Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: neros
Thread ID: 3673
Thread Info
There are 303 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The PGM System & Games
merlin
Nice find Cthulhu. Thumbs Up

In case anyone doesn't already know there's been some exciting PGM emulation news. The
Gladiator (JPN PCB version) and The Killing Blade Plus are now playable. It's great that more people will be able to enjoy these games.

http://mamedev.em...e-0-151x1/

YouTube Video

reelmojo
Very happy to finally be able to play The Killing Blade Plus! The Gladiator looks amazing too!

cthulhu
Good news for those that don't have the physical games. I've actually sold The Killing Blade Plus...didn't get along with it and realised that I could make someone else actually happy with the game instead of just having it lying around collecting dust.
The Gladiator is one of the best beat'em ups I've ever played so a lot of people will be happy to be able to play it...maybe someone will finally write a FAQ about all the secrets that I still haven't found or am not able to trigger.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Great to see that SVG has finally been emulated!

http://mamedev.em...n-strange/

YouTube Video

LIFE_IN_2D
These games look awesome. Wish I had time to figure out how to get the emulator working.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

neros
That emulation looks kind a wrong to me? Seen the real game in motion and it looks much better.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
cthulhu
neros wrote:

That emulation looks kind a wrong to me? Seen the real game in motion and it looks much better.

I have the original cartridge and when I compare this video to the original hardware, there seems to be quite a lot of ghosting when the characters move...could be just the video quality or the video capture quality though.
My arcade stuff

neros
Might be.. Are the backgrounds right too? I remember they where more lively and things where moving in them a lot more?
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
cthulhu
Looks good to me...some have more animation than others, but in my opinion the backgrounds in this game tend to be a little bit static.
My arcade stuff

neros
What Knights of Valour game should I buy?

I'm a bit confused about all the different upgrades for the games. Plus and Heroes versions, 1, 2, 3, and so on?
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
cthulhu
neros wrote:

What Knights of Valour game should I buy?

I'm a bit confused about all the different upgrades for the games. Plus and Heroes versions, 1, 2, 3, and so on?

I think Knights of Valour Superheroes is the most updated version of the first Knights of Valour and Knights of Valour 2: Nine Dragons is the most updated version of Knights of Valour 2. Knights of Valour 2: New Legend on the PGM2, I believe is pretty similar to Knights of Valour 2: Nine Dragons.
I do know that Knights of Valour 3 is a whole new game as I've owned it. The only reason I sold Knights of Valour 3 is the fact that the game can't be beaten/ finished. It's an endless battle against the CPU...it is huge though and has a lot of areas to beat and secrets to discover and you can upgrade your weapons and magical powers (everything can be saved on a memory card). But a game that has no ending has no appeal to me...otherwise it's an awesome game.
My arcade stuff

neros
Ok thank you for info about this. I might start on getting the Knights of Valour Superheroes at first then.

Knights of Valour 3 looks great but a game with no ending sounds very strange to me? That doesn't appeal on me either. I might get Orintal Legend 2 instead for the PGM2.
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
merlin
There is also a later revision of the first game which came out in 2004: Super Heroes Plus. Despite what someone at Arcade Otaku might say I'm sure this is an official release. There are more characters to choose from but I'm not sure if there are any other differences.

Despite the lack of an ending KOV 3 sounds great. Wish I could play it.

Nine Dragons has always been my favourite PGM side scroller but it seems like most people like The Gladiator more than the KOV series.

I'm currently in the process of selling off my PGM collection. I'm sad to see them go but want to raise some money for something else. I'll keep playing the games through emulation of course.

As I've said before I can't recommend enough that people check out the Photo Y2K games. They might not look very exciting but with two players are surprisingly addictive.

green beret
I am to get in the PGM scene. I will get Demon Front, Martial Masters and Ketsui first. After that it comes Gladiator and KOV 9 Dragons, if I will be able to find the second. I will order a consolized PGM from Neotropolis outputting at least component signal.

Sensi
Never noticed the system and his games, but after some research I'm very interested in owning one. Do some of you have some tips where to get a consolized/supergun? Are there fake systems/games I have to look out for? Other tips and tricks are very welcome!

merlin
My PGM, which I recently sold, was consolized by Neotropolis. I was happy with it and it looked good but it only had two controller ports. If I ever decided to buy another CPGM in the future I would prefer to get one with four controller ports like Neros has.

Aside from Neotropolis and other ebay sellers I expect you could probably find someone on a forum such as Arcade Otaku or neo-geo.com who can consolize these.

Alternatively you could get a cheap supergun from this site instead:

http://www.smallc...-c-56.html

If you do buy a motherboard to use with a supergun it's advisable to either remove the battery or replace it because the original batteries are prone to leaking.

I've never come across anyone saying they bought a PGM cart and it turning out to be a bootleg so I don't think that's anything to worry about.

Sensi
Thanks Merlin for the link and info.
So if I order the Supergun Delux there, I only need a 22OV ATX power supply + protective case and I'm set for most of the games?

I already contacted Neotropolis and I'm confident they can assemble the perfect system for me. But it will be more expensive then.

cthulhu
My personal opinion would be to go for the Supergun...it's way more versitile than a consolized arcade system (and probably way cheaper). With the Supergun you have the possibility to play more games on different systems than only the PGM. Also you have the possibility to build an arcade stick with 6 buttons and connect it to the Supergun if you don not want to be restricted to Neo Geo sticks.
And yes, you would only need the ATX PSU (and some Neo Geo sticks)...no real need for the protective case to be honest, but it does look nice.

Edit: I'm just wondering how to connect a kick harness to this Supergun...JAMMA is wired for 3-4 buttons only, not counting the Atomiswave which uses 5 buttons through the JAMMA harness. So where do the button 5 and 6 for arcade joystick/ buttons (P1 BIS and P2 BIS in the manual) connect to?
Edited by cthulhu on 18. September 2014 21:41
My arcade stuff

Sensi
Thanks. A supergun with case and PSU is enough for now.
Hopefully the case is good enough to still reach all the switches and easily in use for inserting a game/board.

This may be a rookie question, but if I want to play for example a Atomiswave game. Is it possible to use a Atomiswave motherboard with a supergun?

How about this one, this looks complete:

http://arcadeforg...0b53cbe475
Edited by Sensi on 19. September 2014 16:26

cthulhu
I think it would be possible, but you do have to take into account that the Atomiswave is wired for 5 buttons through the JAMMA connector instead of the usual 3-4 buttons. You have to make sure that the controller ports on the supergun are also wired for use with 5 buttons.
I have a consolized Atomiswave that has Neo Geo control ports, button 5 is either wired to the start or select button. I can't remember which one but it works just fine.
With systems like CPS (1, 2 or 3), you have to make sure that a socalled kick harness can be connected to the Supergun/ arcade stick, because buttons 1,2 and 3 (punch buttons) go through the JAMMA connector and buttons 4, 5 and 6 (kick buttons) go through a special auxilliary harness called the Kick Harness. If I'm right, most Superguns have been designed to facilitate these kick harnesses. The MAK Strike looks like a very nice one and I think a lot of people use one of those, a very simple and very effective Supergun. I myself do not have any Superguns, but I do prefer the Japanese style...basically a control panel and Supergun in one...they're a lot bigger and heavier, but they mostly look (and play) great, also a lot more expensive (300-600 Euro).
My arcade stuff

Jump to Forum: