Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: phipscube
Thread ID: 3827
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3832 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Old timer Neo Fan here
phipscube
Hi All,

I'm an English guy living in Denmark, originally from Hull in UK.

I first encountered the awesomeness of the Neo Geo back in 1990 when a 4 slot MVS (USA) Red cab appeared in my local arcade (it was calledSun Spot). The first game I played was Magician Lord and it blew me away. There was also Baseball Stars Professional, Top Players Golf and Nam 1975 on the machine. Not only the Graphics, but the sound and voices in these games left me awestruck.

Soon after I noticed the Home system in magazines such as A.C.E (awesome mag) and since then i've dreamt of owning a home machine. Not quite sure why it took 21 years to finally make the move, but I did last May and have been collecting some of the first and second wave of games released. I've played alot of Neo through emulation, but there is nothing like owning the real machine. I've since modded it a little with UniBIOS and a few other bits n' bobs (see sig).

I was also given a NGPC last October with a few games which i'm enjoying too.

Now i'm getting hooked and am considering MVS and CD machines!

Anyway, I was at a retrogaming event this weekend here in Denmark (SSKT8) and one of the guys there is a member here (He's TLO) and recommended the place. I've been a member over on neo-geo.com for a few months and am also a regular over on Amibay. I love the Amiga too Smile

Cheers!
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Jhih-8aLAU4/T0tV9E8_5uI/AAAAAAAACNU/3K-f2lmXFTk/s504/Gigapower.jpg

Neo Geo AES:- USA Rev 1, UniBIOS 3.0, Overclock Switch, BIOS Switch, Power LED, RGBS Output Filter Mod, Rear Stereo, S-Video Out, Higher Rubber Feet and all Electrolytics replaced. Powered by a 3rd party 5V 5A PSU.

merlin
Welcome phipscube. Thanks for telling us a bit about your Neo Geo history. Hope you enjoy the forum here. Smile

What are your favourite Neo Geo games so far?

I'm a big fan of the CD system myself and definitely recommend getting one. Great arranged
soundtracks, CD exclusive titles and bonus content too.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

phipscube
Thanks Merlin Smile

I like lots of Neo Games, but my faves are Magician Lord, Last Resort, Alpha Mission 2, Metal Slug and Shock Troopers. I'm not the best at fighting games but really like King of Fighters '98 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

I'd like to own a front loader CD machine at some point, I know its big but I really like the design. Smile
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Jhih-8aLAU4/T0tV9E8_5uI/AAAAAAAACNU/3K-f2lmXFTk/s504/Gigapower.jpg

Neo Geo AES:- USA Rev 1, UniBIOS 3.0, Overclock Switch, BIOS Switch, Power LED, RGBS Output Filter Mod, Rear Stereo, S-Video Out, Higher Rubber Feet and all Electrolytics replaced. Powered by a 3rd party 5V 5A PSU.

juggernaut7500
Hi mate.
Thanks for the coolest weekend ever! Anyways.. Welcome to the forums Smile

See ya Les.

www.sskt.dk
priest
Hi Phipscube and welcome to NGFL. Im using that sig of yours at another forum to spread the joy of NEO GEO AESSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
phipscube
Hey Brian! yeah, it was pure awesome! had great fun with all you guys. Thanks again for giving me AoF2!! And now i've played Goal! Goal! Goal! in the competition, I am on the lookout for it (even though I wasn't that good at it Grin )

Hi priest, thanks Smile yeah I saw that sig over on neo-geo.com and thought it looked great!

Murikov
Hey Phips and welcome on board, I remember reading your nick somewhere at NG.com. Thumbs Up

Great to see another AES fanatic here! The whole AES collecting stuff might not be the cheapest way to enjoy our beloved system, but it sure feels great to finally own the real deal!

And Last Resort, Shock Troopers 1 and Metal Slug 1 are some of my all-time faves as well, there's nothing better to boot up these titles and have a good blast with 'em! These games never get boring, no matter how many times you already played them. Interested in participating in our High Score Challenges for these games? We are glad for all new entries and players who breathe new life into these threads.

Hope you stick around, the Sunday evening chat (at which I participate rarely, unfortunately) is a great way to get into this community!
Edited by Murikov on 27. February 2012 23:09
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

TLO
Hey Les great you joined the forum, NGFL is a great forum for all things Neo! maybe also check out the High score thread Smile

neros
Hey!

neros here. Thanks for a superb retro weekend with lots of Neo Geo gaming !

Great you joined us here mate Wink
Edited by neros on 28. February 2012 11:35
img832.imageshack.us/img832/9499/nerosgeo.jpg

www.ipaint.dk
neogeoeno
welcome to the coolest gaming site Flowers im very happy to hear you are 1990 neo-geo fan

phipscube
Wow! What a warm welcome! Cheers guys Smile I will check out the high scores section for sure. I'm not as good as I used to be in my "prime" (probably a good 10 years ago then!) what with having little time for playing (family-kids-job etc), but i'll try and give some games a crack Smile I'm looking for Last Resort on AES and ST on MVS of course. I would love MS1 on AES but alas I think my wife would kill me, so that will be an MVS title too unless a miracle happens and some dude finds a warehouse full of NOS MS1 AES Grin

priest
Phips: You know that the important thing is to participate, not to win...Yea rightWink But thats what we tell the young ones, right?

EDIT:...And yea, welcome to the HSC.
Edited by priest on 28. February 2012 22:39

phipscube
Aye priest, I just don't like loosing Grin Well i've had a look at some of the hi scores and they are pretty damn awesome! Funny thing is I feel complled to give some a crack, even if I only manage 4th or 5th or something. As I was talking with the guys over the weekend and even though I was really very very drunk, the hi scores part of this forum was the bit I remember thinking was a really great idea, it makes playing more fun. One thing that I don't like is that hi scores aren't kept when power is turned off, but here there is a record!

priest
fourth or fifth place isnt that bad and then you take it from there...Smile

crazygermn
welcome to NGFl man! if you get a chance try some of the NGPC games on an emulator.

LIFE_IN_2D
It's late, but... welcome to the the site.

Hope you stick around. Good to have another member who got to see the Neo in its golden years.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

STE C
Originally from Hull and living in Denmark, talk about a change dude. Welcome to the site Old Timer ( a few of us on here sadly are getting on in years).

phipscube
Thanks again guys Smile

Well I gave ASO II a crack tonight and posted in the thread Smile

Hull to Denmark... yeah, BIG change! I met a Danish lass in Hull and she dragged me out of that place Wink Been here 9 years now and all I can say is its the most awesome Country! DK ROOOKKZZ!Headbang

RiKo
Welcome phipscube Smile I like your avatar - Ant II? Alpha Mission II is currently in my Neo Geo's slot i think it will be a while before i post a new score cos not getting much time to play at moment. Glad you are entering the HSC - we need more people for that game Smile

I remember ACE, i had a few issues of that. I remember the Zarch/Virus cover especially. It said something like 'one day all games will look like this (ie in 3D)' and it was right . when the Neo Geo came out was kind of amazing to see and hear about it because it was the Arcade in your home, also the prices of the games just made it seem mythical, rather than something you could ever actually own. NAM-1975 was the game that stood out for me in screenshots - i so wanted that game!

Hope to see you about the forums Thumbs Up
Edited by RiKo on 01. March 2012 21:51
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
phipscube
Cheers RiKo Smile

My avatar is the end of level 1 boss on ASO II. I wasn't sure what it was called, but according to the manual its NUKE-II Starship. I think its such an awesome bunch of pixels.

For me ASO II is a game I first saw in 1991 at a seaside place called Scarborough (North-East coast of UK). I was seriously BLOWN away by the scaling on level 2 (when the parts of the mothership come away) during attract mode and I pumped so many 10p's into that 4 slotter for about an hour to try and get to level 2 to see more! I managed (Just) then ran out of money. But that one moment lasts with me. Thats why ASO II holds a soft spot in my all time faves on Neo. Not many other folks like it, and it is a bit lame compared to the better Neo shooters, but for me this game was an early standout.

I liked A.C.E because it was unbiased and usually got scoops on the latest hardware. I remember first seeing the Amiga CDTV in there too (I still have my original CDTV). And whilst mags like C&VG slated everything Neo Geo just because the carts cost shed loads A.C.E. wasn't critical, another good mag was RAZE.

Anyway mate, you need to check your back on ASO II and be prepared to find some playtime... i'm closing in Wink

Jump to Forum: