Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 3437
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3292 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The 'HIT BOX' - Ever seen these before??
NeoGeoNinja
CHANCES ARE...
if you're name isn't Bullet or Wild Tengu/Running Wild (yes, I never forgot you Wink ) that you may not have heard of or seen one of these in action.

CHANCES ARE...
this may have been discussed or mentioned before here on NGFL, but I was obviously hiding under a rock (or hit with a rock HARD!) and just never saw it. I also think it qualifies for it's own thread as opposed to the Cool Video's thread.

I'LL GIVE MY OPINIONS...
after the video here. Give it a watch... THINK about this (i.e. the potential) and then let me know what you think:

YouTube Video

SEE? IT'S QUITE EASY...
to write off in your own mind perhaps as a 'no, no' or as daft, however, I believe that certain individuals could definitely benefit from this crazy controller!

The first thing that came to mind were *surprise surprise* PC/Keyboard players. This is kind of the dream peripheral for them! I remember playing some dude on KOF 98 (AES) @R3PLAY last November, and he kept reiterating to me how much better he was using a KB! Fuck... maybe HE invented it?? If so, lets hope I DON'T bump into him at this years gig! Hahahaha... I'm kidding of course. But if he did invent it, Ima gonna lie and tell everyone that I GAVE HIM the idea Wink Waaaaahahahahhahaaaaa Grin

Seriously though, whaddya think? Like I said... I'd never seen one before, but they've been around for a little while now...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NEO-GEO man
That would take an amazing amount of practice to get into....

LIFE_IN_2D
Lol the lengths some people will go to in order to avoid getting good with a stick... pfft. I doubt you'll ever see a tournament class player bust-out one of these things .
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 30. July 2011 03:35
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

cthulhu
I'm at a loss for words here...
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

STE C
Bloody hell I know keyboards are great for FPS thats a fair comment but fighting games umm, I assume you gave him a hiding Ninja as you tend to give most people a bashing on fighters from my experience. R3 was great last year anybody at all interested should make the journey it really is worth the effort.

shion
Oh, interesting. First off, I am an advocate against keyboard usage (specifically with Kaillera netplay or other retro netplay), and the first thing that came to mind was indeed a keyboard, except with buttons, not keys. Not my cup of tea, but it really looks like we've come full circle when there is a service catering to gamers who grew up using keyboards and who want to transition into console-style retro games!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Bullet
Yeah, I've seen these and heard of people playing fighters on a keyboard, by choice, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
I just don't see why anyone would choose to play that way, I mean sure different strokes and all, but why not get a usb stick or adapter and play games the way they were meant to be played?
I also agree that someone trying to play competitively this way, would have a tough road ahead, for sure.

In a lot of ways, the arcade stick is kinda like the invention of the wheel, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
Our very own Cat plays with the keyboard and is a *very* skilled player from what i have heard.

its a nice idea but i am a bit against alternate controllers because i think they make the game easier in some ways. SF was designed for use with a stick and the special moves are meant to take some skill to execute with a stick. I think using buttons to do quarter circles and dragon punches is much easier and quicker once you get to grips with it. Also should you ever find yourself in an arcade or tournament surely you are screwed if you cant play with a stick. what next? -assigning one button to each special move? Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
Also should you ever find yourself in an arcade or tournament surely you are screwed if you cant play with a stick. what next? -assigning one button to each special move? Smile

THE SAME COULD BE SAID...
about the threads author then, surely? As I don't actively use sticks on a serious basis, and neither do any of my friends - and we're more than capable at fighting games (I'd say casual to mid-level) probably like many here. But yeah, we don't enjoy using the controllers that we are apparently supposed to use.

You could use a pad at a tournament if you wanted, I'm sure. But chances are, top-level players have fully embraced the advantages a stick layout offers. As for frequenting Arcades?? Hahaha... maybe if we lived in Japan, that may be an issue Grin

I think the analogy to assigning specials/supers to a single button (like on SF4 via a 3DS or iPhone) is perhaps a little strong!

People should just use what controllers suit them best... HitBox's, Keyboards, Sticks, Pads... whatever, although I DO AGREE, if it offers a ridiculous advantage, then less so.

Ninja

LIFE_IN_2D
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
You could use a pad at a tournament if you wanted, I'm sure. But chances are, top-level players have fully embraced the advantages a stick layout offers. As for frequenting Arcades?? Hahaha... maybe if we lived in Japan, that may be an issue Grin

Ninja

In all honesty, I think that arcade sticks are embraced by top-players for one particular reason : they get the job done best. It's no coincidence that you don't see people bringing a pad to top dollar fighting tournaments.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 31. July 2011 16:45

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
In all honesty, I think that arcade sticks are embraced by top-players for one particular reason : they get the job done best. It's no coincidence that you don't see people bringing a pad to top dollar fighting tournaments.

BUT...

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
You could use a pad at a tournament if you wanted, I'm sure. But chances are, top-level players have fully embraced the advantages a stick layout offers...

?...

Ninja

LIFE_IN_2D
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:

BUT...

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
You could use a pad at a tournament if you wanted, I'm sure. But chances are, top-level players have fully embraced the advantages a stick layout offers...

?...

Ninja

?...
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 31. July 2011 18:23

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

RiKo
Ninja - but im not sure whether the Hitbox would exist if it didnt offer a significant advantage. To give an example - to do a move where you had to move the joystick back, forward, forward + Punch. Its much faster with buttons than with a stick, and where as you could accidentally push a joystick diagonally back instead of just back - you cant make that mistake with buttons.

i definitely find a pad *faster* for some moves and i actually use one for Tekken 6 - and that's the 360 pad!, it just seems faster doing the moves esp when you can slide your thumb from one button to another + having your thumb overlapping 2 buttons at once. Doing throws also seems easier. However in other areas a stick is easier i think (Streetfighter) - such as rotating the stick to do half circles and full circles. The thing is with both a pad and a stick if you are holding the stick/pad left - to then push it to the right, requires a little distance, a little time. but with buttons for left + right. 1,2 bam lightning fast, you can have a finger over each - no neutral in between. Gives you an advantage

im sure learning the hitbox does require a lot of skill, but i think once you are proficient it will be faster to do some moves than on a stick/pad. There are imbalances between a pad and stick but i think the disadvantages/advantages of each balance out more.
Edited by RiKo on 31. July 2011 20:21
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: