Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Glowsquid
Thread ID: 3523
Thread Info
There are 39 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 16453 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Regional Differences
Xian Xi
This is a great thread. Thanks for putting in the work to gather the info guys.

Now I know why when I play Fatal Fury I sometimes can't pull of any moves in the US version. My local arcade had a MVS cab but it had a JPN bios so I grew up doing the JPN moves. Wow, never knew that.
Jamma Nation X
JNX Lazy Finger Rapid Fire Device for Neogeo and Superguns, On sale now!!

Glowsquid
I too find the Japan Fatal Fury moves much easier than the U.S/EUR ones, the game is just not very good at recognising going from one diagonal to another (or at least, that's how it seemed last time I played it).

I've updated the OP with stuff from Ninja Commando.
Edited by Glowsquid on 14. June 2012 03:48

DarakuTenshi
I only own the Japanese one so I can't speak for the US region. I didn't notice any difference from the arcade version though. To pull off the moves you have to be very precise and make sure you hit every directional. After you get used to it, it's very easy to pull off. But, it sure is not like playing Street Fighter II.

merlin
Here are a few more regional differences not mentioned yet:

The Super Spy

In the US/EURO version the boss Pink always wears white panties while in the JPN version
there are 5 different colours: white, pink, purple, white with red polka dots and red with
yellow polka dots. The panty colour is random. No I haven't been 'perving' while playing The
Super Spy, I read about it in BBH's informative and entertaining guide to the game.

http://bbh.marpir.../superspy/

Samurai Shodown 4

The Korean version 'Legend of a Warrior' has no intro, speech has been cut from the game and Gaira's name has been changed to Kim Ung Che.

The Last Blade 2

Last Soldier 2, the Korean version, also has no intro and speech is cut from the game.

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

Speech is cut from the game in the Korean version.

http://www.neo-ge...Cartridges

Matrimelee

The US version has a different soundtrack from the JPN version.

(from Kaz's review)

In US mode, all of the tracks with lyrics are removed and replaced by the songs normally used for just the RotD characters, and one other track. While those tracks are quite good, it totally sucks to play through the game with just them. They even changed the music during the end credits to a really lame and annoying one (the normal one is a remix of all the songs in the game).

Money Idol Exchanger

(from Wikipedia)

In the American and European arcade versions, the coins are made to look generic. In the Japanese version of the game, the coin is localized and looks much more like a yen coin.

Glowsquid wrote:
Metal Slug (whole series)
This one is pretty well-known, the western versions censors the blood to be white “sweat”. This can easily be changed in the dips setting.

I think it would also be worth mentioning the other games with blood censorship Glowsquid
e.g. Samurai Shodown series.

Glowsquid
Thank you Merlin, I added all of those to the OP. I actually had read about the Super Spy thing tdby but I figured I should as well add it alongside something less weird.

I think it would also be worth mentioning the other games with blood censorship Glowsquid

I thought of making a "censorship" section listing what games are censored on western bios and how (green blood, white sweat, removal of stuff, etc)... I'd need a list of games beside MS/SamSho that are censored, though.

NeoStrayCat
Well, don't worry merlin, I was planning on thinking about something like this for a long while, but a lot of stuff gets to me lately to not actually get it done, this will warrant a separate thread soon (if necessary), but in the meantime, there's more regional differences to spot on. In which both of these Q/A are pretty much graphical changes.

Such as KOF 2002.

Whip's "Super Black Hawk" HDM.

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/attachments/02dif1.png
(JP version, pulls out the magnum from the chest like Mai, and puts it back same way.)

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/attachments/02dif2.png
(EU/US version, different animation, transformed whip gun hybrid.)

Also, most common, from KOF's 2000-03 (and SVC Chaos) Mai's "Bounce" is not in EU/US versions, except the JP one, but at least Unibios, cheats, and/or region switching isn't a problem for that.
NeoStrayCat attached the following images:
02dif2.png 02dif1.png

Edited by NeoStrayCat on 17. January 2013 08:33
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
merlin
Thanks for updating the thread Glowsquid and thanks for your contribution too Stray.

Glowsquid wrote:
I thought of making a "censorship" section listing what games are censored on western bios and how (green blood, white sweat, removal of stuff, etc)... I'd need a list of games beside MS/SamSho that are censored, though.

Sounds like a good idea. Here are a few more games in which the blood is censored.

Art of Fighting 3 - US AES
The King of Fighters '94 - US AES
The King of Fighters '95 - US AES
Legend of Success Joe - US AES
The Last Blade 2 - KOR
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special - KOR

Some more regional differences:

Fight Fever

In the Korean version there's a Korean flag on the title screen instead of flames.

http://thumb.eglo...55a3f4.jpg

Samurai Shodown 2

The title screen of the Korean version has a different background and there's no sound during the intro.

http://tcrf.net/S...I_(Arcade)

The Last Blade

In the Korean version the names of some characters have been changed:

Akari Ichijou --> Choi Jae Eun
Genbu no Okina --> Kang Tae Kong
Juzoh Kanzaki --> Back Chon Ji
Kaede --> Kim Doohan
Keiichiro Washizuka --> Yagyu
Lee Rekka --> Hwang Bi Hong
Shigen Naoe --> Kwa Ji Mo Do
Shinnosuke Kagami --> Mr. Bin
Yuki --> Kelly

http://tcrf.net/T...e_(Arcade)

Top Hunter

The Japanese home version has cheats to increase the number of credits and also add extra moves for the Robo Vehicle.

http://tcrf.net/T...ifferences

Neo Turf Masters

The courses are in a different order on the course select screen in the US, EURO and JPN
versions.

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

The continue screen in the EURO/US version is different from JPN version.

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/us-euro_zpsfb36d16c.png

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/jpn_zps2064c95e.png

Glowsquid
Thank you again Merlin, I added all of these to the OP.I'll try to make the list of censorship later.

Didn't know TCRF also dealt with regional differences. That'll certainly prove to be useful.

merlin
A few small additions to this thread:

Shock Troopers

The blood is censored when playing with a Euro BIOS by default which also means you can achieve a significantly higher score. It's possible to have blood in the game by changing the soft dip setting.

Neo Drift Out

The US version is easier to complete than the JPN/EURO versions and it's possible to achieve faster times.

Can anyone think of any other regional differences not mentioned yet?

It's been quite a while since Glowsquid visited the forum. Hope he will return one day.

Pity that most of the image links on the first page don't work any more. Photobucket>>>ImageShack

Glowsquid
merlin wrote:
It's been quite a while since Glowsquid visited the forum. Hope he will return one day.

0w0

Hi, sorry for not keeping this thread up to date.

Imageshack was always the shittier image dump, but I used it since it had the easiest and quickest "uplad multiple images at once" add-on. I've had to switch computer since last login-in here, but I'll try to upload the surving material to imgur as soon as possible. Don't think I'll bother to reupload the high-scores pictures though, soz.

(Btw, how does not having blood mean you can score higher in Shock Troopers? Been a while since I played the game...)

merlin
Good to hear you will try to re-upload some of the images from the first post.

Glowsquid wrote:
(Btw, how does not having blood mean you can score higher in Shock Troopers? Been a while since I played the game...)

I don't actually know why it makes a difference to scoring. I just read about it in the description of BBH's youtube video:

This score was done with the "Blood" softdip turned on, which is the default for US/Japan bios. On a Euro bios, the default setting for Blood is off. This actually makes a huge difference in terms of scoring potential. (I have gotten 37.6 million with the Blood setting turned off, but I do not feel this score to be valid because it is not the true default setting IMO)

LIFE_IN_2D
Even though Magical Drop III has been mentioned already, there is one huge difference that hasn't been pointed out.

Each character in the JAP version has it's own voice. The characters say different things depending on your (or CPUS) actions.

In the EURO various characters share voices.

In the US version there are even less voices and most of the games voices are replaced by a very boring announcer voice.

YouTube Video

Euro^

YouTube Video

^Japanese

Needless to say, the Japanese version is the best, as it is WAY more enjoyable when each character has their own voice and sayings.

Also, in "Challenge" mode, you only get character specific endings in JAP region.

-----

Also there are a few games that have completely different intros from AES to MVS. Only two I can remember at the moment are Mutation Nation and Sengoku.

Anybody else know any more?
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 15. November 2014 19:04
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Glowsquid
All the missing images have been reuploaded, and I've added Merlin's and 2D's contributions to the OP, along with another difference I've noticed in Neo Drift Out. Thanksie everyone ^_^.

I've figured out why BBH said the No violence setting in Shock Troopers mean higher points: Most of the enemies grunts die in one or two hits, but you can keep shooting at them for more points. With the Violence setting enabled, they have various random death animations which will make them drop immediatly. Since these animations don't exist with Violence off, you can shoot at them longer for more points.

Also there are a few games that have completely different intros from AES to MVS. Only two I can remember at the moment are Mutation Nation and Sengoku.

Cyber-Lip is another.

Hm, anybody up for a thread listing notable differences in AES vs MVS? : D

merlin
Thanks for the Shock Troopers info and for re-uploading the images Glowsquid. Thumbs Up

merlin
There are some regional differences listed on this page including some not mentioned in this thread yet e.g. in Baseball Stars Professional, Double Dragon, Sonic Wings 3, Samurai Shodown 5.

http://mvs.arcade...

The Fight Fever one is wrong though. Crystal Legacy was the original title for Breakers.

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:The Fight Fever one is wrong though. Crystal Legacy was the original title for Breakers.

Didn't know that.

I actually though Crystal Legacy WAS an alternative title for Fight Fever.
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
If you do a google search for Fight Fever and Crystal Legacy you come across quite a few places (e.g. rom sites) listing it as the same game. Not sure why this misconception spread. You can see the 'Crystal Legacy' title on a flyer for an early version of Breakers.

http://www.neogeo...ers/cl.jpg

NEO-GEO man
The names of thecars are different in the Japan region of thrash rally

merlin
As mentioned by Gemant and Neo-Geo Man in the high score thread, the default difficulty setting of the JPN version of Fatal Fury is level 4 whereas in the US/EURO version it's level 5.

Gemant's useful master list includes all the JPN default difficulty settings.

http://www.neogeo...erlist.asp

Jump to Forum: