Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3716
Thread Info
There are 35 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7563 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recomend me some more old platformers
NEO-GEO man
I reckon Alex Kidd in Miracle World is one of the best platformers going, bar none. It is so exceptional. Followed straight up by Quack Shot on the Mega Drive. Also awesome. Gex on the Panasonic 3DO, brilliant platformer also.

What others are around from way back in this era?

I have all the consoles, so anything you can recomend and maybe abit about why you chose it.

I have all 3 Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES, as well as Mario 1 2 and 3 on NES, and Mario World on SNES... Havent got into them all that far yet. Need an RGB cable for my SNES before i can use it on the projector.

Also have Mario Land on Game Boy, love that one also, well balanced game. Sonic on Game Gear is also great fun.

I dont go in for 3D platformers much, i got sick of Mario 64 pretty quick... Bug! on the Saturn i loved though, i have Bug Too! but havent got to it.

What else can anyone recomend??

merlin
Alex Kidd in Miracle World is f*cking awesome Neo Geo Man. That was the first game I ever bought and I played it constantly sometimes even all night long. Other games in the series like Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle are also great but I reckon Miracle World is the best one. Sega should revive this series!

I recommend checking out Mega Twins (aka Chiki Chiki Boys) if you haven't already tried it. A superb CPS-1 platform game which is kind of like Capcom's answer to Wonder Boy. Very appealing colourful graphics and fun gameplay. I play it on Mame but the Mega Drive version also seems to be very good. Other CPS-1 platformers are also superb like Strider (Mega Drive), Midnight Wanderers (Capcom Classics Collection PS2) and Ghouls 'N Ghosts (Mega Drive).

YouTube Video

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

priest
some of my favorites:

Mastersystem:

Psycho fox (irritating britt (?) talking al through the video)

YouTube Video

Megadrive:

Strider:

YouTube Video

Chuck rock:

YouTube Video

Decapattack (a lot like Psycho fox):

YouTube Video

Alicia dragoon:

YouTube Video

Just a few, I might be back with some more...Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
Brilliant, thanks for that!!

I have got Chiki Chiki boys on the Mega Drive, and also Strider, havent played either one yet. I also have all the other Alex Kidd games, and Enchanted Castle is good, but nothing compared to Miracle World. Used to play Ghouls and Ghosts on the Mega Drive way back years ago, dont have that one now, got it on Master System though.

Priest i have Pycho Fox, only just got that a couple weeks ago. I havent had a chance to play it yet.

I thought i had Chuck Rock somewhere here too, but i cant see it with the Sega stuff Smile

candycab
I almost miss the early console years when the smallest bump in game play mechanics or graphics were pretty special. There are a few good games I can picture in my mind but the names escape me at the moment Shrug

checkout

Decap Attack

YouTube Video

Captain Silver was one of the better SMS games of the day

Couldn't find a video but I think this covers the game pretty well.

http://hardcorega...silver.htm

If I remember anything worth while I will post it later Smile
Edited by candycab on 17. December 2011 09:01
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Murikov
No love for the Bonk / PC Genjin series? I quite liked what I've played on the PCE emulator so far.

YouTube Video

Sorry for mentioning a modern title, but Prinny: Can I really be the Hero? for PSP might be one of the most addicting 2D platformers I've ever played.

YouTube Video

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

-SD-
Psycho Fox on the Master System is awesome. I'd also suggest playing Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure as well as the western Decapattack as there are differences between the two.

I always enjoyed Sparkster on the Megadrive. I never played the SNES version, but there's a new Rocket Knight available on PSN that's well worth getting.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

NEO-GEO man
Ive seen Decap Attack somewhere in the shops before but it mustve been on a day when i didnt buy anything....

I will have to give Pyscho Fox a go soon, ive never played it but i remember alot of people loved it way back then.

Ive never heard of magical flying hat adventure, what is that on?

Bonks adventure looks pretty good, what machines can i get that for??

Thanks for all the input here, its great!!

NEO-GEO man
There are so many awesome platformers out there that id never get around to trying out if i dont have them recomended to me, being a collector of games and one that actually isnt afraid to USE them is great, but i dont get a chance to get around every game i own either. I put alot more time into the NEO-GEO than any others, but the Mega Drive and Master System also have a special place on my desk here too.

I recently played Golden Axe 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive, followed by Rolling Thunder 2, which is another awesome game.

Between Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Quack Shot, those 2 games are 2 of the best ive ever played.

Ive got a ton of other Master System and Mega Drive platformers, but most ive never had a chance to play, mainly cause i continue to play the old favourites so much!!

I would like to get into Earthworm Jim at some point soon, i have both of them on the Mega Drive.

candycab
I was going to mention Earthworm Jim and forgot to add it Smile

Great Genesis game, its a real shame the PSN version borders on unplayable due to horrible controls.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NEO-GEO man
Horrible controls kill alot of emulated games, which is what sent me back to genuine hardware Wink

priest
You should also try Revenge of Shinobi (Super Shinobi) for the Megadrive and Shinobi for the Mastersystem. That is if you like Rolling thunder.

Revenge of Shinobi:

YouTube Video

Shinobi:

YouTube Video

...Same type of game; ESWAT city under siege for the MD:

YouTube Video

All of these along with Golden axe 1 (that you mention) are some of my alltime favoritesSmile

priest
NEO-GEO man wrote:Ive never heard of magical flying hat adventure, what is that on?

Its just an alternate version of Decap attack and was only released for the Japanese version of MD.

NEO-GEO man
I have a couple of those games too Priest, ill give them a shot soon. Im playing Sonic 3 at the moment, its not bad, although i like 1 and 2 abit better so far...

NEO-GEO man
Ok, i tried some more out last night after i started off with Rolling Thunder 2, went onto Sonic 3, which i must say i do like quite alot, its quite good, but i do like the first one the most, and the 2nd one follows mainly due to the AWESOME 2 player mode... Just wish they couldve carried that same 2 player mode onto the 3rd one...

I tried Technoclash, didnt like it much... Galahad was not too bad, and Blades of Vengence was pretty good also, bit like a flat version of Golden Axe.

I thought i had E-Swat here somewhere, but it seems i dont... I have Shinobi on Master System here though.

Another one i have that i havent played in years that i used to think was pretty good is Dynamite Dux on the Master System, ill have to give that one a run soon too...

Murikov
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Bonks adventure looks pretty good, what machines can i get that for??

Originally it was released on the PC Engine / Turbografx-16 as HuCard. Don't know if there are any other ports of the game though.

And how could I forget about the Earthworm Jim and Shinobi series?! Brilliant games for sure, you'll love 'em! Thumbs Up
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

Wonderboy
Cadash (Arc/Gen), Golden Axe Battler (GG), Valis I-III (all on Gen?), Revenge of Shinobi (Gen), Bad Dudes (Arc/NES), Two Crude (Arc/Gen), Crime City (Arc), Alien Soldier (Gen), Ristar (Gen/GG), Wonder Boy in Monsterland (Arc/SMS), Kid Cameleon (Gen).

Knuckles' Chaotix is a really weird game, but worth checking out if you're into platformers. Sonic purists (those who believe 1 or 2 is better than 3), often overlook Sonic CD. It plays a lot like a pre-Sonic 3 game, and is considered the best game in the series. I find it interesting that Sega offered their best Sonic title on their worst selling add-on!

Oh, and BA > SMW, IMO
Edited by Wonderboy on 19. December 2011 17:59

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
NeoGeoNinja
THOUGHT I'D LAY...
my 2 penneth of copper down here.

Personal platforming faves, which are basically mentions from my own collection/previously owned titles:

MD
Castlevania New Generation/BloodLines (MD)
Revenge of Shinobi (MD) - as mentioned by Priest - as we both adore this game!
Shinobi 3
Mega Turrican (MD) - platforming shooter really
Rocket Knight Adventures (MD)
Strider (MD) - already mentioned, but gets another vote from me!

SNES
Super Castlevania 4 (SNES)
Super Metroid (SNES)
ActRaiser (SNES)
Alien 3 (SNES)
Prince of Persia (SNES)
Sparkster (SNES)
Aladdin (BOTH MD & SNES)

NES
Shadow Warriors (NES) - a.k.a Ninja Gaiden (series)
Blue Shadow (NES) - a.k.a. Shadow of the Ninja

PS1
Heart of Darkness (PS1)
Rayman (PS1/SAT & JAG)

Should keep you busy (although, I suspect you already own a few here?)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

neogeoeno
also dont forget about mcDONALD & PUGGSY THIS 2 TITLES IS MY FAVOURITE

RiKo
I really want to play Alex Kidd now! Thumbs Up btw what is Alex Kid, is he some kind of monkey-boy?

I'm not really sure if run and gun games count as platformers. I know they have platforms in, but they are more about shooting things than platforming skills.

These are the games i recommend

Manic Miner (Spectrum) not officially on the consoles (although i do have it on my dreamcast along with JSW) but it's an all time classic and easily emulated. Pixel perfect jumping skills are required, so not for the faint hearted.

Ninja Cop (Ninja Five-O) on GBA. This game is hard to find, but its like a mix of bionic commando and strider, and there is lots of platforming in it!

Qwak (PC, Amiga, GBA) I tried to get this on Neo Geo a while ago but no one wanted it but...... i genuinely rate this game. Really addictive! I prefer it to Bubble Bobble.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES) awesome game, superb graphics and sound, a real challenge too.

Umihara Kawase (SNES) only released in Japan, a really charming game with great music, and you can use your fishing line to swing from platform to platform.

YouTube Video

Plok! (SNES) Supposedly Miyamoto's 2nd favourite SNES platformer after his own games on that system. Incredibly original, great graphics and a main character who can fire all his limbs off.

The Earthworm Jim games are also meant to be good, but never played them...

While i am here i want to complain about how lots of platformers just turned into collect-a-thons. There's so many games where you just breeze through the levels with no focus while collecting coins and other crap. Thats not what platformers are about - they should be about using your skill to traverse craftly-designed levels. So many games forget that.....
Edited by RiKo on 20. December 2011 14:27
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: