Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: -SD-
Thread ID: 3832
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5406 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
English Aero Fighters 3 Home Cart
-SD-
So TonK's big secret is....

img141.imageshack.us/img141/7089/f1c6c0d8.jpg

The discovery of three English AES copies of Aero Fighters 3, making this the rarest English Home Cart!

The story behind the find is in this thread over on N-G.com.

Now while this isn't the most exciting news in the world for me personally, the fact that this contact used to work for SNK is. I'm hoping that there'll be a lot more to be revealed over the coming months.

EDIT: The story has already hit Kotaku.
Edited by -SD- on 29. February 2012 00:59
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Murikov
With excitement I have been waiting for Tonk's mystery to be solved, but now as it is revealed I'm quite unimpressed by the result.

Because of the hype the thread created in advance, I was expecting some kind of an obscure Proto or Hardware release, although chances were quite small that a new Proto or unreleased console would see the light of the day nowadays.

At least the story with the former SNK employee was quite worthwhile, I wish I'd find one day a storage full of obscure Neo Geo games too. Wink

On the other hand we must consider that this has been one of the most expensive deals in video game history! 30,000$!
Edited by Murikov on 29. February 2012 21:15
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

-SD-
Yeah, I was quite disappointed considering all the hype that was generated. Hopefully future events will make up for this somewhat.

To be honest, I'd have been more excited if he'd found a complete Aero Fighters Pocket prototype for the NGPC Terry

STE C
Blah not that MOTW2 beta I was looking forward to. Still interesting stuff but shame its a pretty average shooter.

merlin
Nice find but I'm also a bit disappointed. Certainly a lot less interesting than another proto
being found. The Japanese AES version is still more desirable if you ask me with it's nicer
looking insert.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NEO-GEO man
That looks like a NEO-GEO Freak US release!!

Look at the little blue star and what it means, then look on the list...

http://www.neogeo..._guide.htm

-SD-
And now this same source has come up with Power Spikes II in both European and Dog Tag style packaging.

However, all this has caused a drama overload on N-G.com resulting in TonK's suspension along the way. Aside from that, I'm really not sure to make of these carts that his source keeps pulling out.

img152.imageshack.us/img152/4450/d49414cd.jpg
img407.imageshack.us/img407/1245/776597858f50ec.jpg
Edited by -SD- on 14. June 2012 00:39

NEO-GEO man
Yeah i followed this one too SD, and i must say, you have a good look at the cart sticker from the front... The GEO is right down over that edge, and i have NEVER seen this on any AES cart that was a real factory one.

I dont know mate, i think its fine to claim them as real, they may even be real, but why would any one in their right mind pay 10s of thousands?? That is lunacy, and someone is making an enormous amount of money...

Ill go to abit over $1,000 AUD for a good AES game, but ill never pay that for a shit one, which this most certainly is.

As for Aero Fighters 3, love it, great game, but Strikers 1945 PLUS blows it away, so on that note, either Strikers should be worth more, or Aero Fighters 3 should cost less....

Im after AF2 and 3 if anyone has them for sale, i do have a spare Strikers 1945 PLUS for AES to sell too, if anyone wants to buy it i am happy to trade other AES games for it, at fair market value.

-SD-
Well it looks like TonK is back. He's also confirmed that there's other stuff coming, but no more undiscovered Home Carts. Interesting.....

Beard

DarakuTenshi
Is Tonk the new NGF? Or is this legit?

Murikov
DarakuTenshi wrote:
Is Tonk the new NGF? Or is this legit?

That's one hell of a good question, it's a really hard case to judge.

On the one hand he was responsible or at least jointly responsible for important community releases like certain roms (Ghostlop, BBB or ToTC) or other goodies like the official development manual. But on the other hand his story behind Aero Fighters 3 and Power Spikes 2 (which is NOT such a bad game imho) is not credible so far. At least not so credible that I would spend over 30k$ on that stuff...
Edited by Murikov on 14. June 2012 16:19

NEO-GEO man
Murikov wrote:Power Spikes 2 (which is NOT such a bad game imho) ...

Hahahaha!! Now come on Murikov, dont kid yourself here mate!! Wink

DarakuTenshi
I'm with you Neo-Geo Man.

NEO-GEO man
Cheers mate Wink

Murikov
NEO-GEO man wrote:

Lol, I was indeed not joking, mate. Wink

I still persist in my opinion that the game deserves a second chance, especially when playing it in VS mode and World / Classic mode. The graphical and musical presentation may be both beneath contempt, but if the (admittedly inconvenient) controls are learnt properly, PS2 can be more fun than one thinks.

Up to today I think that 'Legend of Suckass Joe' holds the title as worst Neo Geo game ever. I can't imagine how LoSJ could be any better than PS2...
Edited by Murikov on 15. June 2012 14:48

NEO-GEO man
Murikov wrote:
NEO-GEO man wrote:

PS2 can be more fun than one thinks....

It couldnt be much less fun either!! Hahaha!! I had 2 MVS carts of it which i did try a few times to get into it, and just couldnt seem to find anything good about it. The one thing i found great about it was it went quick as a flash on ebay and brought in a fair amount of cash too!! Smile

-SD-
Well it turns out that the whole thing was a scam. There's quite a few threads on the go over on N-G.com, but it seems the general consensus is that the Aero Fighters 3 and Power Spikes II carts are fakes.

It would also appear that the next 'discovery' was going to be 24 English copies of King of Fighters 2000 (the supposed real, non-NGF version), followed by two copies of something else that didn't get an English release.

The guy behind it all is DavidG, the guy who made the Daedalus MVS-AES converter. He's also the person that's supplying NG:DevTeam with all their NOS snap-lock cases and cart shells....

The whole thing is a complete mess.

And in a strange turn of events, Shawn and NGF have sorted things out and Dion's back.....
Edited by -SD- on 08. August 2012 00:25

Kazuya_UK
I missed everything when this story first broke, but I happened to go over to neo-geo.com for the first time in ages and saw some stuff about this... don't really know much about what happened but it seems a mess indeed! :/

Slightly confused about the NGF thing. Never dealt with them but know the whole story... so what actually happened recently that Shawn is ok with them now?

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
NEO-GEO man
Yes, it sure is a big mess isnt it... But when i look at that PS2 cart sticker, i just dont get a good feeling.

From what i read Kaz, and i didnt read it all, but from what i could gather, NGF had proof of everything they said, and it was contradictory to what the other party said, so for the want of a better word, the 2 from NGF went in to bat for Shawn so to speak, and backed his side of the arguement with some pretty firm evidence.

DarakuTenshi
-SD- wrote:
And in a strange turn of events, Shawn and NGF have sorted things out and Dion's back.....

Shock Is it April? I vary rarely visit NG.com anymore but... wow this is a big surprise.

Jump to Forum: