Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Will
Thread ID: 3674
Thread Info
There are 6 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2233 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gerry Anderson Anyone?
Will
Does anyone around here take an interest in Gerry Anderson related Supermarionation TV Shows from the 1960s? So far I have watched "Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons", "Stingray" and of course "Thunderbirds".

Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons has caught my attention since I watched the pilot episode and both Captain Scarlet and Lieutenant Green are my favourites. I mistook the voice actor of Captain Scarlet for Cary Grant. My favourite episodes are "Expo 2068" where the Mysterons show no mercy and "Flight to Atlantica" where most of the Spectrum crew are stupefied. It's a pity you don't get to see what a Mysteron actually looks like, but a lot of their architecture is shown. When the CGI TV Series were introduced, I was not impressed especially since my fav Lieutenant Green is womanised.

Thunderbirds has shown on TV for as long as I can remember. Virgil, Scott and Lady Penelope are my favourites. Some of the episodes are pretty James Bond oriented, especially "The Man from MI5". The episode "Security Hazard" in my opinion is the best 'clip show episode' you'll ever see in any television program. The live action film I regarded as a complete joke to the traditional format.

Stingray is sort of underrated and overlooked but it has more comical moments in it than the other TV shows I've watched and that was when I first saw a Marionette animal (that being a seal named Oink). My favourites are both Troy, Phones and Marina.

Tell me about your experience with those TV Shows.

NeoGeoNinja
HEY WILL...
I can't tell you anything specific (re: episodes etc) however, I too grew up watching ALL these programs on TV, after school and the like.

I enjoyed them all, but I can't deny that Stingray was my favourite - Troy Tempest and all. Captain Scarlet I'm less familiar with, but I did still watch it from time to time. Captain Black was sick!

As for Thunderbirds?...

FIVE! "WAAAAH"
FOUR! "WHIIIIIR"
THREE! "WHAAAAAR"
TWO! "MHIIIIIR"
ONE! "KABOOOOM"

You know the rest Wink

Yeah. Nothing more to say on that one. What I will say is that overall, these are STILL some of the best TV programs ever imo. The model detail is insane... incredible even, and as a child, that combination of real engine noises, actual dirt modelled onto the vehicles, actual fire and explosions AND, obviously, the use of model work made Andersons extremely immersive and enjoyable - as if it's all happening in an alternate universe somewhere that perhaps even exists?!

Not only that, but the music featured in these was just incredible. The music used for the opening and closing scenes is still some of the greatest stuff to this day (Aqua Marina anyone?!).

AS AN INTERESTING SIDENOTE...
One thing I always noticed watching these as a kid, is that it made reference to something called 'SuperMarioNation'?!

Was that an unwanted IP Domain for a cancelled Nintendo MMORPG or something, errr... back in the 60's? Grin

Ninja

EDIT:

Of course, we can't forget...

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 24. November 2011 04:16
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

crazygermn
Ah thunderbirds a true classic.
Its FAB alan!
Me and my dad watched the entire box set on DVD.

lee gray
I love all those shows, didnt like terrahawks as much but use to love saturday mornings for thunderbirds and joe 90... stingray was on sunday

Gordon Tracy was my fav and loved when he got a decent part in some episodes.

although not a gerry anderson production, another show i use to watch was starfleet, that was cool.

candycab
Being from the U.S. I/we never really got much exposure to anything he did other than The Thunderbird's and that was pretty limited. I have always been a fan and enjoy all his work for the most part. I have the following DVD sets that I enjoy watching every now and then.

Thunderbirds Are Go
Supercar
Stingray
Fireball XL5
Captain Scarlet And The Mysterons
Thunderbirds 1 & 2
UFO

I Don't think most people in the U.S. other than hardcore fans even know about UFO which I find a bit odd but interesting.

I have always been fascinated bye the models and later bye the techniques they used to film them. That and the uniqueness of all of it makes most if not all his work pretty special.

It really sucks there aren't many props from their production days as I could probably look at any of the props for hours.
Edited by candycab on 06. January 2012 15:32
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Will
I have just recently finished watching the entire Joe 90 series and the most unique episode in the whole Gerry Anderson filmography is "See you down there" which is completely comedy-oriented with no major action or danger. Reminds me of the Inspector Clouseau Pink Panther Films. The next Tv series I'll try to watch when I get a chance is "The Secret Service".

Jump to Forum: