Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 3890
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8667 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Power Spikes 2. What do you think of it?
A futuristic Volleyball game? You gotta kidding me! A futuristic Volleyball game? You gotta kidding me! 13%[1 Vote]
It's indeed the worst Neo Geo title in existence! It's indeed the worst Neo Geo title in existence! 25%[2 Votes]
It's average, but not so bad as its reputation. It's average, but not so bad as its reputation. 13%[1 Vote]
It's actually quite fun if you get into the gameplay mechanics. It's actually quite fun if you get into the gameplay mechanics. 25%[2 Votes]
Power Spikes 2 is awesome, I don't get the turmoil about it! Power Spikes 2 is awesome, I don't get the turmoil about it! 25%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 8
 Print Thread
Power Spikes 2 - Game of the Week
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Week!

Video System, better known as developers of the Sonic Wings series, released in 1994 a sequel of their volleyball game Power Spikes. Unlike its predecessor, Power Spikes 2 was developed on the Neo Geo arcade hardware and was not released as PCB.

The game doesn't exactly enjoy a good reputation amongst the Neo Geo community. At this point I'd like to quote a reviewer from Videogamecritic.net, who obviously was far from pleased after playing Power Spikes 2:

Videogamecritic.net:
Wow, I never imagined a Neo Geo game could be as monumentally bad as this is! Power Spikes II is practically an insult to this system. If this is the sequel, the first Power Spikes must have been an absolute abomination!

However, give Power Spikes 2 a go by yourself and discover if it does justice to its reputation. Our High Score Challenge is a perfect opportunity to find out!

Power Spikes 2

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Power%20Spikes%202/insertpspikes2.png

Genre: Sports
Players: 2
Size: 82
Released on: MVS, AES (Conversion), NGCD

Brief Description:

Power Spikes II is the sequel to Video System's Super Volley '91 /Power Spikes volleyball video game released in 1991 as Arcade PCB. However, instead of featuring only realistic volleyball like its predecessor, Power Spikes II also includes a space-based "hyper" league. Power Spikes II has three leagues: Hyper League, World Men, and World Women. Each league is composed of eight teams from different countries.

Screenshots:

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Power%20Spikes%202/0000.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Power%20Spikes%202/0007.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Power%20Spikes%202/0003.png
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Power%20Spikes%202/0011.png

Reviews:

Power Spikes 2 review by Kazuya_UK
Power Spikes 2 review by Kyle Knight

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=3891

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 KOF '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarök -->
#115 SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash -->
#116 The King of Fighters 2000 -->
#117 The Irritating Maze -->
#118 Buriki One -->
Edited by Murikov on 08. April 2012 19:46
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Murikov
Hm, not much of a turmoil here. I was expecting arguing members swearing about this game and sending it to hell.

Anyway, I was the one to vote "It's actually quite fun", as I think it really is if the controls are learned properly. One problem of Power Spikes 2 is that it's absolutely intolerant to button mashing and it's really punishing if one does so. You can't just get into it and start playing it, this time you really need to read the "How to play" screen with all its shit explained. To learn and master all the serves and spikes is priority #1 in Power Spikes 2 and then it is acutally fun, especially in 2 Player Versus mode (err, not that I'm a Power Spikes pro by now).

After playing it for about 1 hour, my and my fellow player's final verdict on this was "not so bad". Of course it's not a masterpiece for SNK's 16-Bit system, the music and graphics for example are as rich as a 5 five years old's artistic creation.

But overall it's not such a failure as our long time favorite "Legend of Suckass Joe". Give it a go, it won't hurt you (I suppose).
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

shion
Hmm, I didn't know you could choose females; too bad they're all covered up in that silly armor. I'm the kind of gamer who will really play just about anything (retro), or at least try to, but even I have nothing nice to say about this stinker! I feel bad for the sap who dropped $200 for PS2 back in the day. I believe there is a Genesis port/remake of this title. Maybe that version is better?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
merlin
Seeing as it's game of the week I decided to give Power Spikes 2 another try and see if it really is as bad as I remember. I had a session earlier on with the game and have to say yes this truly is an abomination with no redeeming features whatsoever. Even if you get to grips with the mechanics of the game it's just so incredibly dull. You could fall asleep playing this.

The problem with Power Spikes 2 is the game design. A 2D side view volleyball game with tiny sprites where you can only move backwards and forwards is a stupid idea. They should have made it more like Super Dodge Ball. Even games like Fight Fever, Legend of Success Joe and Ninja Combat are superior to this. From Kaz's review:

Replay Value: 0/10

Grin

neros
Murikov wrote:
Anyway, I was the one to vote "It's actually quite fun", as I think it really is if the controls are learned properly. One problem of Power Spikes 2 is that it's absolutely intolerant to button mashing and it's really punishing if one does so. You can't just get into it and start playing it, this time you really need to read the "How to play" screen with all its shit explained. To learn and master all the serves and spikes is priority #1 in Power Spikes 2 and then it is acutally fun, especially in 2 Player Versus mode (err, not that I'm a Power Spikes pro by now).

I haven't played this since the time of the arcades. Some Mame here and there but I need to get this game for my MVS very soon. So I can play it for real again. I remember this as a good game, and have always been a little confused about people hating it? It's Neo Geo sports that can't be bad..! I like games where you have to learn how to play them before you can injoy them.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
Chiba3010
Ugh... Tried this through emulation and was thoroughly appalled. There's just no excuse for such poor visuals on the Neo (I've seen better crowd animation in NES games) and sluggish control response sinks the appeal even further. The Cyborg mode just seems like a desperate attempt to add variety to the game but only variety it adds is a different kind of stench. I hate to rag so hard on this thing but it really has no place on our beloved Neo Geo- or any other system for that matter. Shame on the dev team responsible for this turd and whoever though it was worth publishing. Hate to say it, but I'd rather play Legend of Success Joe over this any day (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little). Thumbs Down

I tried giving it some more time after reading Nero's comment, but I just couldn't warm up to it and my thoughts kept wandering to the massive number of games I'd rather be playing on system. This game, LoSJoe and Fight Fever are, IMO, the proverbial flaming bags of dog mess these dev teams left on SNK's doorstep after ringing the doorbell and running away.
Edited by Chiba3010 on 20. April 2012 19:45

bojan4o
This game is awesome
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

neros
Well I can only say that I actually still like this game! It feels maybe a little accured for starters but if you give it some time the game will show you the way ;-) The gameplay is deep and fun.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
bojan4o
The first is good too have you tried it?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

RiKo
I havent played this one but it doesnt look very good from the video. I used to like a game called Beach Volley on the Amiga and that looks loads better than this. Having said that maybe its better than it looks and some of you guys seem to like it but still probably not a game you would have spent £100+ on back in the day.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: