Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: yf19a
Thread ID: 3487
Thread Info
There are 25 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7137 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Very old Neo Geo fan Please read if you like AOF2
yf19a
Hi Guys

I am obviously a new member here. Have been reading NGFL for a long time now but finally decided to join after reading AOF2 game of the week article. I made a post in there.

For all those people who have mentioned how difficult AOF2 was/is, I am stunned by it. For me it always has been one of the easiest games to beat as the AI is completely stupid and I mean from first person to Geese.

Now, I assume you all (being Neo Geo experts) know what I am referring to. Dash, Dash, BC, Throw, super move>>> AI dizzy >> super blow move >>AI losing 60-70% power Smile pattern. Everybody in arcades knew this pattern. You can try whatever moves you like to experiment if it feels like you are losing the round just rinse and repeat the pattern!

Sorry I had to get this out of my system as I never saw it mentioned anywhere when AOF2 is being talked about.

NEO GEO history

I first saw NEO GEO AES in 1991 middle-east. It was about $500 at least over there and the very first game I saw was Fatal Fury. It was probably around $150 maybe. I was so poor back then as a kid and could not even buy Super Famicom with SFII let alone anything on NEO GEO AES. So I wished and dream on day after day.

My only pleasure in early 90s is mostly related to joyful time provided by MVS arcades, which surprisingly were not expensive to try. The first Neo Geo game I ever played was AOF1 in 92 I think and saw FFII somewhere around the same time. SFII was all the rage in middle-east and south east asia back in the day so that is what most of us saw and played but as the time went on around 93 there were a lot more MVS arcades to go to. FF special was a big hit and so was Samurai Showdown.

Although back in the day 92-93 in Middle East and especially in South Asia like India-Pakistan the arcades were not really fancy as they were often in west or even in richer Middle Eastern countries like UAE. In Indian Subcontinent MVS was extremely popular and was as much as most people could think of being fancy for an arcade. Machines like Sega’s and Namco’s fancy driving, flying and shooting were far outside the reach of a common arcade in Indo-subcontinent.

So MVS was all there was and we the poor kids loved it. It was only SFII or SFII CE against all the variety from MVS. It is VERY difficult to explain the environment of arcades of late 80s early 90s to younger kids today who are raised in the era of online gaming. There used by be lines of people at least 7-8 in VS matches with games like AOF2, FF special and Samurai Showdown. Like I said SFII was much more common so the demand for MVS in arcades was much higher than any other games.

I cannot speak for Arcades in other regions of the world but in Pakistan and some Afghan areas if there was an arcade its success purely depended on whether it had and MVS and what games were on it. There is no question or doubt about it. MVS system ruled the arcades and mind of gamers in every possible way. Sadly, AES was nowhere to be seen except whenever I travelled to richer Middle-eastern countries like UAE, Bahrain, Oman etc. is where I found AES at. Mainly, because over there you could find people willing to pay $500 for the system and $150-$250 for a cart but that would be plain suicide as a business plan in Pakistan-Afghan area. Actually, still is in most areas lol!

Around 93’ I finally acquired a SNES and was in heaven with a SFII copy in 94’ but sadly all the Neo Geo conversions were awful for me at least. Naturally, they lacked all the beautiful graphics and sounds for which I admired Neo GEO over SNES or Genesis.

You truly have to live in that era to understand the significance of the phrase “Arcade Perfect” completely. No joking, it is not like a zen koan but it meant something very specific and unique back then. In this age of internet emulators, super consoles and mega advanced online gaming where arcades are a thing of the past the term “Arcade Perfect” has very little to no meaning.

See back then, there was Neo Geo which was delivering something “Arcade Perfect” and then there was everything else. Every SNES and Genesis conversion of Arcades was far short and was always seen as watered down version and was an accepted reality by gamers because there was nothing else. I honestly do not think gamers today would ever be able to accept such watered down versions at home systems, heck I think it is the other way around now where Arcades have fallen behind the home gaming and PC market in quality and visuals, at least for most games.

In 94 AOF2 game and solidified my love for Neo Geo fighting games forever. I played AOF2 heavily against other players and against AI. Of course in late 94 PS and Saturn were released and the hype around them was unbelievable because it was seen as they will change the face of gaming forever…drastically and that they did indeed.

In early 95 I saw KOF 94 in MVS with some of the biggest lines I have ever seen to play that. It was a love at first sight. After seeing many MVS fighting games, I could immediately tell that this game will be big. It was beautiful and unlike anything we have seen before. Later in 95’ I played KOF 95’ and it cemented any remaining doubts in the mind of gamers that SFII era was gone. I always saw Virtua Fighter in early 95 for first time in Middle East and It was very expensive to play. It attracted huge crowds in arcade but as I mentioned these fancy games were still far away from poorer countries.

I finally owned used AES in 95 PAL system with King of Monsters and Eightman as my first games. It was around $200 and an enormous amount of money for me. They guy who sold that was because he couldn’t get any decent AES games. I sort of knew this but after buying it and realizing that it was a hard reality I was very frustrated because there was no way to convert MVS to AES and as much as I knew before buying AES, there were no fancy games (AOF series, SS, FF etc) available. In retrospect I should have spent that money on getting a MVS converted for PAL TV or monitor back then. Now, this was a conversion that was available back then and I hated myself for buying an AES.

In 96 I came to US for education and stayed here since then after becoming a proud US citizen. So after that the whole Neo Geo thing died out for me in a way. Firstly I did not had any time for games and secondly even that PAL Neo Geo was useless in an NTSC country and especially in mid-nineties. I eventually got SS II and FF special as carts around 2000 and hopelessly tried to enjoy them in fuzzed out black and white distorted image that my NTSC TV could play. Finally after 6 years of no joy and extreme collage related financial struggle I sold my AES in 01’.

So long story short I have a long history with Neo Geo but my knowledge really goes as far up to 98’ at most. I am an old school gamer who likes slower speed in games and thoroughly detest the “diarrhea of moves” in turbo speed that later capcom and SNK games featured. So for me it is always KOF 94, 95 as some of greatest Neo Geo games, followed by 96,97 and 98 at most.

Anyways, there is a lot more to this story but oh well.
Thank you all for creating this wonderful Neo Geo community
Regards

NeoGeoNinja
YOU'RE A FIGHTER JET, RIGHT?...

*looks it up*

Ah! You're a Macross fan! See... you 'had' me for a moment there. I actually did think for a moment, that perhaps you were some US Stealth aircraft prototype I had never heard of (Like the YF23 - Black Widow etc). There is an RF19 though... again, I don't ever think it made it past prototype. Yeah... you're YF reference to '19' threw me completely... now I know why!

This is some childhood aircraft geek sh*t coming out of me here! I apologise Grin

WELCOME TO NGFL...
I hope you enjoy mingling with us lot here. We'll certainly do our best to make you feel at 'home' Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Welcome. Smile

It was heart warming to read that the MVS was the standard where you lived. Indeed, stories like yours solidify my belief that the Neo-Geo was truly the people's champ: quality and value, that's what it really was (and is) about, yes?

I agree, The kids today simply don't understand the significance between arcade games and console games. Just be glad you got to experience them. You are among like-minded individuals here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
yf19a
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
YOU'RE A FIGHTER JET, RIGHT?...

*looks it up*

Ah! You're a Macross fan! See... you 'had' me for a moment there. I actually did think for a moment, that perhaps you were some US Stealth aircraft prototype I had never heard of (Like the YF23 - Black Widow etc). There is an RF19 though... again, I don't ever think it made it past prototype. Yeah... you're YF reference to '19' threw me completely... now I know why!

This is some childhood aircraft geek sh*t coming out of me here! I apologise Grin

You nailed it. I am a aviation fan and wanted to be a fighter pilot sadly I had medical issues that made it impossible to go through centrifuge-G testing. I believe 30sec 9G for USAF (F-15 or F-16 profile) and 7.5G for USN and USMC F-18 or back then the great Tomcats. Ah!!!

Macross is one of the early anime loves I had.

1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Welcome. Smile

It was heart warming to read that the MVS was the standard where you lived. Indeed, stories like yours solidify my belief that the Neo-Geo was truly the people's champ: quality and value, that's what it really was (and is) about, yes?

Thank you for your kind words
Edited by yf19a on 24. August 2011 21:41

Harv
Great post, really enjoyed reading it. I did live in that era and you just brought it all back to me.

Welcome to the forum.
img18.imageshack.us/img18/6889/10dz7yf.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/2dharv/
peiper
hello and welcome...

your country situation were a lot like mine ( indonesia circa early - mid 90's ) so i can relate to your story Smile

aof2 is one of my favorite games too.. Smile

NEO-GEO man
Do you play AOF 2 on 130%??

Murikov
Hi yf19a and welcome to NGFL.

I was actually glad to read your story about the MVS's development in the Indian Subcontinent / Middle East. It must have been a blast for humble kids to enjoy such awesome titles and to invest their little money into it. While regular western players were going crazy, trying to beat the third character in AoF2, in your area all kids knew everything about the AI and even could take Young Geese in one's stride. I imagine it must have been a similar if not more extreme situation in Japan / Hong Kong, but the differences between West and East might have been huge overall.

Thanks a lot for contributing your insights from the past and the tactics to beat every AI enemy. I assume we all from NGFL appreciate that. Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

yf19a
NEO-GEO man wrote:

well all of what I am describing works on MVS AOF2. I assume all things being equal it should work for AES as well.

BY 130% do you mean power /energy bar or something else? All of what I learnt was on standard MVS settings. Nothing unsual. I remember seeing level 4, 5 and maybe 6 even. They were never easier than 4 ever.

Murikov wrote:
Hi yf19a and welcome to NGFL.
Thanks a lot for contributing your insights from the past and the tactics to beat every AI enemy. I assume we all from NGFL appreciate that. Thumbs Up

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad I can contribute something new. If you guys have trouble with AOF2 try this and I assure you will never look at this game the same way again. AOF2 for me was always one of the easiest MVS game to play. I have seen many a few fighting games in my days but AOF2 AI takes the cake for being most dumb.

And it is not like doing the same thing over. There are so many neat things in AOF2 that AI was never ever a problem for any of us. So imagine my surprise when I am reading about AOF2 being the hardest of all fighting games Smile

P.S I wrote the detailed version of this tactic in AOF2 GOTW thread. Forgot to mention on thing is that in AOF2 unlike many games it lets you initiate a special move right after another while the animation / frames from first special move is ending. It is not cut animation like KOF but you can actually initiate the physical stick movement for the 2nd move right when the first's animation is ending. If you do this right, you will initiate a 2nd special move without any delay whatsoever between them.
Edited by yf19a on 25. August 2011 17:51

RiKo
Welcome to the forums yf19a Thumbs Up I agree with the other guys that it's interesting to hear you had so many MVS machine in arcades over there. I dont remember there being very many in the UK.

It's very impressive that you owned an AES back in 1995 - even if it didnt work out for you.

hope you enjoy being a member at NG4L Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:

yf19a wrote:
BY 130% do you mean power /energy bar or something else? All of what I learnt was on standard MVS settings. Nothing unsual. I remember seeing level 4, 5 and maybe 6 even. They were never easier than 4 ever.

HE MEANS...
the speed setting YF. The game can be changed between (from memory!) Normal, 110% or 130% gameplay speed! Don't think there's a 'slow' option, but I could be wrong...

Ninja

STE C
yf19a welcome to the greatest gaming site on the net.

NEO-GEO man
Yep, 130% is the top speed setting that is only on the AES version, i dont know if its on CD version or not. It is crazy fast on that setting.

merlin
Welcome to the forum yf19a. I hope you decide to stick around. Thanks for sharing your AOF2 gameplay tips. Thumbs Up

yf19a
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Yep, 130% is the top speed setting that is only on the AES version, i dont know if its on CD version or not. It is crazy fast on that setting.

Then No. All of them were on 100% speed as I remember. I remember playing AOF2 on AES for a little while and speed was default. To check this later in life I played AOF2 on different emulators and the speed at 100% matches.

So all what I wrote was on default MVS speed.

P.S Also all of us kids knew that Takuma was the hardest AI character so you always picked him as first opponent.
Edited by yf19a on 26. August 2011 21:47

AngelaAsakura
Hello and welcome! Nice name by the way. Macross is great. Grin
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 27. August 2011 04:47
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
NEO-GEO man
You havent lived until you have played AOF 2 at 130% speed. Standard speed is really slow if you play right after 130%!!!

yf19a
NEO-GEO man wrote:
You havent lived until you have played AOF 2 at 130% speed. Standard speed is really slow if you play right after 130%!!!

Smile i doubt it very much that I will like it. As I am used to early to mid-90s speed of fighting games as such even KOF 98 is fast for me.

NEO-GEO man
Try it and see. Why wouldnt you like it faster!!!! The faster the better i reckon.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Try it and see. Why wouldnt you like it faster!!!! The faster the better i reckon.

INTERESTING POINT...
as I also know certain friends etc PREFER to play the original SF2 > Turbo due to the static 'normal' speed setting.

I for one like the option of speed settings in my fighters, however, I don't like 'em too fast. AOF2 on standard speed is alright imo. Could probably play it at 110, but not 130! Haven't tried it though, yet Wink

I used to play SNES SF2Turbo a lot with friends as a child. One of my friends ALWAYS insisted in hitting 10 Stars for VS gameplay! Nutter...

Ninja

Jump to Forum: