Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 3504
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4696 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Do you still play NES games
Hell yeah! I play them on the original hardware Hell yeah! I play them on the original hardware 83%[5 Votes]
Hell yeah! I play them on an emulator Hell yeah! I play them on an emulator 17%[1 Vote]
NES...Whats that?! NES...Whats that?! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 6
 Print Thread
NES 25 years in SWEDEN...today
priest
Its been 25 years since NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM (NES) was first released in my homecountry SWEDEN. And the NES still have a solid fanbase, both here and around the world. I still to this day play on my NES frequently...And hope to be doing so for years to come.

I own the same PAL NES as when I (my parents) bought it for me back in the eighties. Since then I have added a region free NES which I play som of my import games on. I have some games left even though I sold my MEGA MAN collection this past summer, Iīll never sell my whole collection though as I still enjoy playing the games.

My favorite games (some of them atleast):

Gun.Smoke

Kung Fu

Metroid

The Legend Of Zelda

The Adventure Of Link

Super Mario Bros

Whats your relation to the NES and whatīs your favorite games...?

How tough are NES games...Ha! forget that 360 or PS3 would take this treatment and still work:

YouTube Video

The birthdaychild of the day Flowers :

www.blacknerdcomedy.com/wp-content/uploads/nes.jpg
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
hitorkori
wow that vid was great had one bk in day loved tnmt pack in mario/metroid ku fu master rc pro am & so many others good times sadly i have none of it gave it away years ago

cthulhu
The first console I've ever owned...I still have quite a large amount of games for the NES. I don't play it that often, but it's still a great console with a huge amount of brilliant games.
Happy (Swedish) birthday!

Edit:
Favorite games:
- Castlevania
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
- Metal Gear
- Faxanadu
- Mega Man 2
- Snake Rattle N Roll
Edited by cthulhu on 01. September 2011 16:59
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
Whats your relation to the NES and whatīs your favorite games...?

HAPPY SWEDISH BIRTHDAY NES!...
GunSmoke on the NES looks pretty cool Priest, but I don't own it myself. I also like SMBros like yourself, and like Cthulhu, I have Castlevania high on my faves list too.

My relation to the NES is atypical childhood one. I went from owning a 2600 (@5yrs old) to a C64. The time I got my 64 was when the 'newer' White models came into play. It came with that 4x game cart and I received Shadow of the Beast, Robocop 2 & Chase HQ on cart too! Not bad, eh? Another friend of mine (from a wealthier background) had acquired his A500, about the same time I got my C64... jammy b*stard! We used to play on his Amiga a lot and I have many fond memories of playing Dynamite Dux, Shadow Warriors, NARC etc at his, whilst we should have been out enjoying the Summer Sun! Anyway...

I made friends quickly (being a child!) locally and two 'newer' friends I became acquainted with BOTH had NES'. Something I was pretty unfamiliar with at this point. Anyway, I ended up round at their houses 'to play' and I remember first being overly impressed with *drum roll* the control PAD. Wow! It was actually fantastic, and probably at the time had wondered why this had never been done before. Not only that, it had TWO buttons and a Start/Pause button!

The console looked cooler than anything that had gone before it and that was BEFORE I had even played any of the games. between them (they used to swap/borrow games amongst themselves) I was treated to the likes of Double Dragon 2, which I have ALWAYS been obsessed with ever since, and also Metroid, SMBros, Castlevania, Ikari Warriors (prior to being an SNK fan), Mega Man, A Boy and his Blob... and many more.

I definitely preferred this infinitely over my own C64 and was rather jealous. I also preferred it to my friends Amiga too. The games on the NES were just so well made, had amazing music, great playability, cool design and it all just felt like PURE undiluted quality oozing through that screen. I always wanted one, but the NES passed me by at that point in my life - owning one, I mean. I did eventually swap my C64 for an SMS Mk2 with a load of games, but it didn't meet the NES' standards for me I'm afraid. The SMS' games just didn't capture like the NES' had - better graphics or not etc.

I eventually scored a NES in a swap at highschool, at the tail end of the SNES & MD era, just on the brink of the 3D gaming revolution. I still have that NES now (Duck Hunt pak) and a reasonably well rounded game selection, which has recently been trimmed down Smile

AS FOR MY TOP TEN...
Double Dragon 2
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Double Dragon
Double Dragon 3 (you're sensing a theme here, right?)
Castlevania
Blue Shadow (Shadow of the Ninja)
Shadow Warriors
Power Blade (MegaMan clone)
Super Mario Bros
Rad Racer

Honourable Mentions: Excitebike, Isolated Warrior & Jurassic Park (best version imo!)

Long live the NES (please?! Pray )
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

cthulhu
...I forgot about Double Dragon II...awesome game, way better than the arcade version.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
cthulhu wrote:
...I forgot about Double Dragon II...awesome game, way better than the arcade version.

^This... 100% Agree... FACT... Quoted For Truth... Etc Etc

You get the idea. Best Double Dragon EVER though, although Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance come quite close Smile

Ninja

Murikov
Thanks for announcing that occassion, Priest. I liked that demonstration vid as well.

I remember playing the shit out of my best friend's NES back in 1996 (yes, we still had a blast although 16-Bit and 32-Bits consoles were minimal standard back then).

We enjoyed particularly titles like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Adventure Island, Kirby's Adventure or Burai Fighter. Back then we only were 5 years old and didn't have any console else to play with. Furthermore Arcades were pretty rare in our small village so after all the NES was the only amusing piece of hardware and remained as a enjoyable ray of hope for better Gaming days... until soon after we got our Gameboy, but that's another story.

Nowadays I hardly ever play some NES titles on a PSP emu, but I limit myself to a handful of games.

Favorite NES titles so far are:

Super Mario Bros. (of course)
Burai Fighter
Battletoads (never beat that hard-as-ass game)
River City Ransom
Super Contra
Batman - Return of the Joker
Ninja Gaiden
Power Blade
Shatterhand
Shadow of the Ninja

The Mega Man and Castlevania series are great as well, but I never was too much into them.

With this in mind, Happy Swedish Birthday, NES.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

-SD-
The NES was the first console I ever played. It was my mate's and I was about 7 or 8 at the time. I ended up getting the set with Mario/Duck Hunt for my 9th Birthday.

I have some fond memories of playing through the Megaman and Mario series, RC Pro-AM, Snake Rattle n' Roll and to this day I've never beaten Castlevania.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEOâ€ĒGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

reelmojo
25 years later and people are still making great games for it! That just goes to show how much love their is for the NES.

Honestly though, if Super Mario Bros. 2 was the only game ever released for it it would still be worth the price. What price? ANY PRICE!

I kid, but seriously SMB2 is still definitely in my top 5 games of all time. It might actually be number 1.

-SD-
Are we talking Doki Doki Panic or the real 'Lost Levels' version of Mario 2?
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEOâ€ĒGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

NEO-GEO man
Wow youre really putting this thing up on a pedestal here!!!

I have a NES with a heap of games, 2 controllers and the grey Zapper gun, and yeah it is great, no doubt about it!! But better than a Master System? GET REAL!!!! HAHAHA!!!

Out of all the games i have for this machine, i reckon SMB 3 is the best i have, it is a truly great game, although it gets too hard by about half way through and its just not good enough for me to go back often enough to get good enough to finish it.

I really love Duck Hunt, playing this on a 120 inch projection screen with the Zapper is awesome. But it gets very boring very quickly cause it is so repetitive. By level 20 it is a real arm socket ripper on such a big screen when those ducks move so fast, and by then youre dead set sick to death of shooting ducks anyway!!

So to some it up abit, Mario bros 3 is great, but Sonic is way better and lots less repetitive. Duck Hunt is great fun but comes in very small doses, not only does Safari hunt beat it hands down, the light phaser is a better gun than the zapper. The NES is really touchy when it gets abit of age on that cart edge connector... The Master System works perfectly every single time, year in, year out.

I love the NES, it really is great to play, but when we were all kids, it was certainly alot more fun to repeat every level 20 times than it is these days, i dont mind repeating levels if im starting from the start, but i prefer not to do it multiple times in the same game when im still progressing!! ( such as Mario, how many levels are there REALLY if you dont count the ones that all look the same as a previous level? )

I have got a bunch of SNK games for the NES, as well as a few other great titles Smile

reelmojo
-SD- wrote:
Are we talking Doki Doki Panic or the real 'Lost Levels' version of Mario 2?

Doki Doki Panic. In fact, because it's a little bit harder I actually like DDP better than SMB2USA.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
better than a Master System? GET REAL!!!! HAHAHA!!!

BETTER...
not technically, but in terms of the library of games on offer.

It's ALL subjective of course, so let's not get opinions confused with facts.

You prefer the SMS... I prefer the NES... we BOTH love the NEO•GEO...

Nothing more to say really Smile

Ninja

NEO-GEO man
Not not alot more can be said, youve pretty much summed it up with that comment!!

priest
Whhhew! Good to see that no one opted for "NES...Whats that?!" in the pollThumbs Up

Itīs nice to read about your relation to the NES and your favorite games.

Neo-geo man: You are ofcourse free to prefer the mastersystem to the NES...We wonīt think less of you because of this...Well maybe a bitWink

This weekend there was even a small gathering to celebrate this occasion, the get together was held in GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN. Sadly I didnīt have a chance to participate.

Some pics from the event:

http://www.dropbo...f12c4&
Edited by priest on 04. September 2011 21:16

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
This weekend there was even a small gathering to celebrate this occasion, the get together was held in GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN. Sadly I didnīt have a chance to participate.

LOOKED LIKE FUN PRIEST...
shame you were unable to attend. I also noticed the names 'WERY' and 'ILDUCE' kicking around the highscore tables etc. Hmmm... Hmm

Ninja

priest
Thats very observant of you, Ninja...

Yup "wery, Il duce" is a member of NGFL. "Pinge", the guy who bought two of my pinball machines frequently showed up on the photos tooSmile
Edited by priest on 05. September 2011 20:51

Jump to Forum: