Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3796
Thread Info
There are 46 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8886 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Any Sega Saturn players here?
NEO-GEO man
Hi everyone, ive been hitting the Sega Saturn pretty hard lately and there seems to be a real lack of forums around for it.

Does anyone here play or like the Saturn??

If so, what games do you like or play?

I have Virtua Racing coming in soon, ive been spending most of my days and nights playing Sega Rally Championship, brings back memories from when i bought it brand new and spent days at a time trying to get into the next bracket 1 second lower on the championship mode, im now down into the mid to high 3'18"XX using the Arcade Racer wheel.

I did have everything complete on Daytona USA as well and some great times done but didnt transfer them over to the cart cause i thought this console had a new battery in it, but it was the other one i put the new battery in and i sold it after i put the 50/60Hz switch on it ( cause i had 4 saturns and tons of pads and guns!! ) So im back to almost square one with that.

I do have Manx TT and Sega Touring Car, but playing them with the wheel doesnt feel right... Maybe its just me, i havent tried with the analog pad yet.

I have never played Nights, but im looking forward to weaning myself off Sega Rally soon and getting into that.

I spent a few nights on Bug! and got half way through Reptilia, i remember when i had this game when it first came out, after about 3 weeks i was up to the dreaded bubbles that so many people apparently have issues with!!

Ive been trying to find Rayman and Gex for the Saturn cause they are definately the best versions, i have Gex on 3DO but i have played the Saturn version and its clearly better, as is Rayman over the PSone version.

Also got a few "Virtua" games, Cop 1 and 2, Fighter 1 and 2, and looking at getting a Japan Remix and Japan VF2 just to compare since the PAL versions are optimised, and also have the Japan version Daytona CE, which is quite alot better than the US and Euro version called Daytona CCE...

STE C
Sure is I for one love the Saturn and I know of a few others on this site who do too, Ninja for instance has a Saturn collection to die for. Great console for 90s arcade conversions Sega/SNK/Capcom to name the obvious ones. Sounds like you have a few of the best games but its well worth picking up Duke Nukem, Quake, Exhumed as they are all great FPS if that of any interest.

Marvel Super Heroes, Streetfighter Alpha series, and its best kept secret Golden Axe The duel, you cant go wrong with these baby's.

RiKo
nice thread Neo Geo man, it's good to have a place to talk about the Saturn.

I really like my Saturn, outside the Neo Geo its one of the best 2D consoles out there. I'm not too keen on the 3D stuff. I think the only 3D game i have is Burning Rangers, and Nights, although Night does use a lot of 2D sprites to make some of it's 3Dness, which i think is really cool. A lot of the 3D games look really glitchy, and border on early PSOne style messiness.

I have a Victor V Saturn, which i chose because i liked the design. I'm not sure if anyone else does? would be interested to hear opinions

i.ebayimg.com/t/VICTOR-V-SATURN-Console-JAPANESE-Version-JAPAN-054-/00/$%28KGrHqV,!jUE3L4ewb8JBN1fC+yU+!~~0_3.JPG

I recently got an analogue controller, which probably isnt that great but i bought it just so i can play Space Harrier. Those are my favourite games on Saturn - Outrun, Afterburner and Space Harrier - all the superscalar ones because they are all Arcade perfect, and if you told me when i was young i would own these games on a home console i wouldn't have believed it. Buy these! Chase HQ seems perfect too, though it's not as good a game as you remember.

I wasnt that keen on mnay of the fighters - they were excellent at the time i'm sure but they do seem to have aged a bit - you notice the lack of animation frames mainly. I prefer Neo Geo or Dreamcast for fighters.

I have quite a small collection but i have some nice games. Games i can recommend specifically are Sengoku Blade (this is really awesome, buy this!) and Battle Garegga (a Raizing shooter really straight up, no stupid gimmicks and the better for it)
Edited by RiKo on 02. February 2012 14:28
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NEO-GEO man
STE C wrote:
Sure is I for one love the Saturn and I know of a few others on this site who do too, Ninja for instance has a Saturn collection to die for. Great console for 90s arcade conversions Sega/SNK/Capcom to name the obvious ones. Sounds like you have a few of the best games but its well worth picking up Duke Nukem, Quake, Exhumed as they are all great FPS if that of any interest.

Marvel Super Heroes, Streetfighter Alpha series, and its best kept secret Golden Axe The duel, you cant go wrong with these baby's.

I do too yes, i loved it since the release day, i pre paid for mine over here in Australia and got one on the launch day!!

Ive got Street Fighter Alpha, play Golden Axe The Duel way back and loved it, im not much into FPS on these old machines, this is not where they excel.

Ill have to post up a list of what i do have for the Saturn soon Smile

RiKo wrote:
nice thread Neo Geo man, it's good to have a place to talk about the Saturn.

I really like my Saturn, outside the Neo Geo its one of the best 2D consoles out there. I'm not too keen on the 3D stuff. I think the only 3D game i have is Burning Rangers, and Nights, although Night does use a lot of 2D sprites to make some of it's 3Dness, which i think is really cool. A lot of the 3D games look really glitchy, and border on early PSOne style messiness.

I have a Victor V Saturn, which i chose because i liked the design. I'm not sure if anyone else does? would be interested to hear opinions

[img][/img]

I recently got an analogue controller, which probably isnt that great but i bought it just so i can play Space Harrier. Those are my favourite games on Saturn - Outrun, Afterburner and Space Harrier - all the superscalar ones because they are all Arcade perfect, and if you told me when i was young i would own these games on a home console i wouldn't have believed it. Buy these! Chase HQ seems perfect too, though it's not as good a game as you remember.

I wasnt that keen on mnay of the fighters - they were excellent at the time i'm sure but they do seem to have aged a bit - you notice the lack of animation frames mainly. I prefer Neo Geo or Dreamcast for fighters.

I have quite a small collection but i have some nice games. Games i can recommend specifically are Sengoku Blade (this is really awesome, buy this!) and Battle Garegga (a Raizing shooter really straight up, no stupid gimmicks and the better for it)

We never had the Victor Saturn here really, Was only the black Sega versions, 1 and 2, i had one of each back in the day, i sold the model one and got the model two when i heard it was going to be white, and when my new model 2 came into the store black, i was abit confused!! Wasnt a huge big deal though, i lost nothing in the end.

I now have the Euro model one again, exact same as i originally had, and also have a yellowish white Japan model, and a Skeleton "This Is Cool" Japan model as well. Got one each of analog pads, two first edition euro pads cause i love those ones, a Skeleton, a yellowish white, a white, and a black of the Japan and later Euro pads, i did have a few genuine guns but i seem to only have the one now, and have a Predator 1 and 2 light guns ( they work with PS1 as well ) Also got 2x Arcade Racer wheels.

I really want to get a couple Virtua Sticks too, and a 6 player tap if i can find one. Not that i will ever make use of that i dont think, but you never know.

Ill get to a list of games soon too Wink

neogeoeno
Ive been trying to find Rayman and Gex for the Saturn cause they are definately the best versions, i have Gex on 3DO but i have played the Saturn version and its clearly better, but the different between saturn & psx rayman is minimal i remember the psx version came out 2 month before saturn but ss version got little bit colorful

NEO-GEO man
Yeah i know Neogeoeno, but on a 120 inch screen the difference between versions is pretty easy to pick up on.

Ok, so here is my list of PAL games for the Saturn:

Clockwork Knight
Clockwork Knight 2
Bust A Move 2
Bust A move 3
Wipeout ( I have this on Playstation, it is better on that )
Cyber Speedway
Starfighter 3000 ( Have on 3DO and Playstation, i reckon 3DO version is best, then PS1 )
Tomb Raider ( Had on Playstation, i reckon Saturn is better )
Alone in the Dark
Diehard Arcade
Alien Trilogy
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Streat Fighter Alpha
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Sonic Jam
Sonic 3D
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon 2
Bug!
Bug Too!
Pebble Beach Golf ( also have on 3DO, Saturn FAR better )
Sega Touring Car Championship
Sega Rally Championship
Manx TT Superbike
Daytona USA ( original version )
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Racing
Andretti Racing
Area 51
Firestorm ThunderHawk 2

I also have on Japan region:
Virtua Fighter Remix
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Virtua Racing
Sega Rally Championship
Christmas Nights
Daytona USA CE ( this version is WAY better than the one called CCE, and still has the proper handling and also link play )

STE C
Great collection but you really need Quake as it is the best FPS ever, hey even if you dont like FPS, Quake is a marvel on the Saturn.

Oh as for Australia I LOVE INXS Hutchy was the man.
Edited by STE C on 05. February 2012 00:30

NEO-GEO man
I was never a fan of the game. I was more into Black Hawk Down and Joint Ops.

I havent got Virtua Racing here yet, i have the Japan version here but havent sorted out the white/yellow Japan Saturn yet. I do remember playing the PAL version briefly back when it came out, but dont remember why everyone was so down on it. Seemed everyone was always down hard on the Saturn even though it was such a great console and had some awesome games.

merlin
Good thread Neo Geo Man. Nice to see plenty of enthusiasm for the Saturn. What an incredible system it is with an extensive library of high quality games. I actually think it might even be my favourite console. Although I do enjoy a few of the 3D games now and again for me the Saturn is mainly about 2D gaming. Tons of superb 2D fighters, shooters, platform games etc.

My favourite games on the Saturn are the Capcom arcade ports: Dungeons & Dragons collection, Three Wonders and Warriors of Fate. All are arcade perfect and the Saturn is the only console to have a home version of the D&D games. Worth owning one just to play those.

Like RiKo said the arcade perfect Sega super scalar ports After Burner II, Space Harrier and OutRun are also fantastic. The Mega Drive versions of these were decent but it's so much better playing these on Saturn.

There are so many awesome 2D shooters such as Battle Garegga, Layer Section, Batsugun,
DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Gunbird, Radiant Silvergun and the Cotton games.

I had never heard of that Rayman game you guys were discussing. I may well get that one it looks good.

RiKo I really like the look of your Vic Saturn. I have a white one myself because I always
prefer white consoles.

Recently I picked up Cleopatra Fortune, Nekketsu Oyako, Golden Axe The Duel and Sega Ages: Mickey and Donald. Next on my list to get are Astal, Liquid Kids and the Capcom Generations compilations. I'm particularly looking forward to trying Astal. It looks amazing graphically. I'm also quite interested in the platformer Super Tempo but it seems incredibly expensive unfortunately. Anyone here played that one?

If anyone is looking for some recommendations it's well worth checking out the articles on the RacketBoy site.

e.g.

http://www.racket...turn-games

http://www.racket...d-shooters

http://www.racket...rs-library

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NEO-GEO man
Thanks mate yeah, what are those wo videos you posted up there? I cant watch them at the moment as my internet is too slow, so ill have to wait a few days.

Rayman is a great game, its also on PS1 but is better on Saturn. Usually quite dear if you find it complete though.

I have had a look at that Racketboy site a few times over the past few months but ill have a look again, i just ordered the mod chip and a couple other items from there today actually.

Im going to put the mod chip in the yellow white Saturn and i have the stuff here to make the region changing board, so ill make that and install it at the same time. Then ill use the yellow white machine for all games i want to play at 60Hz, and use my untouched 50Hz version one Saturn for all 50Hz optimized games.

hitorkori
=
RiKo I really like the look of your Vic Saturn. I have a white one myself because I always
prefer white consoles.

Recently I picked up Cleopatra Fortune, Nekketsu Oyako, Golden Axe The Duel and Sega Ages: Mickey and Donald. Next on my list to get are Astal, Liquid Kids and the Capcom Generations compilations. I'm particularly looking forward to trying Astal. It looks amazing graphically. I'm also quite interested in the platformer Super Tempo but it seems incredibly expensive unfortunately. Anyone here played that one?

If anyone is looking for some recommendations it's well worth checking out the articles on the RacketBoy site.

Nice thread love the saturn i had a launch saturn too the jap grey one me & mate paid 700 for it after seeing virtua fighter on gamemaster. we had just one joypad for one week which was a killer as no 2 player games on vf we also had rubbish wipeeout clone granchaser which im sure was out before wipeout ! love the music in astal its got an awsome soundtrack not bad platform game too . also can remember a game called willy wombat that also had 2 superb music tracks our lauch saturn did die after 3 yrs though due to the cdr swap trick :( but i still have my jap white saturn & games i post pics up soon its 2d fighters & shooters were a cut above the ps1 hands down !

merlin
Neo Geo Man the videos were of Astal a side scrolling game with beautiful graphics and Super Tempo a platform game. Found a copy of Super Tempo on Ebay but it's very expensive. I'll probably just emulate it instead.

http://www.ebay.c...0697431783

Wow 700 Hitorkori. I never realized import Saturns cost so much back then. That would be good if you posted a photo of your collection.

Dezaemon 2 for Saturn is quite interesting. Anyone actually tried it? It lets you design your
own shoot 'em up. I wonder how difficult it would be to use especially if you don't have a
good knowledge of Japanese. Would be cool to create your very own Saturn shoot 'em up.

http://www.youtub...gkO6IrxL-M

By the way does anyone know what those Private Idol titles are? I've often seen them for sale on ebay and always wondered what they were. Are they actually games or is it just some photos of Japanese idols?

http://www.ebay.c...0678383012

hitorkori
Private Idol titles are just photos of idols as u said some grainy fmv too i think i have that one pictured too lol Yummy

merlin
Thanks for the info Hitorkori. I think I'll give the Private Idol titles a miss. Grin

1983parrothead
My mother gave my brother a Sega Saturn for Christmas either in 1995 or 1996, and besides the Virtua Fighter it came with, we also got Daytona USA (because my brother liked NASCAR and the Daytona USA arcade game), Sega Saturn Choice Cuts disc (only contains an intro and gameplay videos. Because of them and the scratches on the CD, my brother decided to break it apart and thrash it), V. R. Virtua Racing ( because I saw it in the Sega Saturn Choice Cuts disc, while the SNES Star Fox and the MD / GEN port of Virtua Racing made me obsessed with polygonal games, while I refused to buy 3D games with smoother graphics. I even refused to buy Virtua Fighter 2, because I thought "It's not 'Virtua' when it's not polygonal anymore." ), and finally, Sega Rally Championship (because me and my brother were amazed by this exact 16 sec commercial, but I don't remember seeing also the 30 sec version). Back when I was still able to rent games at places like the local Action Video (now out of business) and especially Blockbuster and (also defunct) Movie Gallery, I rented X-MEN: Children of the Atom, but the game's disc was scratched severe enough to nearly not run.

Sometime in the early 2000s, I sold the Sega Saturn and the four games we had for a not-so-good deal: $20 (in pounds, 12.62), because I was starting to become a fan of the company Nintendo.

When the Internet's popularity and use became massive, while the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl wasn't as interesting as I thought, I started exploring the histories of other video game companies, including SNK and ADK. I also saw Segata Sanshiro TVCMs and a large number of interesting Japan-exclusive Sega Saturn titles and felt disappointed in selling the Sega Saturn kit.

When every requirement in comfortable Sega Saturn emulation arrives, I'll start looking around at some Sega Saturn titles to play. Emulating on my current laptop would force it to automatically shut down, even when I close as many programs as possible. I wish to collect Sega Saturn stuff, but my parents want me to focus more on other things (especially needs), while I am beginning to take as many things out of my room as possible, so that I don't have to clean it much, while my step-mother likes to check and see if it's clean or cluttered.

hitorkori
ok got round to taking photos of saturn stash enjoy !
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn005.jpg
love those saturn pads & yes did play 10 player bomberman bk in the day on a projector
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn004.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn003.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn002.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn001.jpg
good memories in all that lot Bye

neogeoeno
hitorkori wrote:
ok got round to taking photos of saturn stash enjoy !
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn005.jpg
love those saturn pads & yes did play 10 player bomberman bk in the day on a projector
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn004.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn003.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn002.jpg
i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/hitorkori/saturn001.jpg
good memories in all that lot Bye
never ever we will waiting anxiously for system to came like the saturn back when it was came outZip It

Chiba3010
Still give my Saturn some exercise every now and again, enough so that its still hooked up and ready to go. Some great games I haven't seen mentioned yet include Shining Force III (only the first game in this trilogy saw an English-language release but it's still excellent and well worth seeking out), Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Silvergun and Saga are worth quite a bit on eBay these days but I'll never let go of my copies.

As it seems you're into racing games, I'd suggest checking out High Velocity: Mountain Racing Challenge. Developed by Cave and published by Atlus, it's a solid, unique title that doesn't quite reach the excellence of Sega's flagship racers but is still a lot of fun to play. The visuals are decent for a Saturn game with a steady frame rate and hardly any pop-up and are only let down by a low-resolution and lack of light-source shading. The J-rock soundtrack is surprisingly good, IMO, as well. Car customization is extensive, you'll want to tailor the specs a bit for each of the three large circuits on offer. Once you've nailed down the drifting required to maneuver through the twists and turns of the mountainous terrain this game can be a blast. The steep ascents and plummeting descents offer a unique experience that stands out from the rest of the Saturn's racing stable.

Lavabeast
I still play mine as well. Sadly all I have for it right now is Street Fighter Alpha. I'm working on it though. Grin
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

TF73
Still have my Saturn and it's used on a regular basis. Lots of classic games on this console and some truly stunning RPG's!! There are many games here that I come back to play now and then. Some of my favourites are Virtua Cop Series, Sega Rally, Nights, Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun, PD Saga to mention a few. I think that anyone loving arcade games will love this console.

Seems like a lot of SNK fans are also Sega fans and the other way around.

Jump to Forum: