3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: LIFE_IN_2D
Thread ID: 3841
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3889 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Censorship and regional differences in arcade games
LIFE_IN_2D
So. I'm a big fan of the 1991 Komani game "Vendetta". The USA version enables 4P co-op play and is really fun.

Today I actually decided to download the Japanese 2P version called "Crime Fighters 2". Me and my nephew played 2P . Boy is the Japanese version different:

Censored stuff:

* Leather-clad homosexuals that lick and dry hump you. They frolic around, moaning, with limp wrist and lick and dry hump anything in sight ( including lamp posts). If they catch you their sexual assault takes life away.

*The Doberman Pincher dogs in the game also dry hump your leg occasionally. Also when you kick them on the ground they vomit on the floor. Both these strange things were taken out of "Vendetta"

*Blood squirts when stabbing with the knife. The knife makes a slashing sound. Blood AND sound effect were taken out of US version. The knife-wielding villains are also capable of stabbing you on the ground, something they couldn't do in "Vendetta".

Game play

* In certain levels, enemies can be knocked off platforms, elevators or docks – depending on the level. In “Vendetta” the enemies simply fall off when knocked over. In “Crime Fighters 2”, when some enemies are knocked off, they grab onto the ledge and try to pull themselves back on. You can press the kick button to smash their hands, until they fall off-- it’s really quite satisfying.

So, anybody else know of arcade games that were censored or changed? Please do not include censorship or changes that were made due to console porting. I’m only talking about significant arcade regional differences.

Thanks
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 04. March 2012 20:05
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Glowsquid
since you asked on chat:

Violent Storm: The Japanese version gives you an extra life when you reach a certain number of points. That feature is turned off by default in the Western versions, but that can easily be changed in the dips setting.

Metamorphic Force: quoting wikipedia because I'm lazy:

The US version of Metamorphic Force uses a numeric lifepoint counter which constantly takes damage, even when the player isn't being attacked, while the Japanese version uses a traditional health bar.[4] The Fifth Stage in the US version consists of a boss rush where the player fights the previous bosses in pairs before facing the level's own boss, while in the Japanese version the player fights that level boss only.[5] In addition, some sprites have been completely altered, such as the stained glass artwork seen during the elevator scene in the Final Stage.

X-Men: The Japanese versions have health items and make it so that you can use the "mutant powers" (ie: free special attack) without having your health drained. the U.S version remove the health items and reverse the Mutant Power/special attack priority.

The Simpsons: quoting tv tropes because I'm lazy:

Initially released in Japan, it was made a little harder when brought to America after complaints about the game being too easy. For instance, the American version removes a nuclear bomb that instantly ko’s all on-screen mooks. You also can't jump while holding picked-up items in the American version. The American version also removed the "second layer" of the Life Meter you could get by eating food with full health.

R-Type II: The "World" version starts on the "easy" difficulty of the Japanese version and bump to normal on the 2nd loop.

R-Type Leo: World version has instant-respawn, Japan has checkpoints.

TF73
If I remember correctly Primal Rage was withdrawn and re released with fatalities removed.
And I guess every bloody game have had green blood in the past in the US atleast.

NeoStrayCat
Although almost all Arcade games that have like green or whatever blood setting (example: House of the Dead), is just pretty much dip settings anyway and can be changed to red.
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
merlin
Interesting to hear about those differences 2D. I've never tried the Japan version before so was unaware of them.

The King of Dragons

The Japan version is slightly harder than the World version and has some differences:

From an FAQ:

Several features found only in the Japanese arcade version: A green lizard spearman and dark red lizard swordsman, a gold gauntlet treasure worth 800 EXP, a standing triple fireball attack for the Green Dragon, an attack for the Hydra where any of the heads jerk backwards and spit a fast glob at a sharp angle, not all fruit restores 16 health, the order you get upgrades is reversed (armor followed by weaponry), the characters gain max HP at different levels, and a different sound effect is used when a character gains a level, enters a stage or is revived.

Also the final battle against Gildiss is harder since every time he switches position he always chases you with his most powerful fiery breath attack which has to be blocked or dodged.

Warriors of Fate

From an article at Hardcore Gaming 101:

There are some differences between the Japanese release and the international release. The tie-in with Romance of the Three Kingdoms was ditched, with all of the characters losing their Chinese names into Mongolian names. It also had a bunch of dialog and plot scenes that were removed from the international release. When you defeat the final boss in the Japanese version, you are given the option of letting him go, which will give you an ending that is exclusive to that version. There is a scene that was removed from the international version where a woman gives her child to your character and then jumps down a well. The Japanese version also has three more weapons.

http://hardcorega...anese1.png
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

1983parrothead
Ikari Warriors (SNK) - Nazi references were removed in the non-Japanese versions.

Undercover Cops (Irem) - Wikipedia:

The Japanese arcade version differs from the World version in several respects. The characters have a number of moves not seen in the World version, including dash + jump attacks, up to two different kinds of throws, and a powerful airborne special attack. The backgrounds and graphics are also different, especially at the start of Level Two and the end of Level Three. The music in the Japanese version has a more electronic feel and includes more voice samples. Some enemies carry broken bottles, knives and axes (in the World version these are replaced by planks and clubs). The mole creatures are weaker, taking only one hit to kill. Players' jump attacks do less damage, but their wider range of attacks makes them much more versatile.

Rabio Lepus / Rabbit Punch (Video System) - In Rabbit Punch, if you continue after losing every life in any stage of the final area, you'll start back at the very first stage of the final area. In Rabio Lepus, you'll continue where you lost your last life at.

Perfect Soldiers / Superior Soldiers (Irem) - Wikipedia:

Besides the names of several characters, the North American version, Superior Soldiers lacks other things that are seen in the Japanese version, Perfect Soldiers. The Japanese version has an announcer shouting the name of the game at the title screen, as well as names of "who VS. who" at the VS. screens in Engrish. However, the well-known "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen and new color graphics were added to the North American version.

Night Slashers (Data East) - Blood was removed in the NA and World versions.

Kaiser Knuckle / Global Champion / Dan-Ku-Ga (Taito) - Wikipedia:

Global Champion has the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen, the "super moves" were cut, and the portraits of Kazuya, Liza and Lihua were re-drawn. After players choose their characters and their first opponents, first to begin their first fight, players and viewers can see a little sequence that shows the prologue of their chosen character's story. The title screen is also different, but strangely, the letter "K" from both words in the Kaiser Knuckle logo can still be seen in some of Global Champion's backgrounds.

Lavabeast
If I remember correctly in the NES version of Bionic Commando Swastica's were removed from parts of the game and replace with a sort of eagle logo as well.
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

-SD-
Final Fight. I don't think there were any differences between the arcade versions (correct me if I'm wrong), but in the West, Poison and Roxy are supposed to be transvestites.

But the home version were the ones that really suffered. In the SNES and GBA version she's been completely replaced by a male thug. Out of all the classic console ports I've played the Japanese Mega CD is probably the closest to the arcade original.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

priest
Life_in_2d: Interesting threadThumbs Up

I own the uncensored version of Vendetta PCB and the leather gay enemies are really hilarious. This may not benefit the gay comunity but still f*cking hilariousGrin
img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

img339.imageshack.us/img339/6738/1032017122.th.jpg

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
LIFE_IN_2D
Thanks for the contributions guys! Keep them coming.

-SD- wrote:
Final Fight. I don't think there were any differences between the arcade versions (correct me if I'm wrong), but in the West, Poison and Roxy are supposed to be transvestites.

But the home version were the ones that really suffered. In the SNES and GBA version she's been completely replaced by a male thug. Out of all the classic console ports I've played the Japanese Mega CD is probably the closest to the arcade original.

Differences, arcade (JAP) to aracde (USA), are names for certain guys

Thrasher (US) = Damned (JAP)
Katana (US) = Sodom (JAP)

Also the beginning cut scene in the JAP version shows Jessica tied to a chair in her bra, while the US shows her in a red dress.

PS: In the US aracde version, the thug who cries after his car is destroyed says " Oh, my car!" --- while in the JAP version he says "Oh, my God!" . I guess video game blasphemy was just a bit too much, back in 1989.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 06. March 2012 12:45

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoStrayCat
Although all those changes on Final Fight there isn't an arcade thing, its a console thing for the US/NA to be more precise. (Most preferably on the SNES.)

LIFE_IN_2D
The Stray wrote:
Although all those changes on Final Fight there isn't an arcade thing, its a console thing for the US/NA to be more precise. (Most preferably on the SNES.)

Nah, all the one's I listed are changes in the actual arcade game, from region to region.

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

RiKo
LifeIn2D wrote :- * Leather-clad homosexuals that lick and dry hump you. They frolic around, moaning, with limp wrist and lick and dry hump anything in sight ( including lamp posts). If they catch you their sexual assault takes life away.

haha, seriously what's wrong with the Japanese!?

I have read that in the Japanese version of Tomb Raider - Lara can't die (The japanese don't like their videogame icons to die, although apparently being dry-humped is fine). I read that she just gets lifted up by an ethereal light and transported back to where she was before she died.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoStrayCat
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
The Stray wrote:

Nah, all the one's I listed are changes in the actual arcade game, from region to region.

2D, I don't really have to sound like a 2Dick to you, but that censorship isn't on the US Arcade version at all (since I actually played it), only in the console port like the US SNES version, and that's the truth.

LIFE_IN_2D
The Stray wrote:
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
The Stray wrote:

2D, I don't really have to sound like a 2Dick to you, but that censorship isn't on the US Arcade version at all (since I actually played it), only in the console port like the US SNES version, and that's the truth.

You're probably right about the name changes. But for SURE you're wrong about the intro differences. Play the US/WORLD intro again. You're wrong about that.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 07. March 2012 03:25

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoStrayCat
Well, yeah, the only difference is that in one version, she's in her bra, the other is with her dress, but one of them doesn't even have her on screen in the intro, lol.

RiKo
This talk of bras has reminded me that in the Euro/UK version of Tekken 3 when you finish the game as Anna you don't get the bit where Nina pulls Anna's bikini top off but you do in the US/Jap version. That scene is actually worth watching for those dudes who are trying to impress the ladies by dancing, but they dance in the most gay way possible! (Jean Claude Van Damme style)

YouTube Video

It's bizarre they censored this!
Edited by RiKo on 08. March 2012 15:39
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Over at Arcade Otaku jepjepjep has started a CP System regional differences thread similar to the Neo Geo one by Glowsquid. I thought it was a great idea. This thread seems like the appropriate place to mention it. Can anyone here think of any other differences to add to the list?

http://forum.arca...mp;t=23230

LIFE_IN_2D
Nice read, Chode.

Thanks for that!

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
Glad it was of interest 2D. I had no idea there was an extra special move in the Japanese version of The Punisher.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going too. If anyone can think of any regional differences please post them.

Jump to Forum: