3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3658
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1869 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
World Heroes games... Lets talk about them...
NEO-GEO man
I thought it would be good to have a chat about these 4 games and see what you all like and what you dont like about them, and any tips you may like to share etc...

I have 1 and 2 and 2 JET, i spent alot of time with the first one and got to be quite good at it for a long time, havent played in months though now, and Gemant beat my best score!!

I do like number 2, but i find it VERY hard, it is just not what i seem to excel at. 2 JET, love it for some different things it has in it, and im a huge fan of little sub games within fighting games!! I dont know if 2 has something like this, i have never ever beat more than 2 people in a row... Shameful as that is when i can smash the hell out of number one!!

And is World Heroes Perfect really just that? Ive never played it yet. I havent had time to buy more games lately so ive been sticking to what i have and going through them all instead of trawling ebay Wink

So what does everyone else think?

merlin
Good topic Neo Geo Man. Thumbs Up I love the series in fact it's the reason I got into Neo Geo in the first place. The first game in the series made a huge impression on me in my local arcade.

Although I love them all World Heroes 2 has always been my favourite. I also like those bonus stages Neo Geo Man and actually WH2 has one more than WH2J. I felt Jet was a bit of a step backwards from the previous game. Getting rid of the fun death match mode was a mistake and the forging of warriors mode is a bit pointless. The overall presentation, intro and soundtrack were better in WH2 as well. The final battle in WH2 against Dio in the ruins of the Colosseum for me is one of the all time great Neo Geo boss encounters.

World Heroes Perfect is generally regarded as the best in the series. It is a fantastic game with excellent graphics and more depth to the gameplay than previous titles including increased scope for combos. However the death match mode is still missing and none of the music is particularly memorable unlike in previous games. The AI in WHP is a bit weak and the cpu opponents don't put up that much of a fight. Also I think it was a mistake to have three punches and three kicks when the Neo Geo only has four buttons. I dislike having to press two buttons at the same time for a heavy punch or kick. A KOF style control scheme of two punches and two kicks would have been better for WHP.

As for the difficulty of WH2 yes it is known as being quite a tough game. Captain Kidd is particularly annoying! It's hard to avoid being thrown by him. I would just watch some playthroughs Neo Geo Man. I'm sure it won't be long before you start doing a lot better. I know Gemant is an expert at these games. It's only a matter of time before he knocks me off the top spot in the WH2/WHP HSCs!

This is a pretty cool WH2 video that shows some useful techniques.

http://www.youtub...27IcQdohgA
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Loris Biaggi
merlin wrote:Also I think it was a mistake to have three punches and three kicks when the Neo Geo only has four buttons.

This is a really important point.I feel like playing street fighter 2 on a 3 button genesis controller. This is the reason why samurai shodown 3 and 4 are my favourites of the serie.
WHP is a great game, really good looking, great stage backgrounds, it would be "near" perfect with 4 buttons moves.
When Capcom wanted us to believe that we couldn't live with less than 6 buttons (f**k you kick harness), World Heroes showed us that you can play perfectly with 2 (+1).
This is the main feature of WH.
I don't remember another fighting game who can be played on a standard 3 buttons jamma cab... do you know any other?
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
imageshack.us/a/img832/3766/qyg.gif

merlin
I agree Virtual Boy and that's also one of the reasons why I too prefer Samurai Shodown 3 & 4. (It doesn't make sense for a weapon fighting game to have three kicks anyway) Obviously the developers must have felt that since the Street Fighter games had six basic attacks they ought to do the same thing.

Virtual Boy wrote:
I don't remember another fighting game who can be played on a standard 3 buttons jamma cab... do you know any other?

The first Fatal Fury game also only uses three buttons.

I was just wondering has anyone here ever been playing World Heroes Perfect and had to fight the hidden character Son Gokuu? I've played the game a lot and he's never appeared even once. Are there any special conditions that cause him to appear or is it completely random?

reelmojo
Virtual Boy wrote:I don't remember another fighting game who can be played on a standard 3 buttons jamma cab... do you know any other?
Unless you just mean NeoGeo games, Asura Blade and Asura Buster only use three buttons. And they're both awesome.

That's really all I can contribute to this thread right now. I have barely touched the WH games. They're on my list of fighting games to try out in the near future though.

NEO-GEO man
Thanks for the video, ill watch that soon!!

I love the first game, and i get through it very well, especially on death match.

Ive never really understood the forging warriors mode on JET, what is that all about?

I too love the death match mode, and the hold for hard hit and tap for quick hits is great. One thing that i loved about the first is the fact i can kick very quickly with Dragon, which i cant seem to do on 2 and 2 JET. All this does is means i cant catch out someone and keep hitting them, they can block inbetween hits really easy by the seem of it...

NeoGeoNinja
HEY NEOGEOMAN...
I have made it NO secret in the past, that I am a reasonably sizable fan of the WH series.

For me, WHP IS the pinnacle of the series, however, playing it on an MVS/AES is more difficult due to the SS1/SS2 style 6-button(?!) system in place.

However, when I play it on my PS2 anthology(s), using a 6 button layout via the Saturn controller (I own for PS2) is simply blissful.

WH2 & WHJ are also awesome, and so could the 1st game... if there was a speed adjustment/option.

Great game and well worth you attention/time. Personally I like them in reverse order best Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Loris Biaggi
reelmojo wrote:Unless you just mean NeoGeo games, Asura Blade and Asura Buster only use three buttons. And they're both awesome.

Thank you for the tip! I want to make a crusade against the six buttons games Wink
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
imageshack.us/a/img832/3766/qyg.gif

NEO-GEO man
No worries Ninja, i dont have an issue with the button system if its the same as Samurai Shodown, that works ok for me.

I havent got a chance to get in and have a few rounds yet, ive been so damn tired after work each day last few days!!

lee gray
Back when I had my AES I use to get certain carts like Shodown and world heroes 2 without ever playing them in the arcade...The day WH2 arrived I loved it to death, it was excellent, everything about it I liked apart from the difficulty,I could never beat ryoko or kim dragon without continues, its certainly the hardest but the best presented.
2 jet had some great cut scenes and if the background music would have been different for each level with the backdrops from the previous game it would have been better.
Didnt like perfect much as was just boring.

2 rates as one of my top 5 neo games

lee gray
merlin wrote:
I agree Virtual Boy and that's also one of the reasons why I too prefer Samurai Shodown 3 & 4. (It doesn't make sense for a weapon fighting game to have three kicks anyway) Obviously the developers must have felt that since the Street Fighter games had six basic attacks they ought to do the same thing.

Virtual Boy wrote:

The first Fatal Fury game also only uses three buttons.

I was just wondering has anyone here ever been playing World Heroes Perfect and had to fight the hidden character Son Gokuu? I've played the game a lot and he's never appeared even once. Are there any special conditions that cause him to appear or is it completely random?
I hadnt even known this so i just checked it out as i never ever fought him and this page tells you how and you just have to do the 3 special stage tasks http://www.gamefa...faqs/46646 I cant try it now as dont have the game no more, would have been fun to see those special extras
Edited by lee gray on 13. November 2011 09:42

merlin
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Ive never really understood the forging warriors mode on JET, what is that all about?

Actually I was wrong to say it's pointless since it is after all the versus mode. In single player it's sort of like a short practice mode. Been a while since I've played Jet but I seem to remember there was only one piece of music during the Forging of Warriors mode. That would get a bit repetitive if you were playing a lot of matches in versus mode. On the plus side Ryofu's stage with the boats and the London rooftop stage of Jack do look amazing.

Although I prefer WH2 there are some new things I really like in WH2 Jet too like the bull fighting bonus round, additional moves, three new characters and the slightly faster game speed. Not too keen on the new look lifebar and timer though, those looked better in WH2.

lee gray wrote:
I hadnt even known this so i just checked it out as i never ever fought him and this page tells you how and you just have to do the 3 special stage tasks http://www.gamefa...faqs/46646 I cant try it now as dont have the game no more, would have been fun to see those special extras

Thanks a lot for the info Lee! Thumbs Up I've always wondered about that.

NEO-GEO man
Yeah i have tried it at one point and it seemed to want me to select who i fight each round, and i could just keep fighting the same person over and over again?? I remember i pressed reset at that point and went back to normal play mode, cause i didnt see the point in playing it that way.

Is there a way to complete it on forging mode??

merlin
After four matches in single player mode you get an ending saying your training is finished and you've been chosen to take part in the 'Battle of the Ages Blood Match' in Detroit.

NEO-GEO man
Oh ok, i might have to give it a shot!!

peiper
WH 1 and 2 are very nostalgc for me having played them so much in the arcade when it came out...loved the characters coz most of them are based on real person... right now WHP is my favourite of the series...

Jump to Forum: