Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3758
Thread Info
There are 25 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6314 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What Are The Most Addictive Video Games Ever?
RiKo
What are the most addictive games ever?

Recently I was sorting through my old Playstation 1 games, so i could sell the ones i probably wasn't ever going to play again.

Whilst doing this and playing many great games, I found myself totally addicted to Worms! When I play, i limit myself to bazookas and grenades, and there's something so addictive + satisfying about pulling off great bazooka shots. I could probably play it all day. Its like a toy really. I get more enjoyment from the actually playing than the winning. Its strange because i would probably never put this game in my favourite-ever games list, even though thinking about it now - i probably should.

So what games have you found to be the most addictive?, the ones you think about when you are not playing? the ones you want to play to the exclusion of all others? even maybe the ones you dream about at night? lists please!
Edited by RiKo on 04. January 2012 15:37
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Interesting thread Riko , I can see your point with some games I have gone back to in the past which I maybe dident bother much with at the time but rediscovered later in life.

Command & Conquer, I picked this up towards the end of the Saturn's life and then lost weeks of my life, a friend of mine actually warned me about this game as he had lost a girlfriend to it. Highly addictive but strange how I have never felt this way about the sequels.

Age Of Empires 2, another game that I did not play until it had been out a few years, I recall picking it up in PC World for about a tenner and proceeded to spend weeks on it.

The above games are the only RTS games that I have ever played for any period of time, they appear to have got things so right and I have always struggled to adapt to any others.

I am currently half way through my Shenmue 2 marathon which I start every Xmas, I never get bored of running Ryo around and exploring, I still find the odd lane or nook that I did not know existed despite completing it about 6 times.

I find it hard to have a quick blast on any Metal Slug game, I have to see it to the end whichever version I play.

Thats just a few games that I have found very difficult to lead a normal life whilst besotted , although I can take my time with Shenmue as its a richer experience to saunter through it.

neogeoeno
there is always something brilliant when we rediscover the old gamesClap

Murikov
Agree about the Metal Slug series, you can play it for the X-millionth time and it's still fun. Except for Metal Slug 4, but I don't consider it as a real one anyway. Nazca/SNK back then just nailed it to perfectness.

And not to speak of the C&C series, absolutely terrific, especially Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. I miss the old times when Westwood still were producing these games and not these [insert random cursing appellations] from EA. I still can't forgive them what they've made of the series up to today.

And how about GTA:VC or Counter Strike (Source)? These games robbed a big good time of my Gaming life.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

1983parrothead
The first addictive game that popped into my mind is the DSiWare exclusive Starship Patrol. I also heard the Famicom Wars / Advance Wars franchise is addictive.

Murikov wrote:
Agree about the Metal Slug series, you can play it for the X-millionth time and it's still fun. Except for Metal Slug 4, but I don't consider it as a real one anyway. Nazca/SNK back then just nailed it to perfectness.

And what about GunForce 1 and 2?

RiKo
Thanks for the responses so far Thumbs Up

Interesting with Metal Slug, although i love the games i dont find them particularly addictive. They definitely have the just one more go quality though.

must look up gunforce!

Ste wrote :- Command & Conquer, I picked this up towards the end of the Saturn's life and then lost weeks of my life, a friend of mine actually warned me about this game as he had lost a girlfriend to it. Highly addictive but strange how I have never felt this way about the sequels.

Well that is THE game! i wrote my list before i made the first post but wanted to see what other people said first. and Command + Conquer is right at the top. I once came back to my room to find 2 of my friends ransacking it looking for a Command and Conquer disk they had previously asked me to hide. At the time they had said 'no matter what we say dont give it to us' but in the end i had to because my room was just getting messed up too bad.

At that time i was living with 2 friends while at university and in the third year i got RSI in my arms so i couldnt play any games (i struggled just to do my work) and didnt even have a computer , so they knew it was safe to give to me. My 2 friends who never played any games up to that point got C + C on PC and were just playing it night and day. It was so addictive that i actually got addicted to just watching them play!

Later i bought it on Playstation and i was totally addicted to it and i played it through to coompletion and still played it even after that! I think the reason why the first one is so addictive is the base-building and hoarding of resources and building up your defences along with the attacking and planning part of course. Probably similiar reasons to why so many people are addicted to farmville, all that resource management stuff. In the C+C sequels I felt they tried to get away from the base building and had more missions where you just had a set number of troops from the start.

Murikov
1983parrothead wrote:
And what about GunForce 1 and 2?

I actually really like GunForce2/Geostorm as Irem's artwork for it is absolutey top-notch. Gameplay-wise I would say it's not that well-engineered like it's unofficial sequels made by Nazca/SNK but still of good quality.

But speaking of Irem, they definitely developed some titles which rank up in my personal Top 10 arcade games list, for example Undercover Cops and In the Hunt to only mention a couple. Next to SNK Irem surely is my favorite 90's arcade developer!
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
i still love the original R-Type, i think that is my favourite Irem title still! just amazing especially for the time it came out. and it seems to have influeunced so many other shoot-em-ups that came after.

Here is my list of the games i have found most addictive, in no particular order although C + C is definitely the most addictive game i have played.

Command and Conquer (PC + Playstation) - see my previous post, possibly the most addictive game ever!
Exile (BBC Master) - a sandbox game before sandbox games existed, i also had a free demo of this game on the Amiga and i would just play it forever, even though it was just a demo!
NHL 95 (Megadrive) - used to find this really addictive especially the way it saved statistics for your team and each player. wish i still had it now.
Player Manager(Amiga) - this was a football-management game where you actually played each game in position if you wanted to. It had the full Kick-Off football engine, so was pretty amazing. Very addictive
Warzone 2100 (Playstation) - basically Command and Conquer in 3D with a few differences, again incredibly addictive!
Laser Squad (Spectrum + Amiga) - The fore-runner to X-Com, but much simpler and more accessible...and addictive.
Super Street Fighter 4 : AE (360) so addicted to this game, even though it took me about 6 months to actually sit down with it properly. I must have been playing it for about 4-5 months now - every day pretty much. I have never done that with a game before. Its only addictive online though.
Worms (PC, Playstation) - mentioned this before - there's a reason why it has been ported to so many formats.
Edited by RiKo on 07. January 2012 14:15

merlin
I remember going through a period of being very addicted to the Heroes of Might and Magic series on PC especially HOMM2. Many times I used to stay up all night playing them even when I had to go to work the next day. Incredible games that I need to start playing again sometime. Also I went through a long period of playing nothing else apart from Thief The Dark Project. I would play through it over and over again. It really made a big impression on me at the time that game.

These days it's mainly two particular games by Capcom that I find most addictive.

GunForce 2 is incredible. I actually enjoy it as much as the Metal Slug games. All the different vehicles you can use in the game are pretty cool. Irem are a fantastic developer I agree. Ninja Spirit, Blade Master and Hook are also very good.
Edited by merlin on 07. January 2012 14:33

STE C
Irem despite not releasing a huge libary of games over the years ( even during the late 80s) they are pound for pound quality more than any other company. I really can not think of a poor game , the likes of Image Fight, Vigilante , R-Type Leo are my faves. Oh and dont forget Legend Hero Tonma.

SteveDave
Super Mario Bros.

Wanna fight about it? Andy

Really though, it's my personal favorite. It's the game that single handedly turned me into a "gamer". I got my cousins secondhand NES when for my 5th birthday and the rest is history. My dad (complete technophobe) to this day will play a game of Super Mario Bros every now and again.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

RiKo
Super Mario Bros is my favourite SM game. In the UK we used to have an electronics store called Dixons and when i used to go in there after school it would just be filled with kids playing Super Mario Bros. The staff would get annoyed sometimes and switch all the machines on and off so people lost their games. I just like the simplicity, i wasnt quite as keen on Super Mario World, for me they overcomplicated it a bit. SMW is still a great game though.

Merlin wrote :- I remember going through a period of being very addicted to the Heroes of Might and Magic series on PC especially HOMM2. Many times I used to stay up all night playing them even when I had to go to work the next day

thats a seriously addictive game there. it deos seem to be the deeper games that are the most addictive, esp those which mimic real-life mechanisms in their game mechanics.

I just remembered when i was about 12 maybe i got addicted to a game on our family computer (a BBC Micro) called Citadel (an arcade adventure). I remember playing it every moment of free time i had for about 6 days, and i was dreaming about it when i was going to sleep. it was weird cos when this happened i would feel sick. and then one day i walking to get the bus for school, and i was struggling and i felt sick and all i could see was this game playing in my mind. and i just never wanted to play a video game again. After that i vowed i would limit how long i spent playing games, and to never play them if they are making me feel crappy and i have always stuck to it since then.

I have to add a couple of multiplayer games

Super Bomberman games on SNES and Poy Poy on PSX. Me and my friends used to play these games for hours, in fact it did get to the point where we werent enjoying playing anymore but the addiction just made us keep playing. after a while we realised that and would just go outside for drinks, and then come back and do something else.
Edited by RiKo on 09. January 2012 14:02

shion
In recent times, I can attest to adult mahjong games being addictive. Grin

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
candycab
There are more but this sums up the last decade or so for me.

Road Rash and Twisted on the 3DO
Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
A.P.B. Coin-op
Grand Theft Auto IV
Granturismo series
Diablo II EXP
Edited by candycab on 12. January 2012 19:46
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

SteveDave
candycab wrote:Granturismo series

Oh man those are total girlfriend destroyers.
Edited by SteveDave on 12. January 2012 19:58
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

1983parrothead
Other addictive games I can think of are:

Outpost 2: Divided Destiny (PC) - This sequel is probably the one PC game I've played the most. I've never played its predecessor, but I first played its sequel as a demo in a 3D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night CD-ROM that also included several other demos and trailers. It is a Bird's Eye Viewed sci-fi themed game where you manage to "flee and regroup" a colony in a planet called New Terra (or like New Earth) in order to avoid certain disasters that will destroy the colony at a certain time. There are several objectives to complete in order to complete the mission, like complete researches in one to three Labs, grow the population to a certain number and fill up certain number of vehicles to haul certain needs for evacuation. Besides the Campaign Mode requiring players to "flee and regroup", there are other missions that either have a goal to grow the population to a certain massive number or to research and build a starship to move from one planet to another.

Nanaca Crash (Flash game for PC) - This is probably the first very good Flash game that pops up in my mind that I can play probably for a couple of hours. People compared it to the similar penguin game, but Nanaca Crash is more enjoyable. It features characters from the dating-sim game CROSS CHANNEL that send the main male character flying. Some characters have different effects, while there are some other useful tools like forcing him either upward or downward while he is airborne. The bar on the upper right shows the portraits of the main female characters, and when the main male character flies into any of the girls that has her portrait lit up, the player can click the mouse to activate the female character's special move to send the main male character farther. Some other male characters would either decrease the main male character's speed or change his flight angle. The BGM is very good, if not unforgettable.

chick chick BOOM (Flash game for PC) - Another pretty addictive Flash game. The object of the game is to knock out all of your opponents baby chicks with bombs, lightning bolts, balloons, heavy objects (or weights) and poisonous mushrooms, while protecting your baby chicks with arrows (for making them evade), lightning rods and sandbags (for forcing the balloons carrying your chicks). This was later remade as a WiiWare title. The same developers of this Flash game also created UPIXO in Action: Mission in Snowdriftland, which is very good, but I'm not sure if it is addictive; however, since it's only available during the beginning of a December planned by the developer, that might make you want to play it again.

candycab
SteveDave wrote:
candycab wrote:Granturismo series

Oh man those are total girlfriend destroyers.

lol so true Grin

If only I had a few dollars per hour I have spent playing those games Hmm
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

sukotsuto
Most of the games I tend to get really addicted to are usually strategy games and strategy RPGs, and Battlefield games. I don't know what are the most addictive ever (maybe the Civ series), so I'll just bring you the games I got addicted to...

Civilization IV: 1400+ hour and counting. Something about that game that keeps me coming back...

Front Mission 3: PSone SRPG by Square, I spent hundreds of hours playing that game. I think it was the only game I've played for months when I first got it.

Advance Wars series: Easily put in tons of hours in each iteration of the game

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: I spent so much time playing Battlefield games online, probably because I'm good at it Grin Grin

Battlefield 3: Same here

Diablo II: Good times playing that game with my friends via LAN in a netcafe. Seeing as it's a netcafe, we had a habit of copying other people's characters and taking their stuff. I don't know if that club that casts poison nova on strike is an edit item or not, but it sure was helpful and broken Pfft

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
LIFE_IN_2D
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to think of games that I literally played for years. Games that basically took over my life at some point. Games that no matter what, I never get tired of.

Final Fight - This game I spent dollars upon dollars playing in the arcade as a kid. I just love everything about it. It never really consumed my life, but it's a game I never, ever, get tired of. Ask me to play it anytime, anyplace and I'll always say "yes".

Warcraft 2 - It really made me fall in love with strategy games. I spent years, playing the game through with both factions. Making custom levels really was a time killer. Not to mention all the cool things you could re-program the game to do.

X-com : UFO defense - A 1990's PC strategy game that has extreme depth , even by today's standards. It's absolutely fantastic. Spent 2 years glued to this game before I gave it up. Recently re-visited it, had to force myself to quit playing it again,

Daggerfall (TES) - This was the most addicting game I ever played. The world was vast, way beyond anything at the time. You could basically do what you wished, something new in the 1990's. This game made me swear off The Elder Scrolls forever. It made me into a closeted loser. I still love the game.

i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

zyoops
MS slug titles (wasted alot of money) on the arcades lol

Puzzle boble (always love it)

games like ironclad, also love it

---------
non neogeo:

sonic series, love those 90's
disney games on MD where good too