Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 3785
Thread Info
There are 231 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 40825 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New SNK(P) Handheld
-SD-
A little more information from The Verge:

The Neo Geo X handheld, which was previously confirmed as part of a $199.99 "Neo Geo X Gold" package including a dock and joystick, will also be available by itself for $129.99, according to the product's website.

An article on Inside-Gaming confirmed a Japanese release for the Neo Geo X: it will launch there on December 6th, the same day as in North America and Europe. The Neo Geo X will run Linux on a 1GHz processor and 128MB RAM, with a 4.3-inch LCD at a 480 x 272 resolution (identical to the PlayStation Portable). On-board storage consists of 2GB flash memory, which is expandable with an 8GB SD card. A 3.7V, 2200mAh battery will power the unit; it is rated for up to six hours of gaming, and takes three hours to fully charge, likely through the micro-USB port. The Neo Geo X Station, a dock that connects the handheld to a TV, offers HDMI and composite video outputs.

The standalone unit will still come with 20 Neo Geo games pre-installed: 3 Count Bout, Alpha Mission 2, Art of Fighting 2, Baseball Stars 2, Cyber Lip, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury Special, King of the Monsters, Last Resort, League Bowling, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Mutation Nation, Nam-1975, Puzzled, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2, Super Sidekicks, The King of Fighters '95, and World Heroes Perfect.

According to Inside-Gaming, Japanese buyers will receive a bonus "Ninja Master Game Card"; the handheld's makers have not announced that offer or similar ones for other regions.

Many of those titles offered multiplayer gameplay, and the Neo Geo X will support it — but only when it is connected to a TV with the docking station. Player two will need to buy a second Neo Geo X Joystick separately, at an as-yet unknown additional cost. The Neo Geo X will be distributed in North America by Tommo, and in Europe by Blaze.

Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Chiba3010
Guess we'll have to wait for the announced retail price of the additional arcade stick, subtract that from the $70 price difference between the premium and regular console packages and then decide if what's left seems like a bargain price for the docking station. At least that's how I plan on figuring out which edition to get if it reviews well enough to be worth owning upon release!

I'm thinking the gold bundle may be the better value for some, but since I already have an AES hooked up and ready to go, the handheld's TV connectivity is a less important feature for me. Hmm

Thanks for the update, SD! Thumbs Up
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

bojan4o
Why didn't they made it more powerful why? whyyy? whyyyyyyyy?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Chiba3010
As long as its powerful enough to emulate the games perfectly, that's all it really needs. If it underperforms, it's gonna flop miserably and I'd like to think its designers are astute enough to know that nothing less will be accepted by most potential customers. If they're that out of touch, they're going to lose a lot of money- fully earning the commercial failure they'd deserve for wasting an opportunity to honor the Neo Geo's legacy and bring it back into the spotlight again through quality of product and promotion.

Seems to have plenty of storage and the removable media featured simply MUST have been included with future titles in mind. Not intending to expand its software library in the future would be an epic blunder, too.

I'm hopeful this machine will live up to the hype and if it does, I'll certainly grab one! Pray

bojan4o
I hope that you can put this handheld in the dock station in lije an actual cartridge that would be so awesome LOL
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

DarakuTenshi
That announcement excites me even more now. I'd so buy this over a Wii U any day!

merlin
I do like the look of the Neo Geo X and would probably have bought one but unfortunately the widescreen display is a deal breaker for me. Hard to understand why they did that.

I wonder if games released in the future will, like Ninja Masters, also be on individual 'game cards' (SD cards) with artwork on them. That would be kind of cool and will make the games more collectible.

For some people the TV connecting option might be nice but connecting a handheld to a TV
doesn't interest me personally. It's disappointing that you can only do multiplayer while
connected to a TV unlike the Caanoo.

http://www.youtub...8wQfk2mZLU

I'm tempted to go for a Caanoo instead.

DarakuTenshi
I'm sure it's going to be an MP4 player as well (hence the wide screen aspect).

merlin
You're probably right Daraku. However I still feel that because the device's primary purpose is playing 4:3 aspect ratio arcade games it's inappropriate for it to have a widescreen display.

You can also watch videos on a Caanoo but sensibly the manufacturer went for a 4:3 display realizing that people would be mainly using it for classic arcade and console games.

Chiba3010
I've got a Caanoo. It's a nice, affordable little machine and *most* emulators run decently. The onsupport-source handheld that outperforms it is the Pandora (which is prohibitively expensive for my budget). A bit about the downsides to the Caanoo- Its a bit buggy, crashing from time to time. Its battery is drained very quickly by certain applications and emulators. Getting a handful of titles, both old and new, to run smoothly (or even in a state I'd consider "playable"Wink using MAME takes alot of tinkering, trial and error. Some roms run terribly regardless of any effort and are simply unplayable. And since the system's patent holders refuse to release source code to the developmental community, updates and fixes to emulators are very difficult to program or implement. Basically, the MAME apps available run the majority of games just fine with some fiddling here and there but there are some exceptions that leave me wishing it had a bit more processing power. Finally, neither myself nor my friend (who owns his own IT business and knows his stuff) have been able to successfully connect our Caanoos to the Internet.

Not my intention to bash the machine here, I just wanted to let you know about some of the few frustrations you may also encounter should you buy one. Still, these are far outnumbered and outweighed by all its strengths. Well worth a purchase for arcade fans. Thumbs Up

merlin
Thanks for posting your thoughts about the Caanoo Chiba. Disappointing to hear of those negatives like bugs and some games not working properly. I would be mainly buying it to play Neo Geo, CPS1 and CPS2 games. Do most of those games run well on the Caanoo with a good frame rate? I like the idea of some portable Knights of the Round, Shadow Over Mystara, Metal Slug etc.

DarakuTenshi
I never got on the Caanoo band wagon but I do have a Dingoo A320 which I loved until the SD slot went out and then I tried to find the problem and the wife detached from the speaker... it was really cheaply built.

Chiba3010
@Merlin: CPS1 games run beautifully. I seem to recall it struggling a little bit with CPS2 and Neo titles on default settings, though optimizing the hardware's performance by adjusting clock and CPU speeds, frameskip, audio bitrate, etc. can improve things noticeably. Since its been a while since I played it (it gets the most use when I travel and I haven't enjoyed a vacation in quite some time), I'll charge it up and play it a bit so I can give you a more precise description of CPS2 and MVS emulation and the settings I've scaled up or down to yield the best overall performance. Wink

merlin
Good to hear that CPS1 games run so well especially since they are my favourites. Sounds like there's a bit of work involved getting some other games running smoothly. Thanks for the info and for also checking MVS/CPS2 Chiba. Thumbs Up

Someone just posted a link to this video on the NGFL Facebook page:

http://www.youtub...hnABErXNoM

From the neo-geo.com forum:

Jonmkl wrote:
The X:
http://youtu.be/x...

the dock:
http://youtu.be/m...

rbelmonte171
Gamestop has it coming on their web site for pre-orders now, and they are giving away Ninja Masters as a bonus if you pre-order, i am really thinking about it. anyone else??

NinjaMasters96
I preordered it 2 days ago. It would be nice if they release Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and other SNK Playmore Atomiswave games

bojan4o
Yea that would be great

DarakuTenshi
I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm preordering it tomorrow when I pick up Kirby 20th Anniversary collection. To be honest I thought this was going to be a flyby night type of operation that would release the system and then nothing would ever come of it after that. Seeing as though Game Stop will be carrying it at least makes me feel a bit better.

And the new games coming on some type of SD card is really exciting for me.

bojan4o
How do you people afford to buy every new hardware that comes out?

DarakuTenshi
Basically it comes down to planning. I've worked hard over the past few years to get myself out of debt and when I know a new system is coming out I'll make sure I start paying on it early so when it does come out I will have paid it off early so it wont feel like a big chunk of change.

Jump to Forum: