Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3838
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2984 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Nintendo 3DS - First Impressions
RiKo
I got my 3DS yesterday. I cant use it for very long because i have MCS, and i always have trouble with new things - particularly electrical items - sucks. But anyway... my first thoughts are that the 3D is really good - but only in certain games. I can see what CandyCab meant about gimmicky now.

I only have Streetfighter 4 at the moment (it was cheap and an impulse buy). It's actaully an amazing conversion in terms of gameplay, feels exactly the same as the 360 version! (during a 10 minute play anyway). But it terms of 3D it is totally gimmicky. With the 3D slider all the way up you get an okay 3D effect but it resembles layered 3D rather than proper 3D mainly because you can now see some of the graphical shortcuts the developers had to make to get this game on 3DS - ie some parts of the back drops are just flat layered polygons rather than full 3D. The character models look nice though.

Even worse, there is a proper 3D mode where you play the game at a 45 degree angle into the screen - looks nice - cos of the 3D but in terms of gameplay it totally sucks. You try jumping and have no good way to gauge the distance between you and your opponent. well admittedly you do - you have the real 3D effect, but its still hard to judge. No doubt you can get used to it - but this camera angle is inferior to the side on view so pointless really. Also even in side-on view the 3D effect is a bit distracting so its better to move the slider to totally 2D. Least i have a really good 2D version of SF4 anyway Grin

I also used the 3D camera to take some pics, but they aren't that high quality really - they look a little blurry, and you don't get the effect where you can view from all angles, you just view it straight on and its 3D from that angle. So yes - good fun, but gimmicky. The manual would have you believe you can take beautiful 3D pics of natural scenes like woodlands but i'm sure thats bullshit.

I'm glad i tried out Mario 3D Land and Pilotwings in the shop cos i know that the 3D is really beneficial in these games. Ironically Mario 3D land is actually more based on the 2D Mario games but the 3D effect really helps you to judge distances much better in 3D situations, and its cool just seeing a 3D world in your hand that you can explore. Even better because you don't need 3D glasses.

Haven't tried anything else yet, - there's quite a lot of pre-installed software you can play around with inc. some games. But i am very pleased with my purchase - console looks really nice and i know i will enjoy the 3D effect in the right games. (Mario is on order and will get some more games when i can play the console for longer.)
Edited by RiKo on 03. March 2012 15:41
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
RiKo
I have Mario 3DS Land now, really really like it (although still can't play it much). The 3D is great in it too. There is a bit of a wow moment on the 2nd level when you walk across a bridge and it rotates round and comes *out* of the screen with Mario on the end of it. Up to that point most of the 3D has been 'into the screen' so it was a bit of a surprise Thumbs Up

I hope i didnt sound too negative in my first impressions, but i do like the system, just being totally honest about how i feel.

I got a system update today that allows you to record 3D video, so will see if that's any good or not soon.

What else? actually got quite excited when i found you could download Gameboy and NES games. Playing Gameboy games on a proper backlit screen really appeals to me, but then you have to pay for them 2 - 4. Obviously i am paying for games i already own, but hey. I do want Marioland and original Tetris (the best and hardest version!)

YouTube Video

candycab
Cool... Glad to see you are enjoying your DS Smile

I like the technology but I think the DS is uncomfortable to use and the screen has always been too small in regards to the overall size. I guess you could get used to ergonomics after using one for a while though.
The problem I see with the 3D is any shift of your field of vision and its a jumbled flickering mess that literally hurts to look at.

It will be interesting to see where this technology goes in the future Smile

Speaking of 3D I did pick up a new toy Smile

Grabbed one of these to replace my X1-A in the bedroom nothing special really but it does look good @70' and does stereoscopic 3D well from any moderately powered PC with an Nvidia based graphics card. However @ 120Hrz it wont support PS3 etc [PS3/BDR/360 output is 600Hrz I believe] without a converter but with DLP Link it deos a fantastic job running movies on the fly via a stereoscopic player out of my PC. I was actually shocked at how good it really is.

http://www.amazon...mp;sr=8-17

I have also decided to replace my Optoma HD72 720P PJ that is primarilly used for mvies @ 96' but Im not sure what I am buying yet.

I am seriously considering Two mid level quality 720P PJ's ran together with a slight frame off set for 3D playback via the same technique as Real 3D and Imax are currently using to get Polarized 3D instead of having to use shutter glasses. So for a bit less or about the same cost as a decent 1080P non 3D PJ I can have a very nice quality Polarized 3D experience at home that anyone can watch comfortablly with none of the hassles or expense that come with shutter glasses.
Edited by candycab on 09. March 2012 15:52
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Thanks Candy Thumbs Up I think the 3DS screen is bigger than the DS but i will have to check by putting them side by side. Yes you do have to get used to keeping your head still. I found that fine with Mario but with StreetFighter it wasnt easy, so def play that in 2D. i really want Sega to releasse Space Harrier in 3D at the moment...

wow you have a very nice 3D system Candycab. i would just be happy with a projector! That sounds great having 3D without the glasses, although maybe it would spoil the novelty of seeing 3D films at the cinema? haha. I want to go see this next in 3D. trailer is good anyway. bet you are popular with your home cinema!

YouTube Video

I tried the video recording out on the 3DS yesterday on one of my friends. It was actually freaky seeing her head pop out of the screen, and i did get her to say 'Obi-wan you are my only hope' (Seriously! i am sad). In static shots on the camera the colours seem a bit washed out (though i havent actually changed any of the settings yet so maybe thats why) but in video it works really well. a bit like when you freeze a youtube video - it can look a bit crap but in motion its great. So a thumbs up for the 3D video recording from me Thumbs Up

candycab
That movie looks bad ass Smile

I don't have a dedicated theater but if I ever get around to building a house I will Smile However the living room is laid out to get the most out of my components instead of aesthetics etc.

lol I found something less comfortable to game with than a DS. My Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Just picked up since they are now one of the free phones AT&T offers. Plays games well but its going to take a lot of getting used too before it feels OK to hold. Projectors are a lot of fun and these days the bang for your buck has never been better.

Even the most entry level models like the IN112 can offer a great experience for those on a budget, especially if you are new to PJ ownership. Most people who buy one forget TV sets even exist Grin

I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Candy wrote :- lol I found something less comfortable to game with than a DS. My Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Just picked up since they are now one of the free phones AT&T offers. Plays games well but its going to take a lot of getting used too before it feels OK to hold. Projectors are a lot of fun and these days the bang for your buck has never been better.

thats a shame, i think that incorporating proper game controls into phones could be the way to go, since so much gaming is done on phones now anyway. You'd think game manufacturers would be able to make something comfortable to use. I'm pretty sure i have the worst phone out of everyone here - it can barely even take photos! great for making calls and thats about it. also i dont really like to be contactable when i am out so its off about 98% of the time too.

itm.siol.net/_m/media/Samsung/1258/E2100B_large_33438.jpg

One of my friends actually has a worse phone than this, he just wanted a really tiny phone, but it came at a cost -it's sh*t

thats weird i was going on about Space Harrer cos i just watched the trailer for Kid Icarus on 3DS which does have some similarities - the on-rails shooting parts. I will get that at some point, trouble is games are quite expensive on 3DS still, even second hand. so will have to wait for a while
Edited by RiKo on 09. March 2012 17:02

candycab
Yeah I noticed right away how much the 3DS games were and it just seems too high. But then most PS3/360 games are way overpriced at $60.00. Lately for me there are enough games I have yet to play through so I can easily wait for price drops. Probably not really possible with the 3DS just yet being rather new and all.

The main issue with the Xperia Play is its really thin and very angular where you need to hold it. It feels like you are going to drop it because you cant really grip the entire phone so maniupulating the Dpad and shoulder buttons feels really weird. The analog discs are so sensitive its a cruel joke Shock The rest of it works as well as any other phone in its class for the most part. As for making actual calls go I think non "Smart" phones like my 3rd generation Razor do a much better job, more often than not simplicity rules the roost Smile

I'm like you, I tend to be purposely unavailable while I'm out, not that I get a lot of calls or anything Smile I agree that there should be more phones like this one with real controls for gaming, touch screen and motion controls are one of the worst things to happen in gaming imho. Covering half the screen with my hand/finger to move something while trying to hold onto a phone or tablet along with moving the entire display really adds nothing positive to the gaming experience in anything I have ever used them in, its just a stop gap that became routine I think.

Sometimes you gotta wonder if game developers actually play games when they make decisions that ruin an otherwise decent game. Shrug In all honesty I wont be wearing out the controller on the Xperia Play any time soon as most phone games are not worth the effort but It will definitely be running a few Emus here and there. I do like it more than I thought I would but I have always been a gadget sort of guy. It will get lots of random usage around the house. No cell coverage at home since I live in between a few mountains in the boonies but Wifi works great for most functions and Opera Mobile runs well enough to sit out side and surf. I did buy a 7' tablet a while back for general usage in and out of the house but its Froyo where the Xperia is Gingerbread which makes it a bit smoother overall.

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Candycab wrote :- The main issue with the Xperia Play is its really thin and very angular where you need to hold it. It feels like you are going to drop it because you cant really grip the entire phone so maniupulating the Dpad and shoulder buttons feels really weird. The analog discs are so sensitive its a cruel joke Shock

not sure how they can fix that problem, because phones have to be slim to look stylish and to be compact, unless they have something that can expand in some way.

maybe one that looks like this would be good LOL

www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Nokia-N-Gage.gif

I'm with you on the touch controls, Sony seem to be partly selling Vita on the strength of its touch controls, but i dont find that feature exciting in any way. I think buttons offer more precision. Touch controls are good only in some games imo. I do think they are good for getting casual people into gaming. Maybe some of the people who start on touchscreen games on their phone then later buy a PS3 or 360. i hope so cos i dont want traditional gaming to die.

I think i heard you can get Crash Bandicoot on Xperia, i would def get that, really like that game.

candycab
Yeah being a phone I dont see how they could get around compromising in terms of its size vs function. Otherwise it would probably be shaped like a Dual Shock in some way Grin I briefly held an N-Guage AKA Taco Phone way back when they came out and from what little I remember I would say its definitely worse ergonomically at least the phone part of it anyway. I actually know someone who bought that thing on release, its one of those things we can all laugh about now Wink The Xp is sort of weird having to use Two fingers to support the it kind of like an easel holding up a painting.

Crash actually comes as a pack-in game. It plays exactly like the original and the PSN release in every way. Sony really shot themselves in the foot with this phone since they have pulled all support for it and aren't following through with what was for many the strongest selling point. PS1 game support. Gotta wonder how many XP'x actually sold on launch.

A grand total of Five games were released of which I think Two made it to the U.S. but aren't optimized in any way to use the XP hardware so they are touchscreen control only. So far I havent found too many games that actually make use of the XP controls as it looks like they have to be written into the game code, even most of the "Optimized for Xperia Play" games on the Google market don't use the controls in any way.

Kind of makes the whole thing pointless since the hardware was far from cutting edge when it hit the market. Still its an OK base to start with for Emu's etc and from what I have been reading, rooting this phone gives it a very big jump in performance. Lots of firmware modding going on with at least 4 separate home brew Rom builds that are rock solid with more on the way.

Sony just never ceases to amaze me with the frequency they blatantly screw over consumers with out a care in the world. Of course they have been doing it since the 80's with their electronics considering even their high end electronics routinely use/used very cheaply built run of the mill parts stuffed in a pretty package and sold at a price no one would pay if they knew what they were really buying.

In most cases you really can buy better quality for less since Sony likes to sort of band aid cheaper internal components together in favor of profit to get the same result another manufacturer would out of fewer, better designed, higher quality, and slightly higher priced parts and still make a good profit. But you know people see the name and will gladly pay more which is kind of sad and funny at the same time when you consider anyone who works on electronics or in the electronics industry at a building or fixing level will freely tell you what is crap and what isn't.

That aside whats always annoyed me is how they always guarntee you will spend more money on their products by using proprietary Sony only item touteded as "better" or "smarter" etc Technology like the "Memory Stick" or the "mini Disc" and whatever they are calling the compact flash cards they use in the Vita. Heh its like buying a video cable in a retail store, works the same you just get to pay more :-)

Anyway my phone came with the following installed games which open in their own scrolable menu when you slide the control pad out [only games with full XP support do this] Asphalt 6, Dungeon Defenders Second Wave { much like Angry Turds I really dont see what the big deal is with this or the first game } Evac HD, Madden NFL 11, Star Battalion and Sims 3. Last year I read the Verison XP came with 11 games installed but anything is better than nothing even if I do only have interest in One or Two of them :-)

Crash Bandicoot oddly enough has full compatibility but only shows up burried among every other app on the 3rd Android screen. If you didnt know it was there it would be really easy to miss.

There is a small Playstation symbol on the bottom left of the control panel but no mention of anything PS related anywhere else on the phone physical or electronic. Guess they want Crash to vanish along with the whole Playstation certified thing.

UPDATE
So today while digging around on the phone I find an app I somehow missed before called "Playstation Pocket" Upon launching it I get a left to scrolling interface with the original PSP wave background and Crash Bandicoot in a center box. Apparently this is where you can actually buy PS1 and launch the games in a fancy manner.

Hit the link to buy more titles and you get the opportunity to buy the following games for $5.99 each.

Cool Borders 2
Destruction Derby
Hot Shots Golf 2
Jet Moto
Jumping Flash
Medievil
Rally Cross
Syphon Filter
Wild Arms
Wipeout

Cool that they are actually offering these up but honestly these games were a pretty sad offering on PSN given the huge library of games released on the PSX. I think its obvious at this point Sony isn't at all serious about the PSX/PS2 releases on any platform Smile
Edited by candycab on 12. March 2012 23:49

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

hitorkori
been playing alot of resident evil mercenries on it nice got it for under a tenner too! revelations is knocking about for 25 used too mmmmmmm + Doa demo up now too its impressive for a fighter

still got love for mario kart & mario land 3d tooSmile

RiKo
Candy wrote:- Sony likes to sort of band aid cheaper internal components together in favor of profit to get the same result another manufacturer would out of fewer, better designed, higher quality, and slightly higher priced parts

yes i know so many people who buy Sony products just because of the name, without even checking reviews! they do have a good reputation whether justified or not.

Cool Borders 2
Destruction Derby
Hot Shots Golf 2
Jet Moto
Jumping Flash
Medievil
Rally Cross
Syphon Filter
Wild Arms
Wipeout

The only thing i am not sure about is because these are Playstation games, they must run at a slightly dodgy framerate in most cases - e.g Destruction Derby.. I'm not sure people would put up with that these days. Shame they arent really supporting it like they should. Also should be Wipeout 2094 not the original Smile

hikitori wrote :- been playing alot of resident evil mercenries on it nice got it for under a tenner too! revelations is knocking about for 25 used too mmmmmmm + Doa demo up now too its impressive for a fighter

still got love for mario kart & mario land 3d tooSmile

I am interested in Resi Evil, what did you think of revelations? i did hear there are demos you can play - they let you play them 30 times or something. well thats enough for me, must try out the demo of resi Evil to see if i like it. Definitely want Mario Kart at some point. Keep reading reviews which say its the best version for ages. Although i'm never sure if i can stomach Mario Kart since i overdosed on the SNES original haha, i played on the Wi one the other day at a friends house and didnt think much of it. Maybe with it in 3D i will enjoy it again Smile
Edited by RiKo on 15. March 2012 21:14

Jump to Forum: