Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 3480
Thread Info
There are 39 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 15928 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
How do you rate SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom?
Excellent fighting game Excellent fighting game 40%[8 Votes]
It's very good It's very good 50%[10 Votes]
Quite an average game, nothing special Quite an average game, nothing special 10%[2 Votes]
It's terrible! It's terrible! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 20
 Print Thread
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom discussion
merlin
Welcome to Game of the Week!

This week we'll be discussing the 2003 SNK Playmore crossover fighting game 'SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom'. SVC Chaos features a large very diverse cast of characters drawn from both SNK and Capcom fighting game franchises including favourites such as Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Ryo Sakazaki, Ryu, Ken, Guile and many more. There are also multiple different bosses including two secret ones: Athena and Red Arremer. Capcom of course also made two very popular crossover titles of their own featuring SNK characters.

Some people feel this fighter is underrated and deserves more recognition but how do you feel about the game? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts in this week's Game of the Week discussion!

SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/attachments/1_1.png

Genre: Fighting
Players: 1-2
Size: 708 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, PlayStation 2, Xbox

Brief Description:

The gameplay is based on the KOF series (particularly The King of Fighters 2002), with the same four button configuration and many of the same techniques. However, the game does not use the Team Battle format, but follows the traditional round-based one-on-one format. Each match begins with a dialogue exchange between the player's character and the opponent. One new technique introduced in the game is the Front Grand Step, which allows the player to leap towards the opponent and cancel into a basic attack. The player can perform this technique while guarding from an opponent's attack, which will consume one Power Gauge level.

The game uses a different type of Power Gauge known as the Groove Power Gauge System, which has three levels. The Groove gauge fills as the player lands attacks against the opponents or guard attacks. When the gauge fills to Lv. 1 or Lv. 2, the player can perform Super Special Moves, a Guard Cancel Attack or a Guard Cancel Front Step maneuver. When the gauge is full, its reaches MAXIMUM level and a MAX Activation occurs. During MAX Activation, the gauge will change into a timer and the player gains the ability to cancel any of their moves anytime (in addition to Super Special Moves and Guard Cancels). Once the timer runs out, the gauge returns to Lv. 2.

In addition to the regular Super Special Move, each character also has an Exceed move which can only be performed once when the player's life is less than half.

source: Wikipedia

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_124/svctitle.png

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_124/svcselect.gif

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_124/svcshot9.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_124/svcshot2.gif

Reviews:

SVC Chaos review by Raiken

SVC Chaos review by Wes Paul

SVC Chaos review by Custle

SVC Chaos review by Pokejedservo

Videos:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

SVC Chaos match playlist by AcidGlow

High Score Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=3378

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#19 Zupapa -->

#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#21 The Last Blade -->

#22 Crossed Swords -->

#23 Cyber Lip -->

#24 Samurai Shodown -->

#25 King of the Monsters -->

#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#29 Neo Bomberman -->

#30 Metal Slug -->

#31 Kabuki Klash -->

#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#33 Mutation Nation -->

#34 Blazing Star -->

#35 World Heroes -->

#36 King of Fighters '96 -->

#37 Neo Drift Out -->

#38 Magical Drop 2 -->

#39 Top Hunter -->

#40 Savage Reign -->

#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#45 Super Sidekicks -->

#46 Sengoku 2 -->

#47 Metal Slug 3 -->

#48 Burning Fight -->

#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#51 King of Monsters 2 -->

#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#53 World Heroes 2 -->

#54 Last Resort -->

#55 Rage of the Dragons -->

#56 League Bowling -->

#57 Metal Slug 4 -->

#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#59 Puzzle Bobble -->

#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#61 Robo Army -->

#62 Captain Tomaday -->

#63 Metal Slug 5 -->

#64 King of Fighters '97 -->

#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#66 The Super Spy -->

#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#68 Ghost Pilots -->

#69 Iron Tank -->

#70 Magical Drop 3-->

#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#73 Viewpoint -->

#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#76 Beast Busters -->

#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->

#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->

#79 Ninja Combat -->

#80 Neo Turf Masters -->

#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->

#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->

#83 King of Fighters '98 -->

#84 Wind Jammers -->

#85 Samurai Shodown III -->

#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->

#87 Eight Man -->

#88 Street Hoops -->

#89 Galaxy Fight -->

#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
Edited by merlin on 28. August 2011 14:28
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Nice to see GOTW back in action!

As some of you might know, I'm a big fan of this game.

True, the cast could have been better (Choi WTF?!), but I think they put in most of the people who had to be there.

The Capcom sprites are honestly some of the best looking 2D sprites available for the characters (Guile, Demitri, Sagat). I love the pre-battle dialogue, as most seem to be true to character. Of course, the one-on-one bouts are a nice break from teams.

True, some of the Capcom characters just didn't cut the mustard, in terms of power. But in all honesty a lot of the SNK chars in CVS2 weren’t treated great either (Terry in CVS2 was POORLY done). It’s hard to “balance” characters from two different games, with completely different game mechanics and game play strategies, both Capcom (with CVS2) and SNK didn’t exactly get it right.

I enjoy this game a lot and at one point, I was pretty good at it. Probably invested more time in this game than a lot of other SNK fighter titles.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 21. August 2011 17:07
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Wonderboy
Finally!

This is a good game, I wouldn't say great. Ultimately, it feels rushed (and it was), but it should satisfy the HxC SNK fighting gamer. However, I do prefer this over CvS and its sequel... SvC MOTM, though, is the best game in the SNK-Capcom series! Grin

P.S. Wasn't this EC's job? Did he bail out again? LOL
Edited by Wonderboy on 21. August 2011 17:37

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Murikov
Finally a new GOTW (I think it needs to be updated in the GOTW box as well, on the right side of the front page, but never mind that detail)!

As for SVC:CHAOS itself, I must admit my love to it here and now. I might not be explicitly the best at it, but for me it's definitely one the best SNKP games (Playmore being the operative word), and especially on the Neo Geo. Nevertheless it's a title I proudly own as AES version and keep it like a treasure.

At the first sight, SVC:CHAOS's presentation, characters or gameplay might appear slightly rushed and especially unusual. I've heard also many Capcom followers / non-SNK-players complaining about the graphics as well (but not anyone's aware that SVC:CHAOS was developed on over 20 years old hardware, gosh).

But after giving it a go for some time, it really grows on one (especially while playing the VS mode). The overall presentation is fantastic, the artwork out of this world (that's not usual for Falcoon), the gameplay is fast paced, intensive and, most important, pretty fun.

After all I think that the character selection is pretty original and innovative, I mean who expected Tessa, Genjuro, Earthquake or Hugo to be in such a crossover game? It's way less obvious than just picking Cammy, Haohmaru, Nakoruru or Zangief as Capcom did in their CVS series. Of course some might have prefered to see regular ones intstead of those exotic birds, but I'm absolutely ok with it. And even more innovative are the character dialogue exchanges, I still haven't seen all possible conversations which concern personal clashes, misunderstandings or provocations (thanks to SNKP this feature also enriches KoFXIII).

The only factor not so strong imo is the OST, which is partly quite lame. I think it was supposed to match with the eerie atmosphere of most stages, but I'm sure that more KoF typical tracks like Violent Ken's / Orochi Iori's Theme would have been better welcomed.

In a nutshell, this is an excellent, really underrated piece of Neo Geo's late history and should be enjoyed from time to time, at best with a worthy challenger.

1st Super Tobalman wrote:
SvC MOTM, though, is the best game in the SNK-Capcom series!

Despite my love to SVC:CHAOS, I must agree with you on that. Thumbs Up
Edited by Murikov on 21. August 2011 19:30
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

STE C
I have always been more of an SNK man than Capcom, although both companies used to release great games this is the one instance were I prefer Capcoms effort over SNKs. I suppose Capcom had a slight advantage having the luxury of the Naomi arcade board that is far more powerful than the NG hence prettier graphics.
To be honest SVC is a game I have never bothered much with, although I own it on Xbox and have a hacked version on my multicart the game despite the cool graphics ( which in fairness are very good). This may sound odd but I have never been a fan of crossover games apart from Capcom vs SNK as I do not like the idea of the Streetfigher cast being in an SNK game, probably due to the character design not being a patch on SNKs.

From what I have played of the game I think its pretty good and I should really dedicate time to it but its difficult to find the motivation especially when I simply enjoy KOF03 so much more. Another game that has great graphics is NG Battle Coliseum but I find it hard to play it enjoy as it feels wrong having Last Blade/SS characters fighting KOF/FF people. I know its a bit weird but they are different games set in different time zones and it does not work for me as it could never really happen despite them after all just being games.
Edited by STE C on 21. August 2011 20:01

merlin
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
P.S. Wasn't this EC's job? Did he bail out again? LOL

Cat is a little busy right now but will start doing GOTW again at some point.

Murikov wrote:
I think it needs to be updated in the GOTW box as well, on the right side of the front page, but never mind that detail!

You're right but unfortunately I'm not able to change that picture. Hopefully Priest or one of the other admins can do it.

STE C wrote:
This may sound odd but I have never been a fan of crossover games apart from Capcom vs SNK as I do not like the idea of the Streetfigher cast being in an SNK game, probably due to the character design not being a patch on SNKs.

STE C wrote:
Another game that has great graphics is NG Battle Coliseum but I find it hard to play it enjoy as it feels wrong having Last Blade/SS characters fighting KOF/FF people. I know its a bit weird but they are different games set in different time zones and it does not work for me as it could never really happen despite them after all just being games.

That's pretty much how I feel too STE. I was starting to think I was on my own on this one! I've never liked the idea of crossover games. It just feels strange to mix such diverse characters from very different fighting games like this. The SF and FF/AOF/KOF characters don't go too badly together but it becomes a bit silly IMO when you've also got the likes of Tabasa, Zero, Earthquake, Genjuro, Shiki, Demetri etc. in there as well. When it comes to crossover games it's like if you were in the kitchen making pasta sauce and included every type of herb you had in the cupboard. It wouldn't make the sauce taste any better just strange.

On the positive side I think the SVC Chaos gameplay has a good feel about it and I like the style of the backgrounds. However I just can't enjoy this game because of the bizarre character roster. I'm sure the majority of people feel differently from me and would probably really enjoy this game.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

peiper
I'm a huge fan of both capcom and snk....this is probably my most expensive game purchase and i don't regret it one bit...sure the hit boxes are a bit weird but the character roster, art, anddialog more than make up for it in my opinion.

the hidden characters are indeed overpowered but i just play for fun and it doesn't bother me...

NEO-GEO man
Ive got it for AES, and bought it brand new, LOVE it after i got it working!!! I had to repair it when i got it, cause whoever was on soldering duty to add the extra little board mustve been off taking a leak when it came time to solder at least 1 of the wires....

Great game, havent had alot of time to play it though, but i do love it Smile

peiper
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Ive got it for AES, and bought it brand new, LOVE it after i got it working!!! I had to repair it when i got it, cause whoever was on soldering duty to add the extra little board mustve been off taking a leak when it came time to solder at least 1 of the wires....

Great game, havent had alot of time to play it though, but i do love it Smile

the same thing happened to me too...after a few moths of owning it suddenly the sound became garbled / static...i've asked everywhere but nobody seemed to know. then i saw some thread explaining that his cart too has the same problem and when he opened it there's a loose wire on the extra chip. soldered it back on and problem solved Smile

NEO-GEO man
Yeah i had abit of trouble getting a reply out of NEO Store, so i got sick of waiting and fixed it myself.

reelmojo
First off, I'm very happy that Game of the Week is back! Smile

SVC Chaos was probably one of the first SNK games that I bought almost immediately after it was released. At the time I had recently discovered the fact that SNK fighters are better than Capcom's and as a result I didn't play CVS2 until years later.

I love the character choices they made for this game! I think they did a great job of picking enough main characters who you'd expect to make it in and throwing in a bunch of characters that just make people happy. I had no clue who Shiki was at the time (and I'd guess most people still don't) but I instantly fell in love with her. Mars People probably elicited more than a few "WTF"s from most players, but his inclusion was a pretty kick ass way to bring SNK's most popular non-fighting game franchise into the mix. As for Capcom's side, why is it that SNK recognizes how awesome Tessa is but Capcom doesn't!? Also, Violent Ken was a great homage to the SFII animated movie.

Graphically, the backgrounds are just depressing... and I mean that in a good way! Combine that with the fact that everyone was redrawn for the game (and Capcom's characters have never looked better) and you actually have an anomaly on your hands. SNK made a crossover game featuring a somewhat random roster and was actually able to give it an overall thematic feel. Not only is that quite a feat, it absolutely cannot be said about CVS2.

Since I've just gushed about the game so far I feel I should mention some negatives, although it's mostly nitpicking. Capcom's roster has too much Street Fighter! They could have added more Darkstalkers characters, or drawn from Rival Schools or Power Stone. It just feels like there's less variety on the Capcom side, even though what variety is there is pretty cool. Also, SNK's side could have used a Last Blade character. If Setsuna had replaced Choi I don't think anyone would have complained. Lastly, it's not the most balanced game, but with my friends that never really mattered all that much since I'm the best of my friends at 2D fighters and I'm not very good at this one.

If you ask me, this game was and is begging for a sequel. Capcom's all kinds of busy though, so it's more likely we'll get NGBC2 first. Not that I would complain about that!

Also, the NeoGeo faithful are extremely lucky that this got released on the classic hardware. It wasn't long afterward that SNK moved on to the Atomiswave platform and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Capcom was pushing them to make SVC for more powerful hardware during development.

peiper
reelmojo wrote:

If you ask me, this game was and is begging for a sequel. Capcom's all kinds of busy though, so it's more likely we'll get NGBC2 first. Not that I would complain about that!

Also, the NeoGeo faithful are extremely lucky that this got released on the classic hardware. It wasn't long afterward that SNK moved on to the Atomiswave platform and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Capcom was pushing them to make SVC for more powerful hardware during development.

As i recall both capcom and snk signed an agreement for two fighting game. Both companies worked independently without the any input from the others.

from capcom side we have cvs 1 and cvs 2 ( i guess cvs pro didnt count cause it's just a remix )

from snk side there's match of the millenium for the neo pocket and svc chaos. please correct me if i'm wrong cause it's just something i read a long time ago.

-SD-
Out of the entire SNK/Capcom series the only ones I've never owned or played are Card Fighters Clash 2 and SVC Chaos, unfortunately. I do reckon this will probably be one of the next AES games I purchase though.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

RiKo
Merlin wrote :- That's pretty much how I feel too STE. I was starting to think I was on my own on this one! I've never liked the idea of crossover games. It just feels strange to mix such diverse characters from very different fighting games like this. The SF and FF/AOF/KOF characters don't go too badly together but it becomes a bit silly IMO when you've also got the likes of Tabasa, Zero, Earthquake, Genjuro, Shiki, Demetri etc. in there as well. When it comes to crossover games it's like if you were in the kitchen making pasta sauce and included every type of herb you had in the cupboard. It wouldn't make the sauce taste any better just strange.

My feeling on cross over games are fairly neutral but for different reasons to you guys.. Lots of people seem to get really excited by them, but surely they are never as good as the games set completely in their own location/universe? There are just so many fighting games and with fighting games you need to put a lot of time into them so i just let most of the crossover games pass me by. Thats why i quite liked the Marvel Vs Capcom games just cos they were very accessible - crazy and unbalanced yes - but fun

Having said all that about crossover games i actually quite liked SVC Chaos. When i got my Neo Geo one of my friends said 'that's the console where you can play Streetfighter II isnt it?' er..no but its kind of possible with this game. This game just seemed fun, its not amazing but it's a good game and i enjoyed playing it.

Incidentally when i got my Neo Geo my brother said 'That has an amazing version of R-Type on it doesnt it?' (probably thinking of the PC Engine) er. no but i suppose it has Pulstar. close again Smile The Neo Geo is clearly the console ordinary people have heard of but actually know nothing about Smile
Edited by RiKo on 22. August 2011 17:32
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Wonderboy
Crossovers (x) are (or were, I should say) supposed to be special, one-off things — the Marvel vs. DC comic series comes to mind. I'm all for a clash of titans, as long as it happens once every blue moon, but with the way things have been going lately, I can see what you guys mean about the oversaturated recipe analogy. SNK did it quite tastefully, IMO. Capcom, on the other hand, has ruined the concept by saturating the fighting genre with x after x. They should've just left it at CvS and been done with it. Now, it (the concept in general) isn't even special, and is just, "Oh, look, another x game by Capcom." It still goes on to this day (but not with SNK, of course)... I don't know what SNK was thinking by doing Battle Coliseum, but it wasn't nearly as offensive (blatant cash-in) as Capcom's shameless offerings (Fighting Evolution, is just one). I really didn't get the whole Mortal Kombat x DC either.

P.S. Someone asked if SNK had any other offerings to the SvC series: yes; non-video game wise, there was a comic book series (only in English?), and a physical trading card game based on the CFC series (in Japan). Oh, and SNK released CFC on the DX eventually. Grin
Edited by Wonderboy on 22. August 2011 21:34

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
reelmojo
It seems people are so passionate about some of these characters that seeing them in a game where they're out of place just feels wrong. I don't feel that way, but I get it.

Perhaps the best way to do a crossover game is something like Pocket Fighter. With that one Capcom completely embraced the over the top craziness . That game needed a sequel too!

NeoStrayCat
To me, SVC is good/bad in some ways, more better than others, but wish it would continue though...
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
reelmojo
I just wanted to remind everyone about the high score challenge for this game. I just spent a good amount of time trying to enter it, but completing the game with no continues on the standard difficulty just isn't going to happen for me. I did the best with Akuma, Iori, and Shiki but to no avail. I had a hell of a time building any meter with Akuma but that problem seemed to go away instantly once I switched to Iori.

I want to take a moment now to talk about Shiki. Sweet Lord, I love her character design! I think SNK has severely underutilized one of their best character designs in her. After she appeared in SVC Chaos and then NGBC I was really hoping she'd be added to the next Samurai Shodown game, but perhaps the thought process was to ignore the whole Yuga storyline of the SS64 games much like what they eventually did with the KOFMI series. It's a shame though. They could have at least added her to Samurai Shodown Sen.

Oh, and did I mention I hate Goenitz? No? Well... I hate Goenitz.

NeoGeoNinja
IT'S ALWAYS EASIER...
to post your feelings etc on games when your the FIRST out of the gate. As such, I'm one of the last to the party here, thus, I've read many PPL's thoughts and feelings on this game, and I can't help but want to discuss them!

ANYWAY...
in basic terms, I'm a big fan of this game. Perhaps, over-excitedly, I plumped for the top option in the poll, but looking at it more objectively, I should have gone for the 2nd, as it is, a really good game. Nice, well-rounded and solid in fact.

I really like graphical style of this game and, I think going for the KOF approach was probably the most logical, although a 4-button RBout looking title would have been most ideal imo, to help capture SNK and Capcoms 'characters' a bit more. While the KOF style is awesome, it lacks character on the whole... just my opinion. I really like the switch to more desolate surroundings, as opposed to large tournament surroundings (If you get chance to read the graphic novels, it gives you a better insight into why fights are staged in such places) and overall, the more bleak tone really appeals to me. I guess its a bit more SS in that respect. The music too, I think, is really good. Again, it takes itself quite seriously, and tries to make the whole thing more of an unseen, yet mildly epic event in history. Favourite location to fight is definitely the combination of the visuals and music of 'Nude Place'. I adore that level. Although SVC may lack in the front end dept it STILL has a very pronounced feel of 'strength' and quality to it. Somehow, it still really shouts NEO•GEO, but in a more understated way. It's difficult to explain.

REGARDING THE ROSTER...
yep, you guessed it (predictably) I really like it. I too feel that the Capcom side was being 'played safe' however the inclusions of the likes of Tessa/Tabasa (one of my main characters), Demitiri, V.Ken and Megaman Zero is help off set that issue nicely. As 'Mojo has already alluded too, I really don't get how Capcom have forgotten the likes of Tessa and Mai Ling - most notably missing from CFJam! It's great to get to finally use Tessa outside of Warzard (desperately missing a console release!). For me, I would have included different characters from Dhalsim and Hugo. I just dislike Dhalsim I'm afraid and am RELIEVED to see that the 'other 3' were not included too. So I count my blessings, I guess. Also, Hugo just doesn't fit for me. I can't help but feel like he was put in as some kind of point making exercise regarding placing the biggest SF3 character in a NeoGeo game. I can think of MANY better SF3 inclusions myself, but hey.

The SNK side is pretty decent too. Again, it was great to see the usual likes of Mai, Terry, Ryo, Kim etc alongside a "KOF'd" Earthquake, Genjuro and Shiki. Earthquake plays immensely and Shiki plays at there best here too imo - better than her NGBC countepart too. Mr Karate in KOF form is also a fantastic bonus. For me though, I'd swap out Kasumi and Choi for more favourable entrants... perhaps Andy and Joe even (SNK poster boys!).

Overall I love SVC Chaos. I think that the gameplay definitely takes some adjusting to, because regardless of it's aesthetic similarities to KOF, it really doesn't play the same. It feels different, but once it clicks, it becomes fairly positive feeling and addicting imo. This is a game I still play regularly and, as per usual, is best played in 2P vs. Of course, the obvious bonus of this game is that PPL who are not so well versed in the way of SNK can pick up and play the likes of Ryu, Ken, Chun Li etc.

The games main drawback is the fact that it is animated using the KOF animations style. Unfortunately, this breeds comparisons with the KOF universe - especially in 2003! PPL can't seem to escape the decision to make SVC a standalone 1-on-1 fighter, with a tighter roster. Truth be told though, the roster (inc. unlockable characters) is still pretty hefty! We're looking at well over 30+ characters all in all.

AS FOR DISLIKING X-OVERS...
I for one, absolutely LOVE crossover games. For me, it was Capcoms XMEN vs SF that got that ball rolling. The idea at the time (seeing screenshots) of Street Fighter Alpha and Xmen COTA merged into one, was not only unthinkable, but also unbelievably amazing. And sure enough, upon playing it, it was all it promised to be! Marvel vs SFighter was also of absolute amazement, being even better than XMvsSF... imo.

But as Tobalman has already alluded to, Capcom managed to cheapen the VS moniker, especially when they pushed the VS series outside of the first 3 installments (of which, all were great!). MVC2 signified the beginning of a significant drop in quality for the VS series, which was a massive shame considering the potential it had. Now we have the 2.5D VS series of new, and whilst they ARE decent games, they just don't have the magic of those original releases. Flogging a dead horse comes to mind, although TvC was a nice fresh step in a different direction at the time Smile

Seemingly some of the reasons for a dislike in Xovers vary. One of which is that the Xover game cannot be of the same standard or quality of the individual licensed titles - like say Capcom VS SNK. Although PPL are NOT going to like what I have to say, CVS2 for me, still stands as one of the greatest moments in 2D fighter history, ever. It played great, looked great, had all the necessary options and massive longevity on the whole. I appreciate that if you are SNK 'only' it probably wouldn't appeal, but I burn a candle for both SNK & Capcom, thus I loved Capcoms take on SNK's characters. I think most were the best they'd ever been at that point (10 years ago!). I agree that the game experience will differ somewhat from the original source materials (KOF & SF etc) however, I don't feel CVS2 was any the poorer for it. Just different again, which is what a Xover should be. Nay, it HAS to be.

Other individuals gripes with unfitting characters? Well, I guess that's a personal hurdle. It really bothers me not one jot. In fact, in most circumstances, I welcome as much diversity as possible (I don't mean weird characters, just different characters). Having Genjuro vs Violent Ken for example in SVC is fantastic - regardless of swords, time periods etc. I understand if this phases PPL, but it really doesn't affect the quality of the game... unless you put f*cking Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur of course! Shock

AND FINALLY...
as for SVC being better than the CVS games? I really struggle to see this. Both the CVS' are great games, regardless of whatever crap you read about balancing issues etc. Fuck! You want balancing issues? Look no further than SVC Chaos! As for SNK characters being 'nerfed'? Terry is absolutely shit hot in CVS series... lethal in fact. Many of the SNK characters are. Again, it's all down to personal opinion but, as much as I love SVC Chaos, I would never put it above the CVS series. Sorry.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

peiper
something has been bothering me for quite some time...in my japanese aes copy of svc, all the boss are instantly selectable without code...my console is japanese and i don't have any unibios installed.

the reason i asked is that everywhere on the net stated that you need to enter code to get the boss..perhaps someone with a copy can confirm this? Shrug

Jump to Forum: