Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3670
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2467 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are some good Capcom fighting games besides Street Fighter?
marktheshark
I'am asking this because I don't really like the Street Fighter series too much. I don't hate it, it's just that it kinda feels bland in my opinion compared to other fighting game series. The only SF games that appeal to me are the Alpha series as well as X-Men vs. Street Fighter & Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.

Red Earth looks pretty interesting, with it's level-up system. The 1P mode kinda reminds of Art of Fighting 1, if anything. How good is this game?

How good is Cyberbots? I watched some videos & the music is pretty good.

I'm also thinking about trying out Darkstalkers 3, Rival Schools, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, & Power Stone 2 (I've played Power Stone 1 a long time ago & it was pretty fun).
Edited by marktheshark on 19. November 2011 08:46

reelmojo
You listed quite a few good ones. I definitely recommend Darkstalkers 3, Rival Schools, and Power Stone 2. Don't forget about Project Justice, which is the sequel to Rival Schools.

You may want to check out Pocket Fighter as well. It's deceptively complex and very unique. It's also full of fan service.

And then of course there's Capcom Vs. SNK 2, which is definitely one of Capcom's best... if only because it includes all of those SNK characters. LOL

NeoGeoNinja
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALREADY...
have most of the bases covered there Mark, with the likes of:

DarkStalkers (series), Rival Schools (series), XMen COTA, MSHeroes, Power Stone (series).

Yes, Cyberbots is great and well worth your time. As for Red Earth/Warzard, I don't own that personally and have only ever frequented it via emulation, so can't really give you a proper opinion.

Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure is good *if* you enjoy a more unusual fighting game experience (YouTube). Also, I'm quite partial to the Star Gladiator series too (on PS1, then DC).

Obviously I'm a big fan of the SF3 series myself (if you haven't tried it?) and also I rate the ORIGINAL/1ST Street Fighter EX+a for PS1/Arc too.

I'm also extremely fond of Capcoms: Capcom Vs SNK series too, but I seem to remember you showing disdain for that series from memory, so probably not best to go there...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

-SD-
Both the Power Stone games are absolutely fantastic. I really can't understand why they haven't been released on PSN yet? I remember the first time I saw a Dreamcast just after launch, and I really wasn't that impressed by Virtua Fighter TB, especially in comparison to Tekken 3 on PSone. However, a few months later I saw Power Stone running and my jaw hit the floor!

I have to agree that I'm not the biggest Street Fighter fan, although I really do like Alpha 3. The Vampire Hunter/Darkstalkers series is great though.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

1983parrothead
This list includes some of Capcom's fighting games, including one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread until now: their JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game.

http://www.racket...hters.html

Perhaps the least known Capcom fighting games would be the NES version of Trojan, which has a "V.S GAME" mode that technically(?) makes it Capcom's first attempt in the genre...

http://www.hardco...hters3.htm

...and Gekitou Power Modeler, which is an adventure RPG fighting game that was actually developed by Japan System Supply (known for the Chameleon Twist series, Chalvo 55 and the canceled Bound High), and later localized overseas by Sunsoft as Power Quest.

Intro ( Capcom version / Sunsoft version )

Combo Exhibition (Capcom version)
Edited by 1983parrothead on 19. November 2011 20:25

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
This list includes some of Capcom's fighting games, including one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread until now: their JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game...

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure is good *if* you enjoy a more unusual fighting game experience (YouTube)...

. . .

Oh.

Ninja

1983parrothead
s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/164/580/2K3Raphael_ohbrother_facepalm.png

lee gray
I didnt really like red earth too much and the presentation was dull. I loved Xmen COTA, some of the backdrops were pretty cool for back then. I still rate the underwater level as one of the coolest in a beat em up.

Final fight is some good fun.
Edited by lee gray on 19. November 2011 23:44

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/164/580/2K3Raphael_ohbrother_facepalm.png

... Grin

merlin
Warzard is a superb fighter Mark. The leveling up system like you said is a neat idea with your character gaining additional special and super moves and even better weapons (Tabasa and Leo) when they reach higher levels. It's a particularly good looking game too with some beautiful backgrounds especially the burning village and the castle. I do wish there had been a co-op mode and a few more characters though. Everyone should at least give this game a try!

Got to agree with Ninja about Cyberbots. Excellent fighter.

One game not mentioned yet is Slam Masters II: Ring of Destruction. Unlike the first Slam Masters title which is a typical wrestling game this sequel is a traditional versus fighting game. I haven't put a huge amount of time into it yet but I've been impressed so far. Well worth a look.

YouTube Video

I still love playing SF2 in it's various forms. It's not purely because of nostalgia I actually think it's still as good to play as ever and has stood the test of time. The SF Zero/Alpha series however is IMO Capcom's greatest achievement in this genre especially Zero 3.

Not to go off topic too much or make a big thing out of it but I did notice someone in the KOF XIII thread recently referred to Capcom as C*apcom. Considering all the wonderful games Capcom have given us over the years I don't think it's right to refer to them in this way regardless of any issues some people might have regarding their recent games and DLC.

Jump to Forum: