Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3506
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4743 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Pointless Achievements On Current-Gen Systems
RiKo
I'm not sure what they are called on other systems but on the Xbox 360 you get various Achievements for doing certain things within a game. For example : for completing 10 levels without using your gun or one just for finishing the game. When you get an acheivement you are given some Gamer Points - the total of which goes on your Gamer Card and I presume is meant to give some indication of how good a gamer you are?

Of course some (actually most) developers spoil the system by giving out achievements for doing ridiculously easy things. Lets name and shame them Smile This is for any console which offers a similar reward system. I really want to hear what the most easy + pointless one is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had Super Streetfighter IV for a little but i have only been playing online so the online achievements are the only ones i get. But the other day i finally decided to choose an icon and a slogan for my online profile (within the game) - took all of 30 seconds - and i got an Achievement for doing this! What had I achieved exactly?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
I agree Rkio they are a complete and utter waste of time and actually piss me off when they pop up in the middle of a firefight or when I am really it a game. It would not be to bad if the gamer points you scored could actually be used as credit/money towards downloadable content or games this would actually make sense.
Say you enjoyed and skillfully completed a certain devolpers game then wouldent it be nice if you could spend some of that or at least get a minor discount on any extra downloadable levels. Would that not make you perhaps loyal to that studio and give you an incentive to buy the next game the studio releases, maybe I am talking shite but it sounds like a reasonable business idea to me. I always assumed the first business ethic was look after your customers and they will return to spend.
Edited by STE C on 03. September 2011 15:18

NeoGeoNinja
I KNOW YOU CREATED A THREAD HERE...
called "The Pointless Achievements On Current-Gen Systems" whilst attempting to single out specific ones, that are deemed 'more' pointless via their ease of accessibility.

However, the BIGGEST irony of this whole thread is that... Achievements, regardless of how they are attained, are completely pointless and a waste of anybody's time.

Why anybody EVER places any importance on these, I have no idea. I have, several times, encountered PPL who have bought specific titles due to the amount of attainable Achievements, regardless of whether the game was terrible or not!

Similarly, I know people who have unintentionally bought a turkey of a game, to STILL play through it several times and online JUST to extract all of the achievements from it!

If that's 'your' thing (lol, not you specifically RiKo) then, err... great. But personally, I really don't get it.

Unless, like STE said: there is an actual reward for all the hard work. Any 'trophies' (PS3) I have unlocked have simply been along the journey. Nothing intentional.

I CANT REMEMBER WHICH GAME IT WAS...
but there was one i played not long ago that gave me an achievement JUST for powering up the game for the first time! Roll Eyes

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Smile

Not to derail, but I gotta agree with what's been said and say that achievements in general are garbage, but we'll save my rant for another thread (oh, there already is one?!)

I know of a few on the iPhone/iPad... The fact that the BTStacks team built-in achievements into their emulators (Mega Drive, NES, etc.) makes me want to castrate (violent, I know) the people keeping this idea alive. It's stupid, every day crap too, like in metroid, find the first tank. Then, there are the achievements for official game APPs. To get the ball rolling, there's the "get one million coins challenge" in KOFi. It would take between half a year to a whole year to get that, and that's if you played religiously. Who has that much time to waste? Playmore, I love you guys, but, seriously, WTF?
Edited by shion on 03. September 2011 17:10

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Glowsquid
Of course some (actually most) developers spoil the system by giving out achievements for doing ridiculously easy things. Lets name and shame them

Sonic's mildly adequate rom dump-uh, I mean ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION has one for talking to another dolphin in Ecco.

One of the Madden games has one for buying it (... or renting).

candycab
I too am one who thinks these things add nothing to gaming but I see the point of it all. Its definitely a marketing gimmick to prey on those who have a compulsive nature. I think they are stupid and have been asking for a way to turn them off since day one.

Still.... its almost good for a laugh when people post their "Gamer Card" etc in their forum signature, first thought that comes to my mind is something like .. What a Tool ! Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Honestly if I could strip half the "features" out of the PS3 XMB I would do it in a second, pretty much the same with the 360. I haven't bought another one since mine went the easy bake oven route but last time I used one I couldnt believe how retarded the interface got. Looks like more marketing BS
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Ninja wrote :- I CANT REMEMBER WHICH GAME IT WAS...
but there was one i played not long ago that gave me an achievement JUST for powering up the game for the first time!

that would be a good one lol. I had a feeling i got one for selecting the storage device at the start of the game once - but i expect i imagined that. I would love a game to be really ironic and just offer them for everything haha

Tobalman wrote :- To get the ball rolling, there's the "get one million coins challenge" in KOFi. It would take between half a year to a whole year to get that, and that's if you played religiously

yes exactly, I hate those kind of badly thoughtout achievements too. why would you do something that isnt fun? mind you i remember on Playstation if you played through MGSolid a few times you could play through it again - but Snake would be wearing a suit. Not much of an incentive either imo.

I dont remember any of my achievements either otherwise i would have some good ones to post too. I think I remember at the start of Limbo i went left (instead of right) and picked up some item and i think i got an achievement for that. which seemed stupid at the time. I could be wrong about that though *sigh*

I agree that achievements as they stand are usesless. But im going to go against general opinion and say i actually think they are a good idea if done properly. If they just had a few which required some genuine skill - e.g. 1 credit finish Metal Slug or achieve some kind of high score in a shooter. It would actually mean something if you got them. It *is* Microsoft and Sony's (+Nintendos fault if they have them too ) fault because they have to approve all the achievements as part of the approval process for each game. So they have final say. At the moment i agree that it has become or *was* a way to get some people to buy more games. I say 'was' because I cant see it being sustainable in that way.

CandyCab wrote :- Still.... its almost good for a laugh when people post their "Gamer Card" etc in their forum signature, first thought that comes to my mind is something like .. What a Tool ! Whatever floats your boat I guess.

hey i posted my gamercard! It depends why you post it or even why you assume people posted it. I dont have many gamer points (I actually think my gamer points are low) so i certainly didnt post mine for that reason.....However if i did have a huge number of gamer points I would still post it. If people think I am showing off then that's their problem not mine Smile

I know on 360 you can turn achievements off so they dont appear on the screen (in the main options menu). I imagine then you would know nothing about them, unless you specifically went and looked.
Edited by RiKo on 04. September 2011 22:55

candycab
@RiKo
PS3 wont let you disable them at all..... When I see people post them it just comes off as a "My Weiner is bigger than Yours" sort of thing. At least the X-Box shows what you have been playing. The PS3 only shows Trophy info so I don't see how posting it could be anything but ego. Hmm

I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

shion
Speaking as a retro gamer, I totally agree with the general consensus that most achievements only make a game less fun... However, I can see other side of the coin; back in the day games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had nice "achievements." They were genuinely rewarding and actually made the game even more fun. Of course, back then, we didn't call them the A word, we just called them cheats I think? Also, the old magazine Nintendo Power used to print trading cards every once in a while. On the back of the cards were editors' challenges for said games (beat Zelda with x hearts for example). Those were fun because they were one off challenges. Nowadays, it seems the concept itself has become oversaturated, IMO.

Many of the achievements in the games that came out this year on the iPhone are very annoying. I especially dislike the ones that are gotten simply by beating the game on easy/normal/hard. I mean, the game was beaten, so what an achievement isn't necessary.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Kazuya_UK
I'm going to offer a slightly different viewpoint on this. I agree that on the whole, a lot of them are pointless, and some are so mind bogglingly insane/time consuming that only someone with an incredibly compulsive nature, or too much time on their hands would want to get them. However, on the other hand, some can actually be pretty good fun and something to aim for.

For instance, I regularly play Left 4 Dead 1/2 either via a lan party, or over Xbox Live. It tends to be just a fun experience, but we did go achievement hunting for a while, trying to get some of the ones that need good teamwork. On Left 4 Dead 1 there is an achievement where you have to complete the finale without any of the team taking damage. It's obviously very difficult without cheating your ass off, but after trying on and off for a couple of weeks, we finally did it and although none of us care about the addition to our gamer score, it was very satisfying to finally do it... cue much fist pumping and "FUCK YEA" shouts from all four of us in the room at the time. Sad, but true... Pfft

A lot of developers do them very lazily and just put in an achievement for the most random/mundane things, which is probably as a result of Microsofts demand for all games to have them, whether the developers want them or not, but when done properly they can be kind of fun. Although none of my friends are serious about them, it is also kind of fun to have a bit of banter between us about who has the most achievements on games we are playing together. But the people who seriously think having lots of gamer points makes them a better gamer are the new equivalent of people that used to go "ooooh look at me and my fast Internet connection!!!!" back in the day before cable Internet was common place.

REMEMBER KIDS: THE MORE GAMER POINTS YOU HAVE, THE BIGGER YOUR PENIS IS!!!!

LOL

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 05. September 2011 18:53
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
reelmojo
How can some extra goals that are completely optional in a game make it less fun? If you don't want them you can ignore them. They are simply a way to get extra fun out of a game by guiding the player to do things he might not have normally done. Beating Mirror's Edge without firing a shot is a great example of an extremely fun gameplay experience that I would have never had if they had not made an achievement for it.

And I like it when people post their gamercard because then I can see what they've been playing. It's a nice quick reference of what type of gamer they are.

I don't have much time now so I'll post some lame achievements I've found later.

RiKo
I am just on quick tonight but i checked over some of my achievemneets today and my favourite was one i got for performing a roll in Afterburner Climax !!?!!

I also got one for completeing the tutorial in Mirrors Edge. (mind you as someone who got stuck on the tutorial in Assassins Creed i probably should be very proud of that one)

RiKo
back now Smile

Candy wrote :- @RiKo
PS3 wont let you disable them at all..... When I see people post them it just comes off as a "My Weiner is bigger than Yours" sort of thing. At least the X-Box shows what you have been playing. The PS3 only shows Trophy info so I don't see how posting it could be anything but ego. Hmm

I think a lot of people probably do post them to show off. Although as we have been saying - we all know a lot of the achievments are so pointless - its hard to show off about gettng them now. I posted mine because I have actually bought some games in the past when i have seen people playing on them a lot. Usually with people there is quite a gap in what they say they play and what they actually play. But with the Gamercard - you can see exactly what they actually *do* play. Also people sometimes ask to play me on games that they can see i have from my gamercard. Like the other week Merlin and I had an online battle on Outrun. I presume he knew i had it because of my Gamercard.

Apart from all of that I am actually also just interested in what people are playing on current-gen consoles, so i figured other people would be too (like Mojo just said). I didnt know the PS3 one just had trophies, there might be alternate cards you can get that show different things? (I had a few choices with my card below)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was right about that Limbo Achievement i mentioned earlier - you get one called 'Wrong Way' for going the wrong way at the start. (basically you go left at the start)

reelmojo
In Limbo's defense, it's such a straight forward game that it was probably hard for them to even get the standard 12 achievements out of it. Fantastic game though.

The easiest ones I can think of off the top of my head are pressing start on the title screen in The Simpson's Game (although that one is actually called "Worst Achievement Ever" so it's clearly for comedy), and of course all of the achievements in Avatar: The Burning Earth. When that came out game designers weren't sure how to utilize achievements yet so you can actually get all 1000 points in like the first minute of gameplay.

RiKo
haha thats more points than i have now! That game looks rubbish as well.

yes Limbo is a great game Thumbs Up I think its on PS3 now too - everyone should buy it. i also got an achievement for exploring the trees - that one was a bit rubbish too.

Murikov
I never really cared about this step backwards in Gaming history. Very few games might have useful achievements (actually I don't know about any) but generally spoken, no *astard needs them.

And I agree with you Mojo & Riko, Limbo is a brilliant platformer although pretty a short one (I only needed 2 hours to get through). It proves that a good game's development doesn't have to cost loads of cash to be really good. EA, Ubisoft & Co. should definitely learn from these Danish guys. Thumbs Down

I got it recently for PC on Steam for about $10, which is a very reasonable price for it imo. I remember of getting like 5 achievements or less, of which all of course are pointless as we all know.

img261.imageshack.us/img261/1126/ryo.gif
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Jump to Forum: