Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: neros
Thread ID: 3673
Thread Info
There are 303 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The PGM System & Games
merlin
This news is a few months old but I don't think anyone mentioned it yet. A new Knights of Valour game will be released for the PS4 in spring 2015. Not PGM-related news but this seems like the logical place to mention it.

YouTube Video

reelmojo
I really hope that gets a US release! It looks awesome, and I'll take any chance to support IGS in the hopes that they'll eventually port some PGM games and get the recognition they deserve.

EDIT: I just looked it up and apparently it's a free to play game. We can hope that just means they give you a significant chunk of the game for free and you just have to buy it if you like it (like DOA: Core Fighters, or any XBLA title). Just don't be micro transactions please!

green beret
IGS is a great company and people must know!

cthulhu
I've been playing Oriental Legend 2 quite a lot recently. It's a very nice game with great graphics and it's very big. Also found out that this game has different routes like a lot of other IGS Beat 'em Ups. The gameplay is very similar to that of Knights of Valour, but I do think that the controls are a bit stiff and could have been a bit more responsive...I sometimes have trouble executing some moves.
Really a game that deserves more attention.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

neros
One day I'll buy a PGM 2 system.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
Plexo
What is igs doing right now?

cthulhu
From what I know, IGS has abandoned the PGM system. All people that worked in the development of PGM games, have moved on and are not employed at IGS anymore. Nowadays IGS is more into making redemption games and they have also made some games for small children. Also at their site I see some online game development.
My arcade stuff

green beret
Sold my Martial Masters and gave the buyer's Dragon Word 3 as a present!
I really didn't like Martial Masters gameplay and its backgrounds are ugly. I had received Dragon World 3 as a gift too and had never inserted it in the PGM mobo.

I will buy first chance Oriental Legend to add it to my beat em ups collection though. Have heard it's a solid and fun beat em up.

merlin
I'm a little surprised you think the backgrounds are ugly Green Beret but each to their own. I think you will enjoy Oriental Legend. It's surprising how many special moves you can use once you've charged your power meter. The different team attacks are really fun.

cthulhu
For everyone that has a PGM mobo/ Cave PGM PCB (Ketsui, Espagluda and Dodonpachi Daioujou) with the battery still installed: please remove it.
It supposedly had a new battery installed and I removed it after a while without seeing any damage from leaking. A few weeks ago I hooked up my PGM with SvG to my cab and all I got was a black screen. Upon removing the housing, I saw a lot damage near where the battery used to sit...a lot of tracks were eaten away and the pins of the 4 player connector nearby were turned greenish. Apparently the battery was leaking without me noticing it and the battery acid started corroding everything in its path without stopping.
I was just about to buy another mobo when I got a tip with a possible fix and now luckily my dead mobo is revived.
If you have battery acid damage on your PGM mobo, neutralize the acid with baking soda by applying it as a thick paste to all the areas where the damage is done (especailly also in and under the 4 player connector), leave it for 30 minutes and clean it with water. Leave the mobo to dry for at least two days until completely dry. All you still have to do is solder a wire between two points on the mobo and the system will work again. I don't know if this will work with the Cave PGM PCBs though.

Wire soldered in place, notice the nasty acid damage:
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-06jN2SuCbCw/VcOA7xJQ7oI/AAAAAAAAB70/XFPZ3m-PMCM/s1024-Ic42/PGM%252520PCB.jpg

It's alive!, IT'S ALIVE!!!
lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7SHhUGKhcJU/VcOA6knzZwI/AAAAAAAAB7s/UcGvZIFJwJg/s1024-Ic42/PGM%252520Alive.jpg

So even if there's no apparent leakage, the damage could still come later as in my case.
My arcade stuff

Sensi
Thanks Cthulhu, my PGM mobo has still the battery installed.
Can I just remove it and what will be the consequences? Does the mobo/games still save their progress? Do I have to solder some wires?

One thing I don't understand from your story; there was damage AFTER you removed the old battery? Or did you install a new battery which leaked?

Sensi
Hm, I was kind of lazy. Looked up the matter, many other forum posts about it.
Desoldering the battery should do the trick, it only saves calendar settings or something like that. On my mobo, the spot under the battery is a little bit dark and feels greasy.
So it seems there was already an older accident there.

Cthulhu, some hot water with soda should clean it up nicely?

cthulhu
The thing was, when I removed the battery that was alreay installed (I didn't install a new one) everything looked fine...but it wasn't. If the acid isn't neutralised, it'll start eating away at the board, so thing will get worse over time...so it was only noticable for me when the damage was already done. The batteries on PGM boards are really notorious for leaking.
The battery only saves calendar settings and game settings, so you really don't need it. Just desolder it or if you can't desolder, just cut the legs of the battery.
I have no idea if that greasy spot is actually some damage. If you want to clean it, maybe first try a cotton swab with sone isopropanol/ 2-propanol/ isopropylalcohol before using the baking soda to see if everything looks fine after cleaning.
If you're not sure or if you don't trust it, just dissolve some baking soda in cold water until you have a thick paste and apply it with something like a toothbrush...wait for 30 minutes and rinse the areas with baking soda with cold water and let the board dry thoroughly (2 days).

Edit: First I thoroughly hand dried the board with some kitchen paper before leaving it dry for a couple of days...just make sure you hand dry with material that doesn't generate static electricity.
Edited by cthulhu on 08. August 2015 18:44
My arcade stuff

green beret
Great instructions. Thank you Cthulhu. I will check mine how is going. Last time I remember there was evidence of greenish tracks from a past leakage. I have cleaned very good with alcohol.

cthulhu
green beret wrote:

Great instructions. Thank you Cthulhu. I will check mine how is going. Last time I remember there was evidence of greenish tracks from a past leakage. I have cleaned very good with alcohol.

Better safe then sorry. Anyway, luckily there's a solution if the board fails from acid damage...at least if it's not too bad.
My arcade stuff

vas
Almost sounds like the suicide battery's on the cps2's but in physical form , unintended of course . Glad you saved your pcb it's an expensive one too

neros
Going at it with the PGM again here. Long time since I checked this thread. My scart cable broke so my CPGM is not working at the moment, but I can play is with my supergun so actually no problem here.

I have been looking on PGM games on eBay and find some of the games like Martial Masters suddenly have INSANE prices?? Wtf..! Me and a friend both have this game bought for much MUCH less back when all this startet.

Check this out:
http://www.ebay.c...c98de576:g PfftpMAAOSwc1FXahtK

Maybe it's just eBay, but I have seen other Martial Masters PGM games up there playing around in the insane category prices. What is happening?
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
green beret
neros wrote:

Going at it with the PGM again here. Long time since I checked this thread. My scart cable broke so my CPGM is not working at the moment, but I can play is with my supergun so actually no problem here.

I have been looking on PGM games on eBay and find some of the games like Martial Masters suddenly have INSANE prices?? Wtf..! Me and a friend both have this game bought for much MUCH less back when all this startet.

Check this out:
http://www.ebay.c...c98de576:g PfftpMAAOSwc1FXahtK

Maybe it's just eBay, but I have seen other Martial Masters PGM games up there playing around in the insane category prices. What is happening?

eBay is full of punks nowadays.

Nevertheless arcade market is staring to raise prices because most of the people who got into Neo (AES first and then MVS with supergun or caCool, they now are thirsty for more and they need games that were on arcade but not in the Neo catalogue. All those are moving further to arcade chaos and madness!

neros
Damn...I feel guilty now :-(
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
merlin
It does seem like more and more people are discovering the PGM system and games so prices will inevitably go up. That auction is insane though! $2000 is a crazy price for Martial Masters and the game is not 'super rare'! I paid less than 100 Euros for my copy.

Jump to Forum: