!

MORTAL KOMBAT: ARCADE KOLLECTION
Basically, Arcade perfect(?!) ports of MK1, MK2 & UMK3. For those with a long following of the original MK's, there's nothing not to like here - especially as MK1 & 2 are my personal faves in the series Smile

------------------------------

MIRRORS EDGE
I too was blown away by this game. very original and fresh - just what I was looking for from my next gen outings.

LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION
Like RiKo mentioned, I am a big fan of this game. It's a traditional gaming experience 'dragged' into the 7th gen. Great stuff!

FEAR & FEAR 2
Merlin is a bigger fan than I, however, I have my own personal interest in this series too! I like these because they still incorporate traditional FPS 'values' and gaming style into the modern gen. It does away with modern cliched OTT cinematics, teamplay and attempts to deceive linearity and sticks to the good ol' FPS recipe of old - with a sprinkling of horror and atmosphere. It's not for everyone though...

RIDGE RACER 7
Basically an expansion on the PSP originals and RR6 for 360, however, this doesn't stop this from being an extremely amazing game. I'm a hardcore RR fan from the PS1 era and, for me, this was a great addition to the series. Nothing will ever top RRR and Rage Racer for me though... ever. Taking on the White Angel, on expert using 13th Racing on Type Z (manual) is still as exhilarating as it ever was... except, I'm older and more experienced now :( Grin

MOTORSTORM & MOTORSTORM PACIFIC RIFT
Quite simply, Motorstorm 1 was great. It was original and quite ambitious. I'd say it was marred slightly by Sony's horrible fake PS3 vids prior to the games launch. See past the lies and it's a truly fantastic racing game. The sequel, however, blows the original away in every respect and, for me, IS... one of the best racing games EVER to grace the face of this planet. A beautiful, well balanced and exhilarating racing game with that old school challenge-feel to it (i.e. it's pretty solid in places!).

Shame 'Apocalypse', whilst good/fun, can't hold a candle to it's predecessors (Burnout 3 syndrome me thinks).

WipeOutHDFury
Superb update to the series of old, which still maintains it's ability to exhilarate with bilstering track design, speed and overall cool, today. WipeOut has never really lost it's touch Wink (although, Fusion on PS2 was utter GASH!)

UNCHARTED
Ok. So I've ONLY played through the first game (over Xmas time) and, contrary to my prejudices, this game blew me away! And, all I ever hear is how much better the sequels are! So, although I haven't yet embraced them, I know I won't be disappointed. I don't think anyone who has ever played these games has ever disliked them! well, I've never heard a bad word said myself, and that really says something... I think.

SEGA RALLY REVO
yes, that one that came out in 2007 (SRrevo). Yeah, contrary to PPL's disgust in the game, I REALLY like(d) it. It's only real flaw was the extreme difficulty and merciless 'win' structure (i.e. you HAVE to come 1st in all 3 races to earn max points. Failure to win one of those races means you have to do ALL 3 again - thus resetting your last efforts! Nasty stuff indeed). SEGA RALLY ONLINE was nice, but lacked the depth of the 2007 original, imo (I own both).

MORE OBVIOUS TITLES...
that deserve a mention include KOF13, SFxTKN, Tekken 6. SfxTKN is turning out to be a little gem. I'm really enjoying learning the TKN character variants and also the differences in gameplay vs SF4's more 'tame' offering. The game is all about combo's and juggling etc, except it doesn't try to be subtle about it. It's not dickhead OTT like MVC3 either though. It's just right imo. I DID really love SF4 when it first came out, but I got bored of it within a month or so. Not a good sign. SSF4 with it's more interesting roster (SF4 was sleep worthy) was too little, too late unfortunately Roll Eyes

360 TITLES I ENJOYED...
back when I briefly had one included: Gears of War, BioShock, Forza 2 and the underrated yet awesome Condemned. That IS a great game.

CURRENT GEN GAMES I HAVE NOT...
yet embraced, however, I already know I'll love include:
God of War III, MGS4, Yakuza series for PS3 to name a few. I still have El Shaddai and ND4SPD Hot Pursuit sealed up in my cupboard, so may love them too yet, who knows?!

ON THE WHOLE...
I've enjoyed what I've played, but I certainly have had my moneys worth out of this gen vs previous generations - especially the 6th gen (PS2 & DC especially).

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
I'm gonna purposely only talk about great games that don't get talked about much. Yeah, I love games like Portal 2 or Batman: Arkham City, but they already get their props.

Condemned
- One of the most brilliant horror titles ever made. I haven't been this scared playing a video game since Silent Hill. The original!

Enslaved - Possibly my favorite game this generation. The controls are tight, the combat is deep and satisfying, the graphics are gorgeous, and the characters are more interesting than most RPGs I've played. Seriously, if you haven't played this game just stop reading and go get it right now.

Battle Fantasia - I love RPGs and I love fighting games, so when I first heard of a fighting game set in a make shift RPG universe I was intrigued. It completely shattered my expectations. It's also worth noting that it plays nothing like any other Arc System Works fighter.

Golden Axe: Beast Rider - Take a classic beat'em up, put it in 3D, and then ignore what mainstream gamers now-a-days want in games. That's what the developers did when they made Beast Rider. People complain that it's too linear when in the originals you started on the left and you walked to the right. If you want a modern action game look elsewhere. If you want a 3D beat'em up then you'll walk away happy. Shame there's no 2 player mode though.

Shadow Complex - If Enslaved isn't my favorite of this generation, this is. Basically, the folks at Chair loved the old Metroid games and were tired of waiting for Nintendo to make a new one, so they made their own take on it. It's unapologetically Metroid, but it also evolves Metroid's gameplay in ways that Nintendo never allowed the series to do.

Outland - Wonderboy in Monster World, Limbo, and Ikaruga somehow all had a baby together. And God do I love it.

PS3
Wipeout HD Fury
- I didn't like Wipeout Fusion (PS2) so I thought I was done with the series. Luckily the PSN got hacked and I got this for free! The single player modes have so much variety I feel like I'm belittling the game by classifying it as simply a racing game.

...I've only had my PS3 for 4 months so that's all for now. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my other favorites though.

STE C
Aye despite the negative critisism this gen gets it does have some cracking games, sadly not as many as the 32/128 bit era mind.

Lost Planet, well chosen guys despite being 6 years old this is still a great game with wonderful gameplay and graphics. Shame the sequel was such a turkey.

Gears Of War, still think the first game is the best of the trilogy and a game that set the benchmark so high that it still has not been topped after 6 years.

Fear 1&2 , enough said wonderful FPS shame 3 was shite.

Sonic & Sega All Star Racing, one of the best racing games of all time, pure genius.

Viking Battle For Asgard, overlooked but fantastic hack n slash with mild rpg elements , way better than Fable.

Rage, that ID magic is still there , best FPS since Doom 3.

Alan Wake, superb horror title inspired by Res 4 .

Bullestorm. amazing looking and very original FPS that lost money for Epic, very sad as its a great game which sadly wont see a sequel.

Uncharted 1, a GOW for PS3 owners, 1& 2 are amazing games some of the best of this gen, sadly 3 was very mediocre compared to the 1&2, .

A case of many franchises starting off great then failing to recapture the genius of the earlier games ref, GOW,Uncharted ,Fear, maybe a case of studio burnout.

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:Fear, maybe a case of studio burnout.

FEAR 3 OR F3AR...
wasn't developed by Monolith like it's finer prequels, if memory serves me correctly.

Can't defend your opinions on GOW sequels or Uncharted 3 though! Pfft

Ninja

reelmojo
STE C wrote:
Sonic & Sega All Star Racing, one of the best racing games of all time, pure genius.

That's one that I forgot! Hands down my favorite cart racer ever, which means it's even better than I'd hoped it would be. I still have love for Mario Kart: Double Dash, but it's my number 2 now. And that's not just because of my Sega bias. The track design and overall feel of the game is just amazing.

Darksiders also needs to be mentioned. It's sadly often called a God of War clone when in reality it plays nothing like it. Then again, it seems any third person game with smoothly animated melee combat is accused of ripping off God of War anymore.

Also, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. After playing Geometry Wars 2 to death I was sad that seemingly every other twin stick shooter felt like a clone of it (or a clone of Robotron, but whatever). I really wanted one that took the twin stick control scheme and used it in less of an arcade game and more of a console action adventure. You know, some level design, multiple weapons, a sense of progression, maybe some platforming and puzzle solving... what I wanted was Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. They also threw in an amazing co-op mode.
Edited by reelmojo on 12. April 2012 05:43

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
STE C wrote:

That's one that I forgot! Hands down my favorite cart racer ever, which means it's even better than I'd hoped it would be. I still have love for Mario Kart: Double Dash, but it's my number 2 now. And that's not just because of my Sega bias. The track design and overall feel of the game is just amazing.

I'M GONNA COLLECT SASASR...
for PS3 or Wii at some point and give it a go. It looks to be one of the few recent SEGA titles (outside of the Yakuza series, of course Wink ) worth picking up.

Fave Kart racer for me, ever, would still have to be RARE's Diddy Kong Racing for the N64. Now that game was/is genius. Smile

Ninja

-SD-
Other than BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, the rest of ASW's fighters and KOF XIII, I'm going to say Skylanders.

It's not the deepest game in the world but I've been playing it with my boy and we've had great fun levelling all the characters up and finding all the secret bits. We've got 28 of of the 32 figures so far but it's getting harder to get the funds to buy the upgrades from the fairy Beard

Hopefully though the PlayStation Portal will work with the Wii version of the game. So he can start from scratch with all the treasure to find and play through the game again. That'll keep him busy for a while. It best work, as the PS3 is going in the cab when it arrives.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

STE C
Believe it or not SASASR was developed, here in the UK by one of the studios Sega bought so its British made. Its an amazing game Ninja you gotta get it and you should find it for about £10 nowadays which is great value as it will last you weeks. Go for the PS3 version if you want my advice because the beautiful graphics really do add to the game, im sure the Wii version is fine mind.

merlin
Good topic RiKo. I'm going to be a bit lazy and just post a list. However I do want to talk about one game which no-one mentioned yet: Crysis 2.

I loved the earlier Crysis games but this is significantly better and I'd say one of the best FPS games of recent years. If you have any interest in the FPS genre then you can't afford to miss this one. The switch to a post-apocalyptic New York setting was a great idea and the story is really well done too. Level designs are excellent and the combat feels satisfying. One of the most fun things is using cloak mode. You can stay cloaked for far longer than in the earlier games and it's very satisfying sneaking up on enemies and getting stealth kills.

My list:

PC

Age of Pirates 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty World at War
Crysis 2
FEAR series
Quake 4
Rage
Red Orchestra series
STALKER Call of Pripyat
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Various Cave shooters
Raiden IV
Castle Crashers
AfterBurner Climax
OutRun Online Arcade
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

RiKo
I just added Pure and Skate to my list. Skate really is a major innovation in skateboarding games - the control scheme really is incredible (compared to what we had before), so instinctive. I prefer Skate 1 because it seems to move a lot more smoother than the 2nd game, and that really improves the gameplay for me - it's all about how it moves.

Pure is just an awesome arcade racer, it feels like you are racing those sit-on lawn mowers, best arcade racer of this gen for me. Huge jumps, and superb looking courses, + loads of other racers. great game, i would actually say one of the best arcade racers of all time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Ninja - Interesting you say GTI Club ninja, thats a game i played in Motorway service stations a lot and i would have loved an improved version on the 360 *jealous*

I'm surprised you like Soldner X, i've read so many bad reviews of that game, but maybe this 'final version' is a lot improved? a bit like Pink Bullets? (i love that)

I would def want Wipeout and Motorstorm would have been a game that might have tempted me to buy a PS3 because at the time it was one of the few PS3 games that was easily outclassing 360 games in terms of looks. Of course the price of the PS3 at the time would have put me off though lol.

Mojo - really intersted in Enslaved, ive heard thats a good game, some people critiscised it for takingg control away from the palyer and making it a bit easy - e.g. you cant die when climbing, which peopel say removes the tension. I would liek to play that though. Shadow COmplex too. sounds very interesting.

Ste - really want to try Bulletstorm, downloaded the demo and forgot about it!

STE wrote :- Sonic & Sega All Star Racing, one of the best racing games of all time, pure genius.

I downloaded the demo for that, and i love the graphics and the fact you can play as Ryo Hazuki! its like god has arrived on the track. I was put off by it dropping frames at certain times, i really hate that Smile, does the final version do that? Really vibrant looking game though.

SD - going to have to look up skylanders i've never heard of it! really great to see you enjoying your fighters though

Merlin - great list, you seem like a bit of fps expert! i thought you would have Oblivion + Outrun, what do you think of Skyrim?
Edited by RiKo on 15. April 2012 21:11

Lavabeast
There are some amazing choices here. So here is my rundown ^__^

1.Skullgirls(Beyond great...the hype is well founded for once)
2.Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition
3.King of Fighters 13
4.Gran Turismo 5

Short list but I could make massive list but I cut it down to the most played ones.
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
@Ninja - Interesting you say GTI Club ninja, thats a game i played in Motorway service stations a lot and i would have loved an improved version on the 360 *jealous*

IT'S A TITLE I HAD ALWAYS HOPED...
would make it to home consoles when I was younger, but for some obscure reason (no idea!) it never did. So, when the opportunity to buy a HD remake on a home console arose, I couldn't not buy it Wink

RiKo wrote:
I'm surprised you like Soldner X, i've read so many bad reviews of that game, but maybe this 'final version' is a lot improved? a bit like Pink Bullets? (i love that)

AH, AH, AAHH...
Lets NOT get Soldner X and Soldner X2 confused now, eh? The difference between X and X2 is like comparing SFighter EX3 to SSFighter 4. well, not quite, but I suspect you get the idea Wink

RiKo wrote:
I would def want Wipeout and Motorstorm would have been a game that might have tempted me to buy a PS3 because at the time it was one of the few PS3 games that was easily outclassing 360 games in terms of looks. Of course the price of the PS3 at the time would have put me off though lol.

BASED ON YOUR PRAISE FOR 'PURE'...
I would imagine that MotorStorm 1 & 2 would be MORE than right up your alley. I've played PURE and can quite honestly tell you the MotorStorm games blow it away! I'm being honest. MotorStorm Pacific Rift IS definitely one of the best Arcade racers ever created. It's digital genius burned to disc for all to enjoy. PURE is great, an dthe nearest thing you'll get to MotorStorm on a 360 - but then Quantum Theory is the nearest the PS3 got to Gears of War Wink

Ninja

merlin
RiKo wrote:
Merlin - great list, you seem like a bit of fps expert! i thought you would have Oblivion + Outrun, what do you think of Skyrim?

Thanks. Good to see you put OutRun Online Arcade and AfterBurner Climax on your list too RiKo. I still haven't bought Skyrim. I definitely will do at some point and will probably love it but right now I'm more into FPS games.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

RiKo
Ninja wrote :- IT'S A TITLE I HAD ALWAYS HOPED...
would make it to home consoles when I was younger, but for some obscure reason (no idea!) it never did. So, when the opportunity to buy a HD remake on a home console arose, I couldn't not buy it Wink

yes strange maybe it was to do with licensing issues they often stop arcade games being released at home. I remember when Sega just owned the Star Wars licence in the arcades and couldnt release any of those games on home systems.

AH, AH, AAHH...
Lets NOT get Soldner X and Soldner X2 confused now, eh? The difference between X and X2 is like comparing SFighter EX3 to SSFighter 4. well, not quite, but I suspect you get the idea Wink

oh ok my mistake. i dont know much about soldner X beyond reading some reviews of the first game, must be good if you like it though - i know you are a bit of a schmup conneisseur. i thought the first game looked ok from vids.

I would imagine that MotorStorm 1 & 2 would be MORE than right up your alley. I've played PURE and can quite honestly tell you the MotorStorm games blow it away! I'm being honest. MotorStorm Pacific Rift IS definitely one of the best Arcade racers ever created. It's digital genius burned to disc for all to enjoy. PURE is great, an dthe nearest thing you'll get to MotorStorm on a 360 - but then Quantum Theory is the nearest the PS3 got to Gears of War Wink

yes i love Pure, its probably the most instantly 'fun' game i have played this gen. It just gave me a big smile on my face the whole time i was playing it. Its even funny when you mess up and end up slamming into a cliff. Actually that was my only critiscism of it - they should have made more of the crashes. Instead they are eager just to reset you on the track and soon as possible. I wanted to watch my rider get hurt! I would love Motorstorm i think. i thoguht that when i first saw it running. although i wouldnt buy a PS3 just for that i dont think. but surely they are going to continue this series next-gen right? (mind you i thought that about Rollcage)

Really just doing laps isnt that fun, skillful though it may be. so i'm always surprised more racing games dont add loads of fun crazy stuff! these are video games after all.

Jump to Forum: