Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3856
Thread Info
There are 9 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2600 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Shenmue HD?
RiKo
hope this is true Smile

Earlier this week the publisher teased that it "may be working on" a HD re-release of the beloved Dreamcast RPG. And now an industry source has told GamerZines that an HD port of Shenmue is definitely heading to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network - and that development on it wrapped up over 12 months ago.

http://www.comput...-year-ago/

http://www.metro....arcadia-hd
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
candycab
Never been a huge fan of the Series but it was pretty cool for its time technologically which always intrigued me. That said I enjoyed Yakuza a lot and will probably pick up the PS3 release. I have never been a huge fan of Japanese RPG's mainly because I find the stories just way too involved in drama and just not very interesting really, pretty much why I don't favor Anime much overall. It seems I usually lack the attention span required to care about any of the characters in the story when it comes to these things.

Always been more of the AD&D type RPG fan having grown up playing AD&D, Traveler, Auto Duel/Car Wars & some Morrow Project along the way. There is some story there but they get right into the action without droning on for ever about some sort of overblown drama. Still this Shenmue based RPG does interest me quite a bit, if anyone ever redid Shenmue ala Yakuza I would very happily pick it up :-)
Edited by candycab on 16. March 2012 16:43
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

TF73
If this really happens I'm a very happy man! One of the best games I have ever played. Love the setting and involving story. And if this is the first sign that Shenmue 3 is happening I'm in heaven!

STE C
Im all for it as it may just pave the way for Shenmue 3 if the HD remakes are successful. To be honest the Dreamcast versions look so good that im not sure if HD remakes are necessary but if it gets the gamers interested then cool as they are criminally ignored by many gamers.

Thing is Yu Suzuki has formed his own studio and question is will Sega donate the profits to him from the HD remakes so he can make Shenmue 3, the way Sega are nowadays possibly not.

The best games of all time .

reelmojo
If this is real (please, God let it be real!) I wouldn't be surprised if Yu Suzuki's new studio were responsible for it. In an interview about the Shenmue series Yu Suzuki said himself that it wouldn't be a problem to buy the rights to develop Shenmue III, which tells me that he and Sega are on good terms. And if his studio isn't developing this, they could still already be at work on Shenmue III.

Also, yes this HD update is absolutely necessary... not for any graphical reasons but only because the original Shenmue is still a Dreamcast exclusive to this day making it damn near impossible to introduce new players to it.

If this happens I'll buy it on both 360 and PS3. No joke.

RiKo
i have to admit i find it hard to play Shenmue on any console other than the DC, i dont know why - just it is at home there. The HD remake will be great for loading times and no disc swapping of course. They also said there will be twin analogue control - you could actually do that on the DC using the stick and the dpad (I did!) but it was very uncomfortable - bit like with Bangai-O.

I do worry a bit about sales, things like the animation and gfx are going to look dated for people coming new to the series (they looked dated on the Xbox 1). So I'm not sure if it will be that attractive to the massmarket - only if it was a total remake, which i doubt it will be.

Shenmue fans wll buy it, but if it isnt successful, it could mean no Shenmue 3, so a little worried about that. I would rather they made Shenmue 3 first as kind of a complete game that appeals to everyone. But hard to see how they can do it on the same scale as say GTA4? unless there is a huge budget and team which i somehow doubt.

Ryu going to strip and comedy clubs would be great though . He could go through his entire range of emotions :

"I see....",
"hmmm",
"this stripper is great but i wonder what Fuku-san is doing now?"
Edited by RiKo on 19. March 2012 16:46
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
What I want is Shenmue 3 on the Dreamcast , thats where it belongs on a GD Rom. Bye

Chiba3010
Shenmue 1 &2 are among my favorite games of all time. The sensation of freedom I felt when first setting foot into Sakuragaoka and Dobuita was truly amazing back in '99 and still manages to impress today. Even though "sandbox" games have evolved substantially during the past decade, Shenmue's plot and memorable characters are strong enough to endure and deserve to be seen to conclusion. Like RiKo, I do worry about how a re-release will be received by current-gen gamers who are unfamiliar with the series and might unfairly judge it a step backwards in open-world gaming compared to GTA4 or Skyrim.
For what its worth though, I don't know how many gamers have seen Shenmue in HD since HDTV owners were much thinner on the ground at the time of the DC release (or even the XBOX re-release for that matter). When I first booted up the system on my HDTV ten years after its original release (using a VGA box) I was stunned all over again by how great it looked! On a large screen, in hi-def, many DC games looked damn impressive even by current-gen standards Thumbs Up Perhaps other players will be impressed enough to at least give it a try.

I'd buy Shenmue HD on XBL to support the possibility of Shenmue 3 being developed... Keep the dream alive!

reelmojo
Shenmue might be considered a sandbox game, but it's completely different from GTA. It's also considered an RPG, but it's absolutely nothing like Final Fantasy. There's a reason they made up a new genre title when they made Shenmue. It's unclassifiable. Some people will hate it for that very reason alone. I feel sorry for those people.

For those who don't remember (or just don't know), the genre they created for Shenmue was called FREE, or Fully Reactive Eyes Entertainment. Yeah... I just called it a non-standard RPG too.

Jump to Forum: