Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: neros
Thread ID: 3673
Thread Info
There are 303 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The PGM System & Games
Sensi
The MAK Strike has been ordered, it should ship about 2 weeks. Any ideas about a good place to look for some games? Ebay way overpriced (!?) I will look for some priceguide to hold on to.
Thanks Merlin & Cthulhu for the advice and info, really appreciate it.

cthulhu
You're welcome! There are a few Chinese sellers on Ebay that have reasonable prices. I don't know if there's something like a priceguide, but I reckon $160 should be the top price for the most expensive common game (DDPII) and expect to spend quite a lot more on a Spectral vs Generation cartridge (PCB version is way cheaper), they tend to go for 300 Euro or more on Ebay (pretty difficult to find elsewhere). SKYWAYPRO looks like a good source for some games or maybe Excellent Com?
Otherwise you could always put up a wanted post on Arcade Otaku.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Glad I was able to help a little Sensi. I'm sure you will love the PGM library. I think it's a good decision to go for a supergun so you have the option of playing many more arcade games. HK Legend (worth emailing them for a stock list) and SmallCab (perhaps you already noticed they stock PGM games) are also good places to buy PGM games.

http://www.hklege...amp;lang=0

http://www.smallc...21_33.html

'Sheep Nova' is one of the best sources of PGM games on ebay. His prices are not too bad.

I'm currently in the process of selling off my PGM collection but have already sold Puzzli 2, Demon Front and all of the fighting games and beat 'em ups.

green beret
I am starting PGM too. My first games will be Demon Front, Martial Masters and Ketsui. I already have made a deal for all three. Then will get KOV nine dragons, KOV super heroes and Gladiator if I find them...
I am in a search for a consolized system outputting component among simple outputs and will prefer a 4 player setup.
Thinking supergun solution but what supergun? Jasen Hicks has stopped building any more...

Sensi
Cthulhu, I have still a question about the RGB output. Do you know which RGB cable the Mak Strike uses? Is it Neo Geo AES?

http://arcadeforg...e::74.html

Merlin, tonight I will look for some games. Thanks for pointing out the right places, I will look into it Smile

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:

Cthulhu, I have still a question about the RGB output. Do you know which RGB cable the Mak Strike uses? Is it Neo Geo AES?

[url]http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Supergun-MAK-Strike::74.html[/url

Sorry, I really have no idea. I know there's a difference in pinout between Euro SCART and NTSC SCART. Since the site is German I'm inclined to say that it's would likely be Euro SCART. Why not ask Arcade Forge themselves?
My arcade stuff

Sensi
Yup, already got a answer from the seller. Just a standard SCART/RGB cable, no special things. A habit of asking the same guy over and over again without thought, sorry.

Yesterday I got the recent pricelist of HK Legend. Didn't know some (new) arcadegames were so expensive! Shock
The clearance corner looks nice though, I'm confident I will succeed there sometime.
I also ordered yesterday some PGM games from Small Cabinet, they already got shipped.

Cthulhu, so Katana was a little investment? Wink

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:Cthulhu, so Katana was a little investment? Wink

Heh, not really...I collect Cave games and this one was quite "cheap" as it was just the bare PCB, I'll never sell my Cave games. I've got a really expensive one on its way...Dodonpachi Saidaioujou...feeling a bit guilty of spending such a huge amount of money on just one game...
In comparison PGM games are almost free.
My arcade stuff

green beret
cthulhu wrote:

Heh, not really...I collect Cave games and this one was quite "cheap" as it was just the bare PCB, I'll never sell my Cave games. I've got a really expensive one on its way...Dodonpachi Saidaioujou...feeling a bit guilty of spending such a huge amount of money on just one game...
I have felt this feeling in the past for AES Metal Slug 2 and 3 and 5 and for AES Pulstar. Don't worry guilty feeling only last for a few days! Did you spend more than a grand for it? I have the super big limited edition of this game for Xbox 360

Sensi
green beret wrote:

cthulhu wrote:

I have felt this feeling in the past for AES Metal Slug 2 and 3 and 5 and for AES Pulstar. Don't worry guilty feeling only last for a few days! Did you spend more than a grand for it? I have the super big limited edition of this game for Xbox 360

Yes, I do understand it. Blazing Star (AES) was THAT game for me, but I didn't regret it ever. We're passionate about these games and it's just money, others spend the same money for things we don't understand Wink
Cthulhu, does the game comes with original box, stickers, posters etc? Is it new?
And buying the arcade version, is it a nostalgic decision instead of the Xbox version?

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:
Yes, I do understand it. Blazing Star (AES) was THAT game for me, but I didn't regret it ever. We're passionate about these games and it's just money, others spend the same money for things we don't understand Wink
Cthulhu, does the game comes with original box, stickers, posters etc? Is it new?
And buying the arcade version, is it a nostalgic decision instead of the Xbox version?

DDPSDOJ doesn't have the box and the movestrip is missing. It does have the POP and the manual and the marquee is the Cave laminated reprint. I really don't care if games come as complete or partial kits...I rarely look at the paperwork anyway (except for movestrips for Fighting Games).
I don't have an Xbox and I will never buy one...I want all the Cave games in PCB form as I think they play just a little bit differently. Probably just a personal feeling but the Xbox versions are ports and playing the original version just feels nicer (except for my bank account...).
My arcade stuff

Sensi
Some (new) arcade kits are really nice and can be collector items.
Why are the prices for the new arcade games so high? Are they produced in limited quantities? I still have some arcade questions, so it's maybe better to move somewhere else.

To keep this a little bit a PGM topic; I have bought yesterday Knight of Valour: Seven Spirits with Atomiswave board.

green beret
cthulhu wrote:

Sensi wrote:

DDPSDOJ doesn't have the box and the movestrip is missing. It does have the POP and the manual and the marquee is the Cave laminated reprint. I really don't care if games come as complete or partial kits...I rarely look at the paperwork anyway (except for movestrips for Fighting Games).
I don't have an Xbox and I will never buy one...I want all the Cave games in PCB form as I think they play just a little bit differently. Probably just a personal feeling but the Xbox versions are ports and playing the original version just feels nicer (except for my bank account...).
You are right. I think games played in original hardware are played as they meant to be played. Feels good also this way. There is a deep satisfaction owning and playing them. I wait for Ketsui cart conversion for PGM to arrive, I don't own any other conversion and I may never love this cart, so I may buy the original PCB in the future whatever price. Do original cave PCBs need any battery replacement or anything special to maintain?

cthulhu
Just remove the battery, it will eventually leak and damage the board...still have to remove the one on my Ketsui (I have done it already on my Espgaluda PCB). The game doesn't need the battery, it's used only to store system settings like difficulty, coin settings etc.

I guess I should also remove the battery on my PGM mobo (same system and battery as Ketsui and Espgaluda) to prevent damage in the future.
My arcade stuff

Sensi
About the battery; do I have to remove/replace the battery of a Atomiswave board or a regular PCB?

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:

About the battery; do I have to remove/replace the battery of a Atomiswave board or a regular PCB?

As far as I know the Atomiswave doesn't have a battery. The batteries on all Capcom CPS systems have to be changed every 5 years (suicide batteries) except for Street Fighter III Second Impact, which actually doesn't need a battery (remove it and rewire the cartridge and the game will work without suicide battery). The PGM system doesn't really need the battery as it's just needed for saving the system configurations. The following Cave games also don't need their battery as the PCB is basically a PGM: Dodonpachi Daioujou, Ketsui and Espgaluda...DDPDOJ Black Label DOES need its battery as it's a suicide battery and the game will be killed without! These are the systems of which I know, information on others can be found relatively easily on the internet.
My arcade stuff

green beret
cthulhu wrote:

Sensi wrote:

As far as I know the Atomiswave doesn't have a battery. The batteries on all Capcom CPS systems have to be changed every 5 years (suicide batteries) except for Street Fighter III Second Impact, which actually doesn't need a battery (remove it and rewire the cartridge and the game will work without suicide battery). The PGM system doesn't really need the battery as it's just needed for saving the system configurations. The following Cave games also don't need their battery as the PCB is basically a PGM: Dodonpachi Daioujou, Ketsui and Espgaluda...DDPDOJ Black Label DOES need its battery as it's a suicide battery and the game will be killed without! These are the systems of which I know, information on others can be found relatively easily on the internet.
Thanks for great info! What supergun do you use. I am thinking about Mak Strike supergun. Do you have any recommendation for me?
Thanks

cthulhu
green beret wrote:Thanks for great info! What supergun do you use. I am thinking about Mak Strike supergun. Do you have any recommendation for me?
Thanks

I don't own a supergun, I play games on two Sega New Astro City cabs. If I were to have a supergun, it would definitely be a Board Master (Japanese supergun/ Control Box).
My arcade stuff

green beret
cthulhu wrote:

green beret wrote:Thanks for great info! What supergun do you use. I am thinking about Mak Strike supergun. Do you have any recommendation for me?
Thanks

I don't own a supergun, I play games on two Sega New Astro City cabs. If I were to have a supergun, it would definitely be a Board Master (Japanese supergun/ Control Box).
From where can someone buy one?
What are the features that make it so unique?

cthulhu
There are Japanese arcade shops where you can buy one and I think there was also a French and British shop, but I can't remember which ones.
The main difference between Japanese and western type Superguns is that the Japanese ones are basically a control panel incorperated into a fully encased supergun...some even have speakers. The western Superguns are really basic and you need to buy separate controls.
A thread on Arcade Otaku all about Japanese Superguns: http://forum.arca...mp;t=19661
My arcade stuff

Jump to Forum: