Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3868
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2548 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Stupidest Thing You Ever Heard or Belived about Videogames
RiKo
One of my friends who owned an N64 at the same time as I owned a Playstation told me that the reason it was a comparative failure was because Nintendo wasn't allowed to release it at the same time as the Playstation. Because this would have been illegal since it was too powerful, and that wouldn't have been fair on Sony. This wasn't a joke, he really believed this!

Reading old video game magazines recently has made me realise how many of these bullsh*t stories there were.

Anyone have any similar stories?
Edited by RiKo on 23. March 2012 20:29
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
RiKo
well i do Wink

I have lots of Super Nintendo magazines from around the time that the then Ultra-64 was being hyped by Nintendo. At this time the Playstation is out or coming out very soon and Nintendo needs SNES owners to wait for the N64. As a result almost every month there are pre-rendered demos from Silicon Graphics workstations being passed off as potentital games for the N64. With captions underneath saying things like 'this is what you can expect games to look like on the Ultra-64'. These demo images were were supplied to the magazines by Nintendo.

Of course this was complete bullshit, N64 games actually looked about 25% as good, and of course most came with a nice blurring effect Smile

Interesting that Sony was still doing this for the Playstation 3 and we were still falling for it!
Edited by RiKo on 25. March 2012 15:37

STE C
Yeah the whole N64 =T2 quality graphics was all the mags talked about for a while, how even more ridiculous the hype seemed once the console came out and was in my opinion a poorly designed machine.
The early PS2 screenshots showing photo realistic games like The Getaway was very dishonest especially as this helped sink the Dreamcast. At least Sega showed genuine game footage and tech demos that were actually done on the hardware before the DC was released.

Some of the rubbish people used to write into magazines was also very amusing, especially the kid who complained to CV+G about the lack of Jaguar coverage and claimed that Quake was nearly finished and ready to come out on the Jag Grin

Wonderboy
Ha, you read my mind Riko; the first thing that came to mind after reading your OP was the N64, specifically the claims Nintendo made from the rooftops for over a year. Here (in the U.S.), it was pretty intense, especially if you subscribed to Nintendo Power. You're right, they were practically guaranteeing their system's games would look exactly like the pictures (which, for '95, were pretty kick ass). It went on consistently for months and months. As we all probably know, the "ad" in the actual KI arcade machine actually inferred the "Ultra 64" port would be ripped straight from the machine (a la Dreamcast LOL) — the announcer would say, "Coming to the Ultra 64 later this year," while the logo neatly spun around. Boy was I disappointed when I actually saw the real games in '96. I felt foolish thinking (as a kid) they would bring forth a system that could play KI perfectly.
Edited by Wonderboy on 25. March 2012 20:30

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
RiKo
I remember reading a comment from someone at Rare when the Ultra 64 was in development and he indicated that the Killer Instinct hardware would only have fraction the power of the Ultra 64. Mind you when you saw the SNES version you would have thought that you could have got a perfect version on N64. i guess it would be memory/storage capacity that is the problem.

Actually talking about hardware hype - like STE was saying - surely The Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer in the PS2 rank among the most amount of hype/bullshit ever talked about a console. When you look back at the PS2 now, you see a lot of great games but they are generally quite traditional, and a lot are quite bland looking (lacking detail on textures). Sure there's a few arty games e.g. Ico, Collosus but not sure that you needed an 'Emotion engine' to make these games lol. Fair dos to Sony though - they got me to hang on for a PS2.

and remember this? haha

Both the U.S. Customs Service and the FBI are investigating the
apparent transfer of large numbers of Sony PlayStation 2s to Iraq,
according to military intelligence sources.

A secret Defense Intelligence Agency report states that as many as
4,000 of the popular video game units have been purchased in the United
States and shipped to Iraq in the last two to three months.

What gives? Does Saddam Hussein have an extraordinarily long
Christmas shopping list? And why would U.S. military and intelligence
officials be concerned about such a transfer?

Two government agencies are investigating the purchases because the
PlayStations can be bundled together into a sort of crude super-computer
and used for a variety of military applications, say intelligence
sources.

“Most Americans don’t realize that each PlayStation
unit contains a CPU — every bit as powerful as
the processor found in most desktop and laptop
computers,” said one military intelligence officer who
declined to be identified. “Beyond that, the graphics
capabilities of a PlayStation are staggering — five
times more powerful than that of a typical graphics
workstation, and roughly 15 times more powerful
than the graphics cards found in most PCs.”

http://www.wnd.co...0/12/7640/
Edited by RiKo on 28. March 2012 14:46

leightonandoff
That Duke Nukem Forever would never be released. LOL

reelmojo
I have a friend who actually thought the whole "It's Thinking" promotion for the Dreamcast was real a hardware feature. Like... it thought... or something.

I also knew an N64 owner in high school who was constantly stating how much better it was than my Playstation. Of course, that alone was pretty stupid, but he killed me one day by claiming that when the 64DD came out that would allow him to play Playstation games on his N64! So, for starters he believed if you put a Playstation CD in any round electronic hole it will play the game. I'm surprised he didn't try to put one in a stereo! What's worse is he wasn't even aware of what was going on with the system he actually owned. It's 64DD, not 64CD! LOL

Of course, you could also say he was crazy for even thinking the thing would come out, or that it would be a good idea if it did. Anyone who owned a 32X could have told you the 64DD was probably a horrible idea, but I digress.

As for myself, I believed there was a way to get hidden alternate versions of characters in Final Fantasy VII despite the fact that there was no evidence of this. I tried naming Red XIII Blue XIII to no avail. Also, I just knew there had to be a way to add Sephiroth to your party. That's right, I was that kid. What can I say, I was 15!

RiKo
Mojo wrote :- I have a friend who actually thought the whole "It's Thinking" promotion for the Dreamcast was real a hardware feature. Like... it thought... or something.

what do you mean? that's a major hardware feature of the dreamcast! It was thoughtful enough to give you games that cost a lot of money to make but that had no chance of actually making their parent company any money backWink

Mojo wrote:- I also knew an N64 owner in high school who was constantly stating how much better it was than my Playstation. Of course, that alone was pretty stupid, but he killed me one day by claiming that when the 64DD came out that would allow him to play Playstation games on his N64! So, for starters he believed if you put a Playstation CD in any round electronic hole it will play the game. I'm surprised he didn't try to put one in a stereo! What's worse is he wasn't even aware of what was going on with the system he actually owned. It's 64DD, not 64CD! LOL

haha i have read a few letters in magazine asking when Sonic was coming out on the SNES and also whether the N64 would play Playstation games too when it come out. ah the nievety of youth...

Although - I do remember there was device for the Colecovision that let it play Atari 2600 games (their direct competitor!).
Edited by RiKo on 08. April 2012 15:02

STE C
[quote
what do you mean? that's a major hardware feature of the dreamcast! It was thoughtful enough to give you games that cost a lot of money to make but that had no chance of actually making their parent company any money backWink

Bravo Riko that is so true Smile I have never considered the Dreamcast a failure , how can a console that delivered so many quality titles ever be tarnished with that brush. A financial failure perhaps but in terms of gaming , it was and still is a triumph and the last great console for arcade games & more.
Edited by STE C on 08. April 2012 18:42

Lavabeast
STE C wrote:
[quote

Bravo Riko that is so true Smile I have never considered the Dreamcast a failure , how can a console that delivered so many quality titles ever be tarnished with that brush. A financial failure perhaps but in terms of gaming , it was and still is a triumph and the last great console for arcade games & more.

Only Sega views the Dreamcast as a failure as it's mentioned financially. I agree 100% that it was the last great system for countless fighters, and I still give Record of Lodoss War many spins to this day.
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

Wonderboy
I'm pretty much just repeating the same thing as has been stated, but it bugs me how Sony overhyped the PS2, especially the processor and graphics. Maybe I'm just bias, but the DC handles action games superiorly to the PS2. Hmm, maybe that's because it essentially is a Naomi board. Similar or the same action games just feel better on the DC, no doubt. Even racing and sports games are better IMO. As far as graphics, I've always felt PS2 graphics — even at its best — look grainy and dull, especially when compared to DC games. Sony had a lot of nerve calling their processor an emotion engine when, officially, its video couldn't even do high definition of the time (VGA/640 x 480)... The dull looking graphics is probably due to the PS2's poor ability to texturize anything, which stems from its puny (4 MCool video memory.
Edited by Wonderboy on 10. April 2012 00:15

RiKo
Tobalman wrote :- I'm pretty much just repeating the same thing as has been stated, but it bugs me how Sony overhyped the PS2, especially the processor and graphics. Maybe I'm just bias, but the DC handles action games superiorly to the PS2. Hmm, maybe that's because it essentially is a Naomi board. Similar or the same action games just feel better on the DC, no doubt. Even racing and sports games are better IMO. As far as graphics, I've always felt PS2 graphics — even at its best — look grainy and dull, especially when compared to DC games. Sony had a lot of nerve calling their processor an emotion engine when, officially, its video couldn't even do high definition of the time (VGA/640 x 480)... The dull looking graphics is probably due to the PS2's poor ability to texturize anything, which stems from its puny (4 MCool video memory.

yes the PS2 was a pig to program, it didnt have texture-compressione which the DC did have - so the DC could fit a lot more into its texture memory anyway. I think Sony only gave the PS2 4Mb for textures because the textures were meant to be continually 'piped' in one after another (the pS2 had great memory bandwidth through the system, and lots of DMA channels (direct memory access) ) but in reality this was a pig for developers to program, and only some of the high budget games could afford the devlopment resources to get it working. It's a shame because it meant it struggled to do simple games well for a long time - e.g. Crazy Taxi and DOA. It did get going late in its lifecycle but you had the Xbox then if you wanted technological superiority. The PS2 did get most of the good games though!

Wonderboy
Yes, the PS2 had a modest share of nicely textured games at a point well into its life. Better late than never... Don't tell a PS fanboy the PS2 huffed and puffed to produce those textures. LOL Even the best games, graphic wise, look dull to me though, texture or no texture. It's hard to "put my finger on it," but the graphics alway seem off especially in terms of color. Everything seems slightly slower and/or not as fluid than the DC (games not made for the DC I could image running as intended on the DC, i.e. faster). It's just heresay when we're talking about Playstation-only games, but given the DC's tried-and-true history of cranking out 95-100% arcade accurate ports and arcade-like games, it's more than reasonable to assume those (Platstation-only) games would play a bit faster on the DC, thus, play better. Many action games across the board I've observed lack that "umph" a little extra horsepower would produce. Wink Again, hard to describe in words, but physically observable, especially when one has been emerced in both DC and PS2 gaming.

On a different note: although I see similarity between the less-than-promised deliveries of the hyped consoles N64 and PS2, to be clear, there is a difference. I believe Nintendo sincerely thought it could deliver "Ultra 64" quality processing/graphics at some point in its hype cycle, whereas Sony flat out lied to its potential buyers from the start. There is a big difference in corporate thinking right there. As said, Sony will do it again in the future gen. The Wiiu could very much be in the same position as the DC over a decade ago: a sitting duck in the crosshairs of Sony's deceptive marketing machine.
Edited by Wonderboy on 09. May 2012 07:59

RiKo
I agree with you about the DC games looking the part - they just look so crisp and vibrant. even compared to the Xbox running Crazy Taxi 3 for example - the DC RGB output was crisper. It was a really well designed machine i think - very practical. I read they actually increased the texture memory at a request from Sonic Team who found they needed more when they were developing Sonic Adventure.

Tobalman wrote :- On a different note: although I see similarity between the less-than-promised deliveries of the hyped consoles N64 and PS2, to be clear, there is a difference. I believe Nintendo sincerely thought it could deliver "Ultra 64" quality processing/graphics at some point in its hype cycle, whereas Sony flat out lied to its potential buyers from the start. There is a big difference in corporate thinking right there. As said, Sony will do it again in the future gen. The Wiiu could very much be in the same position as the DC over a decade ago: a sitting duck in the crosshairs of Sony's deceptive marketing machine.

i half agree with you about this, i think Sony needed to create a lot of hype and buzz around their machine so that people would wait for it, and thats exactly what they did. In a way this killed of the DC, but at the same time Sega was a lot to blame for that too. Sony does keep making up stuff about their new consoles - as well as the PS2 - they did it again with the PS3 with the prerendered Killzone 2 and Motorstorm demos which they claimed were real. If that was Microsoft there would be mass-hatred but bizarrely no one much seems to pick Sony up on it.

I do think though that Sony did try to create an amazing machine, when you look at it - its all custom components and it must have been a huge cost to research and develop. It is quiet cleverly designed in some ways. The reality was though that in most part it struggled to do anti-aliasing because of memory issues, and lacked texture memory so you got a lot of indistinct games (using motion blur cos they couldnt anti-alias) with jagged edges, and bland textures. Also because of the difficulty in programming the PS2 most developers were using Renderware or some other middleware solution to create their games which also produced a lot of bland looking identikit games.

I do remember getting God of War 2 on PS2 and being blown away by how it looked, i think that showed exactly what the machine could do - but really that was at the end of its life cycle when the 360 was just about out. You wanted games looking like that within the first couple of years.

Wonderboy
You're probably right about Sony having genuine faith in its console's capabilities. The PS2 is capable of being a powerful console, as games late in the console's life demonstrate. A more accurate statement of Sony's marketing scheme, I would say, is: from the beginning Sony knew how powerful (on paper) the hardware was, and they also knew how hard it would be to program for it, yet they still promised great looking and playing games from the get go, as game show demos would suggest. This, clearly, would be misleading and promising falsely had Sony known the reality of programming for the PS2. Back in '00 and '01 what the masses were not told is that most hardware highlights were true only in theory, not in the actual games (especially for the first three years). To this day, it's amazing how many people bought into the pie-in-the-sky specs, or simply didn't care (tools/fanboys). I sure would've felt like a fool had I not realized Sony's specs were just nice sounding on paper. Smile
Edited by Wonderboy on 11. May 2012 22:58

RiKo
haha well I was someone who bought into what Sony said, I was a Playstation1 owner holding out for the Playstation 2 but when i saw the first games (they looked worse than DC games) i immediately went out and bought a Dreamcast. I only got a PS2 many years later when it was cheap. When i bought the Dreamcast it was already dying. shame:(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this letter in an old Amiga magazine. Here's a quote :

Regarding the recent letter from Paul Jon-Bowron, whereby it was stated that the 3D0 is a better machine than the CD32. Can I just ask if you're living on the same planet?

got to feel sorry for that girl though, she thinks she has the best console on the planet but in reality she has a CD32 lol

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TheOneLetterc.jpg

(click a couple of times to fully enlarge)

+ got to feel sorry for Commodore yet again sticking a computer into a console box, and thinking it would make a good games machine!

Another quote from that letter:

Let me put the record straight: the 3Do, the CDi, Jaguar, Megadrive and SnES are in a lower division than the CD32

Grin (probably right about the CDi though)

PS i own a CD32 (it can play pretty much every Amiga game but there's no other reason to own one really!)
Edited by RiKo on 14. May 2012 18:03

Jump to Forum: