3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 3601
Thread Info
There are 26 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6475 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Matrimelee
Horrible. Horrible. 0%[0 Votes]
Not great, but playable. Not great, but playable. 13%[2 Votes]
Pretty damned good. Pretty damned good. 38%[6 Votes]
One of the best on the Neo. One of the best on the Neo. 38%[6 Votes]
Best fighter ever! Best fighter ever! 0%[0 Votes]
I wanna marry Sissy! I wanna marry Sissy! 13%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 16
 Print Thread
Matrimelee discussion thread
reelmojo
Welcome to Game of the Week!

For the fifth game in the Power Instinct series, Noise Factory used the fast paced engine they developed for Rage of the Dragons and brought the series kicking and screaming onto SNK hardware. Matrimelee is in direct competition with Waku Waku 7 for the title of "Weirdest Neo Geo Fighter."

Matrimelee

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/NG4LGOTW/250px-Matrimelee_insert.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 646 Megs
Released on: MVS, AES, Playstation 2

Brief Description:

Matrimelee, the fifth game in the Power Instinct series, brings back the series' trademark wacky humor while elevating the gameplay to new heights. A year after the events of Power Instinct 2, the king of Certain Country wants to find a worthy successor for the throne. He wants the ideal husband for his little daughter (or a beautiful and strong woman for his older son) so he holds a fighting tournament where the prize is the hand of the princess and the throne succession.

Screenshots:

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/NG4LGOTW/matrimelee-10.pngi43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/NG4LGOTW/matrimelee_shin_gouketsuji_ichizoku_toukon.png

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/NG4LGOTW/ikari.gifi43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/NG4LGOTW/Matrimelee202.gif

Reviews:

Matrimelee review by Kazuya_UK

Matrimelee review by Raiken

Power Instinct series retrospective on Hardcore Gaming 101

Videos:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...post_53192

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 KOF '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
Edited by reelmojo on 16. October 2011 05:09

valgalder
I like it a lot.. cool music, great graphics, interesting characters.. fluid combat system.

LIFE_IN_2D
I wanna marry Sissy! Pfft
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 09. October 2011 14:43
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

GeeseTheDuck
As a PI fan, I may be slightly biased by saying that this is definitely one of the Neo Geo's best. It's such a huge improvement over its predecessors,
however, I did miss the transformation feature.
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
NeoStrayCat
To me, its damn good, other than the inclusion of RotD characters in it, its one of the good NG games out there, except that Sissy is cheap sometimes, SNK Boss Syndrome does it again.
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
reelmojo
I think everyone needs to at least try Matrimelee. It's so odd, and it does so many unique things that everybody should experience it. A good example of the game's uniqueness is the soundtrack. How many other fighters can claim to have this many vocal songs in them? Even more impressive is the fact that it's able to do that on a cartridge based system. Plus, often times the music syncs up to the background, which is just ingenious. In fact, the karaoke bar stage is one of my favorite stages in any fighter. SNK later did the same thing with Rose playing the piano in the background during the fight with Adelheid in KOF'03.

Geese, you may already know about this, but if you miss the transformation feature you could try out Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (or Power Instinct: Liberation of Lusts). It's basically an update of Matrimelee. They added the transformation feature as well as Angela and Kinta, and there's a new storyline but other than that it's got the same characters, stages, and gameplay of Matrimelee. It's on PS2, but only in Japan of course.

cthulhu
Matrimelee is a great game, I love it very much...I even bought a new copy of this game. It's a typical Power Instinct game, except for the said transformations (I don't really miss them in this game though). Most of the characters have great designs, only a few have a bit standard/ weak design. The graphics are very good, but I do think that the game would be a bit better if they had a bit more variation in stages, a bit too many stages are a variation of the arena design, I especially love the Chinnen stage. The music...well, it's brilliant...so extremely funny and it's great that most songs fit in with the stages and indeed have great timing with stage actions...pure brilliance. Shame though that the sound quality isn't that high, bit it doesn't really bother me that much.
Yes, Matrimelee is a fantastic game, but I recommend playing the Japanese version only because the Euro/ USA version has different and extremely boring/ generic music...I even had problems with failing music when playing the Euro version.
Oh yeah, Sissy isn't that difficult if you figure out what her routines are...her AI is cheap, but also full of exploitable routines, which makes her relatively easy to beat.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
I really like Matrimelee too. What makes it stand out is the presentation with all the perfomers in the back ground, and like Cthulhu says the music is amazing. It plays really well too. Great game! Sissy is a bit annoying at the end though, i agree with that Smile
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Its a decent game no doubt but like Waku Waku 7 its not really my cup of tea as comedy fighters have never really appealed to me. Same can be said for the Darkstalkers games which I do slightly enjoy but the whole over the top stuff ect puts me off a little. Still Matrimelee is a good fighter and worth trying for any fighter fan although it is a very expensive game to buy.

NeoGeoNinja
WOW! IT'S NICE TO SEE...
so much love for this game on the whole. I really thought it would have fallen into many a persons 'too obscure' category, but glad to see that isn't the case.

It's great, great game with a nice diverse cast of characters and styles, moves etc. arguably, Super Clara would have been a nice inclusion somehow.

The inclusion of the ROTD characters is a real nice touch too, although, I'd argue, I'd rather they would have JUST included Billy & Jimmy instead of the chosen 4. It just would have been much cooler overall imo.

Also, as Cthulhu has stated, Sissy is a cinch ONCE you master each workaround per charcater. For me, Chinnen is by far the easiest character to beat her with - using his mock 'Hien Shippu Kyaku' to repeatedly beat her into he ground Wink

'One of the best fighters on the Neo'...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Tobalman
To be brutally honest, this game is OK, but I'm going to be one who considers it too bleh to really get into.

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Murikov
A brilliant fighter by the well-known creators of Sengoku 3. What's more to say? Yeah, the terrific soundtrack (with "Let's go! Onmyoji" leading the way), crazy PI /RoD characters and a fast-paced, fun gameplay.

Just as you guys mentioned, the only flaw is the variation of background stages, the Arena gets a bit annoying after a while. I wonder if this is related to the game making the most of the cart's memory (so it was only possible to make several versions of the very same stage).

However, nonetheless a "Pretty damned good" fighter with a story about an annoying little brat in a pope get-up...
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

Xian Xi
It's an ok game, I'd rather play ROTD honestly. The overdriven sound samples in both games are a headache though.

Raiken
Love this game. I'm honestly not as into the other PI games as I am this one though. I thought the inclusion of the ROTD characters was a neat idea and I'm glad this got a ps2 port. It's a shame ROTD never did.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Kazuya_UK
Wow hey Raiken good to see you posting again dude! Thumbs Up

I absolutely friggin love this game, as I'm sure you can see from the review I did! It's not overly complicated but it plays brilliantly, has a good combo system and the sense of humour throughout the game is fantastic. As people have stated already the soundtrack is pure unadulterated brilliance, so much so I actually own the OST CD, which isn't something I can say for many games. I did actually buy a brand new copy of this on the MVS for a lot of cash, although after playing it to death I did sell it on for around the same amount... even if I hadn't for me personally it would have been worth the cash.

One regret I have is that when we updated the site a few years back, I never got the Matrimelee combo guide back online. I am thinking that this needs to be remedied as I am sure I still have all the files for it. For those that haven't seen it, it was a combo guide for all characters that had screenshots and more... any interest in it being re-instated?

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Kazuya_UK
Wow, see the attached file... I do indeed still have it!!! Do you remember us working on this Raiken? Smile It wouldn't be too hard for me to get this back online if anyone wants it, would be well worth it especially as it's currently GotW! Headbang

There is also a section that lists Sissy's weaknesses when fighting the CPU, she's actually pretty easy. I have beaten her on level 8, so if I can do it anyone can! Wink

Kaz
Kazuya_UK attached the following image:
matrimelee.png

Edited by Kazuya_UK on 13. October 2011 19:13

Kazuya_UK
Oh and for those that want to know what the lyrics in the game are about, I re-uploaded mine and tsukaesugi's lyrics guide Smile

http://neogeoforl..._guide.txt

edit: I am part of the way into re-instating the guide, it's actually online already but I won't publish it until all the pages are formatted correctly as they are still formatted for the old version of NGFL... won't take long though. Hope you guys find it useful! Smile

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 13. October 2011 22:38

reelmojo
I'm definitely interested in that guide, Kaz! I've been playing the game a lot to better my score for the HSC and I'm really growing to love it even more.

Kazuya_UK
Worked a little bit more on it tonight, it's getting there! Smile

Kaz

neoman
Terry
Just brought this game from eBay yet to play it what can I expect from this fighting game any body thanks

Jump to Forum: