Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3659
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1965 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The sad shape of the shmup genre.
marktheshark
The shmup is not very popular these days. While it's obvious that they are not doing so well, the cause might not be so.

Back then, the shmups were doing much better. They have peaked during the NES & Super NES days, but starting in the PSX-Saturn-N64 days, their popularity is declining. One could argue that it could be because of the lack of exposure outside Japan. There was Sony's 2D policy, which prevented many games from leaving Japan. The Saturn wasn't doing very well in general and the N64 simply only had a few shmups (at least Starfox 64 is popular.) However, there was also the emergence of the "danmaku" patterns in which the screen would be covered in a whole lot of bullets.

The decline continued in the last gen & current-gen. By then, it was obvious that many people did not seems to care about shmups anymore, but why? Why is that shmups were popular during the NES & Super NES days, but not today?

Why are shmups so obscure today compared to the past? I think one reason why is that it's because of the "danmaku" patterns. After all, a game should be challenging, but not too frustrating. Another reason why could be because of the weird character design that's in quite a few modern shmups. Touhou is a prime example that has this. Many gamers would no doubt be turned off by the designs.

Those are just a few of the reasons that shmups are very obscure today. There are no doubt multiple reasons as to why shmups aren't too popular today.
Edited by marktheshark on 10. November 2011 07:25

NeoStrayCat
And your point is, although is a very niche genre, some people like it as well, a lot of people these days are just playing shitty FPS's these days that I never like, and it goes on and on.

Besides, the genre is only well known to a certain few, and for those people, its a habit for them to like/play it as well, besides don't forget and you certainly miss out putting in MVS/AES shmup games to the mix, and besides, its somewhat going through.

And the next time you put your 2 cents here, you'll understand this...

There's a community of shmup fanatics, deal with it.

(Not trying to vent, flame or anything, just being skeptic with the situation, is all.)
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
STE C
I suppose Sony could be partly to blame for the declining popularity of shumps in the West, but I also think when bullethell type games started to appear roughly1996+ I think the west struggled to adapt as they are certainly harder to play than the likes of 1943.Zero Wing Ect. The Saturn had plenty of great shooters that sadly never made it to the west and this combined with the lukewarm sales of the console could aslo be another factor, but then again Gigawing & Gunbird both made it to the UK on Dreamcast ( although I doubt they sold ).

I suppose you could say the same about 2D fighters as well but lie the shump genre sites and fans exist for instance this site here.

NeoGeoNinja
THE WHOLE CAUSE AND EFFECT...
as far as I can see is that Shmups were a genre of 'their time'.

Shmups are still the ultimate in Arcade style pick up and play gameplay, and that is where the problem lies, right there:

Gamers seemingly no longer EVER frequent arcades and they certainly are no longer after pick up and play values.

Fighting games are 'fine' as they successfully managed to migrate into 3D/2.5D since the PSX/SAT era, however, Shmups don't really have the same ability to migrate from 2D gameplay - different/3D GFX or not...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
The popularity of shooters predates the NES. Hardcore gamers of the late seventies and early eighties preferred arcade shooters because they were the only games (at the time) that involved intense action. As the eighties drew to a close, other action-oriented genres started to gain wind, namely the beat 'em up. I believe the action category has become saturated with genres (throughout the years) and they have stolen a lot of thunder away from the traditional shooter. Perhaps only those with fond memories of shooters in the arcades in the eighties still play them passionately. Ninja makes a good point about its close ties to the arcade.
Edited by shion on 11. November 2011 05:54

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
marktheshark
Ninja, just because the arcades are dead doesn't mean that the pick up & play style of games is also dead. If anything, quite a few of pick up & play games are some of the best selling games of this gen.

As for shmups, I think that they still have a chance of becoming successful. However, they'll have to change quite a bit. For starters, some of the weird stuff like the "danmaku" patterns and weird character design have to go.

The Stray wrote:
And your point is, although is a very niche genre, some people like it as well, a lot of people these days are just playing shitty FPS's these days that I never like, and it goes on and on.

Besides, the genre is only well known to a certain few, and for those people, its a habit for them to like/play it as well, besides don't forget and you certainly miss out putting in MVS/AES shmup games to the mix, and besides, its somewhat going through.

And the next time you put your 2 cents here, you'll understand this...

There's a community of shmup fanatics, deal with it.

(Not trying to vent, flame or anything, just being skeptic with the situation, is all.)

Stray,

I'm not attacking the shmup fans at all. I understand why people enjoy them. I just want to know why the genre is not as popular as it once was.

NeoStrayCat
I know, I was just lol-ing myself with frustration, but not really, but don't worry, the shmup legacy continues on.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Jump to Forum: