Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 3847
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6778 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
SvC: Card Fighter's Clash. What do you think of it?
Trading Card games? Not my cup of tea. Trading Card games? Not my cup of tea. 0%[0 Votes]
Never played it, but maybe one day... Never played it, but maybe one day... 7%[1 Vote]
It sucks, absolutely not worth playing it. It sucks, absolutely not worth playing it. 0%[0 Votes]
It's quite OK but not exactly brilliant. The sequels are better. It's quite OK but not exactly brilliant. The sequels are better. 0%[0 Votes]
Awesome game, really addicting title for the NGPC. Awesome game, really addicting title for the NGPC. 64%[9 Votes]
No doubt, best game for the Neo Geo Pocket Color! No doubt, best game for the Neo Geo Pocket Color! 29%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - Game of the Week
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Week!

This week we're going for a Neo Geo Pocket Color title again, a game which has tried to match up with its biggest handheld competitor Pokémon back in the late nineties. A little earlier, SNK came from signing a deal with Capcom, allowing SNK to use Capcom IP for some of their games. The results of that contract were SvC:Chaos for Neo Geo, Match of the Millenium and in this case, the Card Fighters series for the Neo Geo Pocket.

Share your thoughts about this Trading Card RPG or give it a go if you haven't already. As this is a game without any Score tables, we can't offer a HSC this time, but this shouldn't hinder you from playing this excellent handheld gem!

By the way, I merged the Capcom and SNK version of the game into one GOTW thread, just like we did in some prior GOTW threads.

SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - SNK/Capcom Version

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/covercardsnk.jpg i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/covercardcapcom.jpg

Genre: Trading Card Game RPG
Players: 2
Size: 16 MEGS
Released on: Neo Geo Pocket Color

Brief Description:

SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash, released in 1999 for the Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld console, was the first crossover between SNK and Capcom. The game has a collectible trading card theme, spun off from the popular series of fighting games by SNK and Capcom, and also including references to many other kinds of games from both companies. The game uses cards based on Capcom and SNK characters from a variety of earlier and newer games.

The Characters in the game are illustrated in a SD art style, a super deformed style also known as Chibi. There are two complementary versions of the game: the SNK version and the Capcom version. Each version of the game has a different starting deck and different exclusive cards that can be obtained, but the game-play remains the same.

Screenshots:

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight1.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight2.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight6.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight3.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight5.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Card%20Fighters%20Clash/cardfight4.png
Reviews:

SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash review by Rain
SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash review by Nye

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

None this time.

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 KOF '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarök -->
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

Kazuya_UK
I never did own this game but I played it for a while, it was excellent. Love the artwork too, it's genuinely really good.

Although I didn't play it much, I heard it's still a lot better than the DS version...?

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
reelmojo
First off, Kaz, your sig... how awesome was that? In a cross over between two of the biggest fighting franchises in the world Capcom still couldn't resist making an SNK reference. Seems like a little nod of respect to me. Kind of their way of saying "We might not be crossing over with SNK right now, but they're still cool with us."

Now, to the game at hand... which actually is a crossover between SNK and Capcom. I haven't played the NGPC versions yet. I plan to try them someday but I don't know if I'll like them. I own the DS sequel which is supposedly inferior, but my main gripe with it was that I just never was able to understand how to play. I don't play other similar card games like Magic the Gathering either so it might be harder for my brain to wrap around it than it is for some other people. Still, I'm hoping the NGPC ones are a bit simpler, or at least have a more comprehensive tutorial.

Also, I would have much rather had a proper RPG set in SNK's greater fighting game universe. Since AOF, FF, and vicariously KOF all take place in the same universe there is a ton of material they could draw from. Plus Samurai Shodown and Last Blade both supposedly are in the same universe as well, just way in the past. Metal Slug could even be included! But a game of that scope would probably require too big of a budget for SNK now so I guess I'll just have to hope for a good fan game (and wait for the Samurai Shodown RPG fan translation to be finished in the mean time).

Murikov
I recently have started playing the SNK version of the game on a NGPC emulator (would rather prefer the real thing, really).

Judging from the screenshots and descriptions I first expected some kind of a Pokémon clone, but it actually feels quite different. The gameplay world as a whole is much more linear and smaller than it first seems and the duels themselves are much longer than I actually thought. The rules, which are explained quite well at the very beginning, are quite simple and quick to learn.

I especially like the ability to back-up your Character cards with other related cards, knowledge about SNK's character relationships proves to be practical here.

As a whole I must say Card Fighters is an excellent RPG, a very good alternative to other Trading Card Games. If the Game Duels weren't so long, I even would like it a little more.

Flavor
This is definitely my favorite game for the NGPC. The sequel is very good, too (and now available in English for anyone that didn't know).

This compares favorably against the Pokemon TCG on the GameBoy. Obviously, though, this one is better for fans of SNK or Capcom, because all the cards are based around their franchises.

Also, I think this game's learning curve is the lowest of all trading card games I've ever played. The mechanics are very simple to learn. Mastering them to build a competitive deck is where the fun really comes in.

Anyone should be able to pick up this game and play it fairly quickly. The investment in learning it is quite low, so don't let that put you off. Once you master this one, try the 2nd one "SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash 2 Expand Edition" which adds a new type of card (REACTION) allowing for more interesting interactions.

The DS version is more like a second cousin. It's in the same family, but it's not a real close relative.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation
NGPC Flash Cart and Linker Project

http://ngpc.freeplaytech.com/
Wonderboy
This is arguably the best game on the NGPC, IMO. It's funny that you selected this game Murikov, since I recently had a weekend of hardcore sessions of CFC (SNK Ed., of course). I mean, I played for hours at a time, which is unusual for me. Six years ago, I actually completed the Capcom Ed. (all 300 cards baby). It took about a month. It was really nice to return to the game after such a long period away, and I was hooked (again). This time, it only took me one weekend to get all 300 cards. I was playing a lot smarter this time. Boy, can this game be addicting! I want to disclose that I used NGP.EMU for the iPad to play, not the actual hardware. I did take a few shortcuts, using save states, but just to move the game along (which I believe actually made the game funner than if playing the way it was originally meant to be played). I used a hex editing program to get the 9 cards that would otherwise be impossible to get (on an emulator or without another player). If you're into strategy games, I highly recommend this game.
Edited by Wonderboy on 12. March 2012 19:14

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Murikov
Flavor wrote:
This is definitely my favorite game for the NGPC. The sequel is very good, too (and now available in English for anyone that didn't know).

Hey Flavor, I assume you're one of the project members responsible for the Card Fighter's Clash 2 rom translation? If yes, I'm highly impressed by your work, I've already tried it out a while ago and I hold this contribution to the Neo scene in very high regard. Really, great work! Thumbs Up

You sure are free to present yourself in the Arrivals thread, we're always glad to welcome any newcomers!

http://www.neogeo...forum_id=2

sukotsuto
I agree- definitely one of the must-have games for NGPC. I like how Flavor comparing the game to Gameboy's Pokemon Trading Card Game, as they're both my favorite handheld games within that span of time.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
-SD-
Definitely the best non-fighting games available on the Pocket.

I find it amusing that out of all the games to come from the SNK and Capcom collaboration, the four Pocket games are probably the most enjoyable.....
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Wonderboy
The Pokemon reference is correct in terms of the story and overworld I would say. I've never played Pokemon before, but juding by screenshots, it's obvious SNK modeled their overworld in the same manner. The actual card game is based on a simplified ver. of Magic. The fabled sequel (Expand Ed.) has its own unique overworld model. My only critique of the actual card game of CFC is it's too simple, and the games are therefore too short (in my experience). Expand Ed., fortunately, elaborates the gameplay by adding counter actions, thus making the game feel more like a full Magic game.

Flavor
I currently play the real life Pokemon TCG, and I have played Magic quite a bit (but not for a while). I really enjoy the videogame adaptations of these sort of games, because it gives you the challenge of trying to build an optimal deck out of a suboptimal set of cards. Each time you get new cards, you have to re-evaluate your deck to see if the cards will improve it.

At the core of the game CFC is quite simple, and I don't think I would enjoy it as a real life game anywhere near as much as I like the videogame version. Part of the game, though, is learning the AI and how to get yourself out of bad situations. The opponent might have a superior deck, but if you can make informed guesses about how they will react to situations, you may be able to maneuver yourself into a winable position.

I think CFC is a very well made game, but Magic and Pokemon are real life TCGs first and computer games second. In my opinion, CFC is much more a videogame that could be played in real life.

I know that some of you may scoff at a call to play Pokemon or a Nintendo product, but I do think that if you like these games and are looking for more, you would probably enjoy the Pokemon TCG on the Gameboy/GBC. There is also a translation patch for the Pokemon TCG 2 that never came out in the US. I have yet to play it, though.

Oh, and yes, I am the project lead behind the CFC2English translation project. I can't take credit for it all. I can't speak/read a lick of Japanese, but I did much of the technical work.

I haven't used NGP.EMU, but I can say that if you have a PSP, the RACE emulator (which I also worked on) is quite nice especially since another guy took the project and added some usability features.
http://psp.akop.o...
There's also a NDS one that I built to play CFC2English. It's not as nice, though. I think you can find the link here.
http://cfc2englis...gspot.com/

And as a shameless plug for anyone that wants to play on real hardware, I have been making new flash carts. You can see that in my sig if you care.

I might get around to making an arrival thread later, but I'll just say that I've been a lurker here at NeoGeoForLife for MANY years. I used to read the MVS/NGPC reviews a lot, and I browse the forum from time to time. I guess I just don't chat all that much, so I never signed up until now.

Kazuya_UK
reelmojo wrote:
First off, Kaz, your sig... how awesome was that? In a cross over between two of the biggest fighting franchises in the world Capcom still couldn't resist making an SNK reference. Seems like a little nod of respect to me. Kind of their way of saying "We might not be crossing over with SNK right now, but they're still cool with us."

Very much so... Smile Here's hoping we will see another crossover title...

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
SteveDave
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/Photo2.jpg
Freaking love it!

One of my all time favorites ever. Purchased a cart only SNK version a while back to truly complete the game. Wish I still had decent live opponents to test my skills against.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

The eccentric cat
Definitely one of my fave games of all time! It reminds me of the Pokemon TCG on the Gameboy Colour. That had some awesome music.

Really need to grab the DS version of Card Fighters, it has some of my fave SNK art!
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Wonderboy
It's hard to believe how few gamers — even the "hardcore" ones — have heard of this title, much less the sequel. That may be due to the language barrier (of the sequel),, but we now have a NGFL member to thank for changing that. I must say I'm a bit star struck seeing you here Flavor; I really am pleased to make your acquaintance. It may be hard to believe CFC could get any better, but Expand Ed., IMO, is actually a better game on every level.

Flavor
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
That may be due to the language barrier (of the sequel),, but we now have a NGFL member to thank for changing that. I must say I'm a bit star struck seeing you here Flavor; I really am pleased to make your acquaintance. It may be hard to believe CFC could get any better, but Expand Ed., IMO, is actually a better game on every level.

Heh Heh. Well, I'm definitely not used to that sort of response. It feels good to be recognized. Hopefully that means people like my work.

It's nice to meet you, too. Sorry that I missed your post before. I'm kinda bad about checking forums. I do respond to email pretty well, though, so if you ever want to chat, that's probably the way to go.

tekkaman
Great game. I play it quite often. It came with my first NGPC. I never played card games before so at first I thought I would hate it. But it started to grow on me. I have the Capcom version. Maybe I'll get the SNK version sometime.

DarakuTenshi
Well since I didn't see this post before but now it's been brought back again... I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to play the 2nd game in English because of Flavor. He was even kind enough to host my http://cardfighte... website for some time now.

Lorfarius
Gets my vote as one of the best, only just pushed aside by Biomotor Unitron!
The worlds best, independent retro gaming magazine:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk

http://pixel-nation.co.uk
bojan4o
thE only car game in real life i have played was yu-gi-oh and on pc you know all those computer games that came out are really good
and then this game which is freaking awesome absolutely addictive and beautiful
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Jump to Forum: