Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3499
Thread Info
There are 31 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7795 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Seems so quiet on here at times...
NEO-GEO man
I see a heap of people have been here today, and not really much activity!!

What do we need to do in order to get abit of involvement!! There must be something to generate abit more interest.

I havent been able to play the NEO-GEO the past couple nights due to injury, but i might be able to have a crack later on.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I see a heap of people have been here today, and not really much activity!!

What do we need to do in order to get abit of involvement!! There must be something to generate abit more interest.

I havent been able to play the NEO-GEO the past couple nights due to injury, but i might be able to have a crack later on.

YEAH, I KNOW DUDE...
I always make sure I come on a couple of times a day to check what's what, and most times a couple of different topics have been hit upon. Then, at the times where I expect that, and have little time to spare... *BOOM* I have around 10-15 'tabs' open in my browser to look over.

A lot of people (in general, not just here) operate an "only reply if" policy. I tend to enjoy looking over everything an just getting involved, just like a normal conversation I guess. Personal preference really, but I usually like to give a moments thought about most subjects and issue some form of reply - but never anything irrelevant, or for the sake of it. After all I enjoy 'being' here and getting involved, so it's my choice really, I guess.

I admit, I contribute as much as I used to a few years ago when I joined. I DO have a tendency to sit back and await activity before responding, as opposed to being pro-active (with topic generation etc). I have made a few threads this year, but pretty much all of them crashed and burned apart from the 'Yellow Console' thread, which became several pages worth for the wrong reasons. It can't be helped I guess. It IS a Neo•Geo site after all, and sometimes the topics I have brought up are not really of interest.

RiKo is our best contributor to the discussions imo. He always brings up a new thread every so often that creates good, thoughtful and fresh discussion, often getting people to think about subjects etc that people have never really considered before. Not only that, he also, is one of those individuals who puts a good quota of replies etc in.

I could be wrong in saying this, but I think you are the LAST newest member we have had for a while who has become an actual regular here Smile

WE DO have decent regulars though! Although, I could probably count on just less than 2 hands who they are. What can I say though? It's quality... not quantity! Cool

AS FOR YOUR INJURY?...
lay of the 'mags' will ya?! Wink

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 31. August 2011 10:37
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NEO-GEO man
Mags you say? In Australia, mags is a shortened term given to alloy wheels made either of magnesium, or magnesium alloy. It somehow gets very heavily mis-used by alot of people here that "think" they know abit about cars, and then every wheel on a car that is of an alloy material becomes a "mag wheel"... Used to have alot of people comment on the wheels on my Corvette, more than half would call them mags, yet they were not mags, they were aluminum.

So with that said, i am not sure how car wheels could be the cause of a badly bruised hand!! Wink

Yes i have noticed that hundreds of views on posts and also on threads, and no one seems to want to bother to post anything. This is the sort of thing i not only find frustrating when i do offer to contribute something, but i find it plain ignorant and rude. I offered 2 or 3 times to upload some semi custom and correctly sized AES inserts, and no interest at all, until i stated that i didnt think id bother due to this apparent lack of interest.

I do very much love this forum alot more so than any others, cause apart from the other NEO-GEO forum, this is the only one i frequent i a regular basis. I pick up alot of technical info there at times, or have done in the past.

Having said that, i dont understand why no one feels they can make a new thread or reply to an age old thread if they have a question or something to say.

I am aware that there is a ton of dickheads on other forums that will jump up and down the second anyone posts in a thread that is more than a few months old, and will jump up and down again if someone starts a new thread and there may have been a prior thread about it..... So what if there was!!!

As for high scores, i dont know why that doesnt flourish in a huge way, it is the best f***en high score section ive seen on any forum, and very fairly run too. Everyone has a chance to at least get a name up on the board, even if they cant get to the top. Sometimes on some games this is not easy to do!!

Murikov
I see you point and agree pretty much with you and Ninja about the rather reseved posting policy, NG-Man. During my time here I noticed that posts rather get more replies if it's a pretty curiousity provoking topic concerning SNK/Neo Geo, new members or if your post first gets replied by certain recognized members which roll on the discussion further.

Others just might not reply in order to avoid spamming threads with unnecessary trivialities (in their view). Or some just might not reply due to their silent consent.

@Ninja: Completely agree with you on Riko, he always heats up discussions. He definitely is one of these members who keeps this site alive.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

peiper
i love to lurk around but don't post often because english is not my first language...perhaps that is the case with some of the other members too?

LIFE_IN_2D
As somebody who frequents this site fairly often, I'd just like to say it's hard to find common interest besides the Neo-Geo here.

Everybody has their own personal preferences, even when it comes to gaming. Gaming probably accounts for about 75% of the discussions here.

Example: I have absolutely zero interest in current generation gaming, which people often discuss here. This actually limits my posting a lot.

I've tried a few times to make "off topic" threads. But they seem to die, as most members show little to no interest.

In all honesty I think the lack of activity on NGFL is directly related to the number of active members. Currently, there is only a hand full.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 01. September 2011 05:04
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

reelmojo
Sometimes I don't post because the things I would have said have already been said and just posting, "uh... yeah!" seems pointless.

This is why Game of the Week coming back is good. It can only be quiet around here for so long before a new GOTW and HSC start.

And as far as the High Score Challenges go... I've been practicing on Pulstar. Long ago I announced that it was my goal to 1CC that game. I'm still a long ways off from that, but I know with practice it will be possible.

Oh, and if you see a thread from a long time ago that interests you, post! No one is going to complain if you bump a thread so long as you actually have something to say about it. This especially goes for threads that were made before you were a member. For example, if someone started a thread three years ago asking people to list their all time favorite game I think people would be interested to hear what you have to say whether or not you were around back then.

NEO-GEO man
Mojo, post your scores as you go, it makes the forum at least LOOK more active!!

LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
As somebody who frequents this site fairly often, I'd just like to say it's hard to find common interest besides the Neo-Geo here.

Everybody has their own personal preferences, even when it comes to gaming. Gaming probably accounts for about 75% of the discussions here.

Example: I have absolutely zero interest in current generation gaming, which people often discuss here. This actually limits my posting a lot.

I've tried a few times to make "off topic" threads. But they seem to die, as most members show little to no interest.

In all honesty I think the lack of activity on NGFL is directly related to the number of active members. Currently, there is only a hand full.

That is exactly why there is a loack of activity. If there isnt much to start with, and only a couple people try to generate interest, nothing more comes of it, which is what we see here.

2D, i havent been interested in anything later than the Saturn/N64/PS1/3DO era, almost every game ive played after that, and even alot on those consoles are way too involved to be good fun for me.

Im all for the older stuff. Its what i do.

peiper wrote:
i love to lurk around but don't post often because english is not my first language...perhaps that is the case with some of the other members too?

Im from Australia, so im not english either!! If you want to get better at it, practice, no one will care if youre english isnt great, and i have never had an issue with it!!

reelmojo
Because Pulstar lets you pick which stage to start on I'm practicing later stages so I don't get surprised when I get to them in an actual run. This tends to result in lower scores, although I'm absolutely sure I could beat my old score now. Trust me, once I feel confident that I can get a good score I'll go for it and post the results. And if I ever do think that I can actually 1CC it I'll try to record my play through.

Also my AV cables for my AES should come any day now so I'll be looking to get on the leaderboards for Blue's Journey and Magician Lord soon.

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Example: I have absolutely zero interest in current generation gaming, which people often discuss here. This actually limits my posting a lot...

I CAN ALSO...
relate to this point somewhat too. I do have a couple of current gen machines (well, the PS3 at least!) but struggle to relate to them passionately enough to discuss them at length.

reelmojo wrote:
Oh, and if you see a thread from a long time ago that interests you, post! No one is going to complain if you bump a thread so long as you actually have something to say about it. This especially goes for threads that were made before you were a member. For example, if someone started a thread three years ago asking people to list their all time favorite game I think people would be interested to hear what you have to say whether or not you were around back then.

NOT A BAD IDEA...
I should probably take a look through sometime. I'll bet there's plenty I'd like to have input on. M-KOF did this for a while, and I quite enjoyed it, looking over the old stuff etc Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
This site tends to go through phases of activity and then zilch for a while so dont worry to much things will pick up and I guess we are all responsible for how it pans out We all have flashes of constructive comments and new threads on the cards im sure for the future. I agree with Ninja go look at older threads and make comments on any of interest as this often recharges old debates and makes for interesting reading.
Like Ninja I also love looking through old posts.

I realize from my point of view I am not as active as what I once was but I guess that comes with me simply being out of ideas on the NG front as I simply have asked all the questions and made all the threads regarding the NG I can think of. Last year I also had the luxury of completing my collection of MVS carts which as I feared has made my interest in the NG wane due to me not actively collecting anymore. I dont think I have started a thread this year regarding the NG but I think ive came up with a few decent ones concerning games in general which is what I hope to continue doing.

I dont think SNK has helped by slowly cutting its games division and only releasing 1 new game a year but the likes of NGDEV are still carrying the torch.

I still check this site twice a day and read almost every new post but for me the site has eclipsed being not just a NG site but a site where I have dear friends which I love to discuss any subject as friends do. I find it interesting getting to know people personally and think the site has a lot of life in it for discussing the NG and anything else. What has been a little disappointing is a few new members joining who initially seemed like great guys with a genuine interest and the potential to add something to the site only to disappear forever. anyone remember Dean.

and yeah Riko is the man, this is maybe Kaz's site but Riko's contributions are outstanding and always of interest to me.
Edited by STE C on 01. September 2011 18:43

NEO-GEO man
No cant say i do remember Dean.

It sure does seem like there is a few of us here that player the older games that are not just NEO-GEO, so id say from my point of view there is more common interest.

I personally have no interest in what SNK released after the NEO-GEO, unless it was a re-release of a NEO-GEO game.

RiKo
Thanks very much for the nice words Ninja and Murikov + Ste, really nice of you to say that Smile its because I have a big mouth on the internet, and lots to say (not so much in real life though lol). It's weird cos i dont play that many games just at the moment - I spend most of my time trying to make my own slightly dodgy ones - but i still like to talk about them loads.

Neo Geo Man wrote :- I am aware that there is a ton of dickheads on other forums that will jump up and down the second anyone posts in a thread that is more than a few months old, and will jump up and down again if someone starts a new thread and there may have been a prior thread about it..... So what if there was!!!

I totally agree about this, even if we have already done a thread its good to have a discussion again. I know my opinions change over time and we have new members who want to discuss things. Also i quite like discussing the same topics again and again lol

2D wrote :- Example: I have absolutely zero interest in current generation gaming, which people often discuss here. This actually limits my posting a lot.

NG Man i havent been interested in anything later than the Saturn/N64/PS1/3DO era, almost every game ive played after that, and even alot on those consoles are way too involved to be good fun for me.

Off topic I know and maybe a future point for discussion but I actually find that strange (not in a bad way). I just mean strange to me. The 2 consoles i play on most are Neo Geo and 360 at the moment. I find they complement each other really well. It's quite hard for me to understand how someone could be really into games but then just cut themself off from the latest examples - they are still well....video games! I remember the Neo Geo itself being criticised (unfairly but maybe with some justification given how much it cost) in its time for great-looking but rubbish games. You have to remember here the £150 Blues Journey was probably being compared to a £40 Sonic/Mario World. There is no doubt a lot of today's games are too involved and lack creativity/imagination but there's some really good ones you can get too. It's also been amazing to see 2D games creeping back this gen too -although i dont believe they are up to the standard of old just yet - maybe next generation?

STE wrote - What has been a little disappointing is a few new members joining who initially seemed like great guys with a genuine interest and the potential to add something to the site only to disappear forever. anyone remember Dean.

yes this happens lots, there seem to be lots of people who have contributed for a few months and then disappeared:( does anyone remember Eccentric Cat? (haha, dont worry cat just joking). When i came here i can remember lurking for a bit before i joined and in particular i can remember seeing 2D and Cthulhu, Boogie, Merlin + Priest all posting. good to see you guys all stuck around Thumbs Up

EDIT : actually it may be partly a young person thing, because if you are really into Neo Geo when you are 16 - well you change your tastes a lot hugely at that age. So its quite possible you will just drop it when you move into the adult world with all its distractions. Where as someone in their mid-twenties and they are still into games - its unlikely they are going to lose enthusiasm at that point.
Edited by RiKo on 02. September 2011 14:20
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
shion
My two cents: speaking as an active member for 4+ years (and lurker for 5+ years), it really isn't slower than usual. This is the way it's always been since as far back as I can remember. I've sort of grown used to it. For one thing, most members are nearly 30 or older and don't have time to hang out on a forum for a couple hpurs a day... On the other hand, if it were more busy, there would be a ton more kids fillings our ranks, which I'm glad there are not. I'm really here for fellowship, not noob questions and dumb ass kid behavior.

P.S. I do remember Kaz being more active in earler years though...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
arcadematt
Used to spend a lot of time here but as a Coin op fan the neo geo is a small fish in a big pond. I hope it picks up as i love the neo geo and remember some of you from 2008-09. Having 2 kids (3 next year yeah) a games room full of arcade machines and a job which i spend just as much time driving as being an electrician. Im very busy and i guess as we get older we focus on different things. I still play on my 6 slot cab but prefer early 80's games/ machines. I am in the process of converting a early 80's cab from a American Poker II conversion cab into a vertical jamma cab for games like Terra Force and Slap fight. You can usually find me at jammaplus.co.uk these days. Hope it picks up soonSmile

NEO-GEO man
Matt, its a good job that, im also an electrician Wink

candycab
heh I think 99% of my posts are all in the "Unrelated" section Smile I have time to lurk and post and try to pass through every few days but it doesn't always happen. Not really posting on forums much anymore. Mostly I think its due to the medical cocktail I am on as it just takes away a lot of energy and ambition in general.

Some days its tough to want to concentrate on reading or even gaming. Its really slowed down my workouts too since I feel kinda sluggish and unmotivaed most of the time.

I do enjoy reading the goings on of the regular crew here and its been great to see new members crop up fairly often. I try to post when I feel I can add something helpful to the discussion. Banning spammers is fun too Smile
Edited by candycab on 03. September 2011 09:25
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

arcadematt
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Matt, its a good job that, im also an electrician Wink

Very good job. If i was 20 years older i would have liked to have worked in the coin op industry. I wouldn't want any other. Being a electrician is very handy

Crag
I try and get on here as much as I can but other commitments keep dragging me away Annoyed

The ever present admin tries to fill me in on whats been happen but I dont even see him that much now
Edited by Crag on 20. September 2011 20:01
img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/craghimself/he-called-his-wife-a-bitch-get-it.png

cthulhu
Heh...to be honest, I've gone back to lurking here a lot (I read this forum everyday), like I used to do before joining a long time ago and I basically only post when something interesting (for me at least) pops up.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Jump to Forum: