Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3804
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1618 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What Good Games are there for the 3DS?
RiKo
well the Sony Vita seems to be out or almost out. To me it isnt very exciting - Wipeout 2048 and an Uncharted game. Good games for sure but not exciting enough to buy a new console for. Its just an enhanced PSP at the moment. These are the sort of games i would rather play on my TV on a proper console. What do other people think about the Vita?

I am actually thinking about buying a 3DS, for a start it is in 3D, so that makes it a bit exciting. different to what we have already. I quite like the look of the new Mario game. but what other good games are ther for it? are there any?

the reason i wasnt that excited by the 3DS before was the same reasons the Vita really - Zelda, Mario Kart etc - the frickin' same games we have been playing for years! Also there were no third party developers much but they seem to actually be coming on board now.

thoughts on the vita and 3DS please? Smile

oh and i do still want a PSP with Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts at some point, just got too confused by all thedifferences in quality of screens between PSP models, i dont know which one is good!
Edited by RiKo on 13. February 2012 18:00
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
candycab
Not much help with game choices but happy to give my 2 cents on Vita

I think the Vita is a complete waste of $300.00 as well as overpriced Finger I really doubt it will get any games that are even remotely different than any current console games or games released in the near future.

All I see in its future is stripped down PS3 games or spin offs of current franchises like the PSP got. How may times can we play the same game with new coat of paint ? Thanks but no thanks Sony Thumbs Down

Always wanted to use this Finger in a thread Grin

Then again I'm not the key demographic for it either in that I don't really need or want a handheld. I had a PSP slim with 32megs of ram and a boat load of games for a couple of years which I sent off to my brother after I got bored with it.

The PSP is a very good all around gadget that is really good as a multimedia toy and for the money you can't go wrong with its current game library either. I bought a 3DS for my girl friends 10 year old son [ He's always had a DS ] and he loves it. I like the technology but find the DS one of the most uncomfortable handheld's I have ever used and just not up to par in any capacity next to the PSP so its not really for me either.

Quite honestly Nintendo doesn't make a product today that I would buy for my self and looking at their new console I don't think that will change any time soon.

I haven't seen any games for the 3DS that look like they utilize the technology to standout from other games in a real game changing sort of way, seems kind of gimmicky right now which is expected being new and all. Zelda does work extremely well but its still just the same old thing after you get used to the 3D.

Anyway for $300.00 I would buy another PS3 and run GT5 on dual monitors before I bought a Vita Smile For $199.00 I would have seriously considered it but that's probably still too much to charge for what I would get out of it considering the PSP already does that in spades.

Perfect portable for me is the PS3 Slim and the 11' Hori LCD that fits it like a glove. Of course it was Japan only and expensive at about $250.00 for the LCD but it was cool as hell.
Edited by candycab on 14. February 2012 11:21
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
I think the Vita is a complete waste of $300.00 as well as overpriced Finger I really doubt it will get any games that are even remotely different than any current console games or games released in the near future.

All I see in its future is stripped down PS3 games or spin offs of current franchises like the PSP got. How may times can we play the same game with new coat of paint ? Thanks but no thanks Sony

haha yes that's a lot like my thoughts. i didnt actually know the price but wow, who would pay that for it? what does annoy me a little is that they have put a second analogue stick on it. Whilst this is a good thing - why on earth didnt they put one on the PSP!!? that's been getting PS2 ports but with inferior control for most of it's lifespan.

i bought a normal DS for my mother a few years ago, and i have played a few games on it myself. She only really liked Brain Training and Soul Bubbles and Sudoku haha. It looked like she was having a work out session when she was playing Soul Bubbles - the effort she put into moving the stylus across the screen. Myself i liked Brain training too for a while and also Scribblenauts was quite cool.

i am quite intigued by the 3DS bvecause of the 3D but not that bothered about Zelda. On a handheld i prefer the quick-go games. I saw a preview the other day.for a new Kid Icarus shoot-em-up which looked like it might be good. I think it was Kid Icarus anyway - will have to check.

i wonder if handhelds are a little in trouble now because of games on phones.? The DS had quite a large casual audience and i wonder if phones have now taken that away. I think people would in general rather just take one device out with them.

Wonderboy
From where I'm coming, as a casual gamer, it just seems unnecessary, dare I say pointless, to buy a handheld period when I have an iPad. At this point, there are so many games available, I believe Apple isn't even sure what the definite total is (about a dozen new games being released daily, and this will go on for many more years)! It is in the tens of thousands now, I speculate. Many of these games are brilliant originals, ports of PS3/360/PC releases or clones of games across the board. The Onlive APP is a subscription service that lets you "rent" and play many new PC, PS3 & 360 games through iPad (cloud gaming). On top of that, factor in a dozen retro emulators (downloadable through the APP Store and Cydia) and you got another 6,000 or so retro games that can be played. With all that said, you can see how the casual gamer would think it's a waste of money buying similar, yet "branded" games/handhelds (Nintendo or Sony). Revolutionary is creating a reasonably big screen that is also handheld. "3-D" is just a gimmick, IMO, but designers are already implementing that feature in some iPhone/iPad games now, for those who like it. IMO the iPad, not the iPhone, is the video game handheld's downfall; it doesn't just play games, but is a device of trusted and familiar media software. It is designed unlike anything before it, and will be copied for many years to come.
Edited by Wonderboy on 14. February 2012 18:10

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
candycab
From what I can see it seems that most people who are "non casual" gamers consider the Ipads, pods and android phones a simple toy instead of a serious gaming platform, I have to agree as the controls are a joke and the games very shallow overall. I doubt most users who are big on those platforms have any real desire to own an actual portable game device so the comparison is kind of moot really as they are Two completely separate markets.

Kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo, they are similar in what they do on a basic level [moving people] but offer completely different experiences while doing it with one being more focused on its task than the other. I think the phone and tablet market has a long way to go to bridge the gap between their current offerings and dedicated gaming hardware for most "non casual" gamers.
Edited by candycab on 15. February 2012 01:25
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Glowsquid
What Good Games are there for the 3DS

uuuuuhhhh Ace Combat and that Ghost Recon game by the creator of X-Com looks good.

I was initially really excited about the Vita but then the bullshit memory card pricing, lame UMD transfer plan (which will probably never be avalaible outside of Japan anyway) ect killed my personal hype. That being said, the Western launch library is looking pretty good and I look foward to a price drop hurr hurr.

candycab
I was rather surprised at the volume of games for Vita launch on PSN.
Nothing at all stood out as a must own game though, I would opt for the Katamari game but pass on the rest of what I have seen so far. I have to say though the new screen looks nice the whole device being a bit larger than the PSP doesn't appeal to me.

I would rather have the slim PSP dimensions with a better quality screen than a larger body and screen. I always felt the PSP was on the verge of being too large overall when it comes to something I would want to carry around with me.

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
I finally went into Toys R US today and played on a 3DS! was actually really impressed with the 3D effect, and the graphics are quite good too - i mean there's lots going on and there didnt seem to be any draw-distance problems -you could see lots of stuff going on in the distance. The actual screens seemed bigger than the normal DS too.

I played Mario Land and Pilot Wings, and enjoyed both of them. This wouldnt be a console i would be spending a huge amount of time on, and these games seem ideal for a quick go mentality. Mario Land reminded me a bit of Bug that old Sega Saturn game haha - it has similar looking paths.

I would definitely buy one of these for £99 which seems to be the cheapest price on the net. Only problem is the games - how much they cost. i would probably buy Mario Land and Streetfighter 4 first (would be great to play SF4 online in a coffee shop, although it doesnt really need to be in proper 3D, the 3D effect might be distracting actually). Also i would get some kind of flying game for it.

I suppose the 3D effect is used as a gimmick in many games, but i would say in Pilot Wings - it definitely improves the gameplay, gives you a much better awareness of the space you are flying around in. I guess one day all games we call 3D now will be in proper 3D.

Still not a big fan of the stylus - with both games i played i didnt go anywhere near the stylus.
Edited by RiKo on 26. February 2012 18:20

Jump to Forum: