Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3716
Thread Info
There are 35 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7495 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recomend me some more old platformers
Wonderboy
Riko, I would consider run 'n' gun games platformers, to a certain extent. It just depends which ones we're talking about. Earthworm Jim is awesome, lots of variety. The general complaint with EWJ2 is that, while the stages are oringinal, they're not interesting enough to play through (unlike the first game).

If we're talking PSX, then I recommend Mortal Kombat Mythologies — Sub-Zero. It's frustratingly difficult, and poorly executed, but an interesting concept nonetheless.
Edited by Wonderboy on 20. December 2011 18:33

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
candycab
Since Shinobi was brought up you may want to try Kenseiden on the SMS.

YouTube Video

Not sure I would call either of them a platformer, but they are both a lot of fun. Those and various shooters are the types of games that I gravitated towards more than any other back then. It just doesn't get any better than the Streets of Rage series or Final Fight when it comes to the "walk n sock" style games
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NEO-GEO man
Arr yes i have that one, i did play it way back in the early 90s but didnt get right into it.

Will have to give it another go Wink

Wonderboy
Toki for Arc. & Gen.

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
candycab
You probably already have it but Rastan is worth mentioning as its a decent "Hackformer" style game.

Thinking back on these games makes me want to play Choplifter Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

priest
Candycab: I deleted your doublepost.
img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
priest
Rastan for the master system is way too easy and too short, when compared to the arcade version. But other than that its a great game...

I would recomend Rainbow Islands for the Mega drive (don´t know if anybody has mentioned this yet)

YouTube Video

candycab
priest wrote:
Candycab: I deleted your doublepost.

Thank You Sir Smile

Gotta love the 900ms ping time that comes along with Hughes net Shock

Priest

I once bought a Rastan for $90.00 in a Rainbow Island cabinet, how weird is that ?

I gave the cab to a friend for an MVS project and still have the Rastan PCB stored loose in my SC19 cabinet. I still have the marquee for Rainbow Island somewhere in storage.
Edited by candycab on 28. December 2011 15:15

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

priest
You´re welcome, I was just "passing by" and thought I would do some cleaning Smile

Do you have some photos of that Rainbow island cabinet? Would be interesting to see. Hold on to that Rastan PCB and RI marquee, they´re real treasures. I love the Rastan soundtrackHeadbang

candycab
Sorry no pics, it was pretty rough. I only wanted the Rastan PCB but had to take the cab too. Rastan is one of those PCBs I will never part with.

I think the soundtrack really makes Rastan something special and gives it a higher quality feel than the game probably really has ? It has always been on my very short list of arcade games that have a timeless feel that I enjoy every time I play them. Which is why it is stored in my Neo cab for easy access.
Edited by candycab on 28. December 2011 19:22

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

priest
candycab wrote:I think the soundtrack really makes Rastan something special and gives it a higher quality feel than the game probably really has ?

Sorry but I can´t agree with you about that, even without that epic soundtrack I belive that Rastan would still impress me and keep me entertainedSmile

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
I would recomend Rainbow Islands for the Mega drive (don´t know if anybody has mentioned this yet)

IT'S FUNNY...
for all the praise Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands get, I've never really 'truly' liked either of them.

They're two of those games PPL seem to 'automatically' like, as though the games have such an overwhelming amount of mutual respect, they're virtually untouchable... but I always found them pretty boring and repetitive myself.

I know exactly how to play them... I just never got the obsession PPL have (outside of BBobbles amazing theme track/song) Shrug

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

priest
Ninja: Pay us no mind, we´re just ignorant fanboys / girlsWink

...No seriously, I guess its all a matter of different tastes and opinions.

RiKo
I was just watching this game on Youtube - looks pretty cool, and a little crazy, which is always good Thumbs Up

YouTube Video

It's doing the Mario Galaxy thing before......er.. well before Mario Galaxy did it!

for all the praise Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands get, I've never really 'truly' liked either of them.

I kind of agree with you Ninja, i like them but i dont love them. I really want to try and play Rainbow Islands properly one day, but thats the problem that i havent really been inclined to play more than a couple of levels. Part of that is that now we have a perfect conversion there is no Over the Rainbow soundtrack!! there's always mame i suppose... but i dont really play games on my laptop.
Edited by RiKo on 18. January 2012 15:01
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
1983parrothead
Psycho Fox, Magical Hat no Buttobi Tabo! Daibouken and Decap Attack are similar, because they were actually developed by Vic Tokai, who also developed the similar Famicom title Kakefu Kimi no Jump Tengoku: Speed Jigoku (known in North America as "Kid Kool and the Quest for the Seven Wonder Herbs"Wink, which was criticized by the Angry Video Game Nerd.

But the earliest platformer they created was Aigina no Yogen: Balubalouk no Densetsu Yori (lit. "The Prediction of Aigina: From The Legend of Balubalouk"Wink for the Famicom, released in 1986 exclusively in Japan. However, it was later ported to the Commodore 64 as Aigina's Prophecy. I learned in this StrategyWiki article that it was preceded by a Japan-exclusive arcade game Balubalouk no Densetsu, released the same year as the Famicom spiritual successor, but by Able instead of Vic Tokai. Perhaps the same designers worked at both places.

A few other platformers Vic Tokai released were Magical Kids Doropie (known outside of Japan as the inferior The Krion Conquest), Dengeki Big Bang! (known outside of Japan as Clash at Demonhead), Time Dominator 1st (known outside of Japan as Socket), Totsuzen! Macho Man (released outside of Japan by American Sammy as Amagon), and Chester Field: Ankoku Shin e no Chousen (lit. "Chester Field: Challenge to the Dark Gods"Wink.

Vic Tokai had some relationship with Sega, perhaps strong enough for Sega to pay tribute to them in the Sega DreamCast title, SeGaGaGa, by adding Battle Mania's main characters with Vic Tokai's name in Japanese as a subtitle during the final part of the game. This explains why Vic Tokai made Time Dominator 1st / Socket similar to Sega's Sonic series, and wasn't sued.

1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Toki for Arc. & Gen.

Don't forget the NES port by Taito, who also distributed TAD Corporation's early arcade games in Japan. Although the graphics quality is inferior, the gameplay is more accurate to the arcade than the MD / GEN port by Sega. The MD / GEN port contains exclusive content that probably ruins it.

Jump to Forum: